"We're not here to take anybody's stuff, period.

T0mShane

Rex Ryan defiant about Jets' many penalties: 'We're not here to take anybody's stuff, period'

By Dom Cosentino

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/08/rex_ryan_defiant_about_jets_many_penalties.html

CINCINNATI -- The final tally looks pretty grim: The Jets were flagged 12 times for 133 yards in their 25-17 preseason victory over the Bengals on Saturday night at Paul Brown Stadium. That total includes a whopping six—three for personal fouls, three for unnecessary roughness—that went for 15 yards, plus a seventh that wound up being declined.

Yeesh.

Sure, the Jets want to get that corrected. And, yes, they're aware they can't succeed during the regular season by giving up so many yards via mistakes they can control.

But several Jets—with the blessing of head coach Rex Ryan—also suggested there was a method to the team's frequent madness on Saturday night—that the Bengals had engaged in behaviors that, at times, warranted physical responses.

"I think the main thing is," Ryan said, "our guys were protecting each other."

An example: In the first quarter, quarterback Geno Smith threw a pass that was picked off by safety Terence Newman, who caught the ball near the ground. Jets receiver David Nelson touched Newman while he was down to end the play, but right tackle Breno Giacomini said he never heard a whistle.

"And I couldn't tell if [Nelson] tagged him," Giacomini said.

Giacomini came over and grabbed Newman, which caused Bengals defensive end Margus Hunt to shove Giacomini, which then caused Jets right guard Willie Colon to angrily jump in to go after Hunt.

Said Colon: "I reacted how I felt like I needed to react."

You know where this is going: Both Giacomini and Colon were flagged for personal fouls. Colon's was declined.

"It was getting a little feisty," Giacomini said. "That's the type of physicality we want to come with."

Giacomini also got flagged for a cut block, which he owned up to by saying he didn't get in front of his man. Cut blocks are a point of emphasis for NFL officials this season.

Left guard Brian Winters got hit with three penalties: Two for unnecessary roughness, and one for a hold. Colon, one of the league's most penalized players last season, also got hit with a holding penalty.

But it wasn't just the offensive line: Wideout Stephen Hill and linebacker Demario Davis were flagged for unnecessary roughness. Tight end Zach Sudfeld was flagged for holding. Same with linebacker IK Enemkpali, who got pinched for holding on special teams.

"Again, we’re not here to take anything from anybody," Ryan said. "If a teammate is at risk, then we’re not going to take that. We want to be a clean, physical football team, and that’s what we plan on being."

Asked if anything had participated all the chippiness, Ryan doubled down.

"We're not here to take anybody's stuff, period," he said.

Davis was called for giving Bengals backup quarterback Matt Scott a light shove after he had run him down out of bounds. He declined to answer a direct question about it.

"The league is changing where you can’t have as much contact on the field as you would like to have," Davis said of the Jets' penalty-filled night in general. "You really can’t play football the way you want to play football. So you have to be able to adjust to that."

Winters suggested the Bengals were doing a lot to set the Jets off. He didn't get too specific except to say there was activity both before and after the whistle.

"Some things got a little out of hand," Winters said. "But we're looking out for one another. We want to be physical, but sometimes not in that way."

Giacomini and Winters both acknowledged the Jets need to clean it up. So did quarterback Geno Smith.

"We can't have those penalties throughout the course of a regular-season game," Smith said. "We understand that all of our guys are tough, but there is a way to exhibit it out on the field."

Every Winters penalty was a train wreck.  98% of all the penalties tonight were a train wreck. Two jump out at me as not bad...

1) Colon was beat bad and he held to avoid having Geno get crushed. Getting beat is never good, but holding at that point beats the alternative.

2)  Colon has a personal foul I believe where he was sending a message. That is something that he can get away with (once) in preseason.

Everything else was terrible. The OLine had way too many penalties. Wait until the secondary gets better. Once those guys get closer to the receivers they will start with the pass interference and defensive holding calls.

I was surprised to see Rex act this defensive. I know that he has done similarly before, and some may even consider the "sideways" rant to have gone further, but I thought this was among the worst I've ever seen from him.

He always has his players' back but usually he can at least admit the penalties are a problem, we need to work on so and so... not this time. I don't like it, he's acting insecure.

It was not a fairly ref'd game.  It looked as if they were looking for excuses to throw flags rather than let these guys play football.  If the regular season continues in this same manner, I'm not going to watch football in real time, I'm going to wait for the condensed version on Game-Rewind. 

Oh yeah, and I might write a letter to the commish, maybe. 

Every Winters penalty was a train wreck.  98% of all the penalties tonight were a train wreck. Two jump out at me as not bad...

1) Colon was beat bad and he held to avoid having Geno get crushed. Getting beat is never good, but holding at that point beats the alternative.

2)  Colon has a personal foul I believe where he was sending a message. That is something that he can get away with (once) in preseason.

Everything else was terrible. The OLine had way too many penalties. Wait until the secondary gets better. Once those guys get closer to the receivers they will start with the pass interference and defensive holding calls.

I think the demario davis penalty was bullsh*t

the worst part is today during film review rex is probably actually bragging about how tough colon is, and not telling him he is sitting vs the giants next week as punishment for him losing his cool

and winters and jerkamini

this is tackle football.  if you have a problem with a dude, you get to legally hit him as hard as you can.

this after the whistle crap is high school bullsh*t

Willie Colon is a turd of a player. If he was worth anything he'd still be in Pittsburgh. He's nothing but false starts and dumb brains penalties in the games. If he's the type of veteran leadership we're relying on, then our expectation should be sh*t for brains fake tough guy flare ups that are counter efforts towards winning.

Our bad players getting 15 yard penalties is not a good look. Winters is one of the worst lineman we've ever had....he's JP Machado level terrible.

what about cadigan and criswell ?

colon and winters, historically bad

yay

As long as this doesnt carry over to the regular season it doesnt bother me at all.  They're chippy.  So what?  As long as they can contain it and not let it hurt them, its a good thing.  They're not very talented so being a bunch of tough take not sh*t assholes is fun.

penalty twins

I think colon and breno will be penalty twins. Breno has a reputation for getting personal fouls and anytime you get Colon riled up he's happy to take a personal foul. So those two together will enjoy getting personal fouls to you know send a message

refs were flag happy, but they've been that way all preseason with everyone. that will probably slow down. what got me (in the half I saw) was that at least twice they had to adjust the call after making it (to the detriment of the Jets). get it together.

refs were flag happy, but they've been that way all preseason with everyone. that will probably slow down. what got me (in the half I saw) was that at least twice they had to adjust the call after making it (to the detriment of the Jets). get it together.

YOU GET IT TOGETHER

Archived