What I find interesting...

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the free pass Coples gets from JetNation.  I've heard all the excuses.  Injury.  Change of position.  Etc.

Bottom line - he was drafted 16th overall and has not contributed nearly enough since joining the team.

Yet another player that was drafted lower than Coples (29th overall) and has been equally as disappointing (Kyle Wilson) constantly gets crushed on these boards.

Why is that?  

We just hate players from Boise State.

Stop with the excuses. Remember when the Jets drafted Abraham (and even Shaun Ellis?) you knew RIGHT AWAY that those guys were going to be good players because they looked the part. Coples doesn't and never has. 

You're right.  Lets cut him.

Give Idzik a call and tell him to get rid of him because he hasnt lived up to your expectations.

Stop with the excuses. Remember when the Jets drafted Abraham (and even Shaun Ellis?) you knew RIGHT AWAY that those guys were going to be good players because they looked the part. Coples doesn't and never has. 

If you would have said "Rexcuses" it would have been more effective. 

"Look the part." BWAHAHAHA... 

Why didn't you post his QB hurries at DT and OLB along with his sack totals? How about tackles for loss? Passes deflected? I mean, if we're going to evaluate him based on stats, we can't just look at sack totals.

Why didn't you post his QB hurries at DT and OLB along with his sack totals? How about tackles for loss? Passes deflected? I mean, if we're going to evaluate him based on stats, we can't just look at sack totals.

Sure. None of his stats are any good. 

This.

Should a 1st rounder being playing more than just a situational role? Yes.

However, I don't blame Coples for the Jets drafting him. If the Jets wanted a pass rushing OLB, they should have drafted one. Instead they drafted Coples, farted around with where they were going to use him, then asked him to re-invent himself.

All-in-all, the fact that he's managed to contribute in spite of the Jets handling of him shows me he's absolutely NOT a bust. Busts sh*t the bed. In this case, it's more about the Jets wetting themselves on draft day... and in this case, it's thanks to Rex.

I dont think he was drafted to be solely an OLB. I think the emergence of Sheldon Richardson forced that move. Rex worked him out for both DE and OLB but his rookie season, he saw the bulk of his snaps lining up over the Guards...and he came on very strong toward the end of the season.

Last year was the transition to OLB which was stunted by an injury...but again, toward the end of the season, his snaps increased and he was basically on the field for all 3 downs. And once again, he finished strong.

I still think he has a breakout season.

You just basically made excuses a guy with 10 sacks in two years (which is terrible for a starting OLB) and justified that by pointing out one game vs a terrible team.

FTR honey, the only player that was selected to do the same thing in the first round of that draft who's actually playing better is Chanlder Jones and he's been a day 1 starter from go street...unlike Coples who's played considerably less.

Coples in less snaps has more or equal sacks to Bruce Irvin, everyones favorite bust Melvin Ingram, Shea McCellin, Nick Perry and Whitney Mercilus.

But yeah, he's a bust because you said so.

Except he's not a starting OLB. He's been used primarily as a situational pass rusher.

Toward the end of last season, he was playing all downs and they were lining him up at DE and OLB, depending on the situation.

We're not talking stats anymore. we're talking looks. 

He was a defensive tackle his first year, and learned he'd be playing LB about a half hour before last season started. This is the first full off season he's gotten at the position the team plans to play him.

It's ill-conceived and doesn't seem to be bearing fruit.

Would that make him more like Stephan Ridley or Donta Hightower?

You mean two players that are consistently productive? Or maybe you should compare him to Chandler Jones, since the Jets were looking for a pass rusher and decided pass on him. Look misses happen in the draft for all teams, pretending Coples turned out the way the Jets hoped is really just sad.

He's played 20 games in 2 years. He has 11 QB hurries in those 20 games and 17 tackles for loss which includes his 10 sacks. Those numbers are TERRIBLE. 

Those numbers are terrible without context.

Now, when you consider he was playing on the DL for a year and his job was to take on blockers so the LBers behind him could make play, and then he was converted into one of those LBers but only put on the field part-time because the decision was made too late for him to spend a full off-season on the position change... it changes things quite a bit.

All in all. You are wrong. It's what you seem to do best.

I'll add it to the tally.

Now, when you consider he was playing on the DL for a year and his job was to take on blockers so the LBers behind him could make play, and then he was converted into one of those LBers but only put on the field part-time because the decision was made too late for him to spend a full off-season on the position change... it changes things quite a bit.

By "Context" you mean the excuses you're going to make for his bad play. What you do best is make excuses for losing and for bad players who cause the team to lose. 

You mean two players that are consistently productive? Or maybe you should compare him to Chandler Jones, since the Jets were looking for a pass rusher and decided pass on him. Look misses happen in the draft for all teams, pretending Coples turned out the way the Jets hoped is really just sad.

