The *****OFFICIAL*****Jets Have Released Thread

SoFlaJets

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seriously hope they bring Champ and another CB in to camp. He would be a good Vet presence in the D backfield and has more left in the tank than everyone not named Milliner in our group ever had in theirs to begin with.

I would like to hear this happe by tomorrow morning.

Does anyone know how things went for Champ down in NO?  You have to imagine that Rex is going to have a better source of info than anyone in the league about how Bailey's doing, and there's a good chance that Rob's report on him could play heavily into whether or not the Jets go that route.  Crap like that happens all the time in the NFL and as much as I want the Jets to improve the CB position, if there's a serious reason why NO wanted him gone, it's better for the Jets to know that now.

Does anyone know how things went for Champ down in NO?  You have to imagine that Rex is going to have a better source of info than anyone in the league about how Bailey's doing, and there's a good chance that Rob's report on him could play heavily into whether or not the Jets go that route.  Crap like that happens all the time in the NFL and as much as I want the Jets to improve the CB position, if there's a serious reason why NO wanted him gone, it's better for the Jets to know that now.

Its never a good sign when a team needing corner help drops an old one. 

I seriously hope they bring Champ and another CB in to camp. He would be a good Vet presence in the D backfield and has more left in the tank than everyone not named Milliner in our group ever had in theirs to begin with.

I would like to hear this happe by tomorrow morning.

i agree , maybe we get lucky remember we literaly pulled Brian Cox off the golf course in 98 after Marvin Jones got hurt

Now I'm going to play Worry wart Jets fan, here goes: "Oh great, now the Patriots are going to sign Hill and Brady will throw 10 TD's to him and he'll probably make the pro bowl. If we only had a little more patience". The not funny thing about this is go on over to PFT and read the comments, post just like this are there.

Now I'm going to play Worry wart Jets fan, here goes: "Oh great, now the Patriots are going to sign Hill and Brady will throw 10 TD's to him and he'll probably make the pro bowl. If we only had a little more patience". The not funny thing about this is go on over to PFT and read the comments, post just like this are there.

Hill is one player, like Joe McKnight, that I don't worry about showing up in any Pro Bowls down the road.

I'm sad that we don't have the type of ambitious young posters who will necro old posts of people smugly calling for patience with guys like Hill, btw.

Or, wise old posters who declared him a bust after his first interview -- deciding he was too stupid and brain dead to catch a football.  "Dumb" killed Stephen Hill.

I'm sad that we don't have the type of ambitious young posters who will necro old posts of people smugly calling for patience with guys like Hill, btw.

How about Rich Cimini's article from this morning and his talk about Hill with Wesley Walker?

Sunday notes: Again, Jets whiff on offense
August, 31, 2014
AUG 31
6:00
AM ET

By Rich Cimini 

A few thoughts on the New York Jets as we head into stage II of cutdown weekend: 

1. Swinging and missing: The release of wide receiver Stephen Hill underscored a shortcoming of the Rex Ryan regime -- the inability to develop offensive draft picks. In the first five drafts under Ryan, the Jets picked 19 players on offense, none of whom have developed into anything close to a Pro Bowl player. In fact, three of the four highest-drafted players are gone -- quarterback Mark Sanchez (first round, 2009), lineman Vladimir Ducasse (second, 2010) and Hill (second, 2012). The last hope from those drafts is quarterback Geno Smith (second, 2013). Running back Bilal Powell (fourth, 2011) and wide receiver Jeremy Kerley (fifth, 2011) are nice role players, but they're not game changers. 

There are a few reasons for the drought, namely: Instability (three offensive coordinators), a defensive-minded culture created by Ryan and, of course, questionable drafting. Hill was a big, big miss. He was actually the No. 14 player on their draft board, well ahead of fellow receiverAlshon Jeffery, who was picked by the Chicago Bears two spots after Hill (43rd overall). To be fair, many of the scouting services rated Hill over Jeffery. The Jets' mistake was trading two draft picks to move up and rushing him into the lineup with no fallback option. Hill never was the same after his killer drop as a rookie in New England. 

