I am so angry. Izdick is a tool.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cant have a real debate so you resort to attacks using your own twists. you said you were 30 years old. act like it

In his defense it's sort of impossible to defend a GM that in 1/18 in drafts and even worse in free agency.

anyone without an agenda could see it was in question form to you. did you honestly not compute that? I think you are a smart dude and I think you did compute it properly. so that leaves us with your agenda driven twists again. I am an easy enough target with my typing and misspelling, so there is no need to make sh*t up if you want to mock me and have fun. stick to what is real

Fine.  If you insist on making "Izdick is a ******* tool" into a serious thread...

I don't think Idzik is great.  I don't know what he is.  What I do know is the team is better now than when he got here.  In my opinion, it is a lot better.  But, that has as much to do with just how bad I thought this team was by the end of the Tannenbaum era as anything else.

I think Idzik's restraint is admirable.  We all know CB is a weakness right now.  Reportedly, we tried to sign Vontae Davis.  I think this would have been a good signing.  He went back to his previous team, a better team.  Can't blame anyone for that.  We could have thrown a lot of money at a guy like DRC, but I don't think that's a good move for a guy who's had 1 good year.  I don't think Verner was a good fit and I don't think Revis was an actual possibility.  I think Milliner is improving and I'm not that worried about #2 CB at the present.

As for the offensive line, it's not great right now.  But I also am not going to kill the GM for going with the young guys, of which he has 3 (along with Colon).  We are not in an Adrian Clarke situation.  They aren't THAT bad.  We could certainly be better, but we've got youth and the opportunity for someone to develop.  At RT, I think we made a lateral move.  We need to be a team that develops talent on the line.  Those are the teams that are successful.  So, I don't hate letting these guys play.

Why?  Because even with DRC and a better offensive line, we're not a championship caliber team yet.  For many reasons.  So, I'm willing to let this season be about improvement.

The other nonsense, and I know it's not you saying that, that we're 1/18 in the draft is silly.  Considering we've got our starting QB, who obviously has a long way to go, but played well enough down the stretch to merit a longer look, we've got a stud DT, and we've got an improving #1 CB.  The other guys haven't stepped on the field so some of the judgment that's going on is absurd.

That's about it.  Being an "Idzik Lover" is apparently akin to being okay with incremental growth right now while not signing any bad contracts.  GMs are less visibly defined by the decisions they don't make, and I think while Idzik has not been at all perfect, he hasn't made any real bad decisions that will truly hurt the team.  READ: SANCHEZ CONTRACT, HOLMES CONTRACT, TRADING AWAY DRAFT PICKS.  So, I don't know what the results will be, but I'm cool with the direction.  Hopefully Geno takes a big step forward.  That will make a lot of things better.  If not, hope we go hard after a top QB next year.

/Enjoy the rest of your afternoon.

while hindsight is 20:20, looking back at it, I would have loved Idzik to go get Revis.  word was Revis was even up for a reunion.

the bumbling of the DRC signing really irked me and signing Patterson over Cro for basically the same amount of money does too.

I'm an Idzik fan and I hope he has all the success in the world, but I just watched Manziel's debut against Detroit and he's probably already better than Geno is at this point. Idzik better have a Plan B if Geno sucks, and that Plan B better be ******* spectacular if Manziel (and/or Bridgewater) are good.

I'm an Idzik fan and I hope he has all the success in the world, but I just watched Manziel's debut against Detroit and he's probably already better than Geno is at this point. Idzik better have a Plan B if Geno sucks, and that Plan B better be ******* spectacular if Manziel (and/or Bridgewater) are good.

The 2015 draft.  As planned.

you talkin' 'bout pre-season ?   pre-season ?

Manziel would have been an even bigger cluster**** here than Tebow was.  There was no player in the entire draft who the Jets needed to stay further away from.

Manziel would have been an even bigger cluster**** here than Tebow was. There was no player in the entire draft who the Jets needed to stay further away from.

It's all moot if Manziel is a cokehead who spends his career getting stuffed into police cars, but in the small sample I watched yesterday, he was doing the same things he did vs Alabama. If that continues, there are going to be a bunch of nervous GMs.

