Manziel flips off Redskin sidelines on MNF

Jetsfan80

Let's compare notes on Geno vs. Manzniel around January 1st or so. Let's see if he comes close to these fantastic numbers-

OAK 16-25 219 1td -1int

CAR 15-28 167 1td-1int

CLE 20-36 214 2tds-0ints

MIA 17-27 190 0tds-0ints

Dude, you said he looked mostly pretty good.  He didn't.  He threw like sh*t, took plenty of sacks and least a couple of timeouts because he couldn't relay the play in time.  He looked awful.  He is a rookie, that is to be expected.  Apparently, not for Geno though.  

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's compare notes on Geno vs. Manzniel around January 1st or so. Let's see if he comes close to these fantastic numbers-

OAK 16-25 219 1td -1int

CAR 15-28 167 1td-1int

CLE 20-36 214 2tds-0ints

MIA 17-27 190 0tds-0ints

Why?

You said Manziel looks good after playing like sh*t. Meanwhile Geno plays fine and gets called sh*t.

Has nothing to do with comparing what they do by January. It has everything to do with bias-driven reactions to what they just did this week.

uh what? we saw an average to below average arm, a small guy who scrambles but who doesn't have elite speed, and poor judgment/immaturity. yeah, give that guy the franchise.

All Bugg sees is a guy not named Geno not playing for the Jets.  He could watch 50 cent throw a first pitch and rationalize he has a better arm than Geno.  

OAK 16-25 219 1td -1int

CAR 15-28 167 1td-1int

CLE 20-36 214 2tds-0ints

MIA 17-27 190 0tds-0ints

According to the mentally beat down Jets fans that's a great 4 game run GREAT !!!!

According to the mentally beat down Jets fans that's a great 4 game run GREAT !!!!

While I can certainly understand the feeling that this by no means qualifies as a "great" run, you have to understand how some would see a bit of irony in you throwing this kind of comment out there in reference to the late-season improvement of a rookie while in the midst of an ongoing defense of a 5-year veteran who is a backup for another team.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get not being a fan of Geno's, I guess I just didn't expect it with you, given your undying support of his predecessors.  If only it had been so easy for us to turn you against Penny or Sanchez. :tongue:

While I can certainly understand the feeling that this by no means qualifies as a "great" run, you have to understand how some would see a bit of irony in you throwing this kind of comment out there in reference to the late-season improvement of a rookie while in the midst of an ongoing defense of a 5-year veteran who is a backup for another team.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get not being a fan of Geno's, I guess I just didn't expect it with you, given your undying support of his predecessors.  If only it had been so easy for us to turn you against Penny or Sanchez. :tongue:

BG I never saw Geno as being a good pro QB so that can factor in as well. I hope to god he lights it up at least we finally decided to get some talent for him to work with which will leave no excuses.

They only are when comparing to Sanchez's last 4 game run here (end of 2012).

ARI 10/21, 97 yds, 0 TD, 3 INT

JAX 12/19, 111 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT

TEN 13/28, 131 yds, 1 TD, 4 INT

BUF 17/35, 205 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT

Also 0 rushing TDs and 4 lost fumbles. So that grand total was 1 TD and 12 turnovers. No 12-4 Panthers teams in there either. Actually there wasn't so much as a single 7-9 team in that group.

Not that Smith was a good rookie QB, because he certainly wasn't. But Smith's numbers above don't include his 3 rushing TDs (0 fumbles). So the 4-game total was 7 TDs and 2 turnovers. Compared to the last 4 games from the prior year it IS great.

They only are when comparing to Sanchez's last 4 game run here (end of 2012).

ARI 10/21, 97 yds, 0 TD, 3 INT

JAX 12/19, 111 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT

TEN 13/28, 131 yds, 1 TD, 4 INT

BUF 17/35, 205 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT

Also 0 rushing TDs and 4 lost fumbles. So that grand total was 1 TD and 12 turnovers. No 12-4 Panthers teams in there either. Actually there wasn't so much as a single 7-9 team in that group.

Not that Smith was a good rookie QB, because he certainly wasn't. But Smith's numbers above don't include his 3 rushing TDs (0 fumbles). So the 4-game total was 7 TDs and 2 turnovers. Compared to the last 4 games from the prior year it IS great.

Lets compare the last 4 games of Sanchez first season. Sanchez Improved in year 2 and improved significantly in year 3 before he hurt his arm. year 4 was a total disaster as were the skill positions on this football team.

Lets compare the last 4 games of Sanchez first season. Sanchez Improved in year 2 and improved significantly in year 3 before he hurt his arm. year 4 was a total disaster as were the skill positions on this football team.

