Hey, does anybody know whats going on with this JI/Scout thing?

BP

LOL you have to lease your cars? Leases are for people that can't afford monthly payments.

I pay cash for my cars. Always have. Chump.

I pay cash too, but if he likes the German sports cars it is a wise decision to lease.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not 1995 any more, chief.

Leasing BMW's perpetually is more expensive than paying cash, and if you're really smart (raises hand) you take the $50,000 and give it to your investment banker who can let that money make money for you and that payback trumps the cash buy in a big way if the $50 a month means that much to you.

You don't invest in a depreciating asset and very few things depreciate faster than a car.  I wouldn't brag about paying cash for cars if I were you.

SAR I

Theres nothing wrong with paying cash if you plan on keeping the car for 10 years or more. in your case its wise to lease if you want a new beamer every two years.

On the lease vs. buy issue, this about covers it:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/should-you-lease-or-buy-your-car.html

I'm at a loss as to why anyone would feel pride in spending more than required to meet a certain goal, but to each their own. Maybe thats just my cheapskate Scottish blood talking, and to be fair, I do enagage in extravagence myself....just not in my form of personal transportation.

I tend to buy, and drive the asset until such time as the asset warrants replacement. I tend to get 0% financing, which helps in the cost/benefit analysis. And I drive many, MANY miles each year, nullifying any advantage to a lease option. And historicly, I get ~10 year+ out of each car, providing five years of maintenance-only costs to ownership.

Of course, I also drive a reasonable priced low-maintenance and reliable "Mommy Car" as opposed to a high-cost German Luxury Car.

When did SAR hijack the thread that he swore he wouldn't respond in two or three times? You know to talk football.

BTW, in Boca, 3 & 4 series are what poor people buy their kids when they graduate HS. Or the car they let the help drive to do the shopping.

Not true and when I get some time I'll prove it and you'll never do anything but buy certified pre owned again

OK, but I bought my truck 10 years ago and probably wont have to buy another one for like at least another 5 years. But I might buy a corolla 4cylinder for gas purposes and keep the truck. so you get back to me on the info I need :)

When did SAR hijack the thread that he swore he wouldn't respond in two or three times? You know to talk football.

BTW, in Boca, 3 & 4 series are what poor people buy their kids when they graduate HS. Or the car they let the help drive to do the shopping.

That's not only in Boca, a 3 series is for kids. 

As I drove by Olympic Heights this morning stuck between a Bentley and Mercedes SUV, I glanced over into the student parking lot and immediately spotted a blue convertible BMW 3 series....so SAR is apparently a 17 year old living in West Boca. 

As I drove by Olympic Heights this morning stuck between a Bentley and Mercedes SUV, I glanced over into the student parking lot and immediately spotted a blue convertible BMW 3 series....so SAR is apparently a 17 year old living in West Boca.

Lol, you could drive through Boca or Pope HS parking lot and it looks like a BMW dealership lot. No self absorbed person of means would drive a 3 or 4 series to say Mizner Park.

Being 17 would go a long way to explaining his posting "style".

OK, but I bought my truck 10 years ago and probably wont have to buy another one for like at least another 5 years. But I might buy a corolla 4cylinder for gas purposes and keep the truck. so you get back to me on the info I need :)

No...do that then. This is only applicable if you're trying to keep up with the Joneses. People like you don't give guys like me reasons to work. Stay responsible it's the best plan you could have.

Spent 3 years down there. Lot of truth to this.

It's not 1995 any more, chief.

Leasing BMW's perpetually is more expensive than paying cash, and if you're really smart (raises hand) you take the $50,000 and give it to your investment banker who can let that money make money for you and that payback trumps the cash buy in a big way if the $50 a month means that much to you.

You don't invest in a depreciating asset and very few things depreciate faster than a car.  I wouldn't brag about paying cash for cars if I were you.

SAR I

It's not 1995 anymore? Then why do you talk about having a BMW as though there is some sort of exclusivity to it? 

On the lease vs. buy issue, this about covers it:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/should-you-lease-or-buy-your-car.html

I'm at a loss as to why anyone would feel pride in spending more than required to meet a certain goal, but to each their own. Maybe thats just my cheapskate Scottish blood talking, and to be fair, I do enagage in extravagence myself....just not in my form of personal transportation.

I tend to buy, and drive the asset until such time as the asset warrants replacement. I tend to get 0% financing, which helps in the cost/benefit analysis. And I drive many, MANY miles each year, nullifying any advantage to a lease option. And historicly, I get ~10 year+ out of each car, providing five years of maintenance-only costs to ownership.

Of course, I also drive a reasonable priced low-maintenance and reliable "Mommy Car" as opposed to a high-cost German Luxury Car.

SAR has been talking about BMW's for years. I guarantee he's never owned one. Or lease one.

I had one back when I posted on JI. It was a nice car, but I don't like driving cars. I like my truck, frankly. I like getting off the road, not driving along hoping someone looks at me in my vehicle. 

I know full well that SAR is just trolling with his schtick, but for a second to think about the persona that he's trying to represent — that type of person is laughably empty to me.

The regular models, I'd agree with. And I'm not a car guy at all and actually hate driving, but I do get a little antsy in my pantsy when I see a M6.

We aren't talking about the truly exclusive cars here though. We are talking about the $50k price point convertible mid-life crisis BMW class. 

Anyone can get one. My ******* sh*tbag uncle leases an Audi in the same pricepoint, he's an excon that works for town park crew doing clean up. Look how impressed I am.

We aren't talking about the truly exclusive cars here though. We are talking about the $50k price point convertible mid-life crisis BMW class. 

Anyone can get one. My ******* sh*tbag uncle leases an Audi in the same pricepoint, he's an excon that works for town park crew doing clean up. Look how impressed I am.

You know what's even better? Not owning a car and getting to spend all that extra money on better stuff. Like blackjack and hookers.

Since the thread is effectively hijacked by BMWs and blow...

I have been driving a 5-series for pretty much the last 15 years (leased two, bought last one).  Love it.  Perfect car for me...good head and legroom, drives wonderfully, just enough of everything.  My wife decided she wanted in and we leased her a new X5 just this week.  Let's just say I'm getting a little extra gratitude (or maybe it's sympathy...never quite sure).  She's also a fan.

I really don't give a crap whether 17-year-olds are driving them in Florida.  It's a good car for me.

Now having said all that, for everyone griping about SAR, he hasn't posted in pages.  He likes to light the match, step back and watch a thread burn sometimes perhaps but who's really at fault? :)

I have been driving a 5-series for pretty much the last 15 years (leased two, bought last one).  Love it.  Perfect car for me...good head and legroom, drives wonderfully, just enough of everything.  My wife decided she wanted in and we leased her a new X5 just this week.  Let's just say I'm getting a little extra gratitude (or maybe it's sympathy...never quite sure).  She's also a fan.

I really don't give a crap whether 17-year-olds are driving them in Florida.  It's a good car for me.

Now having said all that, for everyone griping about SAR, he hasn't posted in pages.  He likes to light the match, step back and watch a thread burn sometimes perhaps but who's really at fault? :)

agree, drive what u like, who gives a s**t what others say. I like my Ford Pickup Truck and my wife likes her BMW.. happy = happy ;)

Now having said all that, for everyone griping about SAR, he hasn't posted in pages. He likes to light the match, step back and watch a thread burn sometimes perhaps but who's really at fault? :)

Lol well said it's like they miss him :)

If the conversation wasn't interesting or funny people wouldn't post.  Who cares who said BMW first..  if it morphs into pages of dialogue between others so be it. 

Archived