The three positions battles to settle for tonights Jets game

faba

By Darryl Slater | The Star-Ledger 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on August 28, 2014 at 6:00 AM, updated August 28, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Reddit

The Jets play their fourth and final preseason game tonight, at the Eagles.

If you like watching the Jets' stars, this game is not for you. Starters don't play in the final preseason game. So you won't see quarterback Geno Smith or running back Chris Johnson or wide receiver Eric Decker or even cornerback Darrin Walls, who might just start in Week 1 because of widespread attrition in the defensive backfield.

But there are a few other angles worth paying attention to in this game, as guys on the fringe of making the final roster get their last audition for the coaches and general manager John Idzik, before Saturday evening's deadline to trim the roster from 75 to 53.

Here is a look at three positions (and the individuals at those positions) we will be watching this evening in Philadelphia:

WIDE RECEIVER

Back in 2012, the Jets had high hopes for Stephen Hill. They drafted him in the second round, and passed on Alshon Jeffery to get him. That was the wrong decision, as it turned out. Jeffery enters this season as a Pro Bowler. Hill might not even make it to Week 1 in a Jets uniform. Four receivers seem like locks to make the final, 53-man roster: Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley, David Nelson and Jalen Saunders. The Jets will keep five or six receivers, probably. Hill is competing for the final one or two spots with Greg Salas and Saalim Hakim, who both contribute on special teams, unlike Hill. Tonight could be the end of Hill’s disappointing tenure with the Jets.

CORNERBACK

The following players could all be competing for the final cornerback spot: Jeremy Reeves, Johnny Patrick, LeQuan Lewis and rookie Brandon Dixon. Lewis has played for nine teams (including one in the CFL) since going undrafted in 2011. The Jets picked him up earlier this month. He has looked solid at times. With uncertainty about the status of Dimitri Patterson, who is eligible to return from suspension Monday, the Jets need to establish some semblance of depth at corner. Moreover, Dee Milliner (high ankle sprain) might not be able to play in the opener. Can any of the healthy players out there tonight show some potential?

RUNNING BACK

The Jets’ top three running backs have long been set: Chris Johnson, Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell. The battle for the fourth spot – presuming the Jets keep four backs – has come down to Daryl Richardson and Alex Green. In last Friday’s third preseason game, against the Giants, the Jets gave Richardson more action. He had five carries for 18 yards, while Green had just one carry for 2 yards. They will both play tonight. One is likely to be retained, while the other is cut. This is not high-stakes stuff – unless you are the two guys fighting for a job, of course.

1. They won't do it, but they should keep three backs (and a fullback), and keep seven receivers. They need to develop a passing game that they can move forward with, and I'd rather see Enunwa on the active roster than Daryl Richardson.

2. At this point, I'll be pretty disappointed if Hill and Patterson are on the opening day roster. They both represent things that shouldn't be in an NFL locker room, and both should be made examples of.

WIDE RECEIVER

Back in 2012, the Jets had high hopes for Stephen Hill. They drafted him in the second round, and passed on Alshon Jeffery to get him. That was the wrong decision, as it turned out. Jeffery enters this season as a Pro Bowler. Hill might not even make it to Week 1 in a Jets uniform. Four receivers seem like locks to make the final, 53-man roster: Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley, David Nelson and Jalen Saunders. The Jets will keep five or six receivers, probably. Hill is competing for the final one or two spots with Greg Salas and Saalim Hakim, who both contribute on special teams, unlike Hill. Tonight could be the end of Hill’s disappointing tenure with the Jets.

The Jets also named Hakim their starting KOR. Assuming Nelson is a lock (I'm not entirely sure) that only leaves one position open - assuming they keep six (which I think is a safe assumption).

1. They won't do it, but they should keep three backs (and a fullback), and keep seven receivers. They need to develop a passing game that they can move forward with, and I'd rather see Enunwa on the active roster than Daryl Richardson.

2. At this point, I'll be pretty disappointed if Hill and Patterson are on the opening day roster. They both represent things that shouldn't be in an NFL locker room, and both should be made examples of.