[+] Enlargeny_a_hill_kh_300x200.jpg
AP Photo/Chris SzagolaThe Jets cut Stephen Hill on Saturday after he mostly struggled during his two seasons with the team.

2. Stephen (Lam) Hill: I ran into former Jets great Wesley Walker at the recent Hofstra practice, and we got to talking about Hill, whose future with the team already was the subject of speculation. Walker's opinion on Hill was clear: Keep him and continue to coach him up. He felt Hill had too many positive traits to be jettisoned after only two years. Walker brought up the name of a former teammate -- Johnny (Lam) Jones. The mere mention of Jones' name is enough to make longtime Jets fans cringe, but Walker didn't mean it in a negative way. He made the comparison because he felt Jones was a talented receiver who never fulfilled his potential because he wasn't properly developed. At least Jones got five years before he was dumped; Hill got only two. 

3. Cornering the market on mistakes: General manager John Idzik deserves to be criticized for his handling of the cornerback situation, especially now that Dimitri (Don't Call Me AWOL) Patterson is a goner, but this whole Darrelle Revis angle is tired. That bridge was burned by both sides, and the Jets weren't interested in repairing it. I didn't criticize Idzik at the time, so I certainly won't second-guess him now. My problem is that his non-Revis plan wasn't any good. In free agency, he identified Patterson as a starting-caliber player even though he had only 20 career starts and had played with six teams in 10 years, wearing out his welcome in most places. (From what I understand, he was considered a diva around the Jets even before he went AWOL.) Instead of doubling down in the draft, Idzik didn't draft a corner until the third round -- the injury-prone Dexter McDougle, who is out for the season. How's it all working out? 

4. Money for nothing: Unless they somehow recoup part of the signing bonus, the Jets wasted $1 million on Patterson, the same amount they wasted on Mike Goodson. Here's another way to look at it: For doing nothing, Patterson gets almost as much money as Muhammad Wilkersongets this year for being the best player on the team -- $1.2 million. That's twisted. 

5. 'Snacks' time is over: As of Saturday night, the Jets' 53-man roster had no undrafted rookies. They're one of only four teams with no UDFAs, according to Brian McIntyre, a contract and analytics expert. It's not all that surprising, considering the Jets didn't spend much in this area. Teams were allocated to spend up to $80,362 in signing bonuses, but the Jets doled out only $4,000, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Defensive end Anthony Grady ($2,500) and fullback Chad Young ($1,500) were the only UDFAs to receive a signing bonus; the other five UDFAs got nothing. Hey, a Damon (Snacks) Harrison doesn't come around every year. 

6. Ex-Champ: The Jets need a cornerback and one of the best corners in recent memory is available, future Hall of Famer Champ Bailey, who was cut by the New Orleans Saints. It brings back memories of a mega trade that never happened. In 2004, former GM Mike Tannenbaum spent a good amount of time at the scouting combine trying to deal for Bailey, whom theWashington Redskins eventually traded to the Denver Broncos. Bailey, 36, has slipped the past two years and probably wouldn't cure the Jets' problem. 

7. No road trips for Rex: Remember last year, when Ryan created a firestorm by taking a trip on cutdown day to visit his son at Clemson? The coach took a lot of unwarranted criticism for that decision, and I think he was taken aback by the fallout. On Friday, he was asked if he was planning to travel to see Clemson at Georgia on Saturday. 

"It’s safe to say if my son was playing in the game, I probably would have been there again," Ryan said. 

Seth Ryan, a wide receiver, is out with a broken collarbone. 

8. Middle-aged Jets: Philly.com did a study of all 32 rosters, as of Saturday night, ranking them based on age. Turns out the Jets are the 13th-youngest team in the league. The average age is 25.85 years, slightly older than last year (25.6, seventh youngest). That's exactly what you'd expect for a team in Year 2 of a rebuilding project. 

