Rex said Jalen Saunders had a seizure last week

Maxman

Did you volunteer your expertise prior to this moment?

Expertise on what? You mean guessing that it was a seizure?

Given that we were told there was a medical incident involved, that it was a 1 car crash, that no charges were filed against him nor discipline being considered by the Jets, and given his age, yeah, it's not surprising at all that this was a seizure.

Given that we were told there was a medical incident involved, that it was a 1 car crash, that no charges were filed against him nor discipline being considered by the Jets, and given his age, yeah, it's not surprising at all that this was a seizure.

And don't forget, "most likely explanation". 

It has been speculated that he sh*t himself.

Well we finally know what happened. It sounded like it might have been a seizure from the reports but now it's confirmed.

It's good to have him back either way. I look forward to seeing what his contributions are. 

Jalen Saunders Gets to 'Shed the Red'

Posted 2 hours ago

Brennan_TJ_headshot.jpgTJ BrennanReporter

•  
  •  
Jets' Rookie WR/PR Receives Full Medical Clearance to Practice, Play at Philly

jalen-story1.jpg

The Jets received good news today about rookie WR Jalen Saunders, who was cleared to practice fully for the first time since his one-car accident before the Cincinnati game.

Head coach Rex Ryan announced that a seizure was the “medical event” that caused Saunders’ accident while driving to the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center in Florham Park on Aug. 15.

“He’s been cleared for full [activity], and he looked good today,” Ryan said. “I think everybody is excited to see him.”

jalen-story2.jpg

The rookie said he feels 100 percent since receiving a number of tests after the seizure, adding that despite this experience, he will not change his approach to playing the game.

“Never. That’s why they drafted me,” he said on being more cautious. “I’m out here proving my point to them that I’m the player that they should be able to trust.”

Saunders said that there’s no history of seizures in his family, and he is ready to get back to action.

Good news for Jalen: Ryan said he’s sure that Saunders will see an expanded role at Philadelphia on Thursday to make up for some of the time he’s missed while working with doctors and trainers.

“Expect to see a great deal of him in this game,” Ryan said, “as a receiver as well as a punt returner.”

Saunders is healthy, which should answer the major concern for Jets fans, but he is confident he’ll be back even more so now that he knows what caused the crash.

“I’m not concerned at all,” he said last week as he awaited test results. “I feel I have a bright future ahead of me.”

Ryan wasn’t the only one who was happy to see Saunders catching punts and making plays again.

“It was good to see him back out there," fellow WR Greg Salas said. "I’m happy he’s OK and everything is working out for him. It was good seeing him catch a few balls and make a few plays.”

The seizure had Saunders and his family concerned about his health and safety, and his football career was temporarily put on hold.

“I was scared myself, and my family, of course,” he said. “It’s something that’s very, very scary in my life, but other than that, I’m blessed to be here.”

He was cleared to participate in non-contact drills during practice on Sunday, but was able to take the red no-contact jersey off today. This week and the rest of the season appear to be business as usual for Jalen.

“I’m out here playing ball,” he said.

If he's 100% healthy why the **** did he have a seizure?

It happens more than you would think. I treat people all the time who've had seizures once ten years ago and have never had another episode. There are reasons of course, but none that can stop people from recieving normal liberties. 

Believe me if you knew how many people were driving around with either a seizure history or potential for a seizure you may consider staying off of the road.

I'm happy to have him back

If he's 100% healthy why the **** did he have a seizure?

It happened to my wife's friend years ago. Out of nowhere she had a seizure. Doctors ran tons of tests on her, and found nothing. She hasn't had anything like it since. Very, very strange.

Jalen Saunders

Today the Jets confirmed what many media outlets have speculated on for just over a week in regard to rookie wide receiver Jalen Saunders.  After experiencing what the Jets, up until now, would only refer to as a “medical event” has now been reported as a seizure. Rex Ryan explains what happened:

We were sitting back just waiting for the young man to be cleared. He had a seizure and that is the extent of what we know. We let the professionals handle it. When the doctors were confident that he would be cleared, he was and that is where he’s at now.

Initially, the Jets claimed that the event was not related to a pre-existing medical condition.  This would lead us to believe that this is a first-time incident for the rookie WR who was selected in the fourth round of this  year’s draft out of Oklahoma.

