Dimitri Patterson Suspended For Remainder Of Preseason

Maxman

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And everyone also knows you don't pay QB money to a CB, even if he's the best CB in the game's history.  Let it go, bit.

it's a great thing the Jets have franchise QB money just waiting around for that magic QB to show up

Seriously, nothing makes me happier than the huge amount of open cap space that the Jets currently have. 

Back to Patterson...

I think they know what they're doing with him already. And if things remain status quo I think they're keeping him. If someone suddenly steps up like never before, or if they pick up someone just cut from another team, that would/could change things.

More likely they know - or think they know - what he is and what he isn't. But between now & Saturday they want to learn about other players and don't need his distraction around the guys (or coaches) during these last few days.  

And everyone also knows you don't pay QB money to a CB, even if he's the best CB in the game's history.  Let it go, bit.

1 - the salary cap continues to go up.   Franchise QB money is now 18-20M/yr.  

2 - the defending super bowl champions just gave a CB $16M/yr, the Pats (another super bowl champion) just signed Revis so I have no idea what the hell you are talking about here.  

Yawn. Go start another Revis thread and cry about it.

it's only a Revis issue because he was available in the offseason.    It's more an issue of neglect to a pretty key position - especially in a pass oriented league.  

this reminds me of Adrien Clarke, Adrian Jones, and Stephen Hunter.    There was a poor plan to begin with and then surprise when it doesn't work out.  At best, Patterson should be competing with Wilson as the slot CB.  

I would have gladly taken Revis for 13M, Davis for 10M, or DRC for 8M.   To bit's point, instead we have 21M of unused cap space and 2 huge holes in the secondary.  

Don't mind bit, he's still desperately trying to come up with excuses to justify the fact that his months of arguments about Revis' contracts before he was traded were all ultimately proven to be wrong.  The entire basis for his arguments were his insistence that Revis would in no way be looking for the amount of money he was reported to be asking for (and ultimately received), and that no team would pay that much.  Not to mention it also relies on a completely unsupported claim that, despite spending a grand total of 30 minutes on the FA market, Revis would have accepted the same contract from the Jets.  That's not to mention the outright absurdity that, even if the Jets wanted him, in a league with 32 teams all after the same group of players, they somehow have complete control over getting whoever they want at any time.

1 - the salary cap continues to go up.   Franchise QB money is now 18-20M/yr.  

2 - the defending super bowl champions just gave a CB $16M/yr, the Pats (another super bowl champion) just signed Revis so I have no idea what the hell you are talking about here.  

I think it's fair to say that a decade removed from their last championship is long enough to no longer be dubbing the Pats' moves as those of a Super Bowl champion.  After all, I'm fairly certain no one was still referring to the Bucs as Super Bowl champions 2 years ago.

it's only a Revis issue because he was available in the offseason.    It's more an issue of neglect to a pretty key position - especially in a pass oriented league.  

this reminds me of Adrien Clarke, Adrian Jones, and Stephen Hunter.    There was a poor plan to begin with and then surprise when it doesn't work out.  At best, Patterson should be competing with Wilson as the slot CB.  

I would have gladly taken Revis for 13M, Davis for 10M, or DRC for 8M.   To bit's point, instead we have 21M of unused cap space and 2 huge holes in the secondary.  

Clarke was far worse. They traded Kendall at the end of August for spite, while knowing (assuming that staff knew anything at all) that they had absolutely nothing behind him. 

This is just a different plan gone wrong. First, Patterson is worse than advertised, not as advertised. No one expected him to be Revis-lite but there was good reason to expect him to be noticeably better than he's been. Then compound that with McDougle going down for the season (which I don't accept as predictable being the first-ever known knee injury of his life), and on the same day Milliner going down for a month (give or take). 

Just saying if it was Revis who was here, and sustained an ACL injury (which, medically, is more likely to have happened than McDougle getting the same injury he did), then the only improvement would be psychological. But the team would be no better (there wouldn't have been McDougle and Patterson to fall back on) off.  Actually worse, since Revis would be gobbling up $13M (assuming he would have even come back, which I don't assume either) instead of the $1M or $3M going to Patterson. 

Bit's point is a tired one, and it's the same that he's always had, which is that we should max out the cap every season with the highest-profile names we can. We did that plenty in the past and it didn't get us anywhere. But second-guessing due to so many simultaneous injuries is MMQBing at its finest. 

The cap is not nearly the single-year hard cap it once was.  So while there was another $21M max we could have spent this year, it is also another $21M we can still use in the future. Are we Revis away from a superbowl in 2014? If you believe you are, as the Pats did, then maybe you do throw that money to rent him for a season. If you're still rebuilding, then $12M on a one-year patch is wasted (not to mention potentially suppressing a future starter's playing time). We attempted to sign an 8-figure/year CB in March. In the end Davis was using us to drive up his price to bring back to the Colts who it seems said they'd one-up his top offer whatever that was. The guy re-signed with his old team he never wanted to leave in the first place. But there's no way to know what's in the guy's head at the time, unless he (or his agent) explicitly states it. 

