Roster Building: Jets roster 2014 vs. 2012

Jetsfan80

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plus we are the perfect example to use for that argument. If there is any franchise that knows how to draft to win a Super Bowl, it's the Jets.

I was more talking in the Idzik era.  Matt seemed to be saying that the Jets taking Milliner and McDougle early is evidence that we aren't making the pass rush our emphasis on D. 

I was more talking in the Idzik era.  Matt seemed to be saying that the Jets taking Milliner and McDougle early is evidence that we aren't making the pass rush our emphasis on D. 

I agree.  Revis leaving made it seem like Milliner was a response to losing Revis, but there certainly could be an argument that he was the highest player on the board.  They all seemed to have a hard-on for McDougle all camp, so much so that even though he seems a reach it is quite probable he was highest on their board.  WIlson on the other hand seems like he may have been drafted due to fear of a Revis hold out.  They did get Cromartie first.  OTOH, that draft seemed pretty deep at corner and I'm not sure who they would have taken instead.  Anybody remember?  I don't think we can complain too much about passing on Arrelious Benn or Jerry Hughes.  Maybe Saffold or TJ Ward.  Gronkowski was on the board, but I don't remember anybody clamoring for him.

I agree.  Revis leaving made it seem like Milliner was a response to losing Revis, but there certainly could be an argument that he was the highest player on the board.  They all seemed to have a hard-on for McDougle all camp, so much so that even though he seems a reach it is quite probable he was highest on their board.  WIlson on the other hand seems like he may have been drafted due to fear of a Revis hold out.  They did get Cromartie first.  OTOH, that draft seemed pretty deep at corner and I'm not sure who they would have taken instead.  Anybody remember?  I don't think we can complain too much about passing on Arrelious Benn or Jerry Hughes.  Maybe Saffold or TJ Ward.  Gronkowski was on the board, but I don't remember anybody clamoring for him.

the problem with the McDougle pick is that he most likely would have been available in rd 4.  

I am astounded at home many Idzik homers there are on this board.  With 12 picks we are going to walk away with 1 starter, 1 rotational player, and 2-3 more who may make the team.    I can't believe that people are lining up to fellate Idzik with such poor results.   

Any number of posters on this board could have put together better results w/12 picks.    

No, just think youre contradicting yourself here. If CB's arent that important then they shouldnt be our top rated player on the board...especially at 9 overall. And if they were worth or valued as the 9th overall pick...then you obviously think its a vital position. And if the position is that vital to take that high...we probably should have just kept arguably the best one of the 21st century instead of rolling the dice that early in the draft. It's either one or the other.

The only argument one could make imo for the Jets not keeping Revis...was that him and his Uncle were just that difficult to deal with and the team couldnt take it anymore wasting that much energy on one player. I can buy that...but from strictly a dollar standpoint, he was worth whatever the Pats are paying him now. The guy is a phenomenal football player and we'd be a better team today, tomorrow and 3 years from now with him on the roster.

The only argument one could make imo for the Jets not keeping Revis...was that him and his Uncle were just that difficult to deal with and the team couldnt take it anymore wasting that much energy on one player. I can buy that...but from strictly a dollar standpoint, he was worth whatever the Pats are paying him now. The guy is a phenomenal football player and we'd be a better team today, tomorrow and 3 years from now with him on the roster.

That's the thing, though--you can't keep Revis on any team for three years. Judging by the last two offseasons, Idzik knows he doesn't have a competitive team right now, so the urgency to invest big dollars in short-term players isn't there. He'll spend it when he thinks the team can win.

That's the thing, though--you can't keep Revis on any team for three years. Judging by the last two offseasons, Idzik knows he doesn't have a competitive team right now, so the urgency to invest big dollars in short-term players isn't there. He'll spend it when he thinks the team can win.

I agree, and I can live with that. I wish the team would of come and said said Sean Gilbert is a leech but that's another story. 

My issue is with Rex here and the defense were running...it's pretty much based off CB's who can man cover. Geno cutting down the turnovers and throwing the ball better still keeps us around the .500 mark with this current secondary(if we play on heavy blitz/cover zero). Corners are essential to this defense...and even if it meant overpaying Revis for a couple years, it gave us our best chance to win if Rex was going to remain the HC.

the problem with the McDougle pick is that he most likely would have been available in rd 4.  

I am astounded at home many Idzik homers there are on this board.  With 12 picks we are going to walk away with 1 starter, 1 rotational player, and 2-3 more who may make the team.    I can't believe that people are lining up to fellate Idzik with such poor results.   

Any number of posters on this board could have put together better results w/12 picks.    

Are you talking about this season?  Because I think its a tad bit early to say only 1 player from this draft will be a starter being that they havent played at all and stuff.

I agree, and I can live with that. I wish the team would of come and said said Sean Gilbert is a leech but that's another story.

My issue is with Rex here and the defense were running...it's pretty much based off CB's who can man cover. Geno cutting down the turnovers and throwing the ball better still keeps us around the .500 mark with this current secondary(if we play on heavy blitz/cover zero). Corners are essential to this defense...and even if it meant overpaying Revis for a couple years, it gave us our best chance to win if Rex was going to remain the HC.

As has been well-chronicled, keeping Rex on a short-term deal is a head-scratcher for me. That Woody-Rex-Idzik dynamic is a weird one that we have to hope Woody divorces himself from soon. But, I'm sure, in Idzik's mind, he knows this is a throwaway season anyway so it doesn't make it break his plan to give Rex one more year to make the owner happy. If Geno has an epiphany and plays well, and he can keep Rex on to run the defense, all the better. If not, no biggie. The players he's drafted are scheme-diverse and he hasn't burned any cap space on any one scheme-specific player, so if there's a coaching change, there are no square pegs on the roster. That might explain why they avoided signing any corners this spring.

