Bilal Powell; The Forgotten Man

JetNation

powell

Jeremy Kerley & Bilal PowellDespite coming away from Cincinnati with their second consecutive preseason win, Jets fans didn’t have a whole lot to be excited about.  After being pummeled by the Bengals starters for a little over a quarter, the Jets made a run against the Bengals’ second and third-string units to pull out a 25-17 win.  While QB Geno Smith was an efficient 10 / 13, there were enough mistakes on both sides of the ball to leave Jets fans pondering what lies ahead as the offense continues to struggle to make plays.

One player who did stand out was fourth year RB Bilal Powell.  Powell carried the ball four times for 41 yds, including one run of 32 yards and a 2-yard touchdown in the 2nd quarter.  Powell added two receptions for 13 yards and showed impressive moves and a great second effort at one point when he picked up 12 yards evading several Bengals defenders along the right sideline.

On a team that boasts a potentially potent 1-2 punch in Chris Johnson and Chris Ivory, Powell is somewhat of a forgotten man on the Jets’ offense.  Since joining the Jets in 2011 Powell has never been given a heavy workload on a consistent basis, but he has performed well at times when given the opportunity.  Powell averaged an impressive 4.1 YPC over the first six games of the 2013 season on 87 carries while hauling in 15 catches for 137 yards.  While those numbers aren’t going to get anyone to Hawaii, it’s worth noting that Powell pulled this off while playing on a team whose passing game was anemic and regularly faced seven and eight-man fronts.

Powell lacks elite speed but he exhibits patience and good vision out of the backfield and has developed in to a reliable blocker when picking up the blitz.  That’s an entirely new story. “He looks slimmer to me, and man, I love the way he protects,” Rex Ryan said. “He’s a very aggressive blocker, and that’s what you have to be to pick up these linebackers blitzing.”

So while Johnson and Ivory continue to grab the headlines, Jets fans can’t ignore Ivory’s injury history, and Johson’s mileage.  If either of those two were to miss significant time, Powell is making a bid to beat out speedy newcomer Daryl Richardson to be the next man up.  Last Saturday in Cincinnati was a good start.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
8kjQk56DoK0

View the full article

There is literally nothing in this article I agree with.

The Jets didn't get "pounded." I've watched it twice now. The issue was with our CBs. Milliner comes back and we pick up a competent two off the waiver wire and it won't be close to being as bad. 

The offense sputtered in the first mainly due to penalties but they still ran at 6 YPC clip against the Bengals 1st team D and Geno did complete a few passes in the first quarter. 

Also, how is Powell a "forgotten man?"

He is clearly going to be an important part of the offense as Ivory and Johnson both have had recent injury problems and Ivory is all but useless in the passing game.

There is literally nothing in this article I agree with.

The Jets didn't get "pounded." I've watched it twice now. The issue was with our CBs. Milliner comes back and we pick up a competent two off the waiver wire and it won't be close to being as bad. 

The offense sputtered in the first mainly due to penalties but they still ran at 6 YPC clip against the Bengals 1st team D and Geno did complete a few passes in the first quarter. 

Also, how is Powell a "forgotten man?"

He is clearly going to be an important part of the offense as Ivory and Johnson both have had recent injury problems and Ivory is all but useless in the passing game.

While they definitely played better than a lot of people were giving them credit for, the scoreboard said they were getting killed, and they couldn't even get an incomplete pass out of Daulton.  That's horrible no matter how  you look at it.  Not one incomplete pass.

The offense scored 3 points against the starters if I'm not mistaken.  JMO, but 3 points is sputtering no matter how many yards you gain before failing to get in the end zone.  Don't get me wrong, seeing Geno go 10-13 and a strong runnig game is encouraging, but they weren't scoring.

I don't think Powell is forogtten by any of the die hards that you see on message boards who are truly passionate about the team, but to the avearge Jet fan...he's forgotten.  I was really pulling for Bilal becuase in the two days I spent at camp a couple weeks ago, every single fan I overheard talking about the offense just kept saying how great Johnson and Ivory were going to be and I didn't hear Powell's name mentioned once.

While they definitely played better than a lot of people were giving them credit for, the scoreboard said they were getting killed, and they couldn't even get an incomplete pass out of Daulton.  That's horrible no matter how  you look at it.  Not one incomplete pass.

The offense scored 3 points against the starters if I'm not mistaken.  JMO, but 3 points is sputtering no matter how many yards you gain before failing to get in the end zone.  Don't get me wrong, seeing Geno go 10-13 and a strong runnig game is encouraging, but they weren't scoring.

