Jets to try to unload Stephen Hill -- Cimini/Schefter Reports (merged)

Gastineau Lives

What's Cumberland's health situation?  Haven't heard anything in a little while now, but if he gets healthy and Amaro can keep playing like we saw on Friday, you'll see a ton of them on the field together.  Particularly since both of these guys are capable of lining up at WR too.  If you can potentially have both of them, Decker, Kerley, and CJ on the field together, there's a lot less pressure on whoever would be next up at WR, ultimately making it easier to give the job to a relative unknown (i.e., Salas).

Yes. I could easily see Amaro or Cumberland lined up outside with Kerley in the slot. Chris Johnson figures to loom large in the passing game this year, too.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody is trading anything for Hill that will truly make the Jets better. So the real question is, if you decide to keep Hill, who's roster spot is he taking? If it's Salas, then Nick Folk should get a free full swing kick to Idzick's junk. He looks more natural than Hill, Nelson, Gates or any other of those chumps. He's the perfect example of a fringe player giving everything they've got and refusing to miss out on the opportunity (hoping a CB does the same).

I don't think they can stash IK or Rielly for that matter, so if he made it over them that would piss me off too..but who knows.

All that said, I still have a hard time seeing them dumping a 2nd Rd pick that they drafted knowing he was raw and would take a few years to develop. I get that Idzick didn't draft him, but still, I have a hard time seeing them just flat out cutting him.

If the coaches don't think injuries are what caused him to slow his progress, and he doesn't fit our scheme.. second rounder or not, he's gotta go. I don't care what he can do for another org. He doesn't work out for us, he doesn't work out. I am tired of over extended stays cause someone was picked high. Lets cut ties and move on, if he is that terrible. Only question left is, who is our speed guy who takes the top off the defense?

Hill doesn't have the skills to really develop into anything. The things he can't do you can't teach...he's just entirely too uncoordinated.

I disagree. He can't catch the ball at its highest point, or catch with his hands away from his body. Terrible attributes on a guy who is paid to.. catch. But I think someone can teach that puss how to catch like a real receiver. 

If the coaches don't think injuries are what caused him to slow his progress, and he doesn't fit our scheme.. second rounder or not, he's gotta go. I don't care what he can do for another org. He doesn't work out for us, he doesn't work out. I am tired of over extended stays cause someone was picked high. Lets cut ties and move on, if he is that terrible. Only question left is, who is our speed guy who takes the top off the defense?

Teams tend to be more patient with high draft picks than fans.  Maybe I'm wrong...but I'd be suprised he's cut. 

I disagree. He can't catch the ball at its highest point, or catch with his hands away from his body. Terrible attributes on a guy who is paid to.. catch. But I think someone can teach that puss how to catch like a real receiver.

Did you see the slant he ran against the Giants that DRC broke up? That was the last straw there...I mean that's basic WR stuff.

The catch he made the other night, was at its highest point on an overthrown ball.  He can make plays, he's done it in real games...he's just not consistent.  The question is, is that worthy of a roster spot or is it worthy of taking someone else's roster spot?

The catch he made the other night, was at its highest point on an overthrown ball.  He can make plays, he's done it in real games...he's just not consistent.  The question is, is that worthy of a roster spot or is it worthy of taking someone else's roster spot?

Even Sanchez threw a decent ball every once in a while. But mostly, Hill catches the ball with his body. I know this, cause it made me insane. I don't really mind if he stays or goes. he started last season at a decent pace. I don't see too many receivers on our roster that jump out as super talented and must be ahead of him. 

Even Sanchez threw a decent ball every once in a while. But mostly, Hill catches the ball with his body. I know this, cause it made me insane. I don't really mind if he stays or goes. he started last season at a decent pace. I don't see too many receivers on our roster that jump out as super talented and must be ahead of him. 

Well, thats just it.  Is Nelson really that much better?  I like Salas, but is he?  Who else, Gates?  With the way they lost WR's last season too...again, I dont see him getting cut.

Well, thats just it.  Is Nelson really that much better?  I like Salas, but is he?  Who else, Gates?  With the way they lost WR's last season too...again, I dont see him getting cut.

I like Nelson. I liked him in Buffalo, I liked him when he started stringing it together at the end of the season. He just seems "safe". We need some of that. Salas.. the latest sweetheart among us. But I do remember twitter posts by the beat writers that in camp he wasn't that sure handed. But in the pre season games, he's looked solid. I'd keep him around, but at the price of cutting Hill? Tough call. Gates? Oh God. I want him gone more than I did Sanchez. I think you're right. Either way, I am kind of happy that the offense isn't my biggest fear for us anymore. Weird but good feeling. 

I like Nelson. I liked him in Buffalo, I liked him when he started stringing it together at the end of the season. He just seems "safe". We need some of that. Salas.. the latest sweetheart among us. But I do remember twitter posts by the beat writers that in camp he wasn't that sure handed. But in the pre season games, he's looked solid. I'd keep him around, but at the price of cutting Hill? Tough call. Gates? Oh God. I want him gone more than I did Sanchez. I think you're right. Either way, I am kind of happy that the offense isn't my biggest fear for us anymore. Weird but good feeling. 

Geno seems comfortable with Nelson.  He's a decent player. Salas looked good in preseason and game time last year too.  Seems like he catches the ball well.  I'm not a practice but I dont see his hands as a problem based on what we've seen in live action.

