ESPN reports Pats have traded Logan Mankins to Tampa Bay

Wilkshake69

Really?

Mankins was not the sole reason of the 40 sacks.  Connelly was a bit of a turnstile himself.  The right guard was equally bad as well.

I saw too many times last year where the rusher came in unblocked.

Mankins would still be a good player, but he was not even very good last year.  And for his cap hit, I have no problems with him being traded.

Of course you don't. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course you don't. 

Where am I wrong?

Is he the second best guard?  No, but he is getting paid as if he is.

The Patriots gained 4 million in cap space this year with the trade, acquired a potential Hernandez replacement, gained a 4th round pick and extricated themselves from the remaining 19.75 million of his contract.  . 

How is this bad?

How is this bad?

Pats fans focus solely on the pass protection aspect of Mankins' game. And yes for arguments sake, if that's all he did, maybe Jordan Devey would be fine.  I think his pass protection is actually pretty decent but whatever.

His run blocking is what you are going to miss. He's a masher in short yardage. 

Of course Tommy isn't pleased

According to Bleacher Report's Jason Cole (via PFT), Tom Brady "had a very emotional reaction" when he learned of the Mankins deal. Cole says that Brady "was not happy" and "was very upset about this trade."

Brady's been down this road before, of course. He's seen his receivers stripped away in the name of cutting costs, and again, it's emerged that Mankins was shipped out of town over his refusal to take a pay cut. Mankins has three years left on his deal, with cap hits of $10.5M, $11M, and $7M.

http://deadspin.com/report-tom-brady-very-upset-by-logan-mankins-trade-1627863015

Brady reportedly 'very upset' with Patriots trading Mankins

Loading... Share No Thanks Must Read?Thank YouYes     8

Fox Sports,

4 hours ago

The Patriots trading Logan Mankins reportedly didn't sit well with Tom Brady.

New England's star quarterback was "very upset" when he heard that the Patriots dealt the standout offensive lineman to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to Bleacher Report. The Patriots received tight end Tim Wright and an undisclosed draft pick for the six-time Pro Bowl guard.

The Patriots reportedly asked Mankins to restructure his deal, giving back some of the money he was scheduled to earn. But Mankins balked at the idea of a pay cut, according to reports, which might have led to the stunning trade.

Brady has seen many of his offensive weapons leave either by trade or in free agency over the years, including Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Deion Branch.

Mankins was a first-round draft pick of the Patriots in 2005 and has been selected for the Pro Bowl each of the past five seasons. He appeared in two Super Bowls and started all 130 regular season games and 17 postseason games he's played in during a nine-year stay with New England.

"It's very sad. He's been here for a long time," Patriots cornerback Darrelle Revis said.

"I've only been here for a couple of months, but Mank is known around the league as being one of the best offensive linemen in the game," the cornerback added. "He's proven that, and he's done it for a long time."

© 2014 Fox Sports Interactive Media, LLC. All rights reserved.

The Patriots reportedly asked Mankins to restructure his deal, giving back some of the money he was scheduled to earn. But Mankins balked at the idea of a pay cut, according to reports, which might have led to the stunning trade. 

why can't this guy just shut up and honor the contract he signed!? 

oh... wait... nevermind. I hear it now. 

why can't this guy just shut up and honor the contract he signed!? 

oh... wait... nevermind. I hear it now. 

Like when he held out for half a season in 2010? 

Mankins is the first to admit it is a business.  He had a right to hold-out.  The Patriots had a right to ask for a pay-cut as his performance was not up to his salary.  he also had a right to say no.  It is what it is.

The Patriots had a right to ask for a pay-cut as his performance was not up to his salary.   

you believe that because you are a fan and you want to believe it. It's not really a true statement.

probable Hall of Fame players cost money.  sh*tty players are cheap.

First off, I loved Mankins as a Patriot. Tough as nails and came to play every single day.

Unfortunately, for all the well-run, winning organizations in the NFL, it's not about what you did yesterday, it's all about what you will do tomorrow. Both Lawyer Milloy and Richard Seymour were All-Pro when the Pats let them go and they didn't miss a beat.

Revis is a one year rental. Can't see the Pats shelling out big bucks long-term for an aging CB.

And.. there is no position that loses it's shelf life faster than at CB where a player can go from being a top story all summer long to being cut the next season? Once they lose that step it's all over-Revis is right there on the cusp and one more hammy on a sprint route and he'll be Nnambi Asomugha

you believe that because you are a fan and you want to believe it. It's not really a true statement.

probable Hall of Fame players cost money.  sh*tty players are cheap.

And past their prime stars are over paid.

Is he a Top 10 guard in the league?  Maybe.  He is being paid as a top 3 guard.  He is a beast as a run blocker.  If the Patriots were a run heavy team I would say keep him. 

Last year, their pass/run ratio was 58-42.  With Legarret gone and Ridley not trustworthy, I do not see that changing.  They need a better pass blocker. 

Believe me, I liked it better last year when they ran the ball more to set the tone.  While the spread is more exciting to watch, when they have been bounced from the playoffs recently, it is because they were the second toughest team on the field.

• 2 months later...

It's not ______, unless you get caught.

Stupid.

Well, Yeah.

And you probably loved it when Revis was doing it for the Jets.  We could probably find your point of view being that exact opposite when it was Revis grabbing a handful of jersey.

Now, he is doing it for the Patriots "OMG refs can't you see him grabbing the jersey".

Tap the breaks the Patriots are the only ones doing it.  EVERYONE does it.  Every OL/DL hold.  Every DB grabs jersey while Every WR pushes off.

Archived