Jets at Bengals - Preseason Week # 2 -- Game Thread

Maxman

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno. I know I've really beaten this drum to death in this thread, but I feel like a third of Geno's picks last year had Nelson breaking off a route at the other end.

yeah I remember at least 1, so who knows maybe nelson needs to go. I'd give salas a shot over him at this point

Are we sure Boyd played football in college?

Basically we don't have a scouting  staff to speak of spare the GM and HC's kids.  They may as well log onto to Mel Kiper's homepage  the morning of the draft. Bradway is playing COD  in his office the rare days he is even in.

Kind of embarrassing that I am this predictable, because this is 100% true. I opened a bottle of Jameson at kickoff, and you're all reaping the rewards.

Though in fairness to me, I'm drunk for almost every game. But I'm usually at a bar, so I don't hit the game thread until later that night.

Everyone knows that this is just practice right?

Yes and everyone also knows you should be able to perform in practice as well as the game. The Big Difference at this stage ?? Preperation and coaching. What this should tell you is we have a team that is very poorly managed. 

OH BOY ILLTELYA -not.

Brian Costello is not fooled. We break chops of beat writers doing their jobs badly. At least one guy is not buying WE WON, YEAH JETS! nonsense.

http://nypost.com/2014/08/16/jets-starters-stink-it-up-in-meaningless-win-over-bengals/

CINCINNATI — The Jets picked up right where they left off the last time they visited Paul Brown Stadium. Fortunately for them, this one didn’t count.

Don’t be fooled by the final score — a 25-17 Jets win.

The Jets starters looked shaky when they were in their against the Bengals’ first-team in Saturday’s preseason game. The offense did not score a touchdown until Cincinnati’s backups were in the game,and Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton picked apart the Jets’ secondary. The final score was not as the 49-9 beatdown the Bengals put on the Jets last October, but it might have been if Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis hadn’t pulled his starters early in the second quarter. The first quarter felt like the fifth quarter of last year’s game. The Bengals led 17-3 when the starters exited the game.

Dalton had fun against the Jets secondary again. He was a perfect 8-of-8 for 144 yards and one touchdown. He had a perfect 158.3 quarterback rating.

The Jets offense opened the game with a three-and-out, handing the ball to Dalton. He found wide receiver Mohamed Sanu for a 43-yard touchdown over Jets cornerback Kyle Wilson for a 7-0 lead.

With Dee Milliner, Dimitri Patterson and Dexter McDougle all injured, the Jets started Antonio Allen at cornerback, just five days after moving him from safety. Dalton only threw Allen’s way once. He completed a 35-yard pass to A.J. Green down the sideline over Allen. That throw set up a 1-yard Giovani Bernard touchdown that put the Bengals up 14-3.

Geno Smith showed improved decision-making, finding his check-down receiver and making some smart scrambles. His only big mistake was an interception by Terence Newman late in the first quarter. It looked like Smith and wide receiver David Nelson had a miscommunication. Nelson had not turned around when Smith fired the ball into Newman’s waiting arms. Smith finished the night 10-of-13 for 98 yards with the interception. He rushed for 20 yards on four carries and a touchdown.

The Bengals tacked on a field goal after the turnover to take a 17-3 lead and then Lewis pulled his starters.

One disturbing trend in the game for the Jets was a ton of penalties. They had 12 penalties total, seven of them went for 15 yards. The right side of the offensive line were the biggest culprits. Right guard Willie Colon and right tackle Breno Giacomini each had two penalties. Both of them were flagged for a personal foul after Smith’s interception for getting into a fight with the Bengals.

Things improved dramatically in the second quarter for the Jets against the Bengals’ backups. The defense shut down Bengals backup quarterback Matt Scott.

Demario Davis drilled Scott on a sack that forced a fumble. Rookie safety Calvin Pryor recovered the fumble on just his third play of the game. Pryor, the team’s first-round pick from May, made his Jets debut and showed why the team drafted him. He had a huge hit on Bengals receiver Cobi Hamilton that dislodged the ball, creating an incompletion. He blitzed on several plays and coach Rex Ryan moved him around, playing him in the box and at deep safety.

Another positive for the Jets was their running game. They rushed for 124 yards in the first half when the starters were playing. Chris Johnson rushed for 63 yards on 10 carries and showed a burst around the outside. Bilal Powell showed his play-making ability with a 32-yard run. He finished with 41 rushing yards on four carries.

Powell scored the Jets first touchdown on a 2-yard run on a drive set up by the fumble recovery by Pryor. The Jets cut the score to 17-16 on a 9-play drive that was capped by Smith running for a 1-yard touchdown on a zone-read option play. Jets coach Rex Ryan opted to go for the 2-point conversion, but Smith’s pass to Zach Sudfeld fell incomplete.

Michael Vick did not see any time with the starters. He played with the second team in the second half. Vick connected with Clyde Gates for a 17-yard touchdown early in the fourth quarter to give the Jets a 23-17 lead.

Our secondary looks like absolute trash. Completely lost out there. Pryor... maybe the hype is real.

Hill is the Wilson of the offense. He fell down like he got shot on that one slapstick shot.

I love me some Willie Colon.

Sheldon, love the guy.. but that was one sorry attempt at an open field tackle. Completely flat footed, reaching nonsense.

Why do we have this "open competition" nonsense, but don't let Vick really have a shot at it? Geno is poop. And thats coming from someone who wanted to draft him.

Enemkpali.. nice find!

Powell, the real deal!?!

I guess the Antonio Allen project is over? 

WE NEED A CORNER.

Pretty bad. He ran that boot right and had the RB wide open 3 yards away and missed him high. I don't say this lightly, because I am roughly as athletic as an autistic sloth, but I could have made that throw.

I almost died from laughing at that play. It was amazing. Kerley running the wildcat would have dumped that ball off for 20.. eeeeasy.

Archived