I am so angry. Izdick is a tool.

Yeah, the "Dead Money & Cap Savings" drop-down options in particular are pretty friggin' awesome.

Hope Ferguson bounces back. He's pretty much locked in here through next season.

Next year's number will actually be a little lower. Wilkerson will get a new deal and I can't see year 1 of that deal having a $7M cap hit. No one does that. Won't be a night & day difference, but it will be closer to the $5M range. Patterson is 50/50; if he gets hurt (as he usually does) he'll probably get dropped since his value was as a stopgap this year or as a full-time guy in the slot for 16 games and so far he doesn't look like he'll be able to provide either. Pace doesn't need another 2013 season to stick around, and his number is very reasonable as long as he doesn't lose another step. And there are others who certainly aren't exactly locks even if they're healthy (Cumberland, Babin, Barnes if he's even still here this year, ditto Hill at $1.5-1.9M apiece).

With enough of the roster not being filled in with UDFA types and 100% of the draft picks (cutting no one because there was really no one better to make the roster anyway), I think next season the team signs some more long-term guys in FA where draft picks or other FAs haven't panned out. CB has to be one of those positions. Possibly OLB. Probably another veteran QB unless Vick wants to be a $4-5M backup again and his options are similar to 2014. Keeping an open mind, maybe RT if Giacomini flops that badly, and guard if one or both of the '13 draftees is still unworthy of a guaranteed starting job. Ditto WR as a possibility, but I think between Decker, re-signing Kerley, and one of this year's draft picks (and possibly another draft pick in '15) they'd prefer to not bring in another high-priced veteran FA WR. But that's every team's preference so I don't think it distinguishes the Jets any differently. And ILB next to Davis, since no GM wants to be forced into taking any position early due to a big hole in the roster.

Not saying those are positions are all ones that we'd sign people to, but just those are the likely possibilities as of today. Nice thing about it is they are positions we'd like to upgrade from rather than positions with absolutely no one at that has prior starting experience or is the obvious next guy up. CB, ILB, and G (if Colon starts and finishes another season) may be exceptions but the latter 2 aren't exactly the hardest positions to fill and we may not even need them. Starting QB, too, but I don't figure there to be a starting QB savior available in free agency.

Roster's in very good shape. I think the missing pieces seem magnified due to present injuries and the (justified) fan-insecurity at QB.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fine.  If you insist on making "Izdick is a ******* tool" into a serious thread...

I don't think Idzik is great.  I don't know what he is.  What I do know is the team is better now than when he got here.  In my opinion, it is a lot better.  But, that has as much to do with just how bad I thought this team was by the end of the Tannenbaum era as anything else.

I think Idzik's restraint is admirable.  We all know CB is a weakness right now.  Reportedly, we tried to sign Vontae Davis.  I think this would have been a good signing.  He went back to his previous team, a better team.  Can't blame anyone for that.  We could have thrown a lot of money at a guy like DRC, but I don't think that's a good move for a guy who's had 1 good year.  I don't think Verner was a good fit and I don't think Revis was an actual possibility.  I think Milliner is improving and I'm not that worried about #2 CB at the present.

As for the offensive line, it's not great right now.  But I also am not going to kill the GM for going with the young guys, of which he has 3 (along with Colon).  We are not in an Adrian Clarke situation.  They aren't THAT bad.  We could certainly be better, but we've got youth and the opportunity for someone to develop.  At RT, I think we made a lateral move.  We need to be a team that develops talent on the line.  Those are the teams that are successful.  So, I don't hate letting these guys play.

Why?  Because even with DRC and a better offensive line, we're not a championship caliber team yet.  For many reasons.  So, I'm willing to let this season be about improvement.

The other nonsense, and I know it's not you saying that, that we're 1/18 in the draft is silly.  Considering we've got our starting QB, who obviously has a long way to go, but played well enough down the stretch to merit a longer look, we've got a stud DT, and we've got an improving #1 CB.  The other guys haven't stepped on the field so some of the judgment that's going on is absurd.

That's about it.  Being an "Idzik Lover" is apparently akin to being okay with incremental growth right now while not signing any bad contracts.  GMs are less visibly defined by the decisions they don't make, and I think while Idzik has not been at all perfect, he hasn't made any real bad decisions that will truly hurt the team.  READ: SANCHEZ CONTRACT, HOLMES CONTRACT, TRADING AWAY DRAFT PICKS.  So, I don't know what the results will be, but I'm cool with the direction.  Hopefully Geno takes a big step forward.  That will make a lot of things better.  If not, hope we go hard after a top QB next year.

