Beer Snob Thread (Craft beer)

Morrissey

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put the Belgian and German beers down, boys. The best beer in the world is coming out of the U.S. right now, support your local brewers. They're pretty great.

why can't we have both? Had thst 3 floyds beer a few weeks ago, traded for it on reddit. Trying to get some zombie dust, haven't been able to yet.

I don't know how you guys drink either Southern Tier Creme Brulee or Pumpking. I find both intolerably sweet.

If you are serious about pumpkin beers then it's worth trying to track down St. Arnold's Pumpkinator. Imperial Stout with pumpkin and pumpkin spices. Good stuff and sells out quickly but you might be able to trade for it when it comes out in October or November.

I started homebrewing in about 1994.  I've tasted many styles, and I like most of them.  I wanted you guys to know my beer pedigree before I make this heretical assertion:  IPAs suck.  They taste like Grapefruit and Lemon juice, filtered through a gym sock.

If someone offers me an IPA, I'd rather just order something good, then slap myself in the face with every sip.   I realize I'm not cool anymore for having said this, but I can make a good case for my opinion.

Sherman, set the wayback machine.  It's the 1800s or something.  India is a British colony, with troops on the ground.  The crown wants to send the troops beer, but the heat is intense. The beer goes bad on the trip. They hadn't invented formaldehyde yet (which would have tasted better) but someone made a discovery:  Hops can become a preservative if you use enough to kill a horse. Sure, it will taste like sucking the ink out of a pen, but it won't rot in a hot boat.

So, how did a hastily designed preservative method become something that tastes good?  It didn't.  It tastes like crap.

Belgians, Wheats, stouts, any lager with hallertau hops,  all good.  IPAs however, aren't what the ancient Egyptians had in mind so I give them a pass.

Stay tuned for my next diatribe:  Did you eat paste as a kid?  You still can, but now we call it 'Greek yogurt'.

Put the Belgian and German beers down, boys. The best beer in the world is coming out of the U.S. right now, support your local brewers. They're pretty great.

There are a ton of great American beers. I love literally everything I've tried from Bell's Brewery. Lagunitas and Green Flash Breweries in California are both awesome, as is pretty much anything from Colorado that doesn't fall under the Coors umbrella. Hell, Jacksonville has a couple of really good local breweries. 

Not to mention two of my favorites that are only available in the northwest - Manny's Pale Ale and Mack & Jack's African Amber - which make a trip to Seattle worth it all by themselves. 

I started homebrewing in about 1994.  I've tasted many styles, and I like most of them.  I wanted you guys to know my beer pedigree before I make this heretical assertion:  IPAs suck.  They taste like Grapefruit and Lemon juice, filtered through a gym sock.

If someone offers me an IPA, I'd rather just order something good, then slap myself in the face with every sip.   I realize I'm not cool anymore for having said this, but I can make a good case for my opinion.

Sherman, set the wayback machine.  It's the 1800s or something.  India is a British colony, with troops on the ground.  The crown wants to send the troops beer, but the heat is intense. The beer goes bad on the trip. They hadn't invented formaldehyde yet (which would have tasted better) but someone made a discovery.  Hops can become a preservative, if you use enough to kill a horse. Sure, it will taste like sucking the ink out of a pen, but it won't rot in a hot boat.

So how did a hastily designed preservative method become something that tastes good?  It didn't.  It tastes like crap.

Belgians, Wheats, stouts, any lager with hallertau hops,  all good.  IPAs however, aren't what the ancient Egyptians had in mind so I give them a pass.

Stay tuned for my next diatribe:  Did you eat paste as a kid?  You still can, but now we call it 'Greek yogurt'.

I'm with you. I hate IPAs.

We live in an era of Beer Nirvana, with American Craft Brewing so massive and strong right now that you can't walk 10 feet without running into two-three local craft breweries.

It. Is. Awesome.

I question the wisdom of anyone who buys "Miller Light" these days, with the wealth of great local beer available.

Sherman, set the wayback machine.  It's the 1800s or something.  India is a British colony, with troops on the ground.  The crown wants to send the troops beer, but the heat is intense. The beer goes bad on the trip. They hadn't invented formaldehyde yet (which would have tasted better) but someone made a discovery:  Hops can become a preservative if you use enough to kill a horse. Sure, it will taste like sucking the ink out of a pen, but it won't rot in a hot boat.

So, how did a hastily designed preservative method become something that tastes good?  It didn't.  It tastes like crap.

You're several centuries late on the discovery of hops as a preservative.

Fair enough, but those people also thought leeches were a useful medical tool.  Time to rethink the recipe.

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with being partial to less-Hoppy beer styles.

I like Stout, often very weakly hopped.

My wife loves Porter, also very very weakly hopped.

IPA, and especially the whicked strong-hop IPA of the US right now is just the FOTM as the craft industry tests the boundaries of Amerixan tastes.

Archived