It's all moot if Manziel is a cokehead who spends his career getting stuffed into police cars, but in the small sample I watched yesterday, he was doing the same things he did vs Alabama. If that continues, there are going to be a bunch of nervous GMs.

Vs. guys who will be bagging groceries in 5 weeks.  Cleveland is so confident in him based on that incredible peformance, they still havent named him the starter.

The Chris Johnson signing didn't seem like an Idzik move. He's not very good anymore, IMO and will be a pain if he thinks he's nt getting enough carries. Which is probably going to happen because the line stinks.

With all if those picks we probably could have taken a back in the mid rounds instead of a kick returner.

The Chris Johnson signing didn't seem like an Idzik move. He's not very good anymore, IMO and will be a pain if he thinks he's nt getting enough carries. Which is probably going to happen because the line stinks.

With all if those picks we probably could have taken a back in the mid rounds instead of a kick returner.

I have high hopes for CJ. Guy played with a torn meniscus last year and still put up a 1000-yard season on a mediocre team. 

Why do you keep saying the line stinks? 

right on here. it doesn't seem like an idzik move. chris probably has some gas left in the tank,but doesn't seem to fit into any long term plans. running back is a young mans position.mid round speedy pick,use him up on his rookie contract,let him walk during free agency,rinse and repeat

right on here. it doesn't seem like an idzik move. chris probably has some gas left in the tank,but doesn't seem to fit into any long term plans. running back is a young mans position.mid round speedy pick,use him up on his rookie contract,let him walk during free agency,rinse and repeat

I think that, as much as anything, CJ was brought in here to aid in Smith's development. Sometimes a QB - even established, good veterans - need that extra something where someone else does the heavy lifting for one down. Dump it off (or just hand it off) and we gain some big yardage without a bigtime throw. Like a get out of jail free card. Goodson was supposed to be that guy but, well, that one didn't work out too well.

As much as it is a young man's position (totally agree), being a good receiver he could stick around longer than most. He could still be very good/productive for a few more years, even if he isn't taking 200 handoffs anymore. Like Kevin Faulk, except faster.

For primary backs, I agree with the strategy you outlined for the most part. I'm ok with an in between, like we're doing, since none of them are bank-breakers with big guarantees, but I do dislike the idea of signing a veteran RB - who's already taken years of lumps - for $7M/year (or more) with 2-3 years' worth guaranteed. He'd have to be more than just good; he'd have to be uniquely good, like Peterson or Charles, who have something extra that maybe 5 guys in the league have (if that many).

I don't get Chris Johnson not being an Idzik move.  He is a short term deal.  They acquired two vet RBs off their first contracts last year.  Idzik has been speed crazy since he got here and had a chance to grab possibly the fastest player ever.  Seems fitting to me.  Top that off with all the RB being a young man's position talk.  That makes these guys actually a bit of a bargain.  I know Johnson is an older dude with some injury concerns, but compare his contract with a guy like say Boldin and it certainly seems reasonable.

I think that, as much as anything, CJ was brought in here to aid in Smith's development. Sometimes a QB - even established, good veterans - need that extra something where someone else does the heavy lifting for one down. Dump it off (or just hand it off) and we gain some big yardage without a bigtime throw. Like a get out of jail free card. Goodson was supposed to be that guy but, well, that one didn't work out too well.

As much as it is a young man's position (totally agree), being a good receiver he could stick around longer than most. He could still be very good/productive for a few more years, even if he isn't taking 200 handoffs anymore. Like Kevin Faulk, except faster.

For primary backs, I agree with the strategy you outlined for the most part. I'm ok with an in between, like we're doing, since none of them are bank-breakers with big guarantees, but I do dislike the idea of signing a veteran RB - who's already taken years of lumps - for $7M/year (or more) with 2-3 years' worth guaranteed. He'd have to be more than just good; he'd have to be uniquely good, like Peterson or Charles, who have something extra that maybe 5 guys in the league have (if that many).

To play off of this, I think what CJ brings is also very similar to what the Jets got out of LT for those two years, although even younger and faster.  Sure, LT was a shell of his former self by then and no longer about to be a primary back, but he still did bring a lot of value to the team, especially in the passing game.  While it ultimately wasn't enough to make a difference in the big picture, LT most certainly was a help to Sanchez in those two years (94 receptions, not counting the 2010 postseason).