Unlike Sanchez's rookie season, he didn't have Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller, the NFL's #1 rushing offense, the NFL's #1 defense, the NFL's top special teams unit, and the NFL's best offensive line. So no, I think let's stick with comparing to the last 4 games of Sanchez's last season since that was what we had the last time he was on the field. Do tell me about the great skill positions Smith had at his disposal in 2013.

Besides, Sanchez sucked in year 2 also. He just got impossibly lucky in opposing defenses flat-out dropping 16 additional interceptions.

Unlike Sanchez's rookie season, he didn't have Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller, the NFL's #1 rushing offense, the NFL's #1 defense, the NFL's top special teams unit, and the NFL's best offensive line. So no, I think let's stick with comparing to the last 4 games of Sanchez's last season since that was what we had the last time he was on the field. Do tell me about the great skill positions Smith had at his disposal in 2013.

Besides, Sanchez sucked in year 2 also. He just got impossibly lucky in opposing defenses flat-out dropping 16 additional interceptions.

geez I thought it was 18

Why?

You said Manziel looks good after playing like sh*t. Meanwhile Geno plays fine and gets called sh*t.

Has nothing to do with comparing what they do by January. It has everything to do with bias-driven reactions to what they just did this week.

What part of throwing an interception and missing a wide open player on a deep ball constitute being fine?

Manziel has been front-page news for a year now and is ESPN's go-to headliner. Everyone is talking about the Cleveland Browns. Woody Johnson must be cutting himself.

You would really hope the sh*t-show that was the 2012 Tebow disaster would be enough for him to have learned better by now, especially considering it's not like the Manziel press has been particularly good press either.  And if he still hasn't learned any better, at least it's too late now.

Manziel has been front-page news for a year now and is ESPN's go-to headliner. Everyone is talking about the Cleveland Browns. Woody Johnson must be cutting himself.

On the one hand you've been saying "If Manziel is a winner this looks bad on the Jets."

Now you're saying "Woody would have loved this troublemaker on the team for ratings."

So which is it?  Because every Woody-led decision on personnel has led to disaster. 

You would really hope the sh*t-show that was the 2012 Tebow disaster would be enough for him to have learned better by now, especially considering it's not like the Manziel press has been particularly good press either.  And if he still hasn't learned any better, at least it's too late now.

On the one hand you've been saying "If Manziel is a winner this looks bad on the Jets."

Now you're saying "Woody would have loved this troublemaker on the team for ratings."

So which is it?  Because every Woody-led decision on personnel has led to disaster. 

I said that it was ballsy by Idzik (and several GMs) to leave Manziel and Bridgewater on the board because I think both have a chance to be good. I personally didnt think the Jets should draft Manziel because this organization doesn't have the best atmosphere for reining in problem children. Bridgewater, with Adrian Peterson and Norv Turner, is in a good spot. I still don't like that Idzik didn't cover his bases on Geno, and has risked another year (minimum) on his development. If he's not the goods, we're screwed. Are you people aware how close we are to having Jason Campbell quarterbacking the 2015 New York Jets?

I said that it was ballsy by Idzik (and several GMs) to leave Manziel and Bridgewater on the board because I think both have a chance to be good. I personally didnt think the Jets should draft Manziel because this organization doesn't have the best atmosphere for reining in problem children. Bridgewater, with Adrian Peterson and Norv Turner, is in a good spot. I still don't like that Idzik didn't cover his bases on Geno, and has risked another year (minimum) on his development. If he's not the goods, we're screwed. Are you people aware how close we are to having Jason Campbell quarterbacking the 2015 New York Jets?

I get the feeling you think you're disagreeing with me about something here, but I'm not quite sure what that's supposed to be.

You should love that.  Isn't Campbell a coach killer?

Ah. I screwed up multi quote. <3

That is the one thing I am good at. 

What part of throwing an interception and missing a wide open player on a deep ball constitute being fine?

Are you serious? Taking a shot on a deep ball on the first play of the game, that's what you're going to judge him on?

Here's a chart of yards/attempt on deep passes (Geno was 6th in the league in 20+ yard passes attempted). He was one of the most efficient QBs in the league throwing the long ball last year. That's not his problem. Even if he missed one on the first play of the second preseason game.

198indt248z3ojpg.jpg

vic_60px.jpgVic Carucci Senior Editor @viccarucci Facebook

Coach Mike Pettine announced that Brian Hoyer will be the Browns’ starter for the regular season.

Brian Hoyericon-article-link.gif

Brian Hoyer has been named the Cleveland Browns’ starting quarterback, coach Mike Pettine announced this morning.

Hoyer, who started in both of the Browns’ preseason games, won the competition against rookie Johnny Manzielicon-article-link.gif.

Ultimately, Hoyer’s biggest advantages are that he has played in the NFL for five years and the leadership qualities he has displayed.

