NY Jets will have to live with mistake of not bringing Darrelle Revis back

Ken Schroy

PLEASSSSSEE!!!!!, If the Jets had signed Revis everyone of you guys would be stumbling over each other to get a shot at polishing your GM's hairy beanbag.

Truth is I think Idzik manscapes.    Trading him for the DROY seem pretty fair to me.    We are no were near making a run to make his salary worth it.  Truth is he belongs on a team like New England who are ready to make a run.  Too expensive for a rebuilding team.  

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truth is I think Idzik manscapes.    Trading him for the DROY seem pretty fair to me.    We are no were near making a run to make his salary worth it.  Truth is he belongs on a team like New England who are ready to make a run.  Too expensive for a rebuilding team.  

Fair enough, but there is still no excuse in my mind for not doing something to improve the Jets secondary. There were players that could have helped, both now and in long term, the Jets had the cap space and still did nothing. Watch just how quickly the fan base turns on Idziik in a few short weeks when the delusional come to understand they won't be playoff bound or even very competitive.   

Fair enough, but there is still no excuse in my mind for not doing something to improve the Jets secondary. There were players that could have helped, both now and in long term, the Jets had the cap space and still did nothing. Watch just how quickly the fan base turns on Idziik in a few short weeks when the delusional come to understand they won't be playoff bound or even very competitive.   

I challenge you to not post the word "delusional" for 2 days. I don't think you can do it. 

Oh... and 

tom-brady-unicorn-brady-wussy.jpg

I feel we did.  We drafter Pryor and McDougle.  McDougle looked great before he blew out his ACL. I know I know.  He was injury prone, But I struggle to think his previous shoulder injury had anything to do with his knee.  Milliner looked good at the end of last year.  Not saying another FA DB would have not been nice but I don;t feel we did nothing.  If nobody got hurt we would probably not be talking about this.  Your no stranger to having your season snake bitten by injuries.  Patriots have done some serious patch work in an injured secondary over the years.  

I feel we did.  We drafter Pryor and McDougle.  McDougle looked great before he blew out his ACL. I know I know.  He was injury prone, But I struggle to think his previous shoulder injury had anything to do with his knee.  Milliner looked good at the end of last year.  Not saying another FA DB would have not been nice but I don;t feel we did nothing.  If nobody got hurt we would probably not be talking about this.  Your no stranger to having your season snake bitten by injuries.  Patriots have done some serious patch work in an injured secondary over the years.

Well said.

True enough, but the key thing for me here is that it wasn't like the Jets were heading into the season with proven commodities in the secondary and then injuries happened, it wasn't like they were up against the cap and had no other options. The Jets were heading into the season counting on a questionable unproven 1st round pick, a rookie third round pick and basically a Jag for starting positions in the secondary. That seems like a major miscalculation, all rooting interests aside.  

True enough, but the key thing for me here is that it wasn't like the Jets were heading into the season with proven commodities in the secondary and then injuries happened, it wasn't like they were up against the cap and had no other options. The Jets were heading into the season counting on a questionable unproven 1st round pick, a rookie third round pick and basically a Jag for starting positions in the secondary. That seems like a major miscalculation, all rooting interests aside.  

Which is why Idzik went after Vontae Davis.  It didn't happen.  Oh well.  We moved on.

What are you doing here?

Who are you and what did you do with shasta?

True statement.  But our gross horrifying lack of offensive skill players trumped the need for secondary help at the end of last year.  I think they realized that we had to do something with that and find out what we had in geno before concentrating on the defense..again.  Im not going to try and convince you because Im not convinced myself they could have not done more. But again I think it was amplified when Miilner and McDougle went down on the same day.  Then cascaded from there.  

True statement.  But our gross horrifying lack of offensive skill players trumped the need for secondary help at the end of last year.  I think they realized that we had to do something with that and find out what we had in geno before concentrating on the defense..again.  Im not going to try and convince you because Im not convinced myself they could have not done more. But again I think it was amplified when Miilner and McDougle went down on the same day.  Then cascaded from there.  

