Jets Crushed By Eagles in Preseason Finale

JetNation

stephen hill

The Jets scrubs were crushed by the Eagles scrubs 37-7 Thursday night. It’s a meaningless game, but the stats weren’t good. The Eagles put up nearly 600 yards, almost half of which were on the ground. Clyde Gates caught the Jets lone touchdown, thrown by Tajh Boyd.

As everyone knows, the preseason finale was the final audition for marginal players who are on the verge of making the team or the practice squad. The Jets have 22 players to cut by Saturday, when the rosters have to be down to 53 players.

Rex Ryan sent Michael Vick out for the first snap against his former team; Vick spent his previous five seasons in Philadelphia. He was received warmly by the crowd and left the game after the one snap. Matt Simms took over afterward. Simms didn’t have an impressive game. Neither did Boyd, who played in the second half.

The Jets looked like they have some real depth on the lines, and running backs Alex Green and Daryl Richardson looked like strong runners, although Green fumbled the ball. It was against second and third stringers, but is Richardson worthy of a roster spot over a guy like Bilal Powell? Hard to say.

Rontez Miles made a name for himself with ten tackles. If there’s a shot for a roster spot, he made a good case – he was all over the field. Jeremiah George looks like he could be a solid player in a couple of seasons. He had seven tacks, two for a loss.

Ellis Lankster had a rough game but a decent preseason otherwise. Darrin Walls didn’t play tonight, which was a sign he will probably make the team. With Dee Milliner still out with the high ankle sprain and Dexter McDougal done for the year with a torn ACL, Walls has a pretty good chance to be pretty high on the depth chart.

As Stephen Hill attempted to prove himself worthy of a place on the roster, he dropped another pass that was in his hands and had only one reception for 13 yards. He was in the spotlight more than other players because people were expecting great leaps forward, but at this point it’s hard to justify keeping him on the roster. He’s entering his third season, and he still can’t catch the ball. Greg Salas and Clyde Gates have made stronger cases for a roster spot this preseason, and Hill’s inability to develop is another indictment against Mike Tannenbaum and his inability to both evaluate talent and hire people who evaluate talent.

Final roster cuts will be made by 4:00 PM this Saturday, August 30th. The Jets season opener is at MetLife Stadium on September 7th. Kickoff is at 1:00 PM.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
M-nYv46mhKM

View the full article

Look big deal that the guy was picked too high and is a bust. Every single NFL team has their share of busts, why does it drive Jets fans craziest when it happens to us? New England's draft suck way way more than ours ever have with one exception on a fluke 6th rounder turning into Joe Hardy from Damn Yankees. Just cut Stephen Hill and be done with it. The Mike T days of "I have to prove that I actually DO know what I'm doing" days are over.

Look big deal that the guy was picked too high and is a bust. Every single NFL team has their share of busts, why does it drive Jets fans craziest when it happens to us? New England's draft suck way way more than ours ever have with one exception on a fluke 6th rounder turning into Joe Hardy from Damn Yankees. Just cut Stephen Hill and be done with it. The Mike T days of "I have to prove that I actually DO know what I'm doing" days are over.

The Hill pick sucked because it was like the first high draft pick we used on a WR in 10 years. Plus this team has been desperate for offense forever.

Serenity now.

In addition to what Matt said, the Jets seem incapable of drafting a sure thing on the offensive side of the ball (or in the first round). Hill was another "project" guy.

Now nobody can say that the New York Jets haven't made a strong case at the WR position over the past 10 years, I mean just LOOK at all of these big names and the high slots that we have seen them drafted at over and over again

2004 Jerricho Cotchery Rd 4

2005 Harry Williams Rd 7

2006 Brad Smith Rd 4

2007 Chansi Stuckey Rd 7

2008 Marcus Henry Rd 6

2009 ...

2010 ...

2011 Jeremy Kerley Rd 5

2012 Stephen Hill Rd 2 and Jordan White Rd 7

2013 ...

2014 Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans Rd 4 and Quincy Enunwa Rd 6

Now nobody can say that the New York Jets haven't made a strong case at the WR position over the past 10 years, I mean just LOOK at all of these big names and the high slots that we have seen them drafted at over and over again

2005 Harry Williams Rd 7

2006 Brad Smith Rd 4

2007 Chansi Stuckey Rd 7

2008 Marcus Henry Rd 6

2009 ...

