The Scotch/Bourbon/Rye/Whiskey Thread

Warfish

Basicly, I'll be deciding my future forum home based on what kind of feedback this thread gets on each potential new home.

So, I hope we here at JN have some dedicated Whisk(e)y drinkers, advocates, fans and the like.

My most recent additition:

616199-glendronach-15-1_5935.jpg

As brilliant as I'd heard, a strongly sherried Scotch, full of sweet flavors and deep dark depth.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure there are. My problem is I don't spend time looking. I walk in grab my go to and leave. Hopefully I learn in this thread.

I'm sure there are. My problem is I don't spend time looking. I walk in grab my go to and leave. Hopefully I learn in this thread.

Step 1: Go Buy a monocle & a top hat

Step 2: Go back to liquor store

Can I ask a question of the Bourbon aficionados?  The only brands I know are Jim Beam and Evan Williams.  Even though EW is cheaper, I think it tastes better.  Are there other bourbons worthy of checking out, and how would they compare?

For a good day to day Bourbon I would say Makers Mark.  Cost to taste I really find it solid.

My brother gave my father a bottle of the Jack Daniel's Single Barrel last weekend. We haven't opened it up yet, not sure what to expect. I'd never heard of it.

We got a bottle of maple syrup hooch from a neighbor up in Maine this year, also due to crack into it. 

So... that's what is on my horizon. 

As of right now, I've been well invested in a good bottle of Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select.

Can I ask a question of the Bourbon aficionados?  The only brands I know are Jim Beam and Evan Williams.  Even though EW is cheaper, I think it tastes better.  Are there other bourbons worthy of checking out, and how would they compare?

http://www.woodfordreserve.com/

Distiller's Select is all I've tried from these guys. Let's put it this way, I used to only drink Scotch.

My brother gave my father a bottle of the Jack Daniel's Single Barrel last weekend. We haven't opened it up yet, not sure what to expect. I'd never heard of it.

We got a bottle of maple syrup hooch from a neighbor up in Maine this year, also due to crack into it. 

So... that's what is on my horizon. 

As of right now, I've been well invested in a good bottle of Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select.

Woodford reserve is a very nice bourbon.  

Basicly, I'll be deciding my future forum home based on what kind of feedback this thread gets on each potential new home.

So, I hope we here at JN have some dedicated Whisk(e)y drinkers, advocates, fans and the like.

My most recent additition:

616199-glendronach-15-1_5935.jpg

As brilliant as I'd heard, a strongly sherried Scotch, full of sweet flavors and deep dark depth.

warfish, if a novice wants to blow 50 on a bottle what do you recommend?

warfish, if a novice wants to blow 50 on a bottle what do you recommend?

$50?

Well, you can get ALOT of good things for $50.00

My recommendation:

1. Bottle of Glenmorangie 10 Year Old (~$30.00 on sale). Glenlivet 12 year old is also an option.

2. Bottle of Bulliet Bourbon/Bulliet Rye ($18.00 on sale)

Two for the price of one, and both brilliant!

Glenmorangie is the best selling single malt in Scotland, and a quality beginners dram. Glenlivet is one of the best entry-level, get-you-started Scotch whiskys around.

Bulliet Rye, a 95% rye mashbill, is exceptionally cheap, yet absolutely brilliant, strait up (or better yet) served in a Ginger + Rye or on the rocks.

If you want to spend all $50 on a single malt, my recommendation would be any of a number of:

Highland Park 12 Year Old (~$40-45)

Macallan 12 Year Old (~$50)

Aberlour 12 Year Old (~$50)

Ardbeg 10 Year Old (~$45, but only if you like smokey things, as it's a heavily peated (i.e. "smokey/earthy" malt)

Can't really go wrong with any of these tbh. I suggest tho, you go with the Glenmorangie first, get your feet wet, give it a go, see if you like it, and then branch out from there.

Enjoy!

$50?

My recommendation:

1. Bottle of Glenmorangie 10 Year Old (~$30.00 on sale). Glenlivet 12 year old is also an option.

Glenmorangie is the best selling single malt in Scotland, and a quality beginners dram. Glenlivet is one of the best entry-level, get-you-started Scotch whiskys around.

Bulliet Rye, a 95% rye mashbill, is exceptionally cheap, yet absolutely brilliant, strait up (or better yet) served in a Ginger + Rye or on the rocks.

