The Scotch/Bourbon/Rye/Whiskey Thread

Warfish

See, here we go (knew Iw asn't crazy):

From the famous Astor in NY:

Yeah, I am totally confused at this point.  I have been looking around on a bunch of sites and it really seems to differ by the site.  I have found at least a half dozen that will ship to VA and a half dozen that won't ship to VA>

I think I'll call the VABC Central Office tomorrow for clarification.  Hopefully  I am correctly interpreting the law of up to a gallon being legal.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK..i have a question for this board.

What's the best $50 (plus or minus $10) bottle of whisky ?

What's the best $100 (plus or minus $20) bottle of whisky ?

Pure opinion, at the ~$50 mark, this is utterly unparalleled:

Glenmorangie%20Quinta%20Ruban.jpg

The ~$100 mark......is tougher, no shortage of good there.  At that price point, alot depends on your style preferences honestly, Speyside, Highland, Islay, peaty or no, fruity or bold, etc.

Balvenie 21 Year Portwood (~$120-140 if lucky) and Glenmorangie Signet (~$120-140) are both can't miss choices.  GlenDronach 15 for a Sherried Single Malt.  But again, so many choices at that price.

The ~$100 mark......is tougher, no shortage of good there.  At that price point, alot depends on your style preferences honestly, Speyside, Highland, Islay, peaty or no, fruity or bold, etc.

Balvenie 21 Year Portwood (~$120-140 if lucky) and Glenmorangie Signet (~$120-140) are both can't miss choices.  GlenDronach 15 for a Sherried Single Malt.  But again, so many choices at that price.

That's a good choice in the $50 range. I  also like the Glenmoragie LaSanta Sherry Creek finished 12 year old.

For $100 range you have some really nice choices. I would add the Glenlivet 18 yr old single malt. I need to try the GlenDorach 15. Never have.

Acquired two of these today, one to drink, one for the long-term unopened collection!

glenmorangie-tusail-psthumb.jpg

Awesome! And smart move on the extra bottle; just noticed my Ealanta is almost gone, with replacements (if you can find them) going for $300!

Knocking this back as we speak. It's really an amazing dram at this price point.

^^ JW, the Glenmorangie junkie.  :winking0001:

I personally can't get enough of anything Talisker puts out.Currently enjoying the Distillers Edition.

Talisker-Distillers-Edition-2013-0-7l-45

BTW, in hindsight I really enjoyed the Jura - Surperstition. Def recommend it if you get your hands on it.

^^ JW, the Glenmorangie junkie.  :winking0001:

I personally can't get enough of anything Talisker puts out.Currently enjoying the Distillers Edition.

Talisker-Distillers-Edition-2013-0-7l-45

BTW, in hindsight I really enjoyed the Jura - Surperstition. Def recommend it if you get your hands on it.

Yea, I like Glenmorangie a bit TOO much, lol. Latest additions are the Glenmorangie (!) Companta and the Aberlour A'bunadh (a Warfish recommendation). Good to know about the Jura, I'll add it to the list. Need to pare down the current rotation a bit though....

Scotch%20Filter_zpstnxawurt.jpg

You'll have to come back, give us the full write-up of what you think. :)

Tried this one proper, glencairn glass and soapstones, barely a splash of water. First impression was I didn't expect it to be so strong. Reason I say that is because I didn't realize it was 121.4(!!!) proof, easily the strongest scotch I've tried to date. That said, it was extremely smooth. Sat more like a refined Highland than as a Speyside. Closest comparison I can make is Glenmorangie Astar, but with a thicker finish. Does any of that make sense or ring true? 

And thanks for the recommendation. :winking0001:

Warfish, I agree VA ABC is expensive but I have always been able to get most of the bottles here in NOVA, they are just all in the back and you have to ask for them. Apparently, people hoard certain varieties and this is their way to fight it.  Also, in Tysons on 7 they have a new high end ABC store .

http://patch.com/virginia/mclean/upscale-abc-store-opens-leesburg-pike-tysons-0

Jetworks,

Cracked the Glenmorangie Tusail this evening, a very nice dram, quite a different flavor profile than maybe what I expected, subdued nose, sweetish, full and slightly smokey on the front, very VERY clean on the finish, light, but substantial, flavorsome but not overly pushy, unique.  Good stuff.

