NY Jets will have to live with mistake of not bringing Darrelle Revis back

Ken Schroy

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't get how any of you can still look at Revis, and call him the greedy pig? Seriously, the NFL, and it's owners are the most greedy I'm the sports businesses, and some how keep getting fans like some of you to turn on a HOF possible all time great because he wants his deserved piece of the pie, and used the owners own tactics against them.

Because he broke or threatened to break every contract he signed after holding out to get those contracts?

Because he broke or threatened to break every contract he signed after holding out to get those contracts?

not for nothing but revis' first holdout had a lot to do with tanny trying to sign him on his rookie deal for an extra year,which was out of the ordinary. tanny held out for that extra year just like revis held out for more money. second hold out came after the best single season any corner back ever had.ever! he was the best and wanted to be paid like the best. I didn't agree with it, since crazy azz al davis set the tone at the time. just a perfect storm. I don't remember revis "threatening" to hold out again. I believed he was asked if he would, like every week if I remember correctly, and he said he doesn't know. not really the felony of threats

All this talk about if he would have signed or not is really missing the point.  The point is if a CB is worth over 13mil a year (Jets would have had to top 13 mil at least - no discounts with this one) especially if your team lacks a franchise QB and has holes in skill positions on offense.  My vote would have been no thanks as well.

Besides we still don't even know if Revis will return to his former skill level its been years.

not for nothing but revis' first holdout had a lot to do with tanny trying to sign him on his rookie deal for an extra year,which was out of the ordinary. tanny held out for that extra year just like revis held out for more money. second hold out came after the best single season any corner back ever had.ever! he was the best and wanted to be paid like the best. I didn't agree with it, since crazy azz al davis set the tone at the time. just a perfect storm. I don't remember revis "threatening" to hold out again. I believed he was asked if he would, like every week if I remember correctly, and he said he doesn't know. not really the felony of threats

I don't care why, he held out, that's what I said. He held out of his first deal with two years left on it. He wanted 6 years, the Jets wanted to give him 5 and he held out after 4. Doesn't make a difference how well he played, if he didn't play up to his rookie deal would he have given money back? He was set to opt out of his last deal, that's why he was traded. Everyone knows it, that's why he wanted it in the deal.

You're making excuses for him.

He was a great player for the Jets but Revis is what he is.

and guess what Mr. TheJetsCanDoNothingRightInMyJetsHatingEyes Myers w/o having to mention the whole hindsight /% thing, none of us Jets fans even WANTED the cry baby Revis back. It's his me-first attitude that has plagued this team for years especially during the Ryan era. We finally ridded ourselves of Santonio and Derrick Mason and the rest of the trouble makers and a major disruptor LIKE Darrell Revis is not what we need at this point in time.Frankly, we the Jets Nation fans have had enough of his yearly I want more $$$ holdouts, we wanted change and with the latest GM, we are finally getting it. I will be very happy to throw it back in your face when the step or two slower Revis pulls another hammy trying to chase down a fleet receiver and ends up back on the injury charts.

Gary Myers is a duck-lipped douche. And let me go on record now as thinking that Mr. Revis will miss games this year in NE. Just cannot pay CBs stupid money

Revis is a hall of fame player. Hall of Fame players cost money. the Jets don't want to spend money. They thought it would be better to sign Dimitri Patterson instead. And here we are. 

This is all on the Jets for letting their best drafted player since Willy in 1969 go to the team's most bitter rival. 

and if you think it's a dead horse or old news, just wait. There are scads of casual Jets fans who are going to be shocked when they play New England. 

I love how you and Gary Myers ignore reality. 

hard to believe how many people believe revis, mehta, myers and uncle seans version of events. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/36473/a-revis-reunion-ha-turns-into-nightmare

In the end, Darrelle Revis preferred to play for a coach he once called a “jerk” than for a general manager he branded a liar.

What does that make Revis?

