NY Jets will have to live with mistake of not bringing Darrelle Revis back

Ken Schroy

and we are to believe this writers opinion because it fits your argument?

no, mehta myers and uncle sean are more reliable. 

the facts are his agent texted a staffer to float bait to get the jets to jump into the ring.  if revis made a list and the jets were on top of it, his agent would have called idzik on the telephone

simple logic

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, of course not. The Patriots are the model of a virtuous franchise who would never do anything underhanded ever.

By the way, I've got a bridge for sale you might be interested in. Deal of the century, my friend. 

I heard they met on the shoulder of the highway in krafty's car

no, mehta myers and uncle sean are more reliable. 

the facts are his agent texted a staffer to float bait to get the jets to jump into the ring.  if revis made a list and the jets were on top of it, his agent would have called idzik on the telephone

simple logic

this is 100% pure speculation

Yes you are, you're saying there were reasons he held out of a 6 year deal in year 4. I love the way the guy played for us. But he's a money hungry, pay me first player who has never felt compelled to honor his deal.

honestly, I don't why I am responding to this, but here I am. once again, its not as cut and dry as you make it. the truth of the matter is, tanny approached revis with wanting to give him a raise. the amount of the raise is what the hold out was for. if the truth is me making excuses for revis actions, then I guess I am guilty. if a 4 year player coming off of the best season any player ever had ,ever,at his position doesn't deserve to be the top paid guy, I don't know what to tell ya. now I don't agree to the amount of money revis was seeking, but he didn't exactly pull that number out of thin air, did he. so to that extent, I understand revis' point in the holdout

Jets fans have a right to be sick over this, but there’s no reason to be mad. They made a decision a year ago to abandon Revis Island. They’re happy with the early results.

You realize that Darrin Walls and Antonio Allen are our starting corners week 1, right? That's assuming Allen is even cleared. If he's not, it's probably Walls and Lankster. If they're happy with the results, then they're delusional.

nobody disputes there was contact, but not with idzik.  that is not speculation.

I am sure the phone call went something like this.

"hello, new York jets speaking"

" this is revis agent. he is interested in becoming a jet again.can I talk to john idzik,please?"

" I will have him call you back. click"

the fact of the matter is is that revis could have been using the jets to up his price or he could have have sincerely wanted to come back. revis is a shrewd,smart business man and one hell of a corner. he knows his corner career probably has a few years left to it. it would make sense to me that revis wanted to finish his career in the big apple, with bigger things on the horizon after football. I believe new England was his second choice and fallback option, with possibly a contract set in place already. after a 5 hour waite after the revis phone call, it became appearent that the jets had zero interest. now revis is a patriot. it could just as easily happened how I said

"

I am sure the phone call went something like this.

"hello, new York jets speaking"

" this is revis agent. he is interested in becoming a jet again.can I talk to john idzik,please?"

" I will have him call you back. click"

the fact of the matter is is that revis could have been using the jets to up his price or he could have have sincerely wanted to come back. revis is a shrewd,smart business man and one hell of a corner. he knows his corner career probably has a few years left to it. it would make sense to me that revis wanted to finish his career in the big apple, with bigger things on the horizon after football. I believe new England was his second choice and fallback option, with possibly a contract set in place already. after a 5 hour waite after the revis phone call, it became appearent that the jets had zero interest. now revis is a patriot. it could just as easily happened how I said

"

so you can speculate, but I can't

cool

You realize that Darrin Walls and Antonio Allen are our starting corners week 1, right? That's assuming Allen is even cleared. If he's not, it's probably Walls and Lankster. If they're happy with the results, then they're delusional.

check the date on the article

honestly, I don't why I am responding to this, but here I am. once again, its not as cut and dry as you make it. the truth of the matter is, tanny approached revis with wanting to give him a raise. the amount of the raise is what the hold out was for. if the truth is me making excuses for revis actions, then I guess I am guilty. if a 4 year player coming off of the best season any player ever had ,ever,at his position doesn't deserve to be the top paid guy, I don't know what to tell ya. now I don't agree to the amount of money revis was seeking, but he didn't exactly pull that number out of thin air, did he. so to that extent, I understand revis' point in the holdout

You keep explaining why he held out to tell me he didn't hold out or to justify it. My statements are true, he held out

I don't know why you keep making excuses, I could care less why he held out, he held out twice and was going to opt out a third time.

You keep explaining why he held out to tell me he didn't hold out or to justify it. My statements are true, he held out

I don't know why you keep making excuses, I could care less why he held out, he held out twice and was going to opt out a third time.

agree. Forget 16m yearly salary, big deal. Its all about the upfront signing bonus these days. So when a Team gives a [player say 15M signing bonus expecting say 3 years service, and then the player holds out before 3rd year, the team isnt getting the 3rd year for the bonus money they ALREADY paid and the player getting interest on. Saying he wants higher salary is a Straw Mna to get ANOTHER upfront signing bonus.