DRC, from the way things went, it seems he was willing to take on if the team could get out of the deal quickly if his future career mirrored his past. No GM likes being saddled by bad contracts made in haste or panic.  Could he or should he have bitten on this? Well if one knew the top 3 CBs we had were all going to get hurt at the same time before the season is even underway AND knew these others wouldn't, then sure. But that's not the choice. 

I don't start threads, I hijack them 

as for all you high hopers...  just wait until you see the Jets vs Revis. 

they traded him out of the conference for a reason. 

Yeah, because no one other than Tampa made an offer for him. 

Making an offer - even a competitive one - doesn't mean he signs here when he wants to sign elsewhere. Just like with Davis. He clearly had it in his mind to return to Indy if the money was the same or similar. Of course, if we didn't make the offer we did then the complaint would be the same: that if we'd only made an offer he would have signed here instead of there. But complaining about it doesn't make it so.

Revis wanted to go to New England. The deal was written already. What was asked was not if the Jets were interested, but rather if the Jets would be interested in getting into a bidding war with New England on a deal that is already in place. Knowing full-well the only way to guarantee not looking like losers would be to be willing to go up to $14-16M for Revis to make sure we don't lose that (very public) bidding war. All the while knowing we - unlike New England - were nowhere near a CB away from a realistic SB championship. 

A team with such a point-differential (as was discussed at large) needs long-term solutions not a one-year rental at one position. It is an imaginary fiction of yours that Revis could have been locked up long-term. New England wasn't able to lock him up long-term either. No one can, unless (like Tampa) you're willing to pony up 1/8 of the team's total spending limit per season on one CB.

Then compound that with McDougle going down for the season (which I don't accept as predictable being the first-ever known knee injury of his life),  

NO McDougle's knee injury was not predictable. But this player who has played, what, 6 games in the last 2 years, not being available or reliable for this season was entirely predictable.

The fact that it was a shoulder last year and a knee this year doesn't supercede the larger point that he's an injury prone player. If you draft guys who miss significant time in college, don't be surprised when they get hurt in the Pros.

See Bradford, Sam. 

NO McDougle's knee injury was not predictable. But this player who has played, what, 6 games in the last 2 years, not being available or reliable for this season was entirely predictable.

The fact that it was a shoulder last year and a knee this year doesn't supercede the larger point that he's an injury prone player. If you draft guys who miss significant time in college, don't be surprised when they get hurt in the Pros.

See Bradford, Sam. 

If he injured his shoulder, then you'd have a point. He injured his ACL, which was in better shape and less likely to go bye-bye than Revis's ACL, so you don't.

just wait fellow Jets fans,

until you get to see Revis in Red white and blue 2x a year.

That will be entertainment. I can throw up in my mouth a little just thinking about it. 

hey who knows maybe 3x if the jets get the privilege of playing wild card football. 

the Jets had the greatest cornerback in the game. 

Now they have no cornerbacks at all. 

And most of the fans on message boards seem to think these are unrelated statements. 

The CB situation is very easy to solve, in hindsight. Don't let your amazingly awesome player get away. Pay the man his money. 

To be clear I don't blame Idzik even tho everyone knew McDougle couldn't stay healthy and Patterson is a bum

I blame Woody who for whatever reason took the Revis situation very, very, personal. 

godfather.gif

but hey at least they have cap space. Thank F--k for that. 

Seems like only yesterday Revis was hoisting the Lombardi for the NYJ

If he injured his shoulder, then you'd have a point. He injured his ACL, which was in better shape and less likely to go bye-bye than Revis's ACL, so you don't.

He had three different injuries in college that forced him to miss games. None were related. But by the time the Jets after him in the third round, it was clear that he was an injury prone player. Call it snake bit, or whatever you like, the guy has a history of getting hurt. Hurting something new this year shouldn't be a surprise.

Why is everyone saying McDougle is injury prone?  He had one injury that took him out for the year.  Up to that point, he started every game of his college career.  That's not an injury prone player.

I gave the example the other day, Dominique Easley from the Gators tore his ACL twice in college and went out for the year.  The Pats took him first round.  He's an example of taking an injury prone player.  Not a guy who's been injured once.

Adrian Peterson went out with a knee injury in college.  Happened to him again in the pro's.  Is he injury prone?

Why is everyone saying McDougle is injury prone? He had one injury that took him out for the year. Up to that point, he started every game of his college career. That's not an injury prone player.

I gave the example the other day, Dominique Easley from the Gators tore his ACL twice in college and went out for the year. The Pats took him first round. He's an example of taking an injury prone player. Not a guy who's been injured once.

Adrian Peterson went out with a knee injury in college. Happened to him again in the pro's. Is he injury prone?

Patterson sure is though. I think in general than fan base has the right to be a little ticked at the CB situation considering the flexibility the team had. McDougle going down was unfortunate...but the Patterson signing...there's no defending that.