If you want to spend all $50 on a single malt, my recommendation would be any of a number of:

Ardbeg 10 Year Old (~$45, but only if you like smokey things, as it's a heavily peated (i.e. "smokey/earthy" malt)

Can't really go wrong with any of these tbh. I suggest tho, you go with the Glenmorangie first, get your feet wet, give it a go, see if you like it, and then branch out from there.

Enjoy!

This is a great post.

$50?Well, you can get ALOT of good things for $50.00My recommendation:1. Bottle of Glenmorangie 10 Year Old (~$30.00 on sale). Glenlivet 12 year old is also an option.2. Bottle of Bulliet Bourbon/Bulliet Rye ($18.00 on sale)Two for the price of one, and both brilliant!Glenmorangie is the best selling single malt in Scotland, and a quality beginners dram. Glenlivet is one of the best entry-level, get-you-started Scotch whiskys around.Bulliet Rye, a 95% rye mashbill, is exceptionally cheap, yet absolutely brilliant, strait up (or better yet) served in a Ginger + Rye or on the rocks.If you want to spend all $50 on a single malt, my recommendation would be any of a number of:Highland Park 12 Year Old (~$40-45)Macallan 12 Year Old (~$50)Aberlour 12 Year Old (~$50)Ardbeg 10 Year Old (~$45, but only if you like smokey things, as it's a heavily peated (i.e. "smokey/earthy" malt)Can't really go wrong with any of these tbh. I suggest tho, you go with the Glenmorangie first, get your feet wet, give it a go, see if you like it, and then branch out from there.Enjoy!

Ok, im gonna start on that 18 bulliet stuff and work my way up

I pretty much killed a bottle of Angel's Envy during last year's icepocalypse that completely shut down the city of ATL and locked people on the roads for over 24 hours.

I had no choice, it's all I had available at the time... But I think I liked it!!

angels-envy-rye-whiskey.jpg

Angels envy? Isnt that a popular beverage in the gay community?

$50?

My recommendation:

Enjoy!

This is a great post.

+1 great post. I figured all those were well over $50

and $18 for Bulleit is a bargain

Except for the Ardbeg. It's definitely not an introductory single malt.

Depends on how you define it.

Ardbeg is the perfect introduction to Peaty Islay Whisky, bold flavors for the bold.

Not everyone wants to start with the (brilliant) softer, frutier malts, and I can respect that.

As with things like Hot Sauce, some are attracted to an Ardbeg for the very nature of it's boldness and peaty funk.

So as an exemplar for the entire peaty range of Scotch, I tossed it out there.

If it's me, and I have only $50.00 (and I'm not new to Scotch), I go with a Bruichladdich The Laddie 10, a bold unpeated Islay, with the taste of salt air rising over the heather of Islay on a brisk but warming spring morning.

+1 great post. I figured all those were well over $50

and $18 for Bulleit is a bargain

Prices sourced from Montgomery County MD ABC Stores, the best deals I've found in the VA/DC/MD area.

NY might be higher, I do admit. DC is very high, VA even higher (crazy high some times).

You can get a lot of great rye in the $20-30 range. It is thankfully one of the few liquors that thankfully hasn't gone price crazy in the recent surge in demand for spirits. I'm not a huge Bulleit fan but it is a good product at its price. I would spend the extra $5 and pick up Rittenhouse, Redemption or Whistlepig. If you can find Sazerac 6 at a good price then it is worth it. Templeton Rye is my #2 favorite rye but it's slightly more expensive. Worth the price IMO.

Best rye I've ever come across is Ranger Creek .44 Texas Rye out of San Antonio. Incredibly smooth but also extremely flavorful. However, there's no way in hell I am paying $70 for a bottle of rye when I can get a 15 or 18 year scotch for the same price locally.

$50?

My recommendation:

Enjoy!

I am going to apply this nugget of wisdom, thank you.

I suggest to anyone interested in Whisky, to take a look at this Blogging/Youtubes, of this fine gentleman.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ralfystuff

Close to 500 different videos, almost all of which are either Whisky Reviews (which are excellent) or Details on how Whisky is Made, How to Buy, How to Collect, etc.

I love his content, he's one I check almost daily.

He's only sorta snobby at times, often being far more egalitarian about Whisky.

And he's tried most of the good ones and can give some real insight into the nose and flavor profiles of them.

He is, IMO, a beginners best resource, along with one of the nice hardbacked "Drams to Try before You Die" type books.

Archived