I think the owners need ot get a rule passed that when a player holds out (which is fine, go ahead) , the player has to pay back the % of signing bonus they arent fulfilling. Players know bonuses are real salary now since salary isnt paid if they arent on Week 1 roster.

You gotta stop man. You can't blame Idzik for injuries. Yeah, okay, Patterson didn't work out. Bad call on his part, but oh well, they still have two better options than Walls and Lankster, and they're both hurt. Sh*t happens. 

Two players were megastars at the time they wanted to renegotiate their contract (Keyshawn and Revis) with Woody and the Jets.

Both players had two years left on their deal.

Both players were traded. Fact.

The circumstances are not very different at all. Both were promised more money by management/coaching in the future. When that future came, that management was suddenly gone and so were those players.

Woody is more involved with the team than he lets on. He is more shrew about it than say Jerry Jones - but the management of this team, and especially it's megastars has been consistent since he took over.

agree. Forget 16m yearly salary, big deal. Its all about the upfront signing bonus these days. So when a Team gives a [player say 15M signing bonus expecting say 3 years service, and then the player holds out before 3rd year, the team isnt getting the 3rd year for the bonus money they ALREADY paid and the player getting interest on. Saying he wants higher salary is a Straw Mna to get ANOTHER upfront signing bonus.

I think the owners need ot get a rule passed that when a player holds out (which is fine, go ahead) , the player has to pay back the % of signing bonus they arent fulfilling. Players know bonuses are real salary now since salary isnt paid if they arent on Week 1 roster.

Exactly, Revis collected 4'years salary off of his initial deal. Even if his yearly salary at that point was below what he could get and did get, did he give back any of his initial bonus? It was a bonus that was supposed to be part of a 6 year deal, not a 4 year deal. Have to calculate that money into his deal.

And? Injuries happen. If they threw big dollars on Revis and another CB and they were injured like Milliner and McDougle that would make more sense and make it all ok?

Having one or two injured big name corners and no cap would be better? How?

Exactly, Revis collected 4'years salary off of his initial deal. Even if his yearly salary at that point was below what he could get and did get, did he give back any of his initial bonus? It was a bonus that was supposed to be part of a 6 year deal, not a 4 year deal. Have to calculate that money into his deal.

That's exactly what Revis was doing. That's why he drew the line in the sand at that point. He was paid like a top 5 corner those last two years, which he also played like. The next years money was way too low for a player of his stature.

And? Injuries happen. If they threw big dollars on Revis and another CB and they were injured like Milliner and McDougle that would make more sense and make it all ok?

Having one or two injured big name corners and no cap would be better? How?

Any player the Jets signed or drafted could have been had in addition to Revis. It's not like it was a choice between Revis and McDougle. If you got Revis and he, McDougle, Millner, and anyone else got hurt then it would just be bad luck and other things. But no one could criticize the Jets of not trying in that situation like they can now.

That's exactly what Revis was doing. That's why he drew the line in the sand at that point. He was paid like a top 5 corner those last two years, which he also played like. The next years money was way too low for a player of his stature.

They do it all the time. Sign a 6 year deal for say 60 mil with bonus money, stagger the payments, big bucks within the first 4 years and as soon as they hit a season where they aren't being paid huge money they cry that they're the 32nd highest paid player at a position. Even if the 60 mil deal put them at the top of the heap.

Any player the Jets signed or drafted could have been had in addition to Revis. It's not like it was a choice between Revis and McDougle. If you got Revis and he, McDougle, Millner, and anyone else got hurt then it would just be bad luck and other things. But no one could criticize the Jets of not trying in that situation like they can now.

Doesn't answer the question.

No matter who they expected to play alongside Revis or who they drafted, if Revis blew his knee out and Milliner sprained his ankle how would it be any better than what's going on now?

How is it bad luck with Revis, not with McDougle and Milliner?

They do it all the time. Sign a 6 year deal for say 60 mil with bonus money, stagger the payments, big bucks within the first 4 years and as soon as they hit a season where they aren't being paid huge money they cry that they're the 32nd highest paid player at a position. Even if the 60 mil deal put them at the top of the heap.

Was Revis at any point in his tenure with the Jets overpaid, including year 4 of his 6 year rookie contract, including bonus amortized over only 4 years?

The year he tore his ACL obviously does not count as being overpaid since injury is kind of part of the deal and he was playing like a top 5 corner up until that point. Regardless, he proved his point as being worth that money the next two seasons.

The point in time that Revis wanted a new deal and was traded, there was one year left on his deal.

Are you angry because he held out from a rookie contract a year early? He was being talked about as a top 10 player in the entire league at that time, let alone the top player at his position. 