JetNation had the chance to speak with New Jersey physician Dr. Richard Greco who had this to say about moving forward with Saunders.

If it was a single seizure it doesn’t necessarily mean they’re going to suffer a recurrent one.  With no history and not related to a medication they’re taking, you have to wait.  If there is a second seizure not long after the first one, then it has to be looked at as a chronic condition.  For Jalen Saunders, as long as the rest of his neurological tests come back normal, he’ll probably be monitored for six months.

As far as Saunders playing this week, Dr. Greco continued, “assuming all tests have come back normal, there’s no reason for any restrictions”

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
aOTs9Gxb22o

View the full article

Here is another short blog post by JetNation's own Glenn Naughton (Air Force Jet Fan).  Thanks Glenn!

Jalen Saunders Seizure; What That Means Moving Forward

Today the Jets confirmed what many media outlets have speculated on for just over a week in regard to rookie wide receiver Jalen Saunders.  After experiencing what the Jets, up until now, would only refer to as a “medical event” has now been reported as a seizure. Rex Ryan explains what happened:

We were sitting back just waiting for the young man to be cleared. He had a seizure and that is the extent of what we know. We let the professionals handle it. When the doctors were confident that he would be cleared, he was and that is where he’s at now.

Initially, the Jets claimed that the event was not related to a pre-existing medical condition.  This would lead us to believe that this is a first-time incident for the rookie WR who was selected in the fourth round of this  year’s draft out of Oklahoma.

JetNation had the chance to speak with New Jersey physician Dr. Richard Greco who had this to say about moving forward with Saunders.

If it was a single seizure it doesn’t necessarily mean they’re going to suffer a recurrent one.  With no history and not related to a medication they’re taking, you have to wait. If there is a second seizure not long after the first one, then it has to be looked at as a chronic condition.  For Jalen Saunders, as long as the rest of his neurological tests come back normal, he’ll probably be monitored for six months.

As far as Saunders playing this week, Dr. Greco continued, “assuming all tests have come back normal, there’s no reason for any restrictions”

I really like the way this kid plays. I hope this is a 1-time incident and he can put it behind him and resume his football career.

To me, he represents the opportunity to have that Tavon Austin / McCluster / Sproles / Woodhead kind of element in the offense. 

I really like the way this kid plays. I hope this is a 1-time incident and he can put it behind him and resume his football career.

To me, he represents the opportunity to have that Tavon Austin / McCluster / Sproles / Woodhead kind of element in the offense. 

My thoughts exactly...I do remember people saying he's a "poor man's Brandin Cooks" who drew comparisons to Austin.

I wasn't impressed with how he looked against the Bengals.  He was very tentative on his punt returns, dancing around and getting little yardage.  He certainly didn't stand out.  He is undersized and quick, but not a real speed burner.   I don't know where all the optimism about his potential is coming from even before the seizure caused him to miss most of training camp.  

I dunno what Saunders has done to deserve a roster spot on the final 53. He has had a quiet training camp even before his medical incident. The only reason he is still in the hunt is because he was drafted in the 4th round.  And then again he did not deserve a 4th round pick.

So what we have is a guy who is under sized, has had a subpar camp even before his medical issues, whoi at best is a 5th or 6th round talent, who might have none to very limited impact on the field except maybe fielding punt returns where he still has not shown much promise so far getting a roster spot over someone who has worked their butt off and are having a stellar training camp like Salas or even Gates. So much for competition mantra that is being preached. It would utter travesty if Saunders makes the team.

I dunno what Saunders has done to deserve a roster spot on the final 53. He has had a quiet training camp even before his medical incident. The only reason he is still in the hunt is because he was drafted in the 4th round.  And then again he did not deserve a 4th round pick.

So what we have is a guy who is under sized, has had a subpar camp even before his medical issues, whoi at best is a 5th or 6th round talent, who might have none to very limited impact on the field except maybe fielding punt returns where he still has not shown much promise so far getting a roster spot over someone who has worked their butt off and are having a stellar training camp like Salas or even Gates. So much for competition mantra that is being preached. It would utter travesty if Saunders makes the team.

lmfao

Archived