I agree on the second point- hesitant to go with 4 RB though-Ivory always getting banged up is  a factor to

Ordinarily I wouldn't advocate for keeping 7 WRs ever. But in this case I could see being behind it, though it's for a different reason. If they're going to treat KR and/or PR like a full roster spot, then they're really only WRs in name alone. Often a 3rd/4th RB (or 5th CB or whatever) handles punts. The Jets are keeping 2 separate guys for these 2 slots as well (Hakim & Saunders) even though neither may see the field much as a WR, injuries to guys ahead of them notwithstanding.

I would hate to lose Enunwa also. Could be that someone else liked him on draft day but weren't sure if he was a guy who wouldn't even make the 75-man cuts. Now that they know that at least one team still likes him after seeing him up close for dozens of practices, their interest in him may be rekindled.

So in a sense, a 7th WR on this roster could really be seen as a 5th WR...

517796.jpg

...depending on your point of view.

Couldn't agree more on both points. 

I'll be interested in seeing if the Jets play Hill tonight, and if so, how much. Wouldn't surprise me if they attempt to "showcase" him, and try to get a late pick from someone for him before final cut downs.

I know discipline is your thing, and Patterson irked me, too. Someone on the team (Colon?) was quoted as saying that Patterson would have to explain himself to the team before being allowed back into the locker room. I think that's a start. The Jets are just so horribly thin at the position. I guess If they can pick up someone halfway useful off the scrap heap, I'd be with you, though. Also wouldn't be too upset if Patterson was cut and resigned after week #1 (if no decent bodies were available), so his salary for this year is no longer guaranteed.

I agree with the first.  As Sperm said, two of those guys are not giving much at WR and they have a bunch of developmental guys.  I'd like to see Enunwa.  Hopefuly Enunwa and Saunders will put in some work tonight.  Ivory getting hurt all the time is a valid point, but they still have two guys capable of 25 carries a game. A guy like Green or Richardson will likely still be around if necessary during the season. 

I don't have a problem with Hill or Patterson being on roster.  IMO, HIll always gives effort and can add something - just through pure speed.  If that is all he gives and any of these other guys are decent he will and should be gone, but I'm not 100% convinced.  I think the board is wildly overrating Salas and Nelson who I think are okay.  I'd agree more regarding Patterson, but I do not think the full story has come out yet.  I'm still waiting for an explaination of his comical remark. That was taken out of context and when I read what he said, it sounded more like he was saying that it was comical that the media was saying he was AWOL.  OTOH the team hasn't made any statement otherwise, which seems to indicate there is no reasonable explanation. 

By Darryl Slater | The Star-Ledger 

Email the author | Follow on Twitter 

on August 28, 2014 at 6:00 AM, updated August 28, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Reddit

The Jets play their fourth and final preseason game tonight, at the Eagles.

If you like watching the Jets' stars, this game is not for you. Starters don't play in the final preseason game. So you won't see quarterback Geno Smith or running back Chris Johnson or wide receiver Eric Decker or even cornerback Darrin Walls, who might just start in Week 1 because of widespread attrition in the defensive backfield.

But there are a few other angles worth paying attention to in this game, as guys on the fringe of making the final roster get their last audition for the coaches and general manager John Idzik, before Saturday evening's deadline to trim the roster from 75 to 53.

Here is a look at three positions (and the individuals at those positions) we will be watching this evening in Philadelphia:

WIDE RECEIVER

CORNERBACK

The following players could all be competing for the final cornerback spot: Jeremy Reeves, Johnny Patrick, LeQuan Lewis and rookie Brandon Dixon. Lewis has played for nine teams (including one in the CFL) since going undrafted in 2011. The Jets picked him up earlier this month. He has looked solid at times. With uncertainty about the status of Dimitri Patterson, who is eligible to return from suspension Monday, the Jets need to establish some semblance of depth at corner. Moreover, Dee Milliner (high ankle sprain) might not be able to play in the opener. Can any of the healthy players out there tonight show some potential?

