Roster Building: Jets roster 2014 vs. 2012

Jetsfan80

How.  Tell us.  You can't call someone out for stupidity without even a hint of a suggestion of how he should have been building this good, competitive team.

Clearly, you haven't been spending as much time on the forums lately.

Man with the Golden Gun was way better.

F'n Oddjob.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But you aren't judging on actual results. You are judging based on preconceived notions and impetuous stupidity. 

That is were we differ. You think the jets actual results are great because you're perfectly fine with mediocrity. I'm sure you had an 8-8 party last year because when you win 8 games with a 3 win roster that's a victory to you.  You think winning 8 games in proof of "Idzik's plan coming together." And when they go 8-8 or worse this season you'll find a reason to delude yourself into thinking it was a great season again.

That is were we differ. You think the jets actual results are great because you're perfectly fine with mediocrity. I'm sure you had an 8-8 party last year because when you win 8 games with a 3 win roster that's a victory to you.  You think winning 8 games in proof of "Idzik's plan coming together." And when they go 8-8 or worse this season you'll find a reason to delude yourself into thinking it was a great season again.

LOL, have you actually ever read my posts before? Serious question. 

So there you have it.  The Jets have improved at QB, RB, WR and the Front 7.  They appear to have improved the talent level at TE and S by virtue of their top draft picks, though it is far too early to tell.  They've maintained a steady level of talent at C, NT, ILB and on Special Teams.  T, G, and CB are the spots where they have gotten weaker, though the deficiencies they've suffered may be overstated.

In just two offseasons, the Jets are looking a lot better than they did at the conclusion of 2012 in terms of talent.  They improved from 6-10 to 8-8 in 2013 to display a tangible improvement.  It remains to be seen if Rex Ryan can bring it all together, which will above all else require a step up in play from Geno Smith.  The improved talent around him on offense certainly limits his excuses should he fail to so.  Failure would also likely result in a new Head Coach/QB combo being brought in.  But given what Idzik has accomplished thus far, his job should be viewed as being quite safe.

Idzik is doing a great job of building depth and closing the gap between the Jets starters and backups.    Right now the Jets have the best 2's in the NFL.....wonderful.   

Where is the top end talent?    Is Amaro going to be the next Graham or Gronkowski?   is milliner the next Peterson?  

Right now Idzik has built a great JV team.   Let me know when we have the best Varsity squad b/c right now this team is an afterthought in the discussion of superbowl contenders.  

Idzik is doing a great job of building depth and closing the gap between the Jets starters and backups.    Right now the Jets have the best 2's in the NFL.....wonderful.   

Where is the top end talent?    Is Amaro going to be the next Graham or Gronkowski?   is milliner the next Peterson?  

Right now Idzik has built a great JV team.   Let me know when we have the best Varsity squad b/c right now this team is an afterthought in the discussion of superbowl contenders.  

No they don't. 

Idzik has been doing everything in his power to bring in potential stars.  It's not exactly easy to do.  Richardson and Decker look like true "varsity" guys.  Pryor and Milliner (yes, there's still time for him) could end up in that category.  Wilkerson was here already.  It's entirely too early to be demanding stars all over the field.  If Idzik is doing well at the grunt work stuff while nailing his early draft picks, we could build something special here.

Are you ******* kidding me? Amaro hasn't even played a down, Milliner is coming into his second season. This sh*t doesn't happen over night, wtf is wrong with you people?

Idzik has been doing everything in his power to bring in potential stars.  It's not exactly easy to do.  Richardson and Decker look like true "varsity" guys.  Pryor and Milliner (yes, there's still time for him) could end up in that category.  Wilkerson was here already.  It's entirely too early to be demanding stars all over the field.  If Idzik is doing well at the grunt work stuff while nailing his early draft picks, we could build something special here.

and how many of the 12 draft picks are going to be on the opening day roster?     Idzik the patient didn't make a single move during the draft using all 12 picks.    how many of those 12 will be active week 1?  

and how many of the 12 draft picks are going to be on the opening day roster?     Idzik the patient didn't make a single move during the draft using all 12 picks.    how many of those 12 will be active week 1?  

2 it looks like. The draft was just an utter disaster and w ill haunt this franchise for years, even if Pryor is a great player. 