The New York Jets-Revis relationship and the Jets-New England Patriots rivalry took another crazy turn Wednesday night with the news that Revis Island is moving to the Bay State. Less than four hours after he was fired by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the star cornerback ran to the Hoodie in New England, agreeing to a one-year, $12 million contract with the Patriots.

It surely is a nightmare for Jets Nation, seeing one of the best players in team history join forces with the Evil Empire to the northeast. It was a brilliant move by Patriots coach Bill Belichick, doling out a steep, but not-so-outrageous contract for one of the top corners in the NFL -- a move that has Jets fans asking, “Why didn’t we sign him?”

Don’t beat yourself up. It was never going to happen. Not ever.

Revis never wanted to return to the Jets; it was always the Patriots. He started thinking about the Patriots a year ago, when his bitter divorce from the Jets became imminent. It took him a year to reach his desired destination, enduring one miserable, but profitable ($16 million) season in Tampa, but he’s in position now to haunt the Jets, collect a bunch of money and maybe reach the Super Bowl.

When his release from the Bucs became inevitable, Revis’ people created a smokescreen, leaking half-truths about how he was “in love” with the idea of rejoining the Jets. They knew it would send the fans into a tizzy, screaming for Revis 2.0. It was a transparent public relations ploy, giving the fan base false hope and creating p, with talk of a reunion. In fact, there were no substantive talks. Revis’ agent reached out to a Jets staffer, believed to be via text -- and it went no further than that. It never got to general manager John Idzik.

And that was the so-called discussion.

The Jets most certainly need a No. 1 cornerback, and maybe they deserve some criticism for not making a push to re-sign Revis. But it would’ve been moot anyway, because Revis Inc. wasn’t about to sign on the dotted line -- unless they offered $14 million. And that would’ve been ridiculous.

Sure, he would’ve listened, but only as a means of squeezing more loot out of the Patriots. If Revis was so in love with the idea of returning to the Jets, why did it take him only three-plus hours to accept the Patriots’ offer?

He didn’t want the Jets. They didn’t want him. Basically, nothing changed from last spring, when irreconcilable differences led to the trade. After the trade, Revis called out Idzik, saying the GM told him “a lie” about the organization’s plans for him Make no mistake, the Jets talked internally about Revis over the past couple of days. Coach Rex Ryan wanted him back, of course, but the feeling in the organization was that it didn’t want to take a chance on messing up the positive vibe it created at the end of last season. The Jets have a great deal of respect for Revis the player, but they didn’t want to deal with an annual contract drama from Revis Inc.

That he ends up with Belichick is ironic because, in a March 2012 interview at ESPN studios, he slammed the Patriots’ coach. In a word-association game, he called Belichick a “jerk.” A few weeks later, talking to reporters at the Jets’ facility, Revis piled on, making more unflattering comments about the coach.

And now they’re buds, Darrelle and Bill, united in their desire to torment the Jets. You have to hand it to the Patriots. Less than 24 hours after losing Aqib Talib, they replaced him with a better cornerback. Revis wasn’t Revis last season -- “He looked mortal to me,” a longtime personnel executive said -- but he was coming off ACL surgery. He should be a better player in 2014, and you know he’ll do something to make Jets fans want to throw up in their beer cups.

Such is the Jets-Patriots rivalry. The Jets stole Bill Parcells and Curtis Martin, and the Patriots got Belichick and now Revis.

Jets fans have a right to be sick over this, but there’s no reason to be mad. They made a decision a year ago to abandon Revis Island. They’re happy with the early results. As for Revis, he’s turning into the most expensive rental in NFL history, a millionaire mercenary.

hard to believe how many people believe revis, mehta, myers and uncle seans version of events. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/36473/a-revis-reunion-ha-turns-into-nightmare

In the end, Darrelle Revis preferred to play for a coach he once called a “jerk” than for a general manager he branded a liar.

