How many of Idzik's 12 2014 draft picks will live up to their expectations?

stoicsentry

Yet you said it yourself. Just an "OK safety". With the 18th pick. Yeah, that's what we needed.

Even if Amaro and McDougle work out that's still a bad draft.

If Pryor becomes a plus safety, and Amaro and McDougle become long-term starters, that's not a bad draft. Who did you want that was available when we picked?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Pryor becomes a plus safety, and Amaro and McDougle become long-term starters, that's not a bad draft. Who did you want that was available when we picked?

Did we have the firepower to  get up to pick 11? Beckham, Martin etc...obvious hindsight...but that was the year to be aggressive. Mangini didnt have a problem with those types of moves.

Did we have the firepower to get up to pick 11? Beckham, Martin etc...obvious hindsight...but that was the year to be aggressive. Mangini didnt have a problem with those types of moves.

IIRC, moving up to 11 would cost a 2. I'm not sure they'd want to throw away a 2 when there were so many holes. Like most, I was annoyed when they took a safety in the first, but I understood passing on Benjamin because of the red flags (remind me never to read Matt Miller again).

McDougle was injured a lot in college, and it looks like he will continue the trend here.

I am not impressed with Amaro at all. He has dropped more than he has caught and doesn't block very well.

The 18th pick in the draft has to be more than an 'ok' player. Right now Pryor looks more like Kyle Wilson than a solid starter. And in today's NFL, guys who hit hard have two things happen to them: they get penalized and they get concussed.

What's long-term? 3 years? 5 years? If they are not very good for 5 years, but continue to play because they have no one better, is that good?

IIRC, moving up to 11 would cost a 2. I'm not sure they'd want to throw away a 2 when there were so many holes. Like most, I was annoyed when they took a safety in the first, but I understood passing on Benjamin because of the red flags (remind me never to read Matt Miller again).

I know you like Amaro but I just dont see it.

Did we have the firepower to get up to pick 11? Beckham, Martin etc...obvious hindsight...but that was the year to be aggressive. Mangini didnt have a problem with those types of moves.

We wanted Beckham and Fuller and knew where we had to get to in order to land them but weren't able to get a deal done to trade up. Guys everybody likes are hard to get. Who knew?

4 safeties drafted in 1st rd and Pryor appears to be worst one of bunch and the rest were drafted after CP

Brandin Cooks, Donte Moncrief, Martavis Bryant. Those are WR's in 3 of the first 4 rounds off the top of my head who a) were available when the Jets picked b ) I wanted them to pick at that selection and c) look promising right now.

Moncrief less than the other two because he hasn't gotten on the field as much and all three play for better offenses. But in a draft that WR rich for a team desperately in need of improving their passing game, Idzik missed big time at that position.

McDougle was injured a lot in college, and it looks like he will continue the trend here.

I am not impressed with Amaro at all. He has dropped more than he has caught and doesn't block very well.

The 18th pick in the draft has to be more than an 'ok' player. Right now Pryor looks more like Kyle Wilson than a solid starter. And in today's NFL, guys who hit hard have two things happen to them: they get penalized and they get concussed.

What's long-term? 3 years? 5 years? If they are not very good for 5 years, but continue to play because they have no one better, is that good?

I didn't like the Pryor pick, but I think it's pretty safe. He'll be an alright player.

We wanted Beckham and Fuller and knew where we had to get to in order to land them but weren't able to get a deal done to trade up. Guys everybody likes are hard to get. Who knew?

As long as we at least attempted to move up- that would be somewhat settling.

Brandin Cooks, Donte Moncrief, Martavis Bryant. Those are WR's in 3 of the first 4 rounds off the top of my head who a) were available when the Jets picked b ) I wanted them to pick at that selection and c) look promising right now.

Moncrief less than the other two because he hasn't gotten on the field as much and all three play for better offenses. But in a draft that WR rich for a team desperately in need of improving their passing game, Idzik missed big time at that position.

No doubt (though Bryant profile as Stephen Hill Jr.)

I know you're a good draft guy: was there any buzz about Saunders pre-draft or was that just a wild swing and miss?

