Hey, does anybody know whats going on with this JI/Scout thing?

BP

Juice has to be worth the squeeze. How many posters do you think Max would you actually lose if people lost their rep on a merger like this? Might lose a few, but I doubt enough to justify that one.

It's really not that expensive, my company just did a message board conversion and choose to import all the data. There is also SEO considerations.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RD was funny

Fish is a great poster.

32 was one of my all-time favorites because everything he posted went over 90% of of the board.

Free is one of the biggest D-bags going.

The dude from Florida must be DWC.

PaulieC just graduated from college at age 35 with a Liberal Arts degree (2.1 GPA) and still lives with his mom and dad.

Glad your back too. I voted free tex during the mod vote and man-o-rama.

So wait max......

Your telling me you did not sign the non disclosure and even listen to their offer? Why?

Also, how much do you think they would pay to buy ji outright?

Multiples are high on ad revenue, they get a lot of posts and I'm sure it wasn't monetized as well as it could've been.

:censored2: 

I had to lol at people complaining because scout.com is going to censor them. I was banned by that assclown buzzsaw from that sh*thole site because I said laveranues coles was acting like a pussy. after the second exodus I was contacted their infamous mentally unstable poster turned mod ( i'll let you guess who that was ) offering to unban me. I told him to shove it up his ass. that place sucked with their censorship bvack then, now its really going to suck. lmao. hey max, thanks for giving me a place where I can come and call laveranues coles a pussy!!

:-D

It's really not that expensive, my company just did a message board conversion and choose to import all the data. There is also SEO considerations.

Yes yes and yes. The SEO considerations blew my mind. Like they were indifferent if we lost 2.5 million posts. You can put them as an archive as you want.  Google kind of freaks out when you take a bazillion indexed pages and make them disappear overnight.  

The conversion they can do. They just don't make any money doing it, so they don't.  I think it is very short sighted on their part.

So wait max......

Your telling me you did not sign the non disclosure and even listen to their offer? Why?

Also, how much do you think they would pay to buy ji outright?

Yes, that is exactly what happened. I went to NYC and met with them before the draft. I heard their vision. I met with the head of technology in NY and the head of Marketing.  And I didn't like the vision. The guy mentioned in the ji press release is who reached out to me in April. They had reached out to JN back in the day, when they were in the process of parting with Dan Leberfeld. We didn't talk to them back then, this time we did to hear what they had to say.

I am not saying Scout.com won't be successful, they are and they will. I just found a few things to not aligned with the best interests of JetNation:

1.  Losing the forum completely (no conversion)

2.  The head of marketing was a VERY smart guy. Extremely smart and successful. The kind of guy that will make more money in a few years than I will make in my entire lifetime. But he led his presentation to me by mentioning that he doesn't know anything about sports.  And all 40 marketing people, plus the 10 interns they were hiring, all report to him.  We have about 25,000 social media followers and a lot of work has gone into that. Handing that over to a non sports fan just concerned me.  

I really can't speculate how much they would offer to buy ji. When I asked them what they preferred I was told that I should partner with them because they will double the site in size and then it will be worth much more money.

Just wasn't for us, I didn't need to hear about the money.  The money wouldn't have changed anything. So I emailed them back, thanking them and said we weren't interested.

Yes, that is exactly what happened. I went to NYC and met with them before the draft. I heard their vision. I met with the head of technology in NY and the head of Marketing.  And I didn't like the vision. The guy mentioned in the ji press release is who reached out to me in April. They had reached out to JN back in the day, when they were in the process of parting with Dan Leberfeld. We didn't talk to them back then, this time we did to hear what they had to say.

I am not saying Scout.com won't be successful, they are and they will. I just found a few things to not aligned with the best interests of JetNation:

1.  Losing the forum completely (no conversion)

2.  The head of marketing was a VERY smart guy. Extremely smart and successful. The kind of guy that will make more money in a few years than I will make in my entire lifetime. But he led his presentation to me by mentioning that he doesn't know anything about sports.  And all 40 marketing people, plus the 10 interns they were hiring, all report to him.  We have about 25,000 social media followers and a lot of work has gone into that. Handing that over to a non sports fan just concerned me.  

I really can't speculate how much they would offer to buy ji. When I asked them what they preferred I was told that I should partner with them because they will double the site in size and then it will be worth much more money.

Just wasn't for us, I didn't need to hear about the money.  The money wouldn't have changed anything. So I emailed them back, thanking them and said we weren't interested.

Guys like you only happen in the movies and very rarely in real life.

OR

You are one smart cookie. Maybe you figured out you could create one giant mega site where you hired a marketing person and managers that actually knew and cared for sports and put that other giant site out of business.

OR

You are one smart cookie. Maybe you figured out you could create one giant mega site where you hired a marketing person and managers that actually knew and cared for sports and put that other giant site out of business.