The New York Jets-Revis relationship and the Jets-New England Patriots rivalry took another crazy turn Wednesday night with the news that Revis Island is moving to the Bay State. Less than four hours after he was fired by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the star cornerback ran to the Hoodie in New England, agreeing to a one-year, $12 million contract with the Patriots.

It surely is a nightmare for Jets Nation, seeing one of the best players in team history join forces with the Evil Empire to the northeast. It was a brilliant move by Patriots coach Bill Belichick, doling out a steep, but not-so-outrageous contract for one of the top corners in the NFL -- a move that has Jets fans asking, “Why didn’t we sign him?”

Revis never wanted to return to the Jets; it was always the Patriots. He started thinking about the Patriots a year ago, when his bitter divorce from the Jets became imminent. It took him a year to reach his desired destination, enduring one miserable, but profitable ($16 million) season in Tampa, but he’s in position now to haunt the Jets, collect a bunch of money and maybe reach the Super Bowl.

When his release from the Bucs became inevitable, Revis’ people created a smokescreen, leaking half-truths about how he was “in love” with the idea of rejoining the Jets. They knew it would send the fans into a tizzy, screaming for Revis 2.0. It was a transparent public relations ploy, giving the fan base false hope and creating p, with talk of a reunion. In fact, there were no substantive talks. Revis’ agent reached out to a Jets staffer, believed to be via text -- and it went no further than that. It never got to general manager John Idzik.

The Jets most certainly need a No. 1 cornerback, and maybe they deserve some criticism for not making a push to re-sign Revis. But it would’ve been moot anyway, because Revis Inc. wasn’t about to sign on the dotted line -- unless they offered $14 million. And that would’ve been ridiculous.

Sure, he would’ve listened, but only as a means of squeezing more loot out of the Patriots. If Revis was so in love with the idea of returning to the Jets, why did it take him only three-plus hours to accept the Patriots’ offer?

He didn’t want the Jets. They didn’t want him. Basically, nothing changed from last spring, when irreconcilable differences led to the trade. After the trade, Revis called out Idzik, saying the GM told him “a lie” about the organization’s plans for him Make no mistake, the Jets talked internally about Revis over the past couple of days. Coach Rex Ryan wanted him back, of course, but the feeling in the organization was that it didn’t want to take a chance on messing up the positive vibe it created at the end of last season. The Jets have a great deal of respect for Revis the player, but they didn’t want to deal with an annual contract drama from Revis Inc.

That he ends up with Belichick is ironic because, in a March 2012 interview at ESPN studios, he slammed the Patriots’ coach. In a word-association game, he called Belichick a “jerk.” A few weeks later, talking to reporters at the Jets’ facility, Revis piled on, making more unflattering comments about the coach.

And now they’re buds, Darrelle and Bill, united in their desire to torment the Jets. You have to hand it to the Patriots. Less than 24 hours after losing Aqib Talib, they replaced him with a better cornerback. Revis wasn’t Revis last season -- “He looked mortal to me,” a longtime personnel executive said -- but he was coming off ACL surgery. He should be a better player in 2014, and you know he’ll do something to make Jets fans want to throw up in their beer cups.

Such is the Jets-Patriots rivalry. The Jets stole Bill Parcells and Curtis Martin, and the Patriots got Belichick and now Revis.

Jets fans have a right to be sick over this, but there’s no reason to be mad. They made a decision a year ago to abandon Revis Island. They’re happy with the early results. As for Revis, he’s turning into the most expensive rental in NFL history, a millionaire mercenary.

Based on the Jets dealings with Revis and his agents, the Pats had to be talking to Revis' people before he got cut by the Bucs. There is no way that deal came together that fast. 

Based on the Jets dealings with Revis and his agents, the Pats had to be talking to Revis' people before he got cut by the Bucs. There is no way that deal came together that fast. 

agreed.  there is 0% chance he was coming to the jets.  they were using the jets as a stalking horse to drive up NE's offer.  idzik knew this and didn't bite

Sometimes to not have to put up with a player complaining about his contract and holding out- you take a player/s with less ability but the right attitude for the team sake

Revis' attitude was always awesome. In the locker room he was a leader and a winner. This is not Santonio Holmes we are talking about. He wasn't a team cancer. From management's perspective he was a problem, from the locker room perspective he was a keystone.