If Pryor becomes a plus safety

But he won't, because you already declared him "just ok", and that's all he's displayed thus far.  At a luxury position, no less.  Why should this be a surprise anyways?  Rex wanted the hard-hitting safety and Idzik listened to him.  Bad decision by both.

No doubt (though Bryant profile as Stephen Hill Jr.)

I know you're a good draft guy: was there any buzz about Saunders pre-draft or was that just a wild swing and miss?

I know Bryant profiled that way, but there's a difference between taking Stephen Hill in the 2nd and Stephen Hill in the 4th. Both raw, unpolished athletes, although I do think Bryant was more developed coming out of college (and less freaky of an athlete) and it shows. Not all size/speed freaks bust, if you can get one in the right spot in the draft it's worth the gamble. With all those 4th round picks, Bryant would have been a way better selection than .

Saunders had very little buzz pre-draft. I got the purpose of drafting him because a) he was explosive B) the Jets have needed a punt returner forever c) he's a tough little SOB and d) Kerley was potentially going to be a FA in a year at the time so if they were able to develop another slot WR in advance of him hitting the market that would have helped. What bugged me was drafting him that high and then giving up on him immediately despite the fact that the team sucks. Yank him, don't have him on punt returners, keep him inactive, but show a little conviction and confidence in your process. Maybe there was off the field stuff we don't know about - but then do enough research that you're aware the guy's a risk from that standpoint.

The pick that actually bothered me over Bryant was the Shaq Evans one. Evans is basically mediocre in every sense. Okay bulk, okay speed, okay athleticism, okay height. The big issue is that he's got inconsistent hands. If he had unreal hands I'd get it, but to me having a guy with no stand out physical attributes who also struggles catching the ball is pointless. How are things going to come together so that he's a capable NFL wideout? Jury's still out since he's been injured, but as far as I know it wasn't promising before he got hurt.

There's actually been an interesting amount of research done on draft stuff (I'm a numbers guy, math background etc). For WR's, the later you go there are some big things that show how much success you have as a pro. One is percentage of college team's passing production, another is your weight (Enunwa actually crushes from this standpoint, was a really nice gamble in the 6th). Saunders obviously was a risk from that standpoint since he's a toothpick - shorter guys tend to only have success in the league if they're also strong (helps get off press, make contested catches, play in red zone, avoid injuries).

The McDougle pick was also an absolutely massive reach. Even if they liked him, the guy's injury history was extensive. Not worth a gamble that substantial in the third.

I know Bryant profiled that way, but there's a difference between taking Stephen Hill in the 2nd and Stephen Hill in the 4th. Both raw, unpolished athletes, although I do think Bryant was more developed coming out of college (and less freaky of an athlete) and it shows. Not all size/speed freaks bust, if you can get one in the right spot in the draft it's worth the gamble. With all those 4th round picks, Bryant would have been a way better selection than .

Saunders had very little buzz pre-draft. I got the purpose of drafting him because a) he was explosive B) the Jets have needed a punt returner forever c) he's a tough little SOB and d) Kerley was potentially going to be a FA in a year at the time so if they were able to develop another slot WR in advance of him hitting the market that would have helped. What bugged me was drafting him that high and then giving up on him immediately despite the fact that the team sucks. Yank him, don't have him on punt returners, keep him inactive, but show a little conviction and confidence in your process. Maybe there was off the field stuff we don't know about - but then do enough research that you're aware the guy's a risk from that standpoint.

The pick that actually bothered me over Bryant was the Shaq Evans one. Evans is basically mediocre in every sense. Okay bulk, okay speed, okay athleticism, okay height. The big issue is that he's got inconsistent hands. If he had unreal hands I'd get it, but to me having a guy with no stand out physical attributes who also struggles catching the ball is pointless. How are things going to come together so that he's a capable NFL wideout? Jury's still out since he's been injured, but as far as I know it wasn't promising before he got hurt.

There's actually been an interesting amount of research done on draft stuff (I'm a numbers guy, math background etc). For WR's, the later you go there are some big things that show how much success you have as a pro. One is percentage of college team's passing production, another is your weight (Enunwa actually crushes from this standpoint, was a really nice gamble in the 6th). Saunders obviously was a risk from that standpoint since he's a toothpick - shorter guys tend to only have success in the league if they're also strong (helps get off press, make contested catches, play in red zone, avoid injuries).