“He was the clear leader from the beginning,” Pettine said. “We’ve maintained all along that if it was close, I would prefer to go with the more experienced player. Brian has done a great job in the meeting rooms and with his teammates on the practice field and in the locker room.”

Despite Hoyer completing only two of six passes for 16 yards in Monday night’s loss against the Washington Redskins, Pettine said that he took much more into account than one performance or what was done in either preseason game. He said he considered Hoyer’s “body of work,” which includes leading the Browns to victories in the two full games he played as a starter last season and the way he has prepared himself throughout the spring and in training camp.

“I think Brian’s been very poised,” Pettine said. “I think he’s handled the situation well. He’s had a lot of things going on.”

The most significant is the way Hoyer has battled back from the torn anterior cruciate ligament he suffered in his right knee during the Browns’ Oct. 3 victory against the Buffalo Bills.

“I think a lot of people discount that,” the coach said. “Here’s a guy coming off of a season-ending knee injury. Really, these are his first, essentially, 20-25 plays of live work back from it, and he’s only going to get better.”

The coach said it was important to name the starter this week, leading up to Saturday’s preseason game against St. Louis at FirstEnergy Stadium, to maximize the amount of time Hoyer and the rest of the offense have to prepare for the Sept. 7 regular-season opener at Pittsburgh.

“I think it’s especially good, as an offensive unit, to go out and play and gain cohesion and chemistry,” Pettine said. “That was one of the reasons I wanted to go ahead and make the decision before this third preseason game so that (Hoyer and the rest of the starting offense) could play as a unit for a good chunk of it.”

After reaching a decision with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains last night, Coach Pettine informed the players this morning.

The decision to start Hoyer does not, in the coach’s view, reflect poorly on Manziel.

“He’s certainly made great strides,” Pettine said. “We are pleased with where he is, and he has shown that he has come a long way in his ability to pick up the playbook, be coachable and lead an offense. We are confident that Johnny is going to have a great future, but we just felt that Brian still had a decided edge on him.”

vic_60px.jpgVic Carucci Senior Editor @viccarucci Facebook

Coach Mike Pettine announced that Brian Hoyer will be the Browns’ starter for the regular season.

Brian Hoyericon-article-link.gif

Brian Hoyer has been named the Cleveland Browns’ starting quarterback, coach Mike Pettine announced this morning.

Hoyer, who started in both of the Browns’ preseason games, won the competition against rookie Johnny Manzielicon-article-link.gif.

Ultimately, Hoyer’s biggest advantages are that he has played in the NFL for five years and the leadership qualities he has displayed.

“He was the clear leader from the beginning,” Pettine said. “We’ve maintained all along that if it was close, I would prefer to go with the more experienced player. Brian has done a great job in the meeting rooms and with his teammates on the practice field and in the locker room.”

Despite Hoyer completing only two of six passes for 16 yards in Monday night’s loss against the Washington Redskins, Pettine said that he took much more into account than one performance or what was done in either preseason game. He said he considered Hoyer’s “body of work,” which includes leading the Browns to victories in the two full games he played as a starter last season and the way he has prepared himself throughout the spring and in training camp.

“I think Brian’s been very poised,” Pettine said. “I think he’s handled the situation well. He’s had a lot of things going on.”

The most significant is the way Hoyer has battled back from the torn anterior cruciate ligament he suffered in his right knee during the Browns’ Oct. 3 victory against the Buffalo Bills.

“I think a lot of people discount that,” the coach said. “Here’s a guy coming off of a season-ending knee injury. Really, these are his first, essentially, 20-25 plays of live work back from it, and he’s only going to get better.”

The coach said it was important to name the starter this week, leading up to Saturday’s preseason game against St. Louis at FirstEnergy Stadium, to maximize the amount of time Hoyer and the rest of the offense have to prepare for the Sept. 7 regular-season opener at Pittsburgh.

“I think it’s especially good, as an offensive unit, to go out and play and gain cohesion and chemistry,” Pettine said. “That was one of the reasons I wanted to go ahead and make the decision before this third preseason game so that (Hoyer and the rest of the starting offense) could play as a unit for a good chunk of it.”

After reaching a decision with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains last night, Coach Pettine informed the players this morning.

The decision to start Hoyer does not, in the coach’s view, reflect poorly on Manziel.

“He’s certainly made great strides,” Pettine said. “We are pleased with where he is, and he has shown that he has come a long way in his ability to pick up the playbook, be coachable and lead an offense. We are confident that Johnny is going to have a great future, but we just felt that Brian still had a decided edge on him.”

No surprise that Hoyer will start the season for them.

No surprise that Hoyer will start the season for them.

I'm sure pettine felt that way walking off the field monday night, but wanted to give some time after the finger story to make it look like it wasn't a knee-jerk reaction. 

Archived