RUNNING BACK

The Jets’ top three running backs have long been set: Chris Johnson, Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell. The battle for the fourth spot – presuming the Jets keep four backs – has come down to Daryl Richardson and Alex Green. In last Friday’s third preseason game, against the Giants, the Jets gave Richardson more action. He had five carries for 18 yards, while Green had just one carry for 2 yards. They will both play tonight. One is likely to be retained, while the other is cut. This is not high-stakes stuff – unless you are the two guys fighting for a job, of course.

Don't forget color commentator. They DEFEINITELY need a new color commentator

WIDE RECEIVER

What has Saunders done to deserve a lock to make the final roster. His only credential is he was drafted in the 4th round and that too drafted way earlier than he should have been.

So much for competition.

I would rather see an Enunwa than a Richardson.

I have been leaning to seeing 7 WR's drafted because i think the JETS will go with only two QB's. Try to put one of the QB's on PS.

What has Hill done  ? Why does he represent things that shouldn't be in an NFL locker room.

Ordinarily I wouldn't advocate for keeping 7 WRs ever. But in this case I could see being behind it, though it's for a different reason. If they're going to treat KR and/or PR like a full roster spot, then they're really only WRs in name alone. Often a 3rd/4th RB (or 5th CB or whatever) handles punts. The Jets are keeping 2 separate guys for these 2 slots as well (Hakim & Saunders) even though neither may see the field much as a WR, injuries to guys ahead of them notwithstanding.

I would hate to lose Enunwa also. Could be that someone else liked him on draft day but weren't sure if he was a guy who wouldn't even make the 75-man cuts. Now that they know that at least one team still likes him after seeing him up close for dozens of practices, their interest in him may be rekindled.

So in a sense, a 7th WR on this roster could really be seen as a 5th WR...

517796.jpg

...depending on your point of view.

Yeah, I don't think Hakim is a lock for the final roster, though, especially if Saunders shows he can stay on his feet the next week or so. It wouldn't be surprising at all if the primary kick returner Week One isn't even on the roster right now.

I agree with the first. As Sperm said, two of those guys are not giving much at WR and they have a bunch of developmental guys. I'd like to see Enunwa. Hopefuly Enunwa and Saunders will put in some work tonight. Ivory getting hurt all the time is a valid point, but they still have two guys capable of 25 carries a game. A guy like Green or Richardson will likely still be around if necessary during the season.

I don't have a problem with Hill or Patterson being on roster. IMO, HIll always gives effort and can add something - just through pure speed. If that is all he gives and any of these other guys are decent he will and should be gone, but I'm not 100% convinced. I think the board is wildly overrating Salas and Nelson who I think are okay. I'd agree more regarding Patterson, but I do not think the full story has come out yet. I'm still waiting for an explaination of his comical remark. That was taken out of context and when I read what he said, it sounded more like he was saying that it was comical that the media was saying he was AWOL. OTOH the team hasn't made any statement otherwise, which seems to indicate there is no reasonable explanation.

I think the issue with Hill is that keeping him pushes a more deserving player off the roster, which is an ugly move. Similarly, unless there's some weird backstory to the Patterson AWOL business, keeping him is a bad look as well. If the Jets are truly rebuilding, they should use this time to set a precedent. It's not like either Hill or Patterson are difference making players.

I think the issue with Hill is that keeping him pushes a more deserving player off the roster, which is an ugly move. Similarly, unless there's some weird backstory to the Patterson AWOL business, keeping him is a bad look as well. If the Jets are truly rebuilding, they should use this time to set a precedent. It's not like either Hill or Patterson are difference making players.

qft!

What has Saunders done to deserve a lock to make the final roster. His only credential is he was drafted in the 4th round and that too drafted way earlier than he should have been.

So much for competition.

He will either make it or more likely get put on IR, which delays any real decision for 8 weeks.His speed is inrtiguing, 

"Showcasing" Hill is a joke. Someone will take a flyer on him but not for anything of value and only for league minimum. 