The McDougle pick was also an absolutely massive reach. Even if they liked him, the guy's injury history was extensive. Not worth a gamble that substantial in the third.

Reading up on Saunders a bit...it sounds like he made up some fugazi sickness to get booted from Fresno into Oklahoma. He didnt have to sit out a season when he switched schools. Add on the mystery seizure....there was just something off with that kid from the gun. Not to mention him not being any good.

uh hello.....Jimmy G.....and I dont know maybe 1 of the 30 available WR....take off the blinders man....your luv for Idziot is embarrassing!

As long as we at least attempted to move up- that would be somewhat settling.

Idzik is like a dyslexic taking the SAT--with extra time he can do ok (best, judged at time, qb, WR FA available in offseason), but when he is on the clock like everyone else he is paralyzed by deliberation

I don't care how many rookies end up on the roster as long as the 53 BEST PLAYERS do. Look at the mistakes the Jets have made in just the recent past (under Rex) trying to force the uniform on a draft pick just because he WAS drafted. Someone please tell me which Burger King Joe McKnight is working at, maybe Danny Woodhead can throw him a tip as he goes through the drive-thru. How about The Terminator? Anyone seen him lately?

Give me the best player even if he's walk-on no-dick-nobody, if he can play put him out there-let our draft grade be D- as long as we win

I wondered what I'd said, the sad part is our draft DID grade out to a D- with one exception we aren't even winning-worst of both worlds

I didn't like the Pryor pick, but I think it's pretty safe. He'll be an alright player.

Are you trying to turn this team into a Browns fiasco?

Keep Iddy, hire a new coach then after 2 more awful yrs, fire Iddy, new GM hires his own coach, if so you may be a grandpa before this team is ever competitive!

Iddy had a chance to fire rexey after yr 1, he didn't and then proceeded to have a draft from hell, JoneJet could have done better with 12 picks

4 safeties drafted in 1st rd and Pryor appears to be worst one of bunch and the rest were drafted after CP

But ... is he bad because he was bad to start with, or has he not been well coached / well developed?

I'd suspect the latter more than the former.

Amaro will be a good player once all is said and done. Pryor I'm just not sure, have to wait until at least the end of the season to make a determination. I was real high on McDougle when we drafted him. It's unfortunate that he's injury prone at this point but if he can somehow stay healthy, I believe he might be the best of all believe it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But ... is he bad because he was bad to start with, or has he not been well coached / well developed?

I'd suspect the latter more than the former.

From what I have seen, He is not very good in coverage. Looks to be confused all the time. The other 3 safeties taken in 1st rd are doing real well.

From what I have seen, He is not very good in coverage. Looks to be confused all the time. The other 3 safeties taken in 1st rd are doing real well.

But he was mostly expected to be an in-the-box type safety anyway, who's not being used that way due to injuries elsewhere.

It'd be like taking a blocking TE and expecting him to be a great pass catcher just because you need him to be.

I think Pryor will play better once he's back doing what he knows best.

But he was mostly expected to be an in-the-box type safety anyway, who's not being used that way due to injuries elsewhere.

It'd be like taking a blocking TE and expecting him to be a great pass catcher just because you need him to be.

I think Pryor will play better once he's back doing what he knows best.

I may be wrong but he was drafted as a free safety, at least that is how he was classified on draft day.

if Idzik survives (which I doubt) no way he just blindly pulls the trigger pick after pick again.

I think theres to many ugly beat downs to come yet, for even Woody to not burn it all.

Jeez really hope you are right about Woody taking it all down. Can't stomach another Idzik draft. 

Are you trying to turn this team into a Browns fiasco?

Keep Iddy, hire a new coach then after 2 more awful yrs, fire Iddy, new GM hires his own coach, if so you may be a grandpa before this team is ever competitive!

Iddy had a chance to fire rexey after yr 1, he didn't and then proceeded to have a draft from hell, JoneJet could have done better with 12 picks

JonE would have drafted 12 sh*tty Clemson players

Archived