The Stats that Matter in today's Passing Defense

GangGreen25

Read today that the Jets 22nd ranking in pass defense, based on yardage, was better than GB, Denver, SD, KC, and Philly all who happened to make the playoffs.  

My take is we need to evaluate defenses and specifically pass defenses differently in this era of passing and rules that favor the offense.  So while giving up 4000+ passing yards was once laughable, it may no longer matter.  Everyone who has even a minimal level of talent at QB and WR are passing on everyone else.  

So what does matter?  In my opinion its turnovers, scoring, and 3rd down efficiency.  Many teams can pass proficiently between the 20 yard lines.  But if your defense can stiffen in the red zone who cares.  Be ranked in the top 3rd in the league in 3rd down efficiency and I bet your defense is giving the team a chance to win.  And turnovers is nothing new, it has always been, win that battle and you win the game.

So I for one am not sweating our CB situation. At least that's my story and I am sticking to it.

Read today that the Jets 22nd ranking in pass defense, based on yardage, was better than GB, Denver, SD, KC, and Philly all who happened to make the playoffs.  

My take is we need to evaluate defenses and specifically pass defenses differently in this era of passing and rules that favor the offense.  So while giving up 4000+ passing yards was once laughable, it may no longer matter.  Everyone who has even a minimal level of talent at QB and WR are passing on everyone else.  

So what does matter?  In my opinion its turnovers, scoring, and 3rd down efficiency.  Many teams can pass proficiently between the 20 yard lines.  But if your defense can stiffen in the red zone who cares.  Be ranked in the top 3rd in the league in 3rd down efficiency and I bet your defense is giving the team a chance to win.  And turnovers is nothing new, it has always been, win that battle and you win the game.

So I for one am not sweating our CB situation. At least that's my story and I am sticking to it.

but what makes you think our bad corners will be good on 3rd down and in the redzone?

im cautiously optimistic, for some reason, i have a feeling we'll be fine. i have nothing to back it up but i just think well be fine 

Archived