I could actually agree with this take if the Jets had loaded up on more offensive weapons, but they are still sitting on a huge chunk of cash. Talking about up coming contracts, and building for the future is great for the fan base in the offseason, it's just not going to fly when the Jets are getting lit up by the likes of Calvin Johnson, or what's going to be worse is when that secondary starts making B, and C list receiving groups look like hall of famers. Now don't get me wrong all teams are going into the season with weak units somewhere on their roster, but I would wager none of them are sitting on as much cap space as the Jets. Hell Asante Samuel may not be half the player he was but unless his legs fell off he would be immediately and upgrade. Who cares if he wants a million more than he should get? Believe me once the injuries start happening across the league,, somebody is going to give him that extra cash.     

I could actually agree with this take if the Jets had loaded up on more offensive weapons, but they are still sitting on a huge chunk of cash. Talking about up coming contracts, and building for the future is great for the fan base in the offseason, it's just not going to fly when the Jets are getting lit up by the likes of Calvin Johnson, or what's going to be worse is when that secondary starts making B, and C list receiving groups look like hall of famers. Now don't get me wrong all teams are going into the season with weak units somewhere on their roster, but I would wager none of them are sitting on as much cap space as the Jets. Hell Asante Samuel may not be half the player he was but unless his legs fell off he would be immediately and upgrade. Who cares if he wants a million more than he should get? Believe me once the injuries start happening across the league,, somebody is going to give him that extra cash.     

My guess is the Jets will go shopping for CBs on Tuesday once the veteran contracts are no longer guaranteed.  In the meantime, they opted to pick up some young guys with playing experience to hold the fort for this week.  And as sad as it is to say, once Milliner is back out on the field these CBs are really no worse than last year's crop, as Cro was an absolute disaster, and with the addition of Pryor it's probably a fair assumption that the safeties will be better.

My guess is the Jets will go shopping for CBs on Tuesday once the veteran contracts are no longer guaranteed.  In the meantime, they opted to pick up some young guys with playing experience to hold the fort for this week.  And as sad as it is to say, once Milliner is back out on the field these CBs are really no worse than last year's crop, as Cro was an absolute disaster, and with the addition of Pryor it's probably a fair assumption that the safeties will be better.

That makes sense, except next week they will be competing with every other team in the league that's planning to do the same thing, not to mention that the Jet could have had a guy like Samuel in weeks ago learning the playbook. It all just reeks of penny wise and pound foolish to me.

Stats update

16 million= 0 and 1

The song remains the same, almost - the Pats had 1 shut down corner last year which nobody threw at.

The Pats have one shut down corner this year which no one will throw at and a lot less millienz of dollars

Love Mondays in the office during Football season.  All the sh*t talking and recapping of Football.  Good times.

The resident Pats fan came into my office this morning, and the first thing he said to me, "that Revis is a little bitch, he got burned all game long by F'ing Mike Wallace and blamed cramps".  

I just smiled and nodded.  

I still don't get how any of you can still look at Revis, and call him the greedy pig? Seriously, the NFL, and it's owners are the most greedy I'm the sports businesses, and some how keep getting fans like some of you to turn on a HOF possible all time great because he wants his deserved piece of the pie, and used the owners own tactics against them.

I'm with you Lupz27.  I was all for Revis doing whatever he felt he needed to.  The NFL is a brutal sport but doesn't have guaranteed contracts.  Therefore, how in the world can we blame the guy for maximizing money while he can.  He was a great Jet.  That's how I'll think of him.

I'm with you Lupz27.  I was all for Revis doing whatever he felt he needed to.  The NFL is a brutal sport but doesn't have guaranteed contracts.  Therefore, how in the world can we blame the guy for maximizing money while he can.  He was a great Jet.  That's how I'll think of him.

