Jets to try to unload Stephen Hill -- Cimini/Schefter Reports (merged)

Gastineau Lives

Thats why I dont see him getting cut.

Jackson was the definition of a bust...but its also much harder making at the time, the best offense ever, compared to making the Jets roster.

Jackson couldn't get another job in the NFL after NE cut him so his ability to make the "best offense ever" is irrelevant.

All I'm saying is Rex can't let his loyalty stand in the way of getting rid of Hill.  I don't give a rats ass about Hills measurables.  Ford could fly and they had no problem showing him the door.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if they intend to carry 6 WR's on the active roster I imagine he'd have a spot.  But if Nelson, Salas, and Hill are competing for 2 spots, and Hill has already been rumored to be on the trade block, I don't think it would be too surprising to see him go.

True...and thats the way it should be but I got weird feeling they're all making the team.

Jackson couldn't get another job in the NFL after NE cut him so his ability to make the "best offense ever" is irrelevant.

All I'm saying is Rex can't let his loyalty stand in the way of getting rid of Hill. I don't give a rats ass about Hills measurables. Ford could fly and they had no problem showing him the door.

Technically, he got on with Denver but didnt stick. Either way, it's still much easier cutting bait with a first round WR when you have the best offense in the league as opposed to the worst.

And you think it's Rex's loyalty that is keeping Hill around? The guy who didn't want him to begin with. Haha

Technically, he got on with Denver but didnt stick. Either way, it's still much easier cutting bait with a first round WR when you have the best offense in the league as opposed to the worst.

And you think it's Rex's loyalty that is keeping Hill around? The guy who didn't want him to begin with. Haha

Yes I think loyalty is what motivates a lot of his decisions.  It doesn't matter if he wanted him originally..  once he's in, he's one of them.  For example no one here really likes you but if a newbie came in and trashed you many would come to your defense.

Yes I think loyalty is what motivates a lot of his decisions. It doesn't matter if he wanted him originally.. once he's in, he's one of them. For example no one here really likes you but if a newbie came in and trashed you many would come to your defense.

Nope. No. Nope. No.

Yes I think loyalty is what motivates a lot of his decisions.  It doesn't matter if he wanted him originally..  once he's in, he's one of them.  For example no one here really likes you but if a newbie came in and trashed you many would come to your defense.

I'd agree if this was defense but I dont think Rex has any loyality for WR who barely can stay on the field and when he is, isnt very good.  Plus, I dont think this is Rex's decision alone.  I'm sure Idzick and Marty are very involved.

And you're right, nobody likes me, they all love me.

Is Stephen Hill on his way out of Gotham?

After ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that the New York Jets attempted to shop the underwhelming receiver over the summer without any luck, coach Rex Ryan on Tuesday played dumb.

"First I've heard of it," Ryan told reporters, per ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini.

Pressed further, Ryan said, "Well, I didn't try to trade him," before acknowledging that the team is always willing to listen.

Shopping Hill won't earn the Jets much in return (a bag of spoons feels appropriate) but New York could potentially wrestle away a low draft pick from a wideout-desperate club. The Jets are more likely to seek cornerback help, considering Gang Green's current wasteland at the position.

Teams aren't lining up for a drop-prone pass-catcher who essentially was demoted down the stretch in 2013 before landing on injured reserve with a knee injury.

Hill -- the team's second-round pick in 2012 -- was a ghost in New York's preseason dress rehearsal against the Giants and has just two catches all August. The Jets aren't thrilled with Hill's development, and the rest of the league knows it. It's very possible he'll be available for free by next week.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000383776/article/new-york-jets-looking-to-shop-stephen-hill

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/504235801098862592

I think the Jets target Hill at least six times this week and see if he can make some plays.  If he can't beat up on guys who are unlikely to be in the league next week, then I can see them letting him go.

I think the Jets target Hill at least six times this week and see if he can make some plays.  If he can't beat up on guys who are unlikely to be in the league next week, then I can see them letting him go.

They're entering 3 years of seeing him. His last preseason game against back-ups is not deciding his fate at this point.

I would normally agree with that, but that first slant last week looked like a force job and made me wonder if they were intentionally targeting him.  

I dunno, maybe you are right, but I don't see what there is to gain by force feeding him against 2nd-3rd string players. There's really not much valuable information you can get there.

They're entering 3 years of seeing him. His last preseason game against back-ups is not deciding his fate at this point.

I think if it were that simple, he'd be gone already.  I'd venture to guess most people would agree that he was expected to struggle a little bit for those first two years and he did, both with production and health.  This is year three though.  He's healthy, his QB is playing well, and he's on the bubble.  I think even he knows he's in danger of getting cut.  If he can't open some eyes and make some plays with his livlihood on the line against back-ups, I can see them cutting him loose.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared that he'll develop elsewhere, but the Jets CS sees him more than we do.  So no matter how optomisitic I want to remain about a guy with his physical ability, I kinda get it if they let him go.  I'd love to see him start paying dividends though.

I think if it were that simple, he'd be gone already.  I'd venture to guess most people would agree that he was expected to struggle a little bit for those first two years and he did, both with production and health.  This is year three though.  He's healthy, his QB is playing well, and he's on the bubble.  I think even he knows he's in danger of getting cut.  If he can't open some eyes and make some plays with his livlihood on the line against back-ups, I can see them cutting him loose.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared that he'll develop elsewhere, but the Jets CS sees him more than we do.  So no matter how optomisitic I want to remain about a guy with his physical ability, I kinda get it if they let him go.  I'd love to see him start paying dividends though.

And this is why it's such a gamble, with a high failure-rate, to take such developmental projects with such high picks, even if it does occasionally work out (e.g. JPP). Worse still, Tannenbaum had just taken a developmental 2nd round bust in 2010 (Ducasse). 

There always have been, and always will be, busts in the first couple of rounds, even when they weren't developmental-type picks. It happens to the best-drafting teams, even if they're overlooked or not harped-on years later because we simply don't follow them as closely as the Jets. But you're doubling up on the bust potential when you first need to teach the guy to play the position and only THEN see if he's good enough to compete against the best pros around. 

Archived