9. Milliner on the shelf?: The early rumblings are that cornerback Dee Milliner (high-ankle sprain) won't be ready for the season opener. 

10. Start the countdown: It's seven days to the season opener. Hey, Oakland, do you know who your quarterback is?

I'm not sure. I agree that Rex and Rob have definately been talking though and if there is no call, then we know why.  My whole point is that the guys we have now are pure crap. Hey I also hope Walls will surprise us, but it's unlikely. I would like all the vet help we can get at this point.

I'm not sure. I agree that Rex and Rob have definately been talking though and if there is no call, then we know why.  My whole point is that the guys we have now are pure crap. Hey I also hope Walls will surprise us, but it's unlikely. I would like all the vet help we can get at this point.

Minimally, Champ has lost a couple of steps which is the kiss of death for a CB.  We don't need a converted S, so what is there to talk about?  Dude is pushing 40 years old and battling injuries severe enough to keep him from playing more than a few token pre-season plays.  

Oh whoa what

1. Swinging and missing: The release of wide receiver Stephen Hill underscored a shortcoming of the Rex Ryan regime -- the inability to develop offensive draft picks. In the first five drafts under Ryan, the Jets picked 19 players on offense, none of whom have developed into anything close to a Pro Bowl player. In fact, three of the four highest-drafted players are gone -- quarterback Mark Sanchez (first round, 2009), lineman Vladimir Ducasse (second, 2010) and Hill (second, 2012). The last hope from those drafts is quarterback Geno Smith (second, 2013). Running back Bilal Powell (fourth, 2011) and wide receiver Jeremy Kerley (fifth, 2011) are nice role players, but they're not game changers.

There are a few reasons for the drought, namely: Instability (three offensive coordinators), a defensive-minded culture created by Ryan and, of course, questionable drafting. Hill was a big, big miss. He was actually the No. 14 player on their draft board, well ahead of fellow receiverAlshon Jeffery, who was picked by the Chicago Bears two spots after Hill (43rd overall). To be fair, many of the scouting services rated Hill over Jeffery. The Jets' mistake was trading two draft picks to move up and rushing him into the lineup with no fallback option. Hill never was the same after his killer drop as a rookie in New England.

Everyone played against the #2's in philly and looked crap. Based on that argument Salas shouldn't have made it. And as far as i can recall that's all he did all preseason. Played against the 2's. Heck Saunders looked crap in garbage time playing against the 3's. Enunwa wasnt even on the field for a single snap.

Based on your arguments that other three should have been shown the door first. But all the other three made the team. Go figure!

Hill didn't get better.  you cut guys who don't get better. 

Oh whoa what

There are a few reasons for the drought, namely: Instability (three offensive coordinators), a defensive-minded culture created by Ryan and, of course, questionable drafting

why are you making excuses for Rex ?

Bad hands or terrible hands or whatever the opinion du jour is on his play he was able to contribute on the field against top notch competition from the opposition.  Which is what no one can say about 4 WR's that made this team in the WR quota.

The JETS don't have super talent filled WR roster. No one else has stepped up and played any better. None of the 3 rookies stepped up and they don't deserve a place on the final roster based on their performance alone. Its a good thing on rookie could be IRed because he sure as hell wasn't cutting it in training camp.Enunwa has not even stepped on the field and made a single positive play. He sure might have to be developed but he could have been developed from the PS

To me the current roster has to display the best you have got to offer NOW. That's not the case right now .Plus we lose a contributor and deny ourselves the opportunity to see if came thru or got better right at the cusp of when WR's are supposed to break out. Very disappointing.

That's all i have to say on this. I am out. Have a good night.

That's really not a case for Hill. He didn't contribute, he just lined up with the 1s and failed to contribute. He's been a starter for two years. Over that time, he's shown a couple of flashes, but no consistency. No fight for the football. No sign of his two greatest attributes - size and speed. I was one of the people here you could necro posts from calling for patience with the guy, but he needed to take a major leap this year. He didn't.

