Sign in to follow this  
Jetsfan80

Roster Building: Jets roster 2014 vs. 2012

Interesting. I think you're giving a little too much "even" grade to the same player 2 years apart. For example, 2014 Harrison is better than 2012 Harrison, 2014 Davis is better than 2012 Davis. Likewise the opposite is true for Ferguson and Mangold. Even more so when you're discussing the roster entering the 2012 season (in mid-August) before the benefit of hindsight.

Also overlooks the subtleties of the positions. My favorite ex-QB wasn't merely the QB entering 2012 but he was just given a 5-year extension with the upcoming 2 seasons guaranteed (and the then-present GM was the one who gave it to him). 

Further, I think sooner or later (probably sooner) Allen will be back at safety. It's tough to give Pryor an edge over an established pro bowl safety (particularly one who went to the pro bowl that season) but neither he nor Bell were even near-adequate in coverage. Pryor+Allen (with lesser-Landry next in line) should be. It's probably a bit of homer optimism but I'd give the 2014 safeties the edge. If I had a choice between the 2 groups I'd choose 2014 over and over, without even addressing the fact that both of our 2012 safeties were on 1-year deals.

Last, it's a little tough to compare the final product of 2012 to the potential product (good and bad) of 2014. I think many of the answers would have been different if you were comparing preseason 2012.  The CB position, in particular wouldn't have been merely an "edge" to 2012 with in-primes (and then-healthy) Revis & Cromartie. It was so much of a strength that hid other deficiencies somewhat, like the pass rush (or lack thereof).

Most of these say "even". Most of them should say "inconclusive". 

I appreciate the effort you put into this. People are going to tear it to shreds... LOL

I was going to write this same thing, in so many words.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company