I have had the pleasure of sitting down and talking with max in several occasions and I will say this. He is one of the most stupidest people I have ever met, so number 2 is out of the equation

OR

LOL.

Not to get all real world on everyone but most people know that my wife has cancer. My meeting with Scout was in the middle of her chemo treatments. So for the first time in 10 years when I listened to their pitch I thought to myself, what would my life be like if I didn't have JetNation?  And I didn't like the answer to that question. I have made so many friends here, met so many amazing people and I enjoy logging on and talking to everyone each day. This past year has been by far the toughest of my life and JetNation was still fun. So the thought of selling this and not having that, well it wasn't even a consideration. 

So that left the partnership.  What I like about this place is we treat it seriously but we have fun. Having a partner involved, that doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Signing a two-year (or so) deal is actually a much longer term deal because you aren't going to get those posts back (they own them I believe) if you ever try to leave.

So it wasn't actually a hard decision. Money would be great, I know I can use more of it. But the cost to get that money...just not worth it.

Oh well, who should play me in the movie? I am thinking Kevin James, but I am open to suggestions.

I have had the pleasure of sitting down and talking with max in several occasions and I will say this. He is one of the most stupidest people I have ever met, so number 2 is out of the equation

This...this post did not end the way that I thought it would when I was about halfway through it.

LOL.

Not to get all real world on everyone but most people know that my wife has cancer. My meeting with Scout was in the middle of her chemo treatments. So for the first time in 10 years when I listened to their pitch I thought to myself, what would my life be like if I didn't have JetNation?  And I didn't like the answer to that question. I have made so many friends here, met so many amazing people and I enjoy logging on and talking to everyone each day. This past year has been by far the toughest of my life and JetNation was still fun. So the thought of selling this and not having that, well it wasn't even a consideration. 

So that left the partnership.  What I like about this place is we treat it seriously but we have fun. Having a partner involved, that doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Signing a two-year (or so) deal is actually a much longer term deal because you aren't going to get those posts back (they own them I believe) if you ever try to leave.

So it wasn't actually a hard decision. Money would be great, I know I can use more of it. But the cost to get that money...just not worth it.

Oh well, who should play me in the movie? I am thinking Kevin James, but I am open to suggestions.

i think he as an exclusive deal with Sooth, Signed him for only a t-shirt. What about Andy Richter?

OR

About the last part, I wish, but there is no chance of that. Scout is a 50 million dollar plus company. They are backed by a billionaire (or very close to it).

I would have to own the Jets to be in their league.

LOL.

I was watching an interview with Chris Rock a long time ago, and they asked him why he stopped doing The Chris Rock Show for HBO, (which is still hilarious). And he said that as the show continued to grow, the more staff and more work they needed for the show. I'm paraphrasing here but I'm certain this is almost verbatim, he said that it basically started to feel like a job. And he didn't want a job. He just liked having a place where he could go and crack jokes with his friends every day. Once something he enjoyed so much began to feel like work, he lost interest.

I was watching an interview with Chris Rock a long time ago, and they asked him why he stopped doing The Chris Rock Show for HBO, (which is still hilarious). And he said that as the show continued to grow, the more staff and more work they needed for the show. I'm paraphrasing here but I'm certain this is almost verbatim, he said that it basically started to feel like a job. And he didn't want a job. He just liked having a place where he could go and crack jokes with his friends every day. Once something he enjoyed so much began to feel like work, he lost interest.

That is a great way of putting it.  I really like that a lot. 

LOL.

This right here is why this place is loved.

Everyone that has taken the time to create and build something with the amount of investment in time and dedication as guys like Max here and Sean at JI has a vision for how they want it to grow, or what they ultimately want out of it. Not everyone will share your idea on what is the best route to take, but putting in that time buys you the right to do it your way. Hopefully it works out for both parties.

As Max said above, "I thought to myself, what would my life be like if I didn't have JetNation?  And I didn't like the answer to that question" sounds to me like his decision has already worked out for him the way he wants it to and for what he is looking for out of JN. After reading the thread at JI, it sounds like Sean's ambition is to take JI to another more national level, so good on him for going for it.

This right here is why this place is loved.

Everyone that has taken the time to create and build something with the amount of investment in time and dedication as guys like Max here and Sean at JI has a vision for how they want it to grow, or what they ultimately want out of it. Not everyone will share your idea on what is the best route to take, but putting in that time buys you the right to do it your way. Hopefully it works out for both parties.

As Max said above, "I thought to myself, what would my life be like if I didn't have JetNation?  And I didn't like the answer to that question" sounds to me like his decision has already worked out for him the way he wants it to and for what he is looking for out of JN. After reading the thread at JI, it sounds like Sean's ambition is to take JI to another more national level, so good on him for going for it.