Its probably going to be Decker, Kerley, Nelson, Hill, Salas, Hakim...maybe Saunders IMO.

Geno seems comfortable with Nelson.  He's a decent player. Salas looked good in preseason and game time last year too.  Seems like he catches the ball well.  I'm not a practice but I dont see his hands as a problem based on what we've seen in live action.

Its probably going to be Decker, Kerley, Nelson, Hill, Salas, Hakim...maybe Saunders IMO.

I don't get the Hakim pick up. Is it just his insane speed? 

I don't get the Hakim pick up. Is it just his insane speed? 

4.2 speed, need a kick returner, apparently he made some plays as a gunner.  He might be the new Wallace Wright type of player for the Jets, with a lot more speed.

So you've got Nelson cutting off routes and possibly causing Geno INT's (a point made by Matt, I believe), and there's Hill.  If neither of them are our WR2 I guess its Salas?  Or do we use a ton of 2-TE sets?

I'm not going to fault Nelson for one bad route in the preseason, but if I had to pick the top four players to field on offense, two of them would be TEs, and Kerley would be out there...somewhere. 

I think that's more the problem than anything. Hill hasn't done anything to earn himself a job, but there's such a dearth of talent around him that's not really forcing him out of a job. I'd hoped that one of the rookies would show something, but it doesn't really look at this point that any of them is really going to make an immediate contribution at WR.

So you've got Nelson cutting off routes and possibly causing Geno INT's (a point made by Matt, I believe), and there's Hill. If neither of them are our WR2 I guess its Salas? Or do we use a ton of 2-TE sets?

This

Our starting 5 skill players will probably be 3 headed monster at RB for 1 skill position, and Cumby, Jace, Kerley, and Decker. The good is you can run every single play in the play book with that personal from jumbo single, or double backfield using Jace as an H-Back, or jumbo 2 TE sets, or 5 wide moving the RB into the slot kinda like the Pats did when both Gronk, and Hernandez were healthy.

The bad, outside of CJ you have zero deep threat, and defenses can continue to stack the box trying to contain our run game, and sending multiple blitzes to try, and confuse Geno.

Geno us the X factor in all of this, if he can consistently show defenses he can read them, and identify the mismatches quickly then the coordinators will have to respect the Jets passing game, and in turn would open up our running game even more turning what we all hope is a very good running game into a dominant run game, and with our DB's this is pretty much the key to our season.

What I'm taking away from the report that Hill was on the trading block this off season (and that the Jet coaches were talking him up this pre-season) is that Idzik actually gets it.

He works quietly.  He's patient.  But he's not standing pat with this roster.  This is another example of a player that needs to go and Idzik being on the money when it comes to the analysis.  

He let other GM's know Hill is on the block.  He had his coaches talk him up to hopefully drive up his value in the off season.  Did what he could to get rid of a non productive player (and drafted 3 WR's, signed top FA WR).

I'd imagine he's taking the same approach to our CB situation.  I actually believe if there's an opportunity to improve the position group he'll do it (and don't give me the Revis/Cromartie crap).  His first draft choice was a top-10 DB, he spent a 3rd on one this year, etc.

I think that's more the problem than anything. Hill hasn't done anything to earn himself a job, but there's such a dearth of talent around him that's not really forcing him out of a job. I'd hoped that one of the rookies would show something, but it doesn't really look at this point that any of them is really going to make an immediate contribution at WR.

Thats why I dont see him getting cut.

It's about the same amount of time Chad Jackson had before Belichick 86'd his career.

Jackson was the definition of a bust...but its also much harder making at the time, the best offense ever, compared to making the Jets roster.

The catch he made the other night, was at its highest point on an overthrown ball. He can make plays, he's done it in real games...he's just not consistent. The question is, is that worthy of a roster spot or is it worthy of taking someone else's roster spot?

I think Hill's biggest problem isn't getting the ball at its highest point, but more so (like the slant DRC broke up) coming back to balls, and attacking them in the air instead of waiting for the ball to get to him, and thus is why QB's won't trust him. I watched the Ari/Cincy game, and Dalton threw a 5 yard out to AJ Green but it was a little short, and he had to aggressively come back to it, or Cromartie would have easily stepped in front of him for an easy pick 6, and if Hill was the intended WR it would have been.

Teams tend to be more patient with high draft picks than fans.  Maybe I'm wrong...but I'd be suprised he's cut. 

But it wasn't Idzik's high pick.  They've been very patient with him but if he isn't showing basic abilities as a WR at this stage he needs to go. 

But it wasn't Idzik's high pick.  They've been very patient with him but if he isn't showing basic abilities as a WR at this stage he needs to go. 

I get that...but not sure it really matters.  LIke others and I have said, its not like they've got a ton of options that are instant or guaranteed upgrades.

I'm glad you've been very patient with him but unfortunately for all of us, you're not making any roster decisions, so I'd still be surprised to see him cut.

I get that...but not sure it really matters.  LIke others and I have said, its not like they've got a ton of options that are instant or guaranteed upgrades.

I'm glad you've been very patient with him but unfortunately for all of us, you're not making any roster decisions, so I'd still be surprised to see him cut.

Well if they intend to carry 6 WR's on the active roster I imagine he'd have a spot.  But if Nelson, Salas, and Hill are competing for 2 spots, and Hill has already been rumored to be on the trade block, I don't think it would be too surprising to see him go.

Archived