Well don't forget that a lot of those picks couldn't be packaged to move up because they were compensatory picks.  You know, the picks at the end of rounds that Tannenbaum never valued.

It used to be that we complained about there not being enough competition on the roster.  Now we draft 12 players and suddenly the complaint is that we didn't trade up and now have too MANY players competing for spots.

Most will make the team.  Some will make the practice squad.  Maybe 1 or 2 get cut entirely.  I don't have the answer to that, as we still have 2 preseason games remaining.  I don't see an issue with this. 

The 49ers, who unlike us are loaded with talent, used 11 draft picks in the 2013 draft, and things turned out ok.  They drafted a safety 1st round (Reid) like us, got a TE in the 2nd round (Vance McDonald), grabbed a couple skill players in the middle rounds (Quinton Patton, Marcus Lattimore), a late round QB (BJ Daniels), etc etc.  A lot of those picks haven't worked out to this point, but they didn't see any issue with drafting "too many players."

Are you ******* kidding me? Amaro hasn't even played a down, Milliner is coming into his second season. This sh*t doesn't happen over night, wtf is wrong with you people?

it's ok to agree with the strategy and disagree on the tactics.   Yes the Jets needed to rebuild, I'm just not a believer in the high volume low ceiling approach - it actually reminds me a lot of Mangini.  

The jets could have signed any number of CB's this off-season and chose not to.   they could have had revis but chose not to b/c of personal issues.   ok, no problem just don't trot old dimitri patterson out there and tell me he's the best you could do.  

I see Evans, Enunwa, and Sanders.  Personally I would have preferred Jordan Mathews.   I see yet another 1st rd DB and yet the secondary is the weakest part of the team.   

Let's let this season play out and have the same discussion.   it's easy to nitpick right now since there really isn't much else going on.   

The 49ers, who unlike us are loaded with talent, used 11 draft picks in the 2013 draft, and things turned out ok.  They drafted a safety 1st round (Reid) like us, got a TE in the 2nd round (Vance McDonald), grabbed a couple skill players in the middle rounds (Quinton Patton, Marcus Lattimore), a late round QB (BJ Daniels), etc etc.  A lot of those picks haven't worked out to this point, but they didn't see any issue with drafting "too many players."

49ers are a very poor example as they have one of the most talented teams in the NFL.   The Jets are using a similar model to the 49ers and Seahawk with the "redshirt" year for their late rd picks.   Basically the 2014 draft is to play in 2015.    That's a great model when you are top to bottom ballers.  unfortunately for the NYJ their roster is barely competitive today.  

My problem with Idzik is not the plan but the execution of it.   As the market changes he needs to be able to adjust and so far he doesn't seem capable of doing that.  

it's ok to agree with the strategy and disagree on the tactics.   Yes the Jets needed to rebuild, I'm just not a believer in the high volume low ceiling approach - it actually reminds me a lot of Mangini.  

The jets could have signed any number of CB's this off-season and chose not to.   they could have had revis but chose not to b/c of personal issues.   ok, no problem just don't trot old dimitri patterson out there and tell me he's the best you could do.  

I see Evans, Enunwa, and Sanders.  Personally I would have preferred Jordan Mathews.   I see yet another 1st rd DB and yet the secondary is the weakest part of the team.   

Let's let this season play out and have the same discussion.   it's easy to nitpick right now since there really isn't much else going on.   

I don't think Idzik himself would say Dimitri Patterson is the "Best he could do".  He was signed to a 1-year $3M deal.  He's the cheap option.  Of course he wasn't the best out there.  The problem you're having is recognizing that that is not a terrible decision when your goal is be a perennial contender.  If you don't like the players on the market, you don't hand an expensive 5-year deal to one just to do it. 

Every team uses stopgaps and this was a clear example of one.  Contrary to popular opinion, Idzik isn't simply mailing in the 2014 season by signing a stopgap CB.  He does want to win now.  But not at the expense of the future.  Last year was about clearing bad contracts and starting fresh.  This year is about development.  It's a process.  Enjoy it.

49ers are a very poor example as they have one of the most talented teams in the NFL.   The Jets are using a similar model to the 49ers and Seahawk with the "redshirt" year for their late rd picks.   Basically the 2014 draft is to play in 2015.   

So you're saying its a bad move for Idzik to follow a model thay promotes long-term success, I.E. the model that helped win his former team a Super Bowl?

Archived