I'll be interested in seeing if the Jets play Hill tonight, and if so, how much. Wouldn't surprise me if they attempt to "showcase" him, and try to get a late pick from someone for him before final cut downs.

I know discipline is your thing, and Patterson irked me, too. Someone on the team (Colon?) was quoted as saying that Patterson would have to explain himself to the team before being allowed back into the locker room. I think that's a start. The Jets are just so horribly thin at the position. I guess If they can pick up someone halfway useful off the scrap heap, I'd be with you, though. Also wouldn't be too upset if Patterson was cut and resigned after week #1 (if no decent bodies were available), so his salary for this year is no longer guaranteed.

With Patterson, you give him the Gene Hackman/Hoosiers line, "My team is on the floor." Boom. Learn em.

With Patterson, you give him the Gene Hackman/Hoosiers line, "My team is on the floor." Boom. Learn em.

I don't disagree with you in general.  That is certainly the way it seems.  I am just more willing to think there is behind the scenes stuff that changes these items.  Hill might look better in practice.  I know everybody is all fired up about Salas and Nelson, but while they seem decent enough in the games, they may not be showing so much in practice.  Patterson may have a much different backstory than what we all suspect. 

He will either make it or more likely get put on IR, which delays any real decision for 8 weeks.His speed is inrtiguing, 

"Showcasing" Hill is a joke. Someone will take a flyer on him but not for anything of value and only for league minimum. 

Is uncontrollable puking a valid reason for IR?

Tonight Hill will play himself onto another team or his couch until at least week 2. He simply hasn't shown enough to keep another more deserving player off the team. If he is cut, I think another team would try and fix him on a minimum deal, non-guaranteed deal after week 1. I do think that there could be a team out there with a mediocre, at best, CB that they will need to cut for roster purposes that could be swapped for Hill if he shows up at all tonight. High draft picks get at least 2 chances in this league unless there are serious injury or legal trouble...

Either everybody is puking or I am all mixed up.  I thought the reference was to Hill -- my goof.

Sorry, Saunders has the car accident/seizure thing. My fault for not being clear. Suspect they will look to the seizure thing as an excuse to stash him on IR for 8 weeks.

Sorry, Saunders has the car accident/seizure thing. My fault for not being clear. Suspect they will look to the seizure thing as an excuse to stash him on IR for 8 weeks.

I am pretty sure that they won't be able to do that after he plays tonight...He was cleared to practice and play by our doctors, so unless there was to be another episode tonight I don't think he would be eligible. Also, I believe that in order to make onto IR he would be subject to waivers, during which he would be claimed by another team.

On the first point, I agree wholeheartedly. I have a hard time seeing Richardson seeing any play time behind Johnson, Ivory, and Powell and while he's not a bad player, if there's a rash of injuries at RB they can poach a similar talent off another team's practice squad. If he was a good special teamer I could see it. Enunwa hopefully they can stash on the practice squad, but I like the upside there still and it'd be cool to have him make the active roster. Hopefully he shows something tonight (which I've said before pretty much every preseason game, so maybe I'llhope he doesn't show anything).

On the second point, I agree in terms of Patterson. Hill, the one thing is that this WR group is not explosive. Decker can make some plays but is mostly a possession guy. Nelson and Kerley are possession guys. Salas is a possession guy. Saunders is somewhat explosive also but unproven in the passing game, and Hakim's a burner but raw at receiver as well. While Hill has been less than outstanding, as a #5 who runs some go routes and blocks he's not bad. As much as Salas and Nelson are both better wide receivers than him, they also bring a lot of similar things to the table. So I'm not sure if the redundancy there is an issue.

Ultimately I don't think Hill makes the roster, but he's too talented for another team to not want to take a shot at trying to mold him. I wouldn't be surprised if they find a way trade him to a team for a crappy corner that team would cut otherwise. If Blaine Gabbert can get moved for a 6th, anything can happen.

Archived