What I find interesting...

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

Is the free pass Coples gets from JetNation.  I've heard all the excuses.  Injury.  Change of position.  Etc.

Bottom line - he was drafted 16th overall and has not contributed nearly enough since joining the team.

Yet another player that was drafted lower than Coples (29th overall) and has been equally as disappointing (Kyle Wilson) constantly gets crushed on these boards.

Why is that?  

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen a fanbase OR A TEAM so caught up in draft picks, who they are, where they were drafted, who drafted them, how are they doing compared to the guys drafted in front and behind them. Why is it that we never hear the jerk off Pats fans obsess over their draft picks? Why? because all that organization cares about is winning (and cheating to win if they can get away with it) They don't care if any of their yearly dozen or more rookies make the team or not-all they want are the best players available playing for their team. The Jets care TOO much about their draftees to the point of always keeping them around a year or two too long

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3430&type=team

He's lost his job to a guy who's been cut twice and traded once in the last 3 seasons. Says you need to know about him.  Bust. Good thing the wonderful Jets scouting department took him and fellow bust Stephen Hill before Alshon Jeffrey. 

who?

I've never seen a fanbase OR A TEAM so caught up in draft picks, who they are, where they were drafted, who drafted them, how are they doing compared to the guys drafted in front and behind them. Why is it that we never hear the jerk off Pats fans obsess over their draft picks? Why? because all that organization cares about is winning (and cheating to win if they can get away with it) They don't care if any of their yearly dozen or more rookies make the team or not-all they want are the best players available playing for their team. The Jets care TOO much about their draftees to the point of always keeping them around a year or two too long

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3430&type=team

Does it occur to you that those two things are related? The sh*tty draft picks and the not winning?

Is the free pass Coples gets from JetNation.  I've heard all the excuses.  Injury.  Change of position.  Etc.

Bottom line - he was drafted 16th overall and has not contributed nearly enough since joining the team.

Yet another player that was drafted lower than Coples (29th overall) and has been equally as disappointing (Kyle Wilson) constantly gets crushed on these boards.

Why is that?  

Maybe it's because Wilson's crappy play is way more visible than Coples. Closer to the line gets hidden more. But between the two, Wilson sucks WAY worse.

You realize that everyone thinks he's a bust other than blind homers like yourself who think the Jets are a 12 win team this season, right?

So many people are claiming 12 wins.  SO MANY!

Technically, Coples is losing his job to Barnes and McIntyre.

Technically, Coples hasnt lost his job to anyone.

You realize that everyone thinks he's a bust other than blind homers like yourself who think the Jets are a 12 win team this season, right?

You realize everyone knows I'm one of the last people who should be called a "blind homer", right? 

Add that to the tally.

That's pretty much the implication with the way some of the people around here will justify anything this incompetent franchise does. 

You are literally the only person I've seen mention 12 wins in any context that is meant to be serious. So... to the tally?

Ummm... only idiots think he's a bust. 

He's a third year guy who missed some time due to injury and learned a new position his second year yet still has managed 10 sacks in two years and has even flashed huge at times. In the Jags game in 2012 guy was absolutely dominant.

******* Vernon Gholston got more of a pass than this kid. 

Coples is pretty far from being a bust. 

This.

Should a 1st rounder being playing more than just a situational role? Yes. 

However, I don't blame Coples for the Jets drafting him. If the Jets wanted a pass rushing OLB, they should have drafted one. Instead they drafted Coples, farted around with where they were going to use him, then asked him to re-invent himself.

All-in-all, the fact that he's managed to contribute in spite of the Jets handling of him shows me he's absolutely NOT a bust. Busts sh*t the bed. In this case, it's more about the Jets wetting themselves on draft day... and in this case, it's thanks to Rex.

Ummm... only idiots think he's a bust. 

He's a third year guy who missed some time due to injury and learned a new position his second year yet still has managed 10 sacks in two years and has even flashed huge at times. In the Jags game in 2012 guy was absolutely dominant.

******* Vernon Gholston got more of a pass than this kid. 

You just basically made excuses a guy with 10 sacks in two years (which is terrible for a starting OLB) and justified that by pointing out one game vs a terrible team. 

All-in-all, the fact that he's managed to contribute in spite of the Jets handling of him shows me he's absolutely NOT a bust. Busts sh*t the bed. In this case, it's more about the Jets wetting themselves on draft day... and in this case, it's thanks to Rex.

Do you do anything but whine? It's getting old.

You just basically made excuses a guy with 10 sacks in two years (which is terrible for a starting OLB) and justified that by pointing out one game vs a terrible team. 

They aren't excuses when they are in fact the circumstances that inhibit the player doing more.

They drafted a guy who (I think) played his best football at DT, and then asked him to play OLB in a defense that is primarily 3-4, which means this former DT now has to be able to cover, which he can't do, which means all he can do in the way the Jets use him is situational pass rushing.

If Coples came in as a DT, and was used as a DT, and was horrible. Then you have a point, he's a bust. Sort of like Hill, he came in as a WR, and his horrilble at it. He's a ******* bust.

He was a defensive tackle his first year, and learned he'd be playing LB about a half hour before last season started. This is the first full off season he's gotten at the position the team plans to play him. 

He was a defensive tackle his first year, and learned he'd be playing LB about a half hour before last season started. This is the first full off season he's gotten at the position the team plans to play him. 

Facts like this don't seem to matter here. 

Archived