Doesn't answer the question.

No matter who they expected to play alongside Revis or who they drafted, if Revis blew his knee out and Milliner sprained his ankle how would it be any better than what's going on now?

How is it bad luck with Revis, not with McDougle and Milliner?

Because McDougle and Millner are not Revis. Last I checked anyway. They are not even DRC at this point. 

Because McDougle and Millner are not Revis. Last I checked anyway. They are not even DRC at this point.

What is you're friggen point? We would have been watching the same two corners against the raiders.

Angry, no. Are you so in love with Revis that you think because you love him his holdout isn't really a holdout? That was the point, apparently you can't get past that. You continue to argue that his holdout was justified. Which doesn't make my comment that he held out wrong. Just as it doesn't make your silly response that I rewrote history and more right, it's not.

And one more time, read it slow, it's not what you're paid in a particular year, it's the entire contract. If you sign a deal that pays you well and they front load the deal, to your benefit, and then at the end of the deal your salary isn't in the top of the league, you're not underpaid.

This can't be that hard.

What is you're friggen point? We would have been watching the same two corners against the raiders.

Angry, no. Are you so in love with Revis that you think because you love him his holdout isn't really a holdout? That was the point, apparently you can't get past that. You continue to argue that his holdout was justified.

And one more time, read it slow, it's not what you're paid in a particular year, it's the entire contract. If you sign a deal that pays you well and they front load the deal, to your benefit, and then at the end of the deal your salary isn't in the top of the league, you're not underpaid.

This can't be that hard.

So following your theory, the Jets should always depend on second tier, injury prone players because superstars get injured too?

Just about every player renegotiates with one year left on their deal. One year left really isn't a hold out. Two years left it is less normal. At that point Revis was WAY underpaid.

Just answer the question: What year are you mad about Revis being overpaid as a Jet? I'm very aware of how contracts work. They are treated in an accrual manner. Even considering this, none of the years Revis played for the Jets was he overpaid. His concern was that he was going to be way underpaid in the remaining years, hence the hold out.

So following your theory, the Jets should always depend on second tier, injury prone players because superstars get injured too?

Just about every player renegotiates with one year left on their deal. One year left really isn't a hold out. Two years left it is less normal. At that point Revis was WAY underpaid.

Just answer the question: What year are you mad about Revis being overpaid as a Jet? I'm very aware of how contracts work. They are treated in an accrual manner. Even considering this, none of the years Revis played for the Jets was he overpaid. His concern was that he was going to be way underpaid in the remaining years, hence the hold out.

Who cares if he was overpaid or underpaid? I said he held out, who give a damn why. He held out. Who cares that you think it was fine, you miss your guy, we get it.

Are you serious, no one could struggle this much for something this easy to understand

Who cares if he was overpaid or underpaid? I said he held out, who give a damn why. He held out. Who cares that you think it was fine, you miss your guy, we get it.

Are you serious, no one could struggle this much for something this easy to understand

Yes he held out once because he was underpaid. You are the one who started pointing out numerical reasons for why it was wrong for Revis to do this.. I asked you what years you were concerned about him being overpaid. You insult me. This conversation is over. I'm not sure why you are so concerned with this when it's not your money AND owners break contracts all the time as well. But I don't really care why either.

Revis was a total team player and a great teammate. The Jets treated him unfair and painted him with the same paint they used on Keyshawn Johnson.

I have proven my point. Revis, like Keyshawn was too big and expensive for Woody. Woody doesn't like paying players like they are top 10 players in the league, even when they play as such. 

This isn't about me not getting my favorite player, this is about the Jets screwing up the team.

dude, you act like everyone is missing your point. we get it. revis held out twice. you are correct. 100%. we are just saying there is more to the story besides greedy ol revis' bank account, is all

dude, you act like everyone is missing your point. we get it. revis held out twice. you are correct. 100%. we are just saying there is more to the story besides greedy ol revis' bank account, is all

Whether there was anything behind the story isn't the point. I said he held out twice and was on his way to a third out and was told I was rewriting history. Really? I didn't ask for reasons, could care less, wasn't criticizing him, it's his choice. How many times can someone write back starting with but.... Did you even bother to read what I wrote and you quoted?

Does anyone in this thread read or just argue for the sake of arguing.

Whether there was anything behind the story isn't the point. I said he held out twice and was on his way to a third out and was told I was rewriting history. Really? I didn't ask for reasons, could care less, wasn't criticizing him, it's his choice. How many times can someone write back starting with but.... Did you even bother to read what I wrote and you quoted?

Does anyone in this thread read or just argue for the sake of arguing.

who cares if he held out?    Jets could have "rented" him for $13M and then parted ways.   Instead we'll have $21M of cap space starting at CB this weekend.  

Archived