Oh, also, I'll just leave this here:

1112165.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wife and I wound up at way too high class a party for our tastes this evening, and the host decided to try to impress everyone with a bottle of Pappy. I dunno, I'm not a whiskey expert by any means, and it was very good, but I can't see the justification for the cost that people shell out for this sh*t.

Wife and I wound up at way too high class a party for our tastes this evening, and the host decided to try to impress everyone with a bottle of Pappy. I dunno, I'm not a whiskey expert by any means, and it was very good, but I can't see the justification for the cost that people shell out for this sh*t.

Rarity.   Exclusivity.

Supply vs. Demand.

Hype.

And there never making anymore (the Distillery is Closed).

That, and a "Whisky Expert" would tell you it's some of the greatest expressions ever created in the United States.

It's the same reason an official bottling of Rosebank (a closed and gone distillery in Scotland) can sell for $500.00 a bottle.  

• 5 weeks later...

Denver, you'll have to give us a review of Amrut when you've had enough time to enjoy it.

The Indian whisky made by Amrut is actually pretty highly regarded these days, like Japan, India loves Scotch and has put in a solid effort to replicate it in Inida.

A few recent aquisitions of my own:

defiant-whisky.jpg

Microdistillery in NC, making American Single Malt (i.e. Scotch sort of), aged in a rather modern VERY non-traditional way.

Bruichladdich_IS_5220bc828c482.jpg?itok=

Adding to my Bruichladdich collection .

Denver, you'll have to give us a review of Amrut when you've had enough time to enjoy it.

The Indian whisky made by Amrut is actually pretty highly regarded these days, like Japan, India loves Scotch and has put in a solid effort to replicate it in Inida.

A few recent aquisitions of my own:

I am not very good at describing smells and taste. Let me make an attempt though.

Nose i would describe it as very rich, barley, caramelish/choclatish aroma with a very soft hint of peat. You will require two teaspoons of water instead of one to really open the rich aroma of this brew.

Taste: Very rich. I would say a combo of deeper flavors of smoked almonds, caramel, butterscotch, chocolate, grains all in a very smooth amalgamation.

To me it comes down to whether i will buy another bottle of this stuff or not. And the verdict is Oh yeah, I sure will.

I've been meaning to pick up something good for my first "grown up" bottle of whiskey (mind you I'm almost 29), and completely forgot to refer to this thread. I ended up picking up one of these, and will be opening it tonight. What do yall think of it?

dalmore-12yr-single-malt-scotch-whisky.j

I'll post how I feel about it sometime tomorrow between hangover coffees, work, and trying to make sense of our first round moves. 

Oh, also, I picked up angostura bitters, raw cane sugar, and 1792 to make Old Fashioned's. Didn't wanna splurge on really good stuff since I'll be making drinks out of it, but I love a really well made classic old fashioned...and it's also a winner for when lady friends come over!

1792.jpg

This sounds very interesting. Let us know how you how find it to be.

Very sweet up front, vanilla, ripe fruit sweetness.  Mild wood character.  Rather brief and non-lingering finish.

Tastes like a more-aggressively sweet Scottish Lowland single-malt.  

The difference in againg (12 years in pre-used oak for Scotch, 90 days in Steel Barrels with submerged max-surface-area wood) shows in the flavor profile.

The Scotch is sweet, but subtle.  The American Single-Malt here is POW! Sweet in profile, but lacks much of the back-end flavor profile that comes from 12 years in real wood through changing seasons.

Still, for a 90 day age, it's very enjoyable if simple.  I like it (not as much as I like Westland American Single-Malt from Seattle tho).

• 2 weeks later...

Sprung for a bottle of Ardbeg this week. Just fantastic. I think this may be the best scotch I've had in the $50-60 range. Though I'm still a little partial to Laphroaig.

Like a little whisky with your smoke, eh? :)

Give a try to Bruichladdich's "Port Charlotte" brand or it's "Octomore" brand if you get a chance.  I think you'll enjoy them.

http://www.bruichladdich.com/

Pronounced "Brook-la-dee" in case you were wondering.  

• 1 month later...

What am i missing. Saw a bottle of Glen Mo Signet at my local shop for $229.99. Damn!!!

Archived