Jets to try to unload Stephen Hill -- Cimini/Schefter Reports (merged)

Gastineau Lives

And this is why it's such a gamble, with a high failure-rate, to take such developmental projects with such high picks, even if it does occasionally work out (e.g. JPP). Worse still, Tannenbaum had just taken a developmental 2nd round bust in 2010 (Ducasse). 

There always have been, and always will be, busts in the first couple of rounds, even when they weren't developmental-type picks. It happens to the best-drafting teams, even if they're overlooked or not harped-on years later because we simply don't follow them as closely as the Jets. But you're doubling up on the bust potential when you first need to teach the guy to play the position and only THEN see if he's good enough to compete against the best pros around. 

This is what scared me a little bit about Amaro.  They drafted him as a TE but in all reality he was a WR in college.  Bascially going to have to learn to play TE, but at least he should still be able to contribute when he does line up elsewhere.  I get what you mean though, why add risk to an already risky situation?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And this is why it's such a gamble, with a high failure-rate, to take such developmental projects with such high picks, even if it does occasionally work out (e.g. JPP). Worse still, Tannenbaum had just taken a developmental 2nd round bust in 2010 (Ducasse). 

There always have been, and always will be, busts in the first couple of rounds, even when they weren't developmental-type picks. It happens to the best-drafting teams, even if they're overlooked or not harped-on years later because we simply don't follow them as closely as the Jets. But you're doubling up on the bust potential when you first need to teach the guy to play the position and only THEN see if he's good enough to compete against the best pros around. 

I know we all look at HIll as this monumental bust, but I keep saying it... there were two guys with worse numbers taken before him that year alone, AJ Jenkins and Brian Quick.

This is what scared me a little bit about Amaro.  They drafted him as a TE but in all reality he was a WR in college.  Bascially going to have to learn to play TE, but at least he should still be able to contribute when he does line up elsewhere.  I get what you mean though, why add risk to an already risky situation?

They drafted him to be a giant pass catcher. No one bitches about Jimmy Graham's development because of his blocking. If he blocks well that's a bonus.  But a guy with his numbers as a senior isn't nearly the developmental player that Hill was. Amaro needed to learn a lot of nuances of the pro game (blocking, sharpening up his route-running, learning his route trees), but you already knew - or rather, thought you knew - he could catch a football, even in traffic and even when everyone knows he's the go-to "pass catcher" on the play, no matter what his official position title is. 

I know we all look at HIll as this monumental bust, but I keep saying it... there were two guys with worse numbers taken before him that year alone, AJ Jenkins and Brian Quick.

This isn't Highlander. There can be more than one.

Besides, entirely possible those guys have worse numbers because their teams weren't as desperate at the position.

They drafted him to be a giant pass catcher. No one bitches about Jimmy Graham's development because of his blocking. If he blocks well that's a bonus.  But a guy with his numbers as a senior isn't nearly the developmental player that Hill was. Amaro needed to learn a lot of nuances of the pro game (blocking, sharpening up his route-running, learning his route trees), but you already knew - or rather, thought you knew - he could catch a football, even in traffic and even when everyone knows he's the go-to "pass catcher" on the play, no matter what his official position title is. 

Exactly, which is why I don't mind it as much since he SHOULD still be able to contribute.  If he doesn't develop in to a great all-around TE, it's not the end of the world.  If the Jets are expecting that of him, it could be a mistake, but there's no rush to get him "polished" like there was with Hill.  Amaro should be able to do enough to minimize any other shortcomings he has as a TE.  Hill...not so much.

Brian Quick is a lot better than Hill is.

He certainly might be, but he has less production on a team that throws plenty more and did not have much at the position. He was also  picked a decent amount higher.  I'm not saying Hill was a good selection, but the idea that he is some kind of unprecedented bust is a bit out there. 

He certainly might be, but he has less production on a team that throws plenty more and did not have much at the position. He was also picked a decent amount higher. I'm not saying Hill was a good selection, but the idea that he is some kind of unprecedented bust is a bit out there.

Certainly not unprecedented, but alarmingly bad drafting.

He certainly might be, but he has less production on a team that throws plenty more and did not have much at the position. He was also  picked a decent amount higher.  I'm not saying Hill was a good selection, but the idea that he is some kind of unprecedented bust is a bit out there.

I don't think he's an unprecedented bust. Not close to unprecedented, even just at his own position.

Brian Quick is a lot better than Hill is.

Too bad the Jets passed on him...oh wait. 

No but serioulsy, I'm surprised at how much stock you're putting into the preseason.  You've been following the league for a long time, you should know that nothing you see during these 4 games means a damn thing as it relates to the season.

Brian Quick has been ******* terrible and had 1 ok preseason game and now he's good?  Come'on man.

Too bad the Jets passed on him...oh wait.

No but serioulsy, I'm surprised at how much stock you're putting into the preseason. You've been following the league for a long time, you should know that nothing you see during these 4 games means a damn thing as it relates to the season.

Brian Quick has been ******* terrible and had 1 ok preseason game and now he's good? Come'on man.

Not saying Quick is good, but he's earned his spot as he's starting this year.

Hill just isn't an NFL caliber WR.

Obviously Decker is the 1

Kerley is the 2 and Nelson is the 3 (or vice versa) 

Salas has played his t!ts off and deserves to be the 4. Salim is the KR punt gunner and the 5. 

The problem I have is Jalen Saunders. This kid is having seizures and they don't know what's causing it or when it will go away.  He won't drive a car but he can play pro football? That's shady as hell. 

The fact they drafted him in the 4th round shouldn't guarantee him a roster spot. IR the kid, figure out what's wrong with his brain, and treat it. Whatever it is, maybe he will need the time to get better.

let Kerley (fair catch) return punts and maybe there's a spot for Hill/Gates (or whoever the next best healthy player is) 

Eh. Not the pick. That is just a bad pick. It is only alarmingly bad when taken in context with the other big misses (Gholston, Ducasse) and the targeted drafting that reduces picks to the point of requiring sniper type accuracy.

This is a great point.

agree, I was wrong on him, thought physical attributes could be molded somewhat. I wrong :(

It is not just that he drops balls. He cannot catch balls above his head, he runs routes badly, and does not use his body to keep the DB away from the ball. It is like watching Pop Warner.

I am not on board with declaring Hill a bust at this point.

There are a ton of stories in the NFL of WRs being poor or mediocre in the first two seasons and then bursting out in season 3.

Yes, and that's certainly what I was hoping for this year. But if it was going to happen, I would've expected to see a jump in his performance in the preseason, and we just haven't.

Yes, and that's certainly what I was hoping for this year. But if it was going to happen, I would've expected to see a jump in his performance in the preseason, and we just haven't.

Not necessarily. I do not see him been targeted as many times. Heck in the first pre season game Geno was hardly getting any time to get set and throw the ball. Not sure if even one pass went his way. At  the end of the day you cannot tell everything from pre-season games.

It would have been interesting to see where Hill was into Season 3. He seemed to have the best training camp of all three he has had and letting him go will be a big blunder all things considered.

Archived