The Scotch/Bourbon/Rye/Whiskey Thread

Warfish

Well i went to a huge liquor store to buy that bulliet stuff but they had a tiny selection. So i bought this for 20. It came in a nice box. It seems ok....it has a nice aftertaste like 5 mins later. I dunno. Is this crap? 20 sounds like entry level like icehouse beer

F i cant uploada pic to this crappy site. Its called speyburn highland single malt

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i went to a huge liquor store to buy that bulliet stuff but they had a tiny selection. So i bought this for 20. It came in a nice box. It seems ok....it has a nice aftertaste like 5 mins later. I dunno. Is this crap? 20 sounds like entry level like icehouse beer

F i cant uploada pic to this crappy site. Its called speyburn highland single malt

It's a decent scotch for its price.

I pretty much killed a bottle of Angel's Envy during last year's icepocalypse that completely shut down the city of ATL and locked people on the roads for over 24 hours.

I had no choice, it's all I had available at the time... But I think I liked it!!

angels-envy-rye-whiskey.jpg

Been wanting to try this. Right now it's Jameson or Johnny Walker.

Can I ask a question of the Bourbon aficionados?  The only brands I know are Jim Beam and Evan Williams.  Even though EW is cheaper, I think it tastes better.  Are there other bourbons worthy of checking out, and how would they compare?

Check out Buffalo Trace. Good drink for the price point (~$30 in NYC). Bottle looks cool, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Warfish, stop going forum to forum stealing my thread ideas.  :tongue:

Also, why can't I get my avatar to fit? Made it pretty small already, but it always looks the same regardless of size.

There can be only one (forum).  JN is it really for now (although I do still post at the defunct J.I. once in a while).

And any forum I am in will have a Scotch Thread. :)

I will admit tho, it isn't the same without YOU my friend.

New Acquisitions:  Glenlivet 18 year old.

Wheat Whisky = VERY Mild Whisky

I'd like to try this:

dryflywhiskey.jpg

A single-malt wheat whisky, almost like a Unicorn it's so unusual and rare a thing.

I hear it's spectacular, actually.

Never had that one.  But I will.  I actually like milder Bourbons.   Im sorta sensitive like that. 

I pretty much killed a bottle of Angel's Envy during last year's icepocalypse that completely shut down the city of ATL and locked people on the roads for over 24 hours.

I had no choice, it's all I had available at the time... But I think I liked it!!

angels-envy-rye-whiskey.jpg

Love this stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

This Japanese whiskey was named best in the world this year, no true Scotch made the list. 

sherry_3093681b.jpg

article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11204872/Scotland-loses-out-as-Japanese-whisky-named-best-in-the-world.html

Apples and pears to compare whisky and whiskey (talking about the inclusion of the American whiskeys). The Japanese (and Indian) scotches are on my short-list of must-trys. This only serves to bolster that.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished a bottle of Basil Hayden Bourbon.  Like most Rye or Rye-Heavy Bourbon, best use (IMO) is a classic Ginger and Rye mixed drink.  Tasty.

Two new aquisitions today:

copperfox.jpeg

Copper Fox Rye "Whisky" ($45).  An interesting offering from a local VA distillery, not legally a Whisky (for a few reasons), but comes well regarded as at the forefront of experimentation of the medium.

westland.jpg

Westland American Single Malt ($80).  Think Scotch, but made in Seattle. 

Looking forward to tasting both tomorrow or Moday night.

• 4 weeks later...

I am at Heathrow right now. Wonder what bottle i should pick.

I hope you picked up something "Travel Retail Exclusive".

When traveling, never buy something you can just as easily buy at home.

Always check for travel retail exclusives, special bottlings, etc.

These days almost all of the big distilleries offer them, and the airport (for international travelers) is about the only place you can get them.

Hope you made a good choice.

Archived