/Enjoy the rest of your afternoon.

This is why I come back to this place - nice post!

Going off of last year and the first preseason game. We get no push in the running game anymore and We have a guard who can't pass block.

Id like to see more before I go there. Players improve year to year and apparently Winters has had a solid camp. Breno was good enough for Seattle, don't see why that changes here.

Really don't see the line being a problem at all.

A safety who 's main attribute is being legislated out of the NFL and has already now had concusssion #1. WHAT THE F___ WERE TRHEY THINKING.

I understnad perfectly; QBs picked in round 1 fail like Sanchez. it should not make a franchise gunshy from picking a QB in round 1. And Geno Smith is not so special he deserves and consideration.

Have watched a few shows on NFLN shoing the drafts of 1983 (Marino, Elway, O'Brien) and the one about the year Esiason dropped like a stone. And you see teams taking guys who did NOTHING over QBs who were big contributors. Point being the upside for a good QB for your team is way more impactful than any other position.

And again, safeties and guards are mostly failed corners and tackles, either in the pros or in college. May be you get the odd guard who is fast and can pull. They get signed off the street all the time. Jim Leaonard is a perfect example. THERE IS NO SENSIBLE REASON FOR TAKING A SAFETY IN ROUND 1. NONE. And to do so over a QB who could anchor your franchise for a decade is criminal.

So really what you're saying is that this comes down to your own feelings about Manziel more so than Pryor?  That's fine, but you have to understand a lot of people aren't going to take much from an argument such as that.  Frankly, I think Manziel's going to be a complete failure and would have been a bigger disaster here than anywhere.  I could of course end up being wrong about that, but regardless, such an argument is not going to do anything to convince those who don't already think what you do.

As far as the claim that there is "no sensible reason" to take a safety in the first, at least 1/8th of the NFL disagrees with you, and that's based only on this year's draft alone.

Id like to see more before I go there. Players improve year to year and apparently Winters has had a solid camp. Breno was good enough for Seattle, don't see why that changes here.

Really don't see the line being a problem at all.

Agreed...I think they were 6th in the NFL in rushing last season with constantly facing 8 in the box and no speedsters to back defenses off a bit.  Now with CJ and multiple WR's with 4.4 speed, should be a little easier for the O-line.

Agreed...I think they were 6th in the NFL in rushing last season with constantly facing 8 in the box and no speedsters to back defenses off a bit.  Now with CJ and multiple WR's with 4.4 speed, should be a little easier for the O-line.

who are these multiple 4.4 speed wr's, that will contribute this year,  you speak of?

who are these multiple 4.4 speed wr's, that will contribute this year,  you speak of?

Between Hill, Enunwa, Ford, Saunders, and CJ (who they've been splitting out wide in practice).  Somebody is going to be on the field that the defense can't just ignore.

In addition to another year of continuity on the OL (sans Breno)...their are other factors that help the line too.  Another year in a new system, better WR's, better RB's and most importantly if Geno improves, so does the line.  If he can start processing faster and getting the ball out sooner, the line will be much better.

Either way, I dont think the OL sucks because of one player who apparently is much better this season.

In addition to another year of continuity on the OL (sans Breno)...their are other factors that help the line too.  Another year in a new system, better WR's, better RB's and most importantly if Geno improves, so does the line.  If he can start processing faster and getting the ball out sooner, the line will be much better.

Either way, I dont think the OL sucks because of one player who apparently is much better this season.

Yep, some guys take time to develop and some never do.  You gotta' let them play to find out.  One of the things that drove me nuts about Geno last season (especially in the first few games) was the number of times he had as long as a QB could ask for to throw the ball, and he held on too long.  The sack numbers last year don't really reflect how well they played.

