Hey, does anybody know whats going on with this JI/Scout thing?

BP

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Scout.com contacted us in April or May, it was before the draft. I met with them in NYC to hear their pitch. They said they wanted to buy JetNation or partner with us, the choice was ours. During the pitch I met with the head of technology in NY, the guy that heads up the publisher program and the VP of Marketing - he was from the UK. They were very complimentary and they have an amazing group of talented people who had clearly done their homework. When I went in there they said they wanted JetNation because it was the best Jets site, they loved our content and the message board.

But when they explained their vision it wasn't anything I was open to even partnering with them on.  It just wasn't for us, their pitch was 100% money related. They asked me to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement so we could talk further and they could make an offer. But I thanked them and said we weren't interested. I didn't need to see an offer to know that this was wrong for us. They use their own forum software and they don't convert old posts, they just leave them as an archive if you want. I had a bunch of other concerns as well. They have a marketing staff of over 40 people and they basically run your Twitter and Facebook for you. The thought of someone potentially tweeting trying to sell a jersey after a tough Jets loss wasn't real appealing either. :)

Good group of people, just not for us.

Phil - thanks for not selling out and giving us a place to come and talk Jets football (and other nonsense).

We are 180 deg away from that place and most of what it's about which is why we're here in the first place.

Thank You 

Phil - thanks for not selling out and giving us a place to come and talk Jets football (and other nonsense).

We are 180 deg away from that place and most of what it's about which is why we're here in the first place.

Thank You 

+10000000000000

My prediction for their cutover/go-live:

database conversion:  ok

user migration:  ok

permissions migration:  ok

import list of reasons to ban people:  stack overflow. segmentation fault. core dump. system halted.  error#344892947294

import list of reasons to ban people:  stack overflow. segmentation fault. core dump. system halted.  error#344892947294

Scout's servers won't be able to handle Sean's ego.

I know you are kidding but there is actually no database conversion. That is what they told me anyway. I posted it earlier but I asked the head of technology and they said they don't have anything in place to convert old data (posts) to the new forum software. Thanks for posting here all these years. Your posts are now gone. Well technically they are in an archive forum, but good luck fishing them out.

They are trying to build a SB Nation kind of thing. You get rewarded for going on other sites in the network.

I'm proud to be a part of the Jets message board that doesnt sell out.

We're like the garage punk rock band who made it big but still only charges $5 for their shows.

So... Fugazi for old school guys like me... Blink 182 for spooge faces like you?

I know you are kidding but there is actually no database conversion. That is what they told me anyway. I posted it earlier but I asked the head of technology and they said they don't have anything in place to convert old data (posts) to the new forum software. Thanks for posting here all these years. Your posts are now gone. Well technically they are in an archive forum, but good luck fishing them out.

They are trying to build a SB Nation kind of thing. You get rewarded for going on other sites in the network.

i hate sb and bleacher report, they use slideshow formats that make u back out of to drive up hits

I want to personally thank you for all the information in this thread. Thank you, Phillip.

I haven't looked at JI in a long long time but I find it hilarious that HE even has rep now too :rl: that was my idea lol I still remember jetcane and garb whining about that :)

Ok stop giving Max all the compliments- he will not be able to fit into the mod's lounge with the big head

This is true. As it stands now, Max and Crusher don't fit in there at the same time.

Longtime JI poster here - 

To tell you the truth - I would spend most of my time in the OT thread - "the Hanger" - some funny sh*t was posted there over the years with a lot of good posters.  But the main football forum has been draggin for quite some time so frankly I come to this site for Football discourse - lot of knowledgeable posters here. 

To tell you the truth - I would spend most of my time in the OT thread - "the Hanger" - some funny sh*t was posted there over the years with a lot of good posters. But the main football forum has been draggin for quite some time so frankly I come to this site for Football discourse - lot of knowledgeable posters here.

Gee I wonder where they got the idea of separating the football forum from off topic, heh. There was no hampur when I was there. All the sh*t was neatly packed into one forum

To tell you the truth - I would spend most of my time in the OT thread - "the Hanger" - some funny sh*t was posted there over the years with a lot of good posters. But the main football forum has been draggin for quite some time so frankly I come to this site for Football discourse - lot of knowledgeable posters here.

Gay

To tell you the truth - I would spend most of my time in the OT thread - "the Hanger" - some funny sh*t was posted there over the years with a lot of good posters.  But the main football forum has been draggin for quite some time so frankly I come to this site for Football discourse - lot of knowledgeable posters here. 

Thanks!

One of the things we would like to do here is bring our Lounge back to life. It used to be the place to be...but now it is more quiet.

Yeah, didn't Sooth say over and over again that it was unnecessary?

Like every other idea he eventually stole from here? Lmao the dude can deny reading this board till he's blue in the face, but it's been documented that he regularly reads this board and pounds his fist on his desk :). If he just ignored this place and came up with original ideas it would be different, but we all know he's incapable of that :) hi Sean :)

Thanks!

One of the things we would like to do here is bring our Lounge back to life. It used to be the place to be...but now it is more quiet.

Bring back ECURB GOB and Alk. And unlock and rebump that "Smizzy grow up " thread lol that is the greatest thread ever

LOL - the number seems to have gone back down after I tweeted that.

Sean has been doing this for 15 plus years. I know I bust his balls a lot, but I have a lot of respect for the site that he built. We just didn't always see eye to eye. That said, I do think he is going to alienate a lot of his long time members with this move.

The $55 price point was probably just enough to not kill anyone, but it will go up. Fox does not give anything away. And he "true fan" nonsense was such crap.

i hate sb and bleacher report, they use slideshow formats that make u back out of to drive up hits

Who ever came up with the slideshow content format needs to be hit in the head with a hard object until he stops breathing forever, It's not on the scale of ISIS beheading innocent people, but it's awful to try to read. 

Archived