I'll give you the complaints about nearly all of Idzik's picks either making the roster or the IR. I'm gonna wait and see what the roster looks like in a couple days before I get too worked up, but guys like George, Reilly, and Enunwa could've pretty easily been cut and slipped onto the practice squad. A guy like Edds should've made it over the drafted LBs, IMHO. I've already speculated that he's holding onto those bubble guys for his own waiver wire pickups -waiting for other teams to settle their rosters- before cutting and stashing them. We'll see. Right now, it looks like too much draft pick favoritism to me, too. If it stays the same, and the Jets add Boyd to the practice squad over Simms, I imagine heads will explode. Lol.

That's really not a case for Hill. He didn't contribute, he just lined up with the 1s and failed to contribute. He's been a starter for two years. Over that time, he's shown a couple of flashes, but no consistency. No fight for the football. No sign of his two greatest attributes - size and speed. I was one of the people here you could necro posts from calling for patience with the guy, but he needed to take a major leap this year. He didn't.

I'll give you the complaints about nearly all of Idzik's picks either making the roster or the IR. I'm gonna wait and see what the roster looks like in a couple days before I get too worked up, but guys like George, Reilly, and Enunwa could've pretty easily been cut and slipped onto the practice squad. A guy like Edds should've made it over the drafted LBs, IMHO. I've already speculated that he's holding onto those bubble guys for his own waiver wire pickups -waiting for other teams to settle their rosters- before cutting and stashing them. We'll see. Right now, it looks like too much draft pick favoritism to me, too. If it stays the same, and the Jets add Boyd to the practice squad over Simms, I imagine heads will explode. Lol.

All true about Hill but this year hasn't started as yet. Hill was a project and the JETS had to show some patience. They didn't. And its not like the roster is stashed with Pro Bowlers at WR. That's what has me disappointed. If our rookie WR's were lighting it up I wouldn't mind the JETS moving forward.

My take is you want to get someone to the PS a guys like say Enunwa your opportunity is by waiving them early. Now if he is waived in favor of some other WR it will definitely have a lot more teams looking at him. The final team while we might see a couple of changes today still  looks heavily in favor of draft picks. A few of them could have easily been on the PS.

Bad hands or terrible hands or whatever the opinion du jour is on his play he was able to contribute on the field against top notch competition from the opposition.  Which is what no one can say about 4 WR's that made this team in the WR quota.

The JETS don't have super talent filled WR roster. No one else has stepped up and played any better. None of the 3 rookies stepped up and they don't deserve a place on the final roster based on their performance alone. Its a good thing on rookie could be IRed because he sure as hell wasn't cutting it in training camp.Enunwa has not even stepped on the field and made a single positive play. He sure might have to be developed but he could have been developed from the PS

To me the current roster has to display the best you have got to offer NOW. That's not the case right now .Plus we lose a contributor and deny ourselves the opportunity to see if came thru or got better right at the cusp of when WR's are supposed to break out. Very disappointing.

That's all i have to say on this. I am out. Have a good night.

Could not disagree more with this post

Minimally, Champ has lost a couple of steps which is the kiss of death for a CB.  We don't need a converted S, so what is there to talk about?  Dude is pushing 40 years old and battling injuries severe enough to keep him from playing more than a few token pre-season plays.  

That's bad?   :D

I know it's a peripheral thing that doesn't need to have a tangible effect on the team, but the media-at-large is gearing up to go in hard on Idzik if/when the team struggles early. He gave them non-answers on Dimitri Patterson yesterday, then denied giving his draft picks preference during cut downs. He sounded exactly like Sandy Alderson yesterday. Idzik's honeymoon period with the beat guys is pretty much over now. Homeboy better hope Derek Carr dies on Sunday.

This Jets board is assuming a victory Sunday.  First game of the year, nobody really knows how good the teams are this season, and this board collectively is acting like all the Jets have to do is show up Sunday.  I would detect a whiff of upset in the air, but the smell of overconfidence is beating it out.

Archived