Between Hill, Enunwa, Ford, Saunders, and CJ (who they've been splitting out wide in practice).  Somebody is going to be on the field that the defense can't just ignore.

if hill doesn't start to improve, he will be fighting for a roster spot,not playing time. I don't see enunwa or saunders getting any real offensive playing time at all. ford might see some time on the field,but I don't see him as a player that defensive coordinators are too worried about. with the current starting oline lineup, I don't see their job getting any easier at all.the current starting oline will see it share of problems.run blocking is the least of their worries with this unit

if hill doesn't start to improve, he will be fighting for a roster spot,not playing time. I don't see enunwa or saunders getting any real offensive playing time at all. ford might see some time on the field,but I don't see him as a player that defensive coordinators are too worried about. with the current starting oline lineup, I don't see their job getting any easier at all.the current starting oline will see it share of problems.run blocking is the least of their worries with this unit

You may be 100% right, but I think that out of that group, somebody is gonna' step up. Can't wait to find out.

What's with the make believe non sense that all is fine at the CB position? Even Stevie Wonder can see the problems now coming.  Izdick blew it by NOT signing a top free agent CB. Period. And what's with this bargain hunting crap? With 20+ million to spend on improving the team, why are we counting pennies? What's with this incompatent fool? Geez, has Woody been losing $$$ at the track? Now, because Izdick ignored the problem at CB, the Jets have to take some shots at whatever they can do to get a FEW new cb's into camp and HOPE that one or two can be respectable. What they have on the roster now is pure garbage. Give Asante Samuel a 1 year deal for a million with tons of incentives, Bring in Corey Webster, Quintin Jammer and any other vet to see if they can be half decent. For Gods sake try something! Izdick is quickly turning out to be the Rich Kotite of GM's! By the way, how's the rookie CB from Michigan with Bengals doing? Ask Marvin Lewis... Coach L LOVES him! Why do Jet fans have to go through this Bush league crap over and over? It's Sad. Pathetic. We deserve so much better!

You can be angry all you want. What I need you not to do is curse in thread titles. Just saw this one on the front page and there is no need to curse.

Totally reasonable conclusion, being that they were signed nearly a full month apart. And that, at the time of the Vick signing, Johnson was still on the Titans roster.

March 24 = Vick signed

April 4 = Titans release Johnson

April 9 = Johnson in NY but Jets didn't meet with him

April 16 = Johnson signed

lol

Love this.  Can you just follow Tom around and do this to every one of his posts?  Thanks.

Yep, some guys take time to develop and some never do.  You gotta' let them play to find out.  One of the things that drove me nuts about Geno last season (especially in the first few games) was the number of times he had as long as a QB could ask for to throw the ball, and he held on too long.  The sack numbers last year don't really reflect how well they played.

I think those sack numbers from last year will go up this year. for 2 reasons. I think the jets plan to throw more and breno is just not that great of a pass blocker

Love this.  Can you just follow Tom around and do this to every one of his posts?  Thanks.

He kind of already does, which is why nobody pays attention to Tom anymore and has forced him to go into a completely unbelievable miserable troll schtick that nobody really pay attention to either.  So basically, Sperm has made Shane obsolete.  Its nice. 

I think those sack numbers from last year will go up this year. for 2 reasons. I think the jets plan to throw more and breno is just not that great of a pass blocker

They'll go down.  More WR's who can get open, better RB's with one who's a great WR, 2nd year in the system, continuity on the line and Geno gets better.

They'll go down.  More WR's who can get open, better RB's with one who's a great WR, 2nd year in the system, continuity on the line and Geno gets better.

that's the hope, but imo, I don't think it will become reality. on the bright side, when colon goes down with his yearly, season ending injury, I am dying to see who takes his spot and well they do. I got a really good feeling about Dakota dozier and I am starting to warm up to oday oboushi. I think both of these guys will eventually work out for the jets

that's the hope, but imo, I don't think it will become reality. on the bright side, when colon goes down with his yearly, season ending injury, I am dying to see who takes his spot and well they do. I got a really good feeling about Dakota dozier and I am starting to warm up to oday oboushi. I think both of these guys will eventually work out for the jets

It sucked when Colon went out last year for his yearly season ending injury.

He kind of already does, which is why nobody pays attention to Tom anymore and has forced him to go into a completely unbelievable miserable troll schtick that nobody really pay attention to either.  So basically, Sperm has made Shane obsolete.  Its nice. 

