I hate to ask, but what happens if the Jets lose to the Raiders?

AFJF

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just don't be surprised. Carr throws for 320 and 4 td's.. In fact he already had 2 TD's last week against one of the scrub CB's we picked up.

Hey but Woody is banking 20+ mill. this year. Good for him. More gas for the yacht!

Shelly begs to differ:

What Carr should expect: 'Pure dominance'

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets like to believe they have one of the best front sevens in the NFL. No argument here. With the cornerback position in a state of emergency, it needs to be the Magnificent Seven, especially with a rookie quarterback coming to town. Derek Carr gets the start for the Oakland Raiders, and the Jets have to treat him as harshly as big brother David was treated during his years in the NFL. 

The ever-confident Sheldon Richardson was asked Tuesday what Carr can expect Sunday from the Jets' front seven. 

nfl_a_sheldonrichardson_tb_200x300.jpg
Sheldon Richardson and the Jets' front seven have to dominate to protect their fragile secondary.

"Gotta be pure dominance, if (nothing) else," Richardson told ESPN.com in a matter-of-fact tone. "Pure dominance. That's all I can think of right now, just dominating and dominating the run, because this team last year was the only team that ran for over 100 yards (against us)." 

Actually, it was 150, the most allowed by the Jets, but that's ancient history. If the Jets want to make it to Halloween still in contention, their defensive line and linebackers must rise up, protect the depleted secondary and carry the team through a potentially lethal run of top quarterbacks. 

Everybody knows the story at cornerback. Right now, it looks like Darrin Walls and converted safety Antonio Allenwill start the opener. They have a grand total of four career starts, all by Walls. This week shouldn't be a difficult test, at least not compared to next week (Aaron Rodgers), the week after (Jay Cutler) and the few weeks after that. Carr is a warm-up act, as long as the Jets take care of business at the line of scrimmage. 

Naturally, they were delighted by the news that Carr, notMatt Schaub, will start for the Raiders. Every defense loves to face a rookie, especially in their own building -- especially in the opener. Under Rex Ryan, the Jets are 7-3 against rookie starters. Ryan's defense is predicated on causing confusion for the opposition. His clever schemes have baffled the best of the best over the years, so they should be able to feast on Carr. 

"We lick our chops against every quarterback, not just rookies," linebacker Demario Davis said. "We kick our chops against anybody who is trying to move the ball on us." 

The Jets' front seven should be better than a year ago because their top young players -- Davis, Richardson, Muhammad WilkersonDamon Harrison and Quinton Coples -- are on the ascent. They added a proven pass rusher in Jason Babin, who should be able to provide sacks off the bench. 

The Jets did a lot of chirping in training camp, especially on defense. Now is the time for the big fellas to back it up, because there's no way these corners can hold up in coverage if the quarterback -- any quarterback -- can stand comfortably in the pocket. 

"Do I think we have the potential to be (the best)? Yes, I think we have the potential to be thebest," Richardson said, referring to the front seven. "Do we have the potential to stay the best? That's the way we're trying to keep it." 

They can start by roughing up Carr. Rookie safety Calvin Pryor said the plan is to bring early pressure, trying to rattle the second-round pick. In his final year at Fresno State, he completed only 29 percent of his passes while under duress, the worst among the top quarterback prospects, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Carr put up crazy stats in college, but it should be noted that a good amount of his throws were screen passes. 

The game has changed in recent years, turning the NFL into a pitch-and-catch league. Spread offenses can negate a strong pass rush, which is why we probably will never see another defense like the '85 Chicago Bears. But a formidable front seven is better than a weak front seven, and the Jets will have to ride their horses for as long as their secondary needs protection. 

On Sunday, they can test drive a green Carr. 

"This is his first official game, he's the starter and it's the NFL," Richardson said. "That's a big plate to handle."

Rex eats rookie QB's for breakfast. He made Luck look like a 3rd string QB the first time he faced him.  With that said, Rex does not have all his cards in his hand to play. Remember, he had 2 outstanding CB's to scheme with in Cro and Revis.  This game depends on the play of our cb's.  The Raiders can and will run which will set up their passing game and nullify our pass rush.  Carr is not shy. He's a gunslinger in the making.  This game just wreaks of potential disaster. This is not last years' Raider team.  If we lose they will be a lot of unanswered questions.  If we squeak out a win, it will leave an empty feeling. This is a game we should dominate like we did last year. Anything less than that will be a grim portent of things to come.  Even with a healthy Milliner returning in week 2 or 3, the Jets will still be one cb short of facing some of the best QB's in the history of the game.       

The Raiders made some moves in the offseason to improve their team .... They are not going to be a pushover and will be just as pumped up for day one as the Jets will be.

That being said if the Jets lose, at least this site will be amusing for the remainder of the week.

usually when the Jets lose I'm in a bad mood for a few hours but it passes when I come here to read and laugh.

if it was not game one I would be more confident. they do not travel well during the season. East coast trips seem to be tough on them

Rookie safety Calvin Pryor said the plan is to bring early pressure, trying to rattle the second-round pick. In his final year at Fresno State, he completed only 29 percent of his passes while under duress, the worst among the top quarterback prospects, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Carr put up crazy stats in college, but it should be noted that a good amount of his throws were screen passes. 

What kind of pressure did he face at Fresno State? I'm thinking the Jets will be looking to dial it up just a little hotter than that.

Just watch out for the screen! I'm sure they'll be looking to counter the rush with screens to MJD and/or DMC.

Raiders looking to snap 13-game losing streak in Eastern time zone, with last win coming Dec. 6, 2009, at Pittsburgh. #Jets

I love that It' the first game of the season, and not later in the season . won't take it's toll.

Also Raiders adjusted their travel schedule this year. Instead of flying in Friday, they are Flying in Thursday. Gives them another day to get their bodies adjusted to the time zone,

I love that It' the first game of the season, and not later in the season . won't take it's toll.

Also Raiders adjusted their travel schedule this year. Instead of flying in Friday, they are Flying in Thursday. Gives them another day to get their bodies adjusted to the time zone,

Did you go by Raider9175 on JI?

I was once in the Jets facility and Eric Mangini had these printouts of this crazy detailed schedule for the Jets 3 west cost trips that year.  The Jets lost every one of them.

The laminated travel schedule was sweet though.

Good news is that Rex is 4-1 to open the season, with the lone loss being the 10-9 Ravens game.

With that said, we all know that every single year the Jets will lose 1 or 2 (or 3) games that they should have ended up winning and win 1 or 2 games that noone expects them to. 

Last year we end up:

Losing to the winless Steelers only to beat the Patriots the next week only to get crushed by the Bengals only to beat New Orleans only to get crushed by the Bills following our bye. 

The team last year was schizophrenic at best. In the off chance we lose to the Raiders I say no big deal!

I don't understand why teams do this, it makes no sense whatsoever. I like what the Jets do now under Rex, they simply stay on Eastern Time no matter what; this way you don't have to adjust your body to different time zones. So if the Raiders did this, they would just stay on Pacific Time and pretend they were playing an 10 am game on Sunday instead of a 1 pm game. And when the Jets go out West, for a 4:15 game, (1:15 on west coast) it's still a 4:15 game to them since they stay on Eastern time. This beats messing with your body days before a game.

Archived