The guy made so many plays. Game winning plays. It happened multiple times a season, every season. 

These stories the team tells about how they are better off without him, is pure spin. This team could have traded Revis to the Bucs, drafted Richardson and then signed Revis back in 1 year. It would have been a coup. Instead they have no good corners and 20 mil in cap space.

How is this better? It's better for Woody that's about it. 

sheldon good

the point is he had a deal with the past in place, was using the jets and lied to the media

"idzik was too cheap to sign him" is a myth

We can believe the Pats and Revis' agents had a deal worked out, and that's probably true. The Jets were never in that conversation.

But they could have been. 

Idzik doesn't have the juice in the organization to sign Revis, even if he wanted to.

Idzik was hired to do a job. And the first task was trade Revis. 

It's Woody who had no interest in keeping him or signing him. 

Over the years we've blamed Tanny and Idzik and whoever else but it's Woody who makes that call. 

There's a hierarchy in this business and signing a check that big is a Woody level decision (and it always has been). 

Woody has had it out for Revis from the get go. Not sure why. Maybe it's endless struggle between capital and labor. 

I don't care why, he held out, that's what I said. He held out of his first deal with two years left on it. He wanted 6 years, the Jets wanted to give him 5 and he held out after 4. Doesn't make a difference how well he played, if he didn't play up to his rookie deal would he have given money back? He was set to opt out of his last deal, that's why he was traded. Everyone knows it, that's why he wanted it in the deal.

You're making excuses for him.

He was a great player for the Jets but Revis is what he is.

lets get this straight. I am not making excuses for him. at all. it wasn't just a cut and dry" greedy player holdout". there is more to the story.i wasn't happy for the holdout, it is what it is. in hindsight, revis would be a welcomed edition to the team, considering the current cb situation is a train wreck, pain in the ass be damned

We can believe the Pats and Revis' agents had a deal worked out, and that's probably true. The Jets were never in that conversation.

Idzik doesn't have the juice in the organization to sign Revis, even if he wanted to.

Over the years we've blamed Tanny and Idzik and whoever else but it's Woody who makes that call. 

There's a hierarchy in this business and signing a check that big is a Woody level decision (and it always has been). 

Woody has had it out for Revis from the get go. Not sure why. Maybe it's endless struggle between capital and labor. 

Well, I've got to hand it to you, bit. You've now managed to defend Idzik while insulting him at the same time.

I don't think Woody hates Revis. I think he hates Revis' agents because they do not negotiate in good faith. This is pretty well documented. 

You can try and twist it into a labor vs. management issue but its not close to being that in any way. It's a battle between a billionaire and millionaire's millionaire representatives. 

and we are to believe this writers opinion because it fits your argument?

Sometimes to not have to put up with a player complaining about his contract and holding out- you take a player/s with less ability but the right attitude for the team sake

there is a big different between less ability and no ability. as of right now, mcdougle and Patterson have "no" ability

lets get this straight. I am not making excuses for him. at all. it wasn't just a cut and dry" greedy player holdout". there is more to the story.i wasn't happy for the holdout, it is what it is. in hindsight, revis would be a welcomed edition to the team, considering the current cb situation is a train wreck, pain in the ass be damned

Yes you are, you're saying there were reasons he held out of a 6 year deal in year 4. I love the way the guy played for us. But he's a money hungry, pay me first player who has never felt compelled to honor his deal.

trading him in the first place is a closed debate.  my point is the myth of idzik not re-signing revis is BS propaganda put out by revis and repeated by tabloid writers

the jets could not have been in the discussion.  revis was working on going to the pats for a year.  he tried to use the jets and they smartly didn't fall for it

Archived