Sean Gilbert running for NFLPA head - this cannot be allowed to happen.

Klecko73isGod

When you hear that Direct TV is paying the NFL over 1 Billion dollars a year for the next 5 years for Sunday Ticket and with all the other revenue that is coming into the owners coffers the players absolutely deserve to be paid ALOT more than what they are getting today. Heck they could double the current salary cap and probably still make millions if not billions of dollars.

There are some points in there that will never go through. The free agency after three years and three year rookie contracts will never happen.

I would be in favor of less pre season games but not more regular season games.

I don't think his plan is horrible. There are some points though that will never go through.

I could see an argument for some increased pay around the NFL (targeted for the lower level guys, considering the stars are already making obscene amounts), but a guy like Gilbert isn't going to do much to help there.  He can talk big all he likes, but do you think the owners are really going to want to budge even a bit if they are dealing with the one man who has shown the least amount of interest in honoring NFL contracts that the league has ever seen?  An NFLPA head who's going to actively encourage players to hold out is going to be told where he can go shove it the second he tries to play tough.  Not to mention, some of the items listed there are so laughably stupid I can't believe anyone is dumb enough to think there's a chance of them happening.

If he were to get the job, I think the real question would simply be which would come first: a strike or a lockout.

wake me up when the players agree to share in the risk as partners as well as the reward

Lol. Wake me up when the owners are risking their livelihoods everyday in training camp or on Sundays.

If I was a player, I'd be wearing an Uncle Sean for Chief button. I'd know this guy was going to go to war for me.

He wants to pay practice squad guys 20 grand a week.

The problem is that franchises rely on the salaries of mid-rounders to stay under the cap and relatively talented at the same time. Increase the minimum and the math doesn't work for that anymore, therefore he's essentially asking the owners to agree to bump up the cap big-time. Meaning that he may as well be requesting that the players be allowed to take a mid-season trip to search for Cthulhu while he's at it. Because that is a horrible starting point.

Lol. Wake me up when the owners are risking their livelihoods everyday in training camp or on Sundays.

If I was a player, I'd be wearing an Uncle Sean for Chief button. I'd know this guy was going to go to war for me.

todays players had nothing top do with starting the league, or putting money on the line or building stadiums.  they understand the risk going in.  it's tackle football

don't like it ? get a real job

ask NHL players about war chestas and going to war. simple reality is the players need the NFL, the owners don't.  they made their billions in other area's.  take the NFL away from antonio cromartie, what is he doing for a living ?

The signed or will sign a DirecTv deal this week that gives every owner an extra $15 million a year on top of the pile they already get.The NFL could hold the games in a studio, not selling a single ticket, and still be very profitable. The salary ca is sodl as some kind of competitive equlaizer But it now is only a drag on salaries. The incomes among and between the teams are mostly close to equal. This is not 1955. If Peyton Manning can become an ad icon playing in small markets, the small /big market competitive advantage in an internet age is meaningless. You can compete and make piles of money anywhere.

The only way 18 games makes sense is if you increase active rosters or require players to sit a game or 2. Andwhile there would rises in  salary the NFLPA a sensible vesting pension plan (vest earlier, count PS time in whole or in part) and increase postcareer medical beneifts. 

Smith is an a-hole. At least Gilbert has a paln other than running his mouth.

The Gilbert/Goodell battle will be for a dying empire

http://deadspin.com/football-player-who-was-convinced-he-had-cte-found-to-h-1626851174

it is a huge amount of money now but parents aren't letting their kids play ball as much as they used to 

this game turns heads into mush 

teams at the high school level will become uninsurable 

the league will exist but end up getting more foreigners and more MMA types with nothing to lose 

It's not crazy to predict that the directv contract gravy train is at a peak 

todays players had nothing top do with starting the league, or putting money on the line or building stadiums.  they understand the risk going in.  it's tackle football

don't like it ? get a real job

ask NHL players about war chestas and going to war. simple reality is the players need the NFL, the owners don't.  they made their billions in other area's.  take the NFL away from antonio cromartie, what is he doing for a living ?

Bold: Can't really get more meatheaded than that.

Italics: Lol 

Bold: Can't really get more meatheaded than that.

Italics: Lol 

players are expendable pieces of meat.  DI college football is entertaining enough from a skill level standpoint.  I follow the logo, not the player.  If anything the players should be giving 20% of their salary to the players that came before them

If they try to do something stupid, the owners will just wait them out and they will cave like the NHL did.  simple fact is most players are near the minimum salary, not the $10 million line, so they can't go a year with no pay (without caving)

I think the players have no real leverage at all. 

players are expendable pieces of meat.  DI college football is entertaining enough from a skill level standpoint.  I follow the logo, not the player.  If anything the players should be giving 20% of their salary to the players that came before them

If they try to do something stupid, the owners will just wait them out and they will cave like the NHL did.  simple fact is most players are near the minimum salary, not the $10 million line, so they can't go a year with no pay (without caving)

I think the players have no real leverage at all. 

Let's celebrate! Does that mean our guys get to keep their money!?!?! Can we build them another stadium as a reward!?!?!

So long as the owners want an NFL, and they do, there is a hint of leverage. The owners COULD just disband the league because the players want a few extra dollars, but that would be retarded. 

When I started it I was just concerned with avoiding strikes and lockouts because I loves me the football. 

Now this thread gives me sad. 

Last time there was a lockout the league and owners came back more powerful than ever. It's in our best interest! lol

When I started it I was just concerned with avoiding strikes and lockouts because I loves me the football. 

Now this thread gives me sad. 

When he waxes philosophical on labor theory, I like to picture Gato sitting at his computer in a bow tie and a short-sleeve button-down, reading a copy of Wealth of Nations upside down.

The Gilbert/Goodell battle will be for a dying empire

http://deadspin.com/football-player-who-was-convinced-he-had-cte-found-to-h-1626851174

it is a huge amount of money now but parents aren't letting their kids play ball as much as they used to 

this game turns heads into mush 

teams at the high school level will become uninsurable 

the league will exist but end up getting more foreigners and more MMA types with nothing to lose 

It's not crazy to predict that the directv contract gravy train is at a peak 

There are football factories throughout NYC and it's suburbs that have 40 boys for freshmen teams, and then 60 for both JV and varsity. It's antectodal,but there are a lot of powerhouse football schookls, private, Catholic, public, that have a lot of boys playing football, more than any other sport, may be more than the rest combined. And I say that as a parent with a son playing JV/vaistty, so I'll grant you my view is skewed. Still keep in mind the NY mtro area is not a hotbed for national football talent. Most of these boys are not playing any higher level than this. And can say that from a parent's perspective my son loves it and it's a good thing. There is not a lot of idle time when practices are every school day, games  on most fall Saturdays and a good chunk of the summer. And it goes right up until lax starts. And even then the weightlifting required keeps him busy. .   A friend of mine is now the principal of a surban Catholic school that is nationally ranked and was featured on ESPN twice last season fro games far away  and on MSG several times. Not sure if that is a good idea, but does tell you HS football; is still pretty strong.

Archived