2010 ...

2011 Jeremy Kerley Rd 5

2013 ...

This is the point I keep making again and again. The Jets just don't put enough resources into the WR position and have gotten dog sh*t out of their passing offense as a result. They treat drafting WRs like they treat drafting running backs which is just baffling philosophy. It's not just wide receiver either, they're dog sh*t at drafting any skill position players.

2005 Harry Williams Rd 7

2006 Brad Smith Rd 4

2007 Chansi Stuckey Rd 7

2008 Marcus Henry Rd 6

2009 ...

2010 ...

2011 Jeremy Kerley Rd 5

2013 ...

Yep.  Cotchery was a great pick because 2004 was an AWFUL WR draft class.  Larry Fitzgerald (3rd overall) and Cotch were the only standout WR's in that draft.  Other WR's from that class:  Roy Williams (7th), Reggie Williams (9th), Lee Evans (13th), Michael Clayton (15th), Michael Jenkins (29th), Rashaun Woods (31st), Devery Henderson (2nd round), Darius Watts (2nd), Keary Colbert (2nd), etc were all in that class.  Ouch.

But in 2005 we missed out on Vincent Jackson, taking Nugent and Justin Miller ahead of him in the 2nd.  In 2006 we took Kellen Clemens in the 2nd when Greg Jennings went 3 picks later.  In 2009 we traded up for Mark Sanchez and missed out on Michael Crabtree.  And of course in 2012 we took Hill over Alshon Jeffery, taken 2 picks later.

We wasted so many 2nd-5th round type picks with trade-ups, deals for veterans, and UFA signings that we missed out on a lot of WR's, and even when we had the chance to get impact guys, we whiffed and took someone else.  Cotchery and Kerley, the only 2 great WR picks over a 10-year span, with the jury out on the most recent crop of rookies.

I'm gonna go drown myself now.

I don't know much about Sanjay Lal, but could the coaching have something to do with the lack of progress our young receivers make?

I'm not looking to start a whole nuther Rex bash-fest BUT....it starts at the top guys. If it ain't working then it's up to the HC to recognize the problem and make the point to the GM and owner who then should be doing some exploratory on a better guy to be the receiver coach. We all know how much Rex knows about the offensive side of the ball.

Nonsense spouted off by Jets fans so many times in a attempt to make them feel better, that they actually start to believe it. How about comparing drafts since B.B. took over in 2000, in that time the patriots drafted 14 pro-bowlers 23 legit starters and that's not even to mention backups and role players. All in all it was perfect way for the Jets to finish the pre-season because it gives Jet fans a perfect view of what they can expect for the next 16 weeks.  

This is the point I keep making again and again. The Jets just don't put enough resources into the WR position and have gotten dog sh*t out of their passing offense as a result. They treat drafting WRs like they treat drafting running backs which is just baffling philosophy. It's not just wide receiver either, they're dog sh*t at drafting any skill position players.

I've said it before... Scouting WRs has been a problem the entire time Bradway has been here. 

2005 Harry Williams Rd 7

2006 Brad Smith Rd 4

2007 Chansi Stuckey Rd 7

2008 Marcus Henry Rd 6

2009 ...

2010 ...

2011 Jeremy Kerley Rd 5

2013 ...

No one's giving the Jets bragging rights over their handling of the position for the past decade, but you're oversimplifying it to suggest the draft picks listed was the only "investment" the team made at the position, and this is patently false. The lack of draft picks used on college (rookie) WRs is because, for so many years, the Jets kept filling the position with veteran WRs (and generally higher-priced ones at that). And they did use more draft picks on WRs than you've outlined. They traded them away for veteran WRs is all.

Doesn't make it better, and I'm not defending the job done with Jets WRs over the years, but after teams spend big on a position they don't generally then go drafting that same position (particularly not with early picks) that year or even the next one.