Do you guys dislike the Decker signing?

A team with such a point-differential (as was discussed at large) needs long-term solutions not a one-year rental at one position. It is an imaginary fiction of yours that Revis could have been locked up long-term. New England wasn't able to lock him up long-term either. No one can, unless (like Tampa) you're willing to pony up 1/8 of the team's total spending limit per season on one CB.

DRC, from the way things went, it seems he was willing to take on if the team could get out of the deal quickly if his future career mirrored his past. No GM likes being saddled by bad contracts made in haste or panic.  Could he or should he have bitten on this? Well if one knew the top 3 CBs we had were all going to get hurt at the same time before the season is even underway AND knew these others wouldn't, then sure. But that's not the choice. 

#1 - I'm not advocating maxing out the cap every year, although there is nothing wrong with that approach as long as it's a pay as you go approach and you aren't creating a ton of dead money.   The 21M of unused cap space is going us no good.   Even revis at 16M / yr with no signing bonus would have worked. 

#2 - I don't see how DRC at 3 yrs for $24M saddles kills the cap.  Look at what he took - 3/24 probably gets done.  

#3 - Patterson should have been brought in to compete with Wilson at nickel.  Wilson is really a bad NFL football player.   McDougal adds depth and more competition but going into the season with Patterson penciled in as the starter is very close to the Clarke / Jones / Hunter.   The dude has averaged 5 games / yr.

Why is everyone saying McDougle is injury prone?  He had one injury that took him out for the year.  Up to that point, he started every game of his college career.  That's not an injury prone player. 

he also broke his hand in high school and missed his entire junior season. his injury at Maryland was his second season ending injury in six years. HIs ACL with the Jets makes it 3 in 7.

Was anyone shocked Gronk tore his acl last year? Injury prone players get hurt.

No, but that's because of the rule changes that favor hitting receivers in the legs.  You're suggesting that because Gronk has had previous surgeries to his back, arm and shoulder he's somehow more at risk for injuring his knee, which I can't get behind.  He catches 80+ balls a year in the most physically demanding sport in the world, am I ever surprised someone like him gets hurt? Not at all.  Just like Calvin Johnson getting his knee drained after every game, doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

You guys suggesting that McDougle and others are somehow more "injury prone" is to suggest that they have something inherently flawed with their physical makeup: low bone-density, low tensile strength on their ligaments etc.  It's just a rough f*cking sport and some guys are unlucky. 

No, but that's because of the rule changes that favor hitting receivers in the legs. You're suggesting that because Gronk has had previous surgeries to his back, arm and shoulder he's somehow more at risk for injuring his knee, which I can't get behind. He catches 80+ balls a year in the most physically demanding sport in the world, am I ever surprised someone like him gets hurt? Not at all. Just like Calvin Johnson getting his knee drained after every game, doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

You guys suggesting that McDougle and others are somehow more "injury prone" is to suggest that they have something inherently flawed with their physical makeup: low bone-density, low tensile strength on their ligaments etc. It's just a rough f*cking sport and some guys are unlucky.

Staying healthy is a skill.

Patterson sure is though. I think in general than fan base has the right to be a little ticked at the CB situation considering the flexibility the team had. McDougle going down was unfortunate...but the Patterson signing...there's no defending that.

Do you guys dislike the Decker signing?

Agreed.  Patterson was a risky selection.  Reminds me of the Landry signing and he was fine for a year.  I guess they saw something worth taking a flier on assuming he stayed healthy.  He's proven he can play when he's on the field, a couple of plays in the first preseason game doesnt change that, IMO.

I love the Decker signing, why?

he also broke his hand in high school and missed his entire junior season. his injury at Maryland was his second season ending injury in six years. HIs ACL with the Jets makes it 3 in 7.

So he missed 1 year of High School, 1 year of college but both schools got 3 great years from him. So really its 3 of 9...but I like what you did there for your case.  Wonder if he ever missed a year in Pop-Warner....cuz then it could be like 3 in 15 years.

Only ask about Decker because we shelled out decent coin for him. Would have rather spent on a CB who would have played here than a backup QB.

Then wouldn't you be complaining about our WR situation being complete dogsh*t (which it would be) and saying that we went into the season with all our eggs in the Geno basket hoping he'd succeed when he showed nothing but inconsistency the previous year? Decker has had reasonable success and is in or around the prime of his career. Besides we barely have NFL-caliber receivers with him on the roster as it is. 

He had three different injuries in college that forced him to miss games. None were related. But by the time the Jets after him in the third round, it was clear that he was an injury prone player. Call it snake bit, or whatever you like, the guy has a history of getting hurt. Hurting something new this year shouldn't be a surprise.

Tweaking a hammy is a type of injury that a guy gets if he's just a little more injury prone. An ACL tear can happen to anyone at any time.

Again, from a medical standpoint, 1 month ago Revis was far more likely to tear an ACL than McDougle. 

Archived