Jets claim CB Leon McFadden

BroadwayJets

The Browns cut him because they're deep at corner after drafting Gilbert and Desir, they were going to have an odd man out, McFadden got flagged a lot this preseason so he was the fortunate one. He's certainly not awesome but he's not a bad player and for a team that is pretty desperate at the position this is a good find.

Don't judge any DB on how many times he was flagged this pre-season RJF, I was watching some talking heads giving the numbers in percentages of how many more times Illegal use of hands Pass Interference  and D-holding has been called this summer and we're talking like they are all up over 300%. They were saying that they have to get this figured out and quick. No penalties ruin a game faster than those pass Int., illegal contacts, and DB-holding penalties. It used to be the offensive line holding penalties for 15 yards. I'll never forget the first MNF game it was the Jets against the Browns and the NY O-Line had like 7 15 yarders that were absolute drive KILLERS-we're not just talk 15 yards but subtract the 24 yard pass play and you get the picture.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I wouldn't love it if he bet the position purely on McDougle next season. I don't care how good he looked in camp as a rookie, he'll have appeared in 2 football games between Febrary 2013 and September 2015. Whatever faith Idzik has in McDougle not having an injury-plagued career going forward, he can't bet the whole team's 2015 after the way the team was hit by CB injuries and healthy FA misfires.

If there's a silver lining in the secondary, it's if - IF - Geno would be much improved from 2013 but not really fully there yet as a QB until 2015, then this year would have been a stepping-stone season for the team even if his first choice (Vontae Davis) signed here instead of returning to Indy. In that case, then the coverage skills Allen gains in the year spent as a corner in '14 could serve him VERY well as a safety in '15. Paired with 2nd-year Pryor at safety, adding a CB next year could see the Jets with a beastly secondary. Probably also need to find another slot corner unless Wilson suddenly wakes up enough to warrant re-signing, as I wouldn't bet the season on McDougle covering the slot either. Certainly not all the way back in March.

Agreed, as much as I've advocated being okay with the one hole in our defense being a 2nd string corner (once Milliner's back), it really makes no sense to not bring in a vet like champ in for a year. Someone who can just hold their sh*t while the rest of our defense does the work. We can figure the problem out next year. 

Also Champ can serve as a mentor for the youngsters, just as Ed Reed did last year. I see nothing but benefits from a Champ signing, especially when the cap is not an issue.

Agreed, as much as I've advocated being okay with the one hole in our defense being a 2nd string corner (once Milliner's back), it really makes no sense to not bring in a vet like champ in for a year. Someone who can just hold their sh*t while the rest of our defense does the work. We can figure the problem out next year. 

Also Champ can serve as a mentor for the youngsters, just as Ed Reed did last year. I see nothing but benefits from a Champ signing, especially when the cap is not an issue.

agree, I had the same thought about champ/reed

champ my want to go to a contender for one last hurrah tho

Don't judge any DB on how many times he was flagged this pre-season RJF, I was watching some talking heads giving the numbers in percentages of how many more times Illegal use of hands Pass Interference  and D-holding has been called this summer and we're talking like they are all up over 300%. They were saying that they have to get this figured out and quick. No penalties ruin a game faster than those pass Int., illegal contacts, and DB-holding penalties. It used to be the offensive line holding penalties for 15 yards. I'll never forget the first MNF game it was the Jets against the Browns and the NY O-Line had like 7 15 yarders that were absolute drive KILLERS-we're not just talk 15 yards but subtract the 24 yard pass play and you get the picture.

I remember that first MNF game. Riggins held out that year (the Jets were cheap), and came to camp late, showed up with a mohawk, and had a rare fumble that game, and I cried myself to sleep that night.

Not every every great corner was a high draft pick, I'm rather excited to see how Walls reacts to his opportunity. Some guys just aren't given the reps, I actually am eager to find how what he can do with the extra playing time. Champ is toast, I'd rather someone who has a future with our franchise get the reps.

Archived