I am astounded at home many Idzik homers there are on this board. With 12 picks we are going to walk away with 1 starter, 1 rotational player, and 2-3 more who may make the team. I can't believe that people are lining up to fellate Idzik with such poor results.

IMO, this draft was about youth and depth. The players he brought in weren't going to make headlines in Draft Day, but (hopefully) guys like Evans, Saunders, Dozier, and McDougle are contributing on super-cheap deals in 2015 and beyond.

As has been well-chronicled, keeping Rex on a short-term deal is a head-scratcher for me. That Woody-Rex-Idzik dynamic is a weird one that we have to hope Woody divorces himself from soon. But, I'm sure, in Idzik's mind, he knows this is a throwaway season anyway so it doesn't make it break his plan to give Rex one more year to make the owner happy. If Geno has an epiphany and plays well, and he can keep Rex on to run the defense, all the better. If not, no biggie. The players he's drafted are scheme-diverse and he hasn't burned any cap space on any one scheme-specific player, so if there's a coaching change, there are no square pegs on the roster. That might explain why they avoided signing any corners this spring.

This board will not stand for this type of posting. Release the hounds Smithers.

I am not too fond of the draft so far, but picking guys that look like good picks between the draft and the end of preseason is not the way to draft success.  McDougle may NOT have been available in the 4th and they loved him.  He is one of the few guys that seemed to be playing well off the bat. I can see not being happy with the draft, but killing the guy seems a bit premature.  You judge a draft after 3 years, and we aren't even through 3 preseason games.  One thing I will say is that by keeping all 12 picks I am not giving any credit for developmental guys that develop elsewhere. He had to know they can't keep everybody.  Right now I am not happy, but I am willing to wait to see if they can change my mind. 

I would have loved to keep Revis.  He was a bad fit for Idzik.  The Jets were more than a great CB from anything.  The Jets were unlikely to keep him beyond 2013 and even if they could he would be a constant distraction.  If they had traded him for less than a first I'd have been pissed, but I cannot complain about the deal he made.

Are you talking about this season?  Because I think its a tad bit early to say only 1 player from this draft will be a starter being that they havent played at all and stuff.

I am talking about this season.   

be honest, heading into the draft with 12 picks you assumed the Jets would find at least 1 WR who contributed in 2014.  

IMO, this draft was about youth and depth. The players he brought in weren't going to make headlines in Draft Day, but (hopefully) guys like Evans, Saunders, Dozier, and McDougle are contributing on super-cheap deals in 2015 and beyond.

with 12 picks you can get talent in addition to youth and depth.     the issue I have is the throwaway picks.   Why not move up in lieu of taking Taj Boyd or 3 very avg WR's?   

I am talking about this season.

be honest, heading into the draft with 12 picks you assumed the Jets would find at least 1 WR who contributed in 2014.

I thought Decker gave them the flexibility to not feel forced to go WR round 1. Them taking basically a WR in Amaro was there response to taking Pryor. I figured he'd be an immediate contributor the way he was used at TT. It wasnt till the camp reports that I started doubting that (though I like what I've seen in the preseason).

To answer your question, yes, I figured they would ;) but Im not upset with what Idzik did from a receiver perspective. They have plenty of options between Decker, Kerley, Nelson, Hill, Cumby, Amaro, Sudfeld, Ford, Salas, CJ, etc.

with 12 picks you can get talent in addition to youth and depth.     the issue I have is the throwaway picks.   Why not move up in lieu of taking Taj Boyd or 3 very avg WR's?   

How were they supposed to trade up?  Picks 137, 209, 210 and 213 were all compensatory picks that could not be traded.  And with one of those "throwaway picks" we got Enemkpali, who looks like a diamond in the rough already.

What's more, dealing those late round picks to move up doesn't get you much value anyways.  You're only moving up a few spots using those late picks, and we've seen in the past (Joe McKnight) that this isn't always the best strategy.  If you're going to move up, its probably best to do so in the 1st two rounds to get a player you REALLY covet.  Those late rounders can be valuable in filling out the bottom of your roster and maybe finding those late round gems.  Tannenbaum never seemed to appreciate those late round picks like Idzik does.

Them taking basically a WR in Amaro was there response to taking Pryor. I figured he'd be an immediate contributor the way he was used at TT.

This is the one part I think often gets overlooked / forgotten by a lot of us.  I can actually understand a lot of the unhappiness with this draft and what has been seen from it so far, but I think the Jets were clearly making an attempt for using an early pick on a potential playmaker with the Amaro pick.

I know some didn't like the pick and I get being unhappy with what we've seen/heard from him so far, but I think that's a bit different than them not making an effort there.  He was actually the guy I was hoping they'd grab at that spot and he was generally considered to be a good value there.  Of course it doesn't mean that it will turn out to be a good pick, but I think it's simply different than asserting that the Jets didn't attempt to address the offensive skill positions early.  Hopefully he gets his crap together very soon and we can all feel better about it, but we'll see about that.

You would be hearing about it if any of the rookies had been standing out.

I know you're not here anymore, and that's awesome. However, with our miserable beat writers, much like our miserable fanbase, there are no positives.

I haven't been paying close attention; has Markus Wheaton shown anything? 

No. He looked really out of sync with Ben last night especially.

I have the opportunity to keep him in the 12 round this year, and again in the 7th if he pans out next year. I'm actually tempted to just drop him and use the 12 rounder on whoever might fall to me. He's not a value there anyway, that's his ADP round on most sites I look at.

Archived