So while Johnson is certainly no longer his old CJ2K self, I don't think the team's expectations are anywhere close to that.  They've still got Ivory and Powell to split the load with, and plus even brought in Richardson this offseason as well, so it doesn't seem like that was really part of their plans.  It's really a matter of helping out Geno as much as anything else, and while Powell is a very solid receiver in his own right, I don't think anyone will dispute that even at this point in his career, Johnson certainly brings more to the table in that regard.

Chris Johnson and Vick have the same agent. Probably a package deal of some sort.

I don't get Chris Johnson not being an Idzik move.  He is a short term deal.  They acquired two vet RBs off their first contracts last year.  Idzik has been speed crazy since he got here and had a chance to grab possibly the fastest player ever.  Seems fitting to me.  Top that off with all the RB being a young man's position talk.  That makes these guys actually a bit of a bargain.  I know Johnson is an older dude with some injury concerns, but compare his contract with a guy like say Boldin and it certainly seems reasonable.

Yeah, it's a 2 year deal and the 2nd year - for $4M "new money" - is a team option at that. On what will probably be a cap limit in the $135-140M range, it's more than reasonable for a guy who will touch the ball that often. And if ylekram likes his RBs to be disposable (not his word, but that's the gist), CJ and Ivory for the 2 upcoming seasons is as "disposable" as it gets.

2014: $6M total (4.5% of 2014 cap limit)

$2.75M CJ

$1.75M Ivory

$1.53M Powell

2015: $8-9M total, up to $6M of it easily cuttable (neighborhood of 6% of 2014 cap limit)

$5.25M CJ (if all incentives are reached; cuttable to save $4M of it)

$2.75M Ivory (cuttable to save $2M of it)

$0.50M (estimate; 2015 rookie mid-round draft pick)

So it's still totally reasonable for a team that will be running the ball as much as we do, and if CJ ends up showing his age all of a sudden this year, then that 2015 number for a RB trio gets nearly cut in half.

By the way, I just noticed Jason did a total redesign of his site and it kicks ass (http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets). Way more info on the page now and much faster/easier to jump from one season to the next. Jason, if you're reading this: Great job, bro.

By the way, I just noticed Jason did a total redesign of his site and it kicks ass (http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets). Way more info on the page now and much faster/easier to jump from one season to the next. Jason, if you're reading this: Great job, bro.

Yeah, the "Dead Money & Cap Savings" drop-down options in particular are pretty friggin' awesome.

Chris Johnson and Vick have the same agent. Probably a package deal of some sort.

Totally reasonable conclusion, being that they were signed nearly a full month apart. And that, at the time of the Vick signing, Johnson was still on the Titans roster.

March 24 = Vick signed

April 4 = Titans release Johnson

April 9 = Johnson in NY but Jets didn't meet with him

April 16 = Johnson signed

lol

Totally reasonable conclusion, being that they were signed nearly a full month apart. And that, at the time of the Vick signing, Johnson was still on the Titans roster.

March 24 = Vick signed

lol

Subterfuge!

March 24 = Vick signed

lol

Dick

A safety who 's main attribute is being legislated out of the NFL and has already now had concussion #1. WHAT THE F___ WERE THEY THINKING.

I understnad perfectly; QBs picked in round 1 fail like Sanchez. it should not make a franchise gunshy from picking a QB in round 1. And Geno Smith is not so special he deserves any consideration.

Have watched a few shows on NFLN shoing the drafts of 1983 (Marino, Elway, O'Brien) and the one about the year Esiason dropped like a stone. And you see teams taking guys who did NOTHING over QBs who were big contributors. Point being the upside for a good QB for your team is way more impactful than any other position. And again, safeties and guards are mostly failed corners and tackles, either in the pros or in college. May be you get the odd guard who is fast and can pull. They get signed off the street all the time. Jim Leaonard is a perfect example. THERE IS NO SENSIBLE REASON FOR TAKING A SAFETY IN ROUND 1. NONE. And to do so over a QB who could anchor your franchise for a decade is criminal. My fear is someday on NFLN despite Manziel being a douchebag(a quality that has been known to accompany primo QBs) he does in fact become a decent QB, and we see the Jets again mocked for picking a nonfactor instead.

Archived