Time for a new punter?

Better2bgreenthanblue

While I didn't see the game yet (thanks NFL for blacking out all of upstate NY, yea sure I am going to drive 6 hours to see a preseason game) I see from the ESPN feed that Quigley was awful again. Looks like a couple shanks and a bunch of meh punts. Are there any talented punters on the market? Maybe we could trade Hill for a decent punter lol? Seriously though the guy never impressed me.

Can't bitch about the QB, might as well get your panties in a bunch over the punter. Typical.

Hey I almost never complain! However I am worried about Quigley. I think we need a better punter to create space for our D. Maybe it just me but I think a 25 yard shank is almost like turning the ball over.

Hopefully a decent Punter shakes loose this week.

I still don't know why we got rid of Weatherford.

I'm not sure if this is the reason but I remember reading that he made a decision on his own to fake a punt and try to run for a 1st down.  It was like a 4th and 15 and he got about 14 yds.  Possibly he fell out of favor after that one and the team cut him.  I liked Weatherford too btw.

I'm not sure if this is the reason but I remember reading that he made a decision on his own to fake a punt and try to run for a 1st down. It was like a 4th and 15 and he got about 14 yds. Possibly he fell out of favor after that one and the team cut him. I liked Weatherford too btw.

You're talking about the Green Bay game 4 years ago. It was 3rd and 7 and Westhoff told the ST unit that if they don't get the first down they were faking the punt. On 3rd down Sanchez got sacked and it became 4th and 15. Westhoff cancelled the fake punt but apparently Weatherford didn't get the message and went for it and almost got it anyway. Actually initially it was called a first down but was then reversed upon review. But that was a turning point for Weatherford and Westhoff's

relationship because they exchanged words and blamed each other. They never got along for the rest of the season so when the season ended and he was a free agent the organization sided with Westhoff and let Weatherford go.

Westhoff was doing the pre-game yesterday and previewed the kicking game. When he got to Weatherford, he said that Weatherford will boot it, but he yields a lot of return yards, citing that Weatherford have up 700 return yards last year alone and that some punters don't give up 700 yards in five years.

While I didn't see the game yet (thanks NFL for blacking out all of upstate NY, yea sure I am going to drive 6 hours to see a preseason game) I see from the ESPN feed that Quigley was awful again. Looks like a couple shanks and a bunch of meh punts. Are there any talented punters on the market? Maybe we could trade Hill for a decent punter lol? Seriously though the guy never impressed me.

We've needed a new punter 15 years ago, still haven't had a good one since I could remember.

I'm not sure if this is the reason but I remember reading that he made a decision on his own to fake a punt and try to run for a 1st down.  It was like a 4th and 15 and he got about 14 yds.  Possibly he fell out of favor after that one and the team cut him.  I liked Weatherford too btw.

No, he actually got the first down. Ran like 20 odd yards if we are talking about the same play. And he was let go after he had a string of horrible punts in the 2010 (or 2011?) playoffs. But I really liked him. He was excellent prior to that. He's been pretty good for the Giants.

No, he actually got the first down. Ran like 20 odd yards if we are talking about the same play. And he was let go after he had a string of horrible punts in the 2010 (or 2011?) playoffs. But I really liked him. He was excellent prior to that. He's been pretty good for the Giants.

It was against Green Bay, on the field it was called that he got the first down and it was challenged and reversed.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=5765350&city=newyork&src=desktop

Westhoff was doing the pre-game yesterday and previewed the kicking game. When he got to Weatherford, he said that Weatherford will boot it, but he yields a lot of return yards, citing that Weatherford have up 700 return yards last year alone and that some punters don't give up 700 yards in five years.

Interesting stuff. Thanks.

Did Westhoff forget to mention Weatherford is among the league leaders every year in pinning opposing teams inside the 20 ? Cant blame Weatherford for bad punt coverage

While I really liked Westhoff as a coach probably the best one on our staff for years the guy will never admit when hes wrong and on Weatherford he was wrong

Did Westhoff forget to mention Weatherford is among the league leaders every year in pinning opposing teams inside the 20 ? Cant blame Weatherford for bad punt coverage

While I really liked Westhoff as a coach probably the best one on our staff for years the guy will never admit when hes wrong and on Weatherford he was wrong

Yeah sometimes Westhoff has annoying opinions.  He was ripping our coaching staff before the Bengals preseason game saying "Why are they starting Antonio Allen at corner over Wilson???" And then Wilson got burned like three times.  Shut up, Westhoff.

I remember reading at the time that the reason Weatherford was let go was his lack of ability to directional punt...while his leg power is sufficient, he had little control over where it was going and Westhoff valued the accuracy...couldve been personal bulls#!t.

Yes, Quigley is horrible.

I remember reading at the time that the reason Weatherford was let go was his lack of ability to directional punt...while his leg power is sufficient, he had little control over where it was going and Westhoff valued the accuracy...couldve been personal bulls#!t.

Yes, Quigley is horrible.

Actully Westoff said that Weatherford had a terrible net average. Which makes no sense if you lead the league in pinning teams inside the 20 because that in itself will lower your net average. Also part of being good at pinning teams inside the 20 is directional punting so everything Westoff was blurting out about Weatherford was pure nonsense and he knows it . What it came down to was a personality conflict with 2 hard headed guys

Quigley is awful. I don't know why he's still here, I wish they'd upgrade, especially since it's getting harder and harder to play defense and the yards really add up.

He had back to back 30 yard punts on Friday. I can do that. That's why they don't pay me.

Quigley is absolutely terrible, but I find it peculiar how many people seem to have forgotten what happened with Weatherford here.  While he's been better the past few years with the Giants, do you all really forget how horrendously awful he was at the end of 2010, particularly in the playoffs?  He was an absolute disaster and everyone around here was calling for his head.  From week 13 through the end of the playoffs, he had 5 games where his gross average was in the 30s, 2 of those which had a net average in the 20s.  He got cut because he sucked ass.

Obviously so have his successors, and that certainly needs to change.

Archived