Good post Joe. But now that I read your recap I just realized this means I will die broke. How do I change my answer? Seriously, I want to change my answer. Why didn't someone recap this for me earlier?  Geez.   :)

I will say, i just went to the scout homepage, boy what a clusterf##k! It honestly looks like a bullsh*t news aggregator where all random stuff is posted because no human is actually overseeing it. And it looks like some cheap $50 template site as well.

Honestly, does not look like the site of an operation with the kind of backing that I know they have. The JN home page is a million times better, and all max did was just pick a better template, lol.

Lots of paywall content there too. My personal thoughts on paywall content is if it is something that is freely available in abundance, like the news or sports journalism, I don't see how it works out. I would think if you are going to buy buying members by the thousand like they are trying to do, then maximize the advertising throughout the site and video content. If you want to sell content, sell podcasts and stuff like that as podcasts behind a paywall won't prohibit viewers being on your site and spending time there.

Your comment about the guy heading marketing not being a sports guy shoots up red flags for a few reasons, but 2 really come to my attention. One, if you don't know anything about sports, than you spend no time consuming sports content or on sports blogs/forums/news sites. How can you effectively market to a base if you know nothing about the base, how sports fans consume content, what they are looking for. The kind of members you are looking for, the ones that will pay $100 a year for a premium membership, are the hardcore enthusiasts. You want to market and sell to an enthusiast market, you need someone that understands that enthusiast market. The other thing, I have been in sales for a long time, and I would NEVER be proud or admit I know nothing about what I am trying to sell or market. I have worked in and attained a decent level of success in a few drastically different industries and I made damn sure to know everything I could learn in all of them.

LOL.

After reading this and your previous replies it sounds like a very well thought out and balanced decision based on both personal and business preferences. Its very rare that both meet the way they did for you. More power to you.

Wish you and your wife the best thru this journey of recovery.

WO... I recognize a lot of these names from back when I was a lurker on JI. I guess this is where all those regulars went!

Very nice to see familiar-ish posters and some other new refugee kin as well, because unless they perform some kind of miracle flip this house kinda sh*t, that scout site is a total disaster and a slap in the face to pull on everyone a week before the damn season starts with no warning! Glad I was tipped to this site because TGG fukin blows and that was about all I knew of.

Really glad to see some familiar JI ppl here.

We are everywhere

The PHiSH?

WO... I recognize a lot of these names from back when I was a lurker on JI. I guess this is where all those regulars went!

Very nice to see familiar-ish posters and some other new refugee kin as well, because unless they perform some kind of miracle flip this house kinda sh*t, that scout site is a total disaster and a slap in the face to pull on everyone a week before the damn season starts with no warning! Glad I was tipped to this site because TGG fukin blows and that was about all I knew of.

Really glad to see some familiar JI ppl here.

The PHiSH?

Dang Hitman you're jumping ship too?  Agree'd with the slap in the face part man.  The whole thing feels like a giant sell out.  Maybe because that's exactly what it is?  :confused0082: 

My father was the one who actually introduced me to JI back when he and guys like The Crusher, EY, and TX etc. were regulars...to see that this is what it's come down too is pretty sad TBH.  I discovered JN a while ago on my own and while I hardly ever posted, I lurked pretty frequently and the place has always been a great site for discussion regarding the Jets.  

Dang Hitman you're jumping ship too?  Agree'd with the slap in the face part man.  The whole thing feels like a giant sell out.  Maybe because that's exactly what it is?  :confused0082: 

My father was the one who actually introduced me to JI back when he and guys like The Crusher, EY, and TX etc. were regulars...to see that this is what it's come down too is pretty sad TBH.  I discovered JN a while ago on my own and while I hardly ever posted, I lurked pretty frequently and the place has always been a great site for discussion regarding the Jets.  

Wouldn't say I'm jumping ship, but I have my reasons to look elsewhere, other than what looks to be a massive clusterfuk clunker of a "board" at the new place.

I'm gonna give it a try, and that would be great if it all goes like Sooth is saying, but we'll see soon enough. I've got a target on my back there as well and it's kinda pissing me off TBH. Randomly get a ban for no reason with no explanation. Must have gotten under someone special's skin.

I don't expect I'd last very long at the new place if it's anything like it is, and has been forever. Haha.

Honestly, I try to stay in the hampur there but I always get sucked out somehow.

I seriously thought TX was dead btw.

RD was funny

Fish is a great poster.

32 was one of my all-time favorites because everything he posted went over 90% of of the board.

Free is one of the biggest D-bags going.

The dude from Florida must be DWC.

PaulieC just graduated from college at age 35 with a Liberal Arts degree (2.1 GPA) and still lives with his mom and dad.

I think the dude from Florida is Arod

That's who I was thinking. LOL @ DWC...

Weren't you a mad back in the day there? I remember your username, different av tho.

LOL no I was never a mod. Just a long-time poster.

Sean would never have made me a mod. He hates my guts, because I won't kiss his ring, so to speak. Guy has an enormous ego.

Archived