As an example, you started out with 2004. At the time, they still had 1st round pick Moss, had traded a high 2nd rounder for McCareins (and gave him a $4M/yr contract, which is almost today's equivalent of what we're paying Decker), and we still had Chrebet (also counting $2.5M even after taking a pay cut) signed through 2008. And they drafted Cotchery on top of that. The only neglect of the position was in Bradway's evaluation of McCareins, which was pretty shameful at that:

"Terrell Owens was traded yesterday for the 51st pick and today Justin McCareins was traded for the 42nd pick," Titans general manager Floyd Reese said. "We have to feel pretty good about that."

:bag:

The only saving grace from 2004 is that - absent trading up from #12 to #2 to take Larry Fitzgerald, which was impossible - taking any WR ahead of Cotchery that year would have been stupid. So while you're bemoaning "only" using a 4th round pick on him in hindsight, Cotchery was easily the 2nd-best WR in the draft. Taking another WR higher would have meant drafting a bust, and then quite possibly not drafting Cotchery after that. 

Nonsense spouted off by Jets fans so many times in a attempt to make them feel better, that they actually start to believe it. How about comparing drafts since B.B. took over in 2000, in that time the patriots drafted 14 pro-bowlers 23 legit starters and that's not even to mention backups and role players. All in all it was perfect way for the Jets to finish the pre-season because it gives Jet fans a perfect view of what they can expect for the next 16 weeks.  

Tom Brady's future replacement Ryan Mallett says hi

No one's giving the Jets bragging rights over their handling of the position for the past decade, but you're oversimplifying it to suggest the draft picks listed was the only "investment" the team made at the position, and this is patently false. The lack of draft picks used on college (rookie) WRs is because, for so many years, the Jets kept filling the position with veteran WRs (and generally higher-priced ones at that). And they did use more draft picks on WRs than you've outlined. They traded them away for veteran WRs is all.

Doesn't make it better, and I'm not defending the job done with Jets WRs over the years, but after teams spend big on a position they don't generally then go drafting that same position (particularly not with early picks) that year or even the next one.

As an example, you started out with 2004. At the time, they still had 1st round pick Moss, had traded a high 2nd rounder for McCareins (and gave him a $4M/yr contract, which is almost today's equivalent of what we're paying Decker), and we still had Chrebet (also counting $2.5M even after taking a pay cut) signed through 2008. And they drafted Cotchery on top of that. The only neglect of the position was in Bradway's evaluation of McCareins, which was pretty shameful at that:

"Terrell Owens was traded yesterday for the 51st pick and today Justin McCareins was traded for the 42nd pick," Titans general manager Floyd Reese said. "We have to feel pretty good about that."

:bag:

The only saving grace from 2004 is that - absent trading up from #12 to #2 to take Larry Fitzgerald, which was impossible - taking any WR ahead of Cotchery that year would have been stupid. So while you're bemoaning "only" using a 4th round pick on him in hindsight, Cotchery was easily the 2nd-best WR in the draft. Taking another WR higher would have meant drafting a bust, and then quite possibly not drafting Cotchery after that. 

I'm not oversimplifying or bemoaning anything, all I did was post the names of the WRs that they drafted and where they were drafted-OK I will admit to being a bit sarcastic. But let's just look at some of those "other" names Jonathan Carter, Dante Ridgeway, Harry Williams, Tim Dwight, Wallace Wright, Brad Smith, Chansi Stuckey, David Clowney Danny Woodhead was a WR on 2009 squad, Patrick Turner Derrick Mason, Clyde Gates, Jason Hill, Mardy Gilyard, Chaz Schillens, Tim Tebow, Michael Campbell, Josh Cribbs, Saalim Hakim, Ben Obomanu, Greg Salas, Ryan Spadola.

So for the past decade in Jetsland after the two starters there has been pretty much a total disregard for true NFL level talent Sperm, And, as I looked over those rosters perhaps the biggest oversight has been at the TE position, there has only been a few actual pass catchers that the Jets have had at that position, again over the past decade. Something is wrong and maybe it should be on the guys who are writing the names on the blackboards for the coaches and GMs to evaluate

I've said this before on this board. The last good skill postion offensive guy the jets drafted was Keyshawn that's 3 gms ago and 4 coaches ago !

and if you go back to when Woody Johnson took over the team there are only 3 more WRs that have been drafted Lavernaeus Coles Windrell Hayes and Santana Moss. So that adds up to 14 WR's in 15 years. 103 draftees and only 2 receivers taken in the first 2 rounds Moss and Stephen Hill. Something is wrong guys

What kind of resources did they spend bringing in Holmes and Edwards? 2010 was another year that there was no reason to draft a high round receiver. Also, while not a WRs in name, they used high picks on Keller and now Amaro. Why do Jet fans insist on torturing themselves?