For me I agree that he should go for what he deserves, BUT twice he created problems for the Jets prior to his contract running out. Twice the Jets gave him very nice guaranteed bonuses. For some reason these players seem to disregard and never include their bonus  when it comes down to what they are really getting paid and determining their worth. It may seem unfair with the way teams can cut guys but that is the system and that is why some guys get really good bonuses.

For me I agree that he should go for what he deserves, BUT twice he created problems for the Jets prior to his contract running out. Twice the Jets gave him very nice guaranteed bonuses. For some reason these players seem to disregard and never include their bonus  when it comes down to what they are really getting paid and determining their worth. It may seem unfair with the way teams can cut guys but that is the system and that is why some guys get really good bonuses.

I agree.

although i'm not a jets fan, I completely understand the distaste for Revis by jet fans, I understand his side as a player, BUT how he went about it was f*ed up, The Jets were paying him, they weren't being stingy with his contract at all.

Posted this in the Fish thread, but it seems to fit here to.

Miami Dolphins WR Mike Wallace spoils Darrelle Revis' New England Patriots debut

By Kevin Duffy | krduffy@masslive.com

Follow on Twitter

on September 07, 2014 at 5:43 PM, updated September 07, 2014 at 6:44 PM

MIAMI GARDENS — Darrelle Revis said he got a hand on it, the Ryan Tannehill strike that would finally draw Miami even and send the Patriots back on their heels.

“I actually knocked the pass down and thought it popped up like the post he ran earlier,” Revis said. “My teammates were telling me it hit his knee and popped back into his hands…Sometimes it happens like that.”

That play, a 14-yard scoring connection between Tannehill and Mike Wallace, proved to be the equalizer, knotting this season opener at 20 apiece. Of course, it would spiral out of control shortly afterward and Darrelle Revis’ big debut would become an afternoon for New England to forget.

“It’s tough,” Revis said. “We have high expectations here as a defense and we didn’t like what happened today.”

Widely regarded as the league’s best shutdown corner, Revis spent much of the day on Mike Wallace. And the speedster often got the best of him. Wallace finished with seven catches for 81 yards and the touchdown on 11 targets.

On the final play of the first quarter, Revis gave Wallace room in man coverage, resulting in a 22-yard completion across the middle. Wallace also beat Revis on a double-move with 4:00 remaining in the first half; he caught the ball along the sideline in the endzone, but was unable to get a second foot inbounds. It would have been a 33-yard touchdown. Instead, Miami, trailing 17-7, settled for a field goal.

In the fourth quarter, on a 3rd-and-12, Revis timed a Wallace route perfectly and broke up a pass that would have gone for a first down. It proved to be his last break-up of the game. When the Dolphins were salting it away, keeping Tom Brady on the sidelines, they were throwing at Malcom Butler and Alfonzo Dennard. New England’s Pro Bowl cornerback was on the sidelines with an apparent cramp in his left leg.

“Very frustrating,” he said. “I couldn’t be out there to help the team out in desperation mode.”

On the six-minute drive that broke the Patriots, Tannehill completed a pair of third-down conversions to Dennard’s man — first a 9-yard out to Brandon Gibson and then a 17-yarder to Wallace.

“They ran a lot of crossing routes, coming from both sides,” Revis said. “You try and rub a corner or safety…(Charles) Clay ran a number of them and caught the ball and Mike Wallace as well. We have to make corrections and have to go back to the drawing board and see what we can do next time we play them.”

Aside from covering Wallace, Revis also spent minimal time on Clay and Brian Hartline. When asked if he had been cramping, he said “yeah,” but preferred to label it “minor injuries.”

“I’m fine,” he said. “There was some minor stuff going on but I’m fine.”

Wow, Wallace on Revis, had almost half of Tannehill's passing yards including a 14 yards TD.  Then, he went on to make excuses.

“I actually knocked the pass down and thought it popped up like the post he ran earlier,” Revis said. “My teammates were telling me it hit his knee and popped back into his hands…Sometimes it happens like that.”

Next time when he run out of excuse, watch as he will hold his HAMMY on the way to the locker room. 

Archived