Ironic. Back in his club days it was completely opposite.

that would be great if they did. I am just not counting on much this first year from them

Hey, we're all welcome to set our own expectations.  I get that rooting for this team will make  you expect the least on a regular basis.  I probably would be too if they'd only added one or two speed guys, but I think that with the WR's I mentioned, along with CJ, there are finally guys on the roster who can make a defense regret stacking the box.  If he manages to stick, Darly Richardson is another guy who runs  in the 4.4's who can catch the ball a little bit too.  It's entirely possible that every one of them busts and the Jets are back to square one, but I'm hoping that somebody will step up and make some plays.

Funny you should  say that becuase I heard an interesting quote from a reporter the other day (can't remember who) but basically said something to Rex about all the different options in the backfield with a deep RB cast and he said Rex just smiled.  I wouldn't be shocked if they went back to running it more than throwing it, HOWEVER, throwing it deep more often when they do throw.  So run the hell out of it to draw the defense in, then beat 'em deep when they do.  Sacn numbers could still end up being pretty high though with Geno taking shots down the field.

You mean like a T0mShane Zamboni? Or were you picturing more of like a toilet plunger (or Drano)?

Please tell me so I know what to put on my uniform. It can't just say SPERM on the back. Lol Sperm on the back. I kill me.

You mean like a T0mShane Zamboni? Or were you picturing more of like a toilet plunger (or Drano)?

Please tell me so I know what to put on my uniform. It can't just say SPERM on the back. Lol Sperm on the back. I kill me.

I'm going to write a rap anthem about this.

I had a TomBoni in mind. Slow methodical strokes. Persistence is the key. Sperm we want to make sure you don't miss a spot. If you do, people will trip, lol.

So really what you're saying is that this comes down to your own feelings about Manziel more so than Pryor?  That's fine, but you have to understand a lot of people aren't going to take much from an argument such as that.  Frankly, I think Manziel's going to be a complete failure and would have been a bigger disaster here than anywhere.  I could of course end up being wrong about that, but regardless, such an argument is not going to do anything to convince those who don't already think what you do.

As far as the claim that there is "no sensible reason" to take a safety in the first, at least 1/8th of the NFL disagrees with you, and that's based only on this year's draft alone.

24 teams passed on Marino. !2 on Jim Kelly and Esiason, 31 on Brett Favre, Joe Montana, and Tom Brady. All of them on Kurt Warner. The upside on a QB is way more than on a safety. Granted the chance to fail is there, as with Pick 6. But again a "hard hitting safety"  may not be all that useful in Goodell's NFL. If Manziel is all  that, Idzik and  the other  30 GMs who didn't take him are going to look very shortsighted. Best I can tell they shieed away because he is a loudmouth, likes women and parties like a...22 year old American male with some extra cash in his wallet. KInda missed to where he robs banks. Being a straight male who likes to have a few pops is now grounds for condemnation. 

As to Smith-other than having Tayvon Austin at WV, he was mostly okay. Had occasion to watch the Pinstripe Bowl vs. Syracuse; nothing great. And Manziel lit up a whole bunch of SEC defenses in ways Smith could only dream about. 

In short, Idizk is the typical scared to death executive in his industry who fails to dare to be great. 

24 teams passed on Marino. !2 on Jim Kelly and Esiason, 31 on Brett Favre, Joe Montana, and Tom Brady. All of them on Kurt Warner. The upside on a QB is way more than on a safety. Granted the chance to fail is there, as with Pick 6. But again a "hard hitting safety"  may not be all that useful in Goodell's NFL. If Manziel is all  that, Idzik and  the other  30 GMs who didn't take him are going to look very shortsighted. Best I can tell they shieed away because he is a loudmouth, likes women and parties like a...22 year old American male with some extra cash in his wallet. KInda missed to where he robs banks. Being a straight male who likes to have a few pops is now grounds for condemnation. 

As to Smith-other than having Tayvon Austin at WV, he was mostly okay. Had occasion to watch the Pinstripe Bowl vs. Syracuse; nothing great. And Manziel lit up a whole bunch of SEC defenses in ways Smith could only dream about. 

In short, Idizk is the typical scared to death executive in his industry who fails to dare to be great. 

You like Manziel.  Some of us don't.  I'm certainly not scared and I didn't want any part of him.  He had a nice 1st preseason game for the Browns?  He was eh.  That little sh*t not wetting himself the first game is nice, but he didn't even gain any ground on Hoyer.  Are you going to post that Idzik is a scaredy cat every time he throws a TD?  

Archived