I don't think Powell is forogtten by any of the die hards that you see on message boards who are truly passionate about the team, but to the avearge Jet fan...he's forgotten.  I was really pulling for Bilal becuase in the two days I spent at camp a couple weeks ago, every single fan I overheard talking about the offense just kept saying how great Johnson and Ivory were going to be and I didn't hear Powell's name mentioned once.

Meh.. I think once they got in a rhythm they looked fine. Had the Bengals starters stayed out the Jets likely would have scored anyway so I'm not losing sleep over them taking some time to find the flow in a game they didn't even gameplan for. 

I've been singing Powell's tune since they day he was drafted. 

I love how he was an expendable jag around here 2 weeks ago and then after the Bengals game he's our best RB.

<3 JN

I'm always shocked when I see people say he's a JAG or useless, etc...  The thing I liked most about Powell coming out of college was low miles and the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.  Once he cleaned up his blitz pick-up, I liked him even more.  I think he'd start for a few teams if he wasn't our #3.

I've been singing Powell's tune since they day he was drafted. 

I love how he was an expendable jag around here 2 weeks ago and then after the Bengals game he's our best RB.

<3 JN

More than that, he was pretty well hated around these parts this time last year by most.

A number of people still didn't seem convinced after last season, and some claimed that it spelled the end of Powell when the Jets picked up Richardson.

I'm always shocked when I see people say he's a JAG or useless, etc...  The thing I liked most about Powell coming out of college was low miles and the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.  Once he cleaned up his blitz pick-up, I liked him even more.  I think he'd start for a few teams if he wasn't our #3.

There is zero teams he would start for. His physical tools just aren't very good. 

So, he's not super fast - neither was Curtis Martin. Powell runs similarly, and shows some explosiveness. He's our best back.

You're really comparing Powell to Curtis Martin?

So, he's not super fast - neither was Curtis Martin. Powell runs similarly, and shows some explosiveness. He's our best back.

Martin had faster straightaway speed. Thought he was a 4.4 guy (at least at one time). Also his main attribute, as a runner, was a quick first cut rather than breaking tackles. I think they're different types of runners.

Both have/had similar attributes in pass protection and as decent receivers, though.

There is zero teams he would start for. His physical tools just aren't very good. 

You're really comparing Powell to Curtis Martin?

We can agree to disagree..he does a lot of things very well and has averaged just under 4.0 YPC on a team with horrible QB's and WR's so 8-in the box is a regular thing.  He does a good job of finding the hole when it's there, and hitting it.  He catches the ball well enough to be a guy you don't have to pull off the field on 3rd down, and he does a good job of picking up blitzers. 

I'm

I'm a huge fan of Powell. Never understand the hate that people have for him. He does his job and he does it well. He isn't flashy like Chris Johnson, but if Johnson and/or Ivory get hurt I have full confidence that Powell will come in and do his job. If he was a cowbell running back I'm pretty sure he would get 100 yards every game in total yards between rushing and receiving. His blitz pickups are awesome, he stands up everyone. Maybe he is forgotten by the average football fan, but anyone with some knowledge of the game can see his value.

I'm

I'm a huge fan of Powell. Never understand the hate that people have for him. He does his job and he does it well. He isn't flashy like Chris Johnson, but if Johnson and/or Ivory get hurt I have full confidence that Powell will come in and do his job. If he was a cowbell running back I'm pretty sure he would get 100 yards every game in total yards between rushing and receiving. His blitz pickups are awesome, he stands up everyone. Maybe he is forgotten by the average football fan, but anyone with some knowledge of the game can see his value.

Couldn't agree more.

Martin had faster straightaway speed. Thought he was a 4.4 guy (at least at one time). Also his main attribute, as a runner, was a quick first cut rather than breaking tackles. I think they're different types of runners.

Both have/had similar attributes in pass protection and as decent receivers, though.

I've actually always thought Powell was really comparable to Thomas Jones.  Neither with particularly great physical skill sets, but both the "jack of all trades" types, who can contribute in all aspects of the game.  Never going to be big home run threats, but will be productive and consistent when given the opportunity.

I've actually always thought Powell was really comparable to Thomas Jones.  Neither with particularly great physical skill sets, but both the "jack of all trades" types, who can contribute in all aspects of the game.  Never going to be big home run threats, but will be productive and consistent when given the opportunity.

I think he's a more dangerous receiver. Certainly more so than Jones was by his last years here where he would catch it but then he'd get dropped right away. Probably with his added strength (not to mention the pounding) he lost some of the speed & wiggle he once had. 

**** Tomas Jones. I hate that guy.

Maybe both are reliable and don't fumble or get hurt - but Powell has more wiggle. Jones was pretty boring - he did well cause we had a very good offensive line back then.

Archived