Wha? LOL, fans were calling Hightower a bust last year and the only talk about him now is that he can "bounce back" and Ridley got benched for Legarett Blount. Chandler Jones is pretty much the only 1st rounder the Pats have done okay with since Mayo. You should have stayed out of it. The Pats are terrible in the draft, that is why they spent like they did in FA. If they could draft, they'd have won more rings during Brady's tenure. Now they are just desperate.

As for Coples... Nobody is saying he "turned out the way they hoped", they are saying that the Jets didn't even have a plan for him until now, so given how he's been mis-handled he's been about as productive as you could ask for. This will be the season in which to truly judge him. 

By "Context" you mean the excuses you're going to make for his bad play. What you do best is make excuses for losing and for bad players who cause the team to lose. 

One normally one of the most critical people here, I'm just critical about realistic sh*t.

What you do best is be wrong about everything. I'll add that to the tally too. 

One normally one of the most critical people here, I'm just critical about realistic sh*t.

What you do best is be wrong about everything. I'll add that to the tally too. 

You are much better at convincing yourself that you're not a homer than actually not being a homer. Nice try though. 

I truthfully don't care where someone was drafted or whether they were drafted at all.  My only concern is their contribution to the team.

I don't think we should be discussing cutting Coples.  I don't think he's a bust.  And I firmly believe we should continue to let him learn and develop.

I do believe he's playing out of position (should be a DL).  I do believe it is becoming a big issue that he's not contributing more.

Wilson gets picked on and hasn't turned out to be the player we thought.  Neither has Coples.

When you don't have many draft picks (Tanny regime) and they don't hit you suffer for a few years.  That's where we are.

I'm just pointing out the obvious which is that collectively this guy has gotten a pass...and finally Rex is really starting to show that he's losing faith in Coples ability to help the squad.

Interesting...

You are much better at convincing yourself that you're not a homer than actually not being a homer. Nice try though.

That's all you have? You call me a homer because you can't back up anything you say?

Okay. I'll accept that as a concession.

They're not even terrible numbers though.  17 tackles for loss?  Thats a bad thing?  When you take into consideration the limited # of snaps Coples has played, his stats are really not bad at all. 

23 DE's were selected in in the 2012 draft.  Here's a production snap shot of the first 10 (I stopped there because nobody is even close after the 10th). 

15.  Bruce Irvin - 10 sacks, 46 tackles, 2 FF, 1 INT, 1 PD

16.  Quinton Coples - 10 sacks, 46 tackles, 1 FF, 4 PD

18.  Melvin Ingram - 2 sacks, 12 tackles, 2 FF, 6 PD

19.  Shea McLellin - 6.5 sacks, 21 tackles

21.  Chandler Jones - 17 sacks, 66 tackles, 4 FF, 5 PD

26.  Whitney Mercilus - 13 sacks, 48 tackles, 2 FF, 1 PD

28.  Nick Perry - 6 sacks, 36 tackles, 3 FF, 2 PD

38.  Andre Branch - 7 sacks, 36 tackles, 1 FF, 4 PD

56.  Vinny Curry - 4 sacks, 26 tackles, 3 PD,

74.  Olivier Vernon - 15 sacks, 64 tackles, 1 FF

So 3 total players have more sacks and tackles (Mercilus 2 more tackles).  Each of those players have started more games and played more snaps.  Jones obviously has significantly more sacks but 5 and 3 arent that out of reach when you factor in situations/assignments/systems/snaps, etc.  A good year and Coples could pass both.  None of them were asked to switch positions in their 2nd year and many are playing their natural position. 

I didnt want to do LB'ers because the MLB's rack up tackle numbers but dont worry...no LB'er selected in 2012 have double digit sacks. 

So I guess everyone is a bust from the draft other than Chandler Jones and Olivier Vernon.

That's all you have? You call me a homer because you can't back up anything you say?

Okay. I'll accept that as a concession.

You know what, **** it.  I'm with you.  I'm taking the "I'm too awesome to deal with you whiny bitches" route from here on.

it's probably due to the fact that he does help the run game, and makes the occasional splash play like a sack

I have noticed these past 2 PS games that I see him standing around the pile pretty often, happy someone else made the tackle.

I'll give him 8 games to see how he does in this role with his weight down

I've never seen a fanbase OR A TEAM so caught up in draft picks, who they are, where they were drafted, who drafted them, how are they doing compared to the guys drafted in front and behind them. Why is it that we never hear the jerk off Pats fans obsess over their draft picks? Why? because all that organization cares about is winning (and cheating to win if they can get away with it) They don't care if any of their yearly dozen or more rookies make the team or not-all they want are the best players available playing for their team. The Jets care TOO much about their draftees to the point of always keeping them around a year or two too long

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3430&type=team

When the team draft position has more interest than the team playoff seeding the fans usually gravitate this way.  Just saying...

Archived