Roster Building: Jets roster 2014 vs. 2012

Jetsfan80

Nice post and all...but it would be nearly impossible for the roster not be improved from 2012- which you could make the argument was the worst offense the NFL saw this decade.

Aaron Rodgers isn't making this roster a contender.

• Upvote 1

The 2013 Jet offense was just as bad as 2012 and I don't really think that 2014 will be all that better. There are marginal improvements from 2012 to 2014 but it's nowhere enough considering the resources that the team has had the last two offseasons so you end up comparing two bad teams which some incremental improvements in a league where teams improve drastically from year to year all the time. 4-5 year rebuilding plans in the NFL are fools gold.

The deterioration of the oline is a huge concern.

• Upvote 1

We as fans put more pressure on our rookies to play at least decently out of the gate because the roster desperately needs it. We know what Stephen Hill is. We know what Kyle Wilson is...when we hear the younger guys and rookies can't beat these guys out of course it's concerning.

We all wanted Winters to play over Vlad and then when we finally played him, we realized he sucks too.

The mystery surrounding Saunders and Evans is definitely what's adding to the frustration. These were two guys we needed to play this year considering how weak we were at the wr position. Amaro seemingly having his head up his rear isn't encouraging either

McDougle we knew was injury prone but he gets a pass at least.

I'd be just as frustrated w Beckham...who obviously has some diva in him. I'm glad we didn't draft him. Benjamin's another story.

This entire post is ludicrous. I just pee'd a little laughing at how ludicrous it is. Did I mention it's ludicrous?

That's great!

Don't forget Enunwa. Another dud who might not even make the roster.

I'm not going to care all too much about a 6th round pick.

Out of 12 picks, none of them other than Pryor has shown any signs of being a good player. Thats the bottom line.

The Louisiana Tech kid has flashed, but yes other than that I'm pretty worried we struck out here entirely.

The Evans and Saunders subplots are just bizarre.

Edited by Matt39

Geno turns into "the guy" and no one mentions our CB "problems" again. Pretty much that simple.

Geno being the guy still leaves us with sh*tty corners. You're not winning a Super Bowl if you can't cover.

The Giants corners are so sh*tty they signed Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to a 5-year deal, yet they have 2 Super Bowl rings in the last 7 years. We have a more than capable pass rush, and despite our secondary woes last season, we were still middle of the pack in PPG allowed (24.2), a significant portion of those points coming because of turnovers on offense (- 14 TO differential, 30th in the NFL).

Geno turns into "the guy" and we score in the 20's consistently, and the secondary isn't an issue. You don't need studs at every level of your defense. But you do need at least average QB play to compete (with the exception of the 2009-10 Jets).

Why do we keep drafting corners so early then?

I was more talking in the Idzik era.  Matt seemed to be saying that the Jets taking Milliner and McDougle early is evidence that we aren't making the pass rush our emphasis on D. 

No, just think youre contradicting yourself here. If CB's arent that important then they shouldnt be our top rated player on the board...especially at 9 overall. And if they were worth or valued as the 9th overall pick...then you obviously think its a vital position. And if the position is that vital to take that high...we probably should have just kept arguably the best one of the 21st century instead of rolling the dice that early in the draft. It's either one or the other.

Edited by Matt39

I agree.  Revis leaving made it seem like Milliner was a response to losing Revis, but there certainly could be an argument that he was the highest player on the board.  They all seemed to have a hard-on for McDougle all camp, so much so that even though he seems a reach it is quite probable he was highest on their board.  WIlson on the other hand seems like he may have been drafted due to fear of a Revis hold out.  They did get Cromartie first.  OTOH, that draft seemed pretty deep at corner and I'm not sure who they would have taken instead.  Anybody remember?  I don't think we can complain too much about passing on Arrelious Benn or Jerry Hughes.  Maybe Saffold or TJ Ward.  Gronkowski was on the board, but I don't remember anybody clamoring for him.

The only argument one could make imo for the Jets not keeping Revis...was that him and his Uncle were just that difficult to deal with and the team couldnt take it anymore wasting that much energy on one player. I can buy that...but from strictly a dollar standpoint, he was worth whatever the Pats are paying him now. The guy is a phenomenal football player and we'd be a better team today, tomorrow and 3 years from now with him on the roster.

Edited by Matt39

That's the thing, though--you can't keep Revis on any team for three years. Judging by the last two offseasons, Idzik knows he doesn't have a competitive team right now, so the urgency to invest big dollars in short-term players isn't there. He'll spend it when he thinks the team can win.

I agree, and I can live with that. I wish the team would of come and said said Sean Gilbert is a leech but that's another story. 

My issue is with Rex here and the defense were running...it's pretty much based off CB's who can man cover. Geno cutting down the turnovers and throwing the ball better still keeps us around the .500 mark with this current secondary(if we play on heavy blitz/cover zero). Corners are essential to this defense...and even if it meant overpaying Revis for a couple years, it gave us our best chance to win if Rex was going to remain the HC.

Edited by Matt39

As has been well-chronicled, keeping Rex on a short-term deal is a head-scratcher for me. That Woody-Rex-Idzik dynamic is a weird one that we have to hope Woody divorces himself from soon. But, I'm sure, in Idzik's mind, he knows this is a throwaway season anyway so it doesn't make it break his plan to give Rex one more year to make the owner happy. If Geno has an epiphany and plays well, and he can keep Rex on to run the defense, all the better. If not, no biggie. The players he's drafted are scheme-diverse and he hasn't burned any cap space on any one scheme-specific player, so if there's a coaching change, there are no square pegs on the roster. That might explain why they avoided signing any corners this spring.

This board will not stand for this type of posting. Release the hounds Smithers.