Like every team, they have made bad decisions that did not work out, but they have invested resources.

I'm not oversimplifying or bemoaning anything, all I did was post the names of the WRs that they drafted and where they were drafted-OK I will admit to being a bit sarcastic. But let's just look at some of those "other" names Jonathan Carter, Dante Ridgeway, Harry Williams, Tim Dwight, Wallace Wright, Brad Smith, Chansi Stuckey, David Clowney Danny Woodhead was a WR on 2009 squad, Patrick Turner Derrick Mason, Clyde Gates, Jason Hill, Mardy Gilyard, Chaz Schillens, Tim Tebow, Michael Campbell, Josh Cribbs, Saalim Hakim, Ben Obomanu, Greg Salas, Ryan Spadola.

So for the past decade in Jetsland after the two starters there has been pretty much a total disregard for true NFL level talent Sperm, And, as I looked over those rosters perhaps the biggest oversight has been at the TE position, there has only been a few actual pass catchers that the Jets have had at that position, again over the past decade. Something is wrong and maybe it should be on the guys who are writing the names on the blackboards for the coaches and GMs to evaluate

My point was simply that you were giving it no context, not that the Jets were secretly masters of drafting WRs. If you just say look at who they drafted, you're ignoring the many picks spent to acquire veteran WRs (who then required new contracts, that the Jets then dished out, so it wasn't a matter of ignoring the position as it seems to have been framed).

As to your latter point, it's hard to say as far as the WR evaluation. On the one hand they missed terribly with picks like Hill. On the other hand, they found a relative needle in the haystack with picks like Cotchery (and to a lesser extent, Kerley). They also seemed to know - at times - when to stay away from anyone when the next-best guy (and the one after that) would have been enormous busts (e.g. 2007, after trading up, taking Keller over Donnie Avery, Devin Thomas, James Hardy, Limas Sweed, and other draft-day darlings that everyone now pretends they never wanted. Then again, that same draft, this shrewd bunch took Gholston #6 in the country, and it's hard to imagine a worse draft pick...like ever. 

And Woodhead was never truly a WR, even if he carried the title briefly; his primary position was on special teams, frankly. That you're claiming as much suggests you're basing your angst on paper lists rather than memory of what was going on at the time. Believe it or not, there was a time - a very brief time - in the middle of your list when we had the best WR tandem in the division (Coles+Cotchery). A tandem that would have looked even better with a QB who could throw more than 8 yards without an arch-like trajectory. 

But '04 was a year when we did have depth actually (Moss, McCariens, Chrebet, Cotchery). The following year Moss was swapped for Coles (mock it if you like, but Coles was a Mark Brunell meltdown + Patrick Ramsey season removed from being a pro bowler), still with McCareins, Cotchery, and of course the great Doug Jolley was brought in at TE. A bit later, we had picked up a pair of former first rounders as they were entering what should have been their prime (Edwards & Holmes) and still had Cotchery who should have been in his as well, plus a 1st round TE who (for all his flaws) wasn't a bust himself.

Just saying there's a difference between bad moves, which they made plenty of, and more or less ignoring the position, as it's often framed here (and as your draft list, out of context, seems to frame it). 

and if you go back to when Woody Johnson took over the team there are only 3 more WRs that have been drafted Lavernaeus Coles Windrell Hayes and Santana Moss. So that adds up to 14 WR's in 15 years. 103 draftees and only 2 receivers taken in the first 2 rounds Moss and Stephen Hill. Something is wrong guys

And this is what I'm referring to. Not drafting WRs suggests they didn't add WRs through the draft, even though you know perfectly well they did (#2 McCareins, #3 plus #5 Edwards, #5 Holmes), as well as draft trades to acquire pass-catching TEs (Jolley, Keller).  That some of these were mind-numbingly stupid is not the same as ignoring the position, as you're insinuating.

Archived