Beer Snob Thread (Craft beer)

Morrissey

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

17ae768ba960faec87cd734186d63a3d.jpg

Double (I.e. Imperial) Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout. A robust 8.3%

Great stout that is the base for both the KBS and CBS. Founders just does darks better than anyone, and this year's Breakfast was so great. I stocked up because I know I'll still want some come summertime.

Bottles of their Imperial are now out. Do yourself a favor and buy at least one extra 4-pack and age it for at least a year. Their Imperial ages very well.

You're lucky I don't give you a warning point for this post!  :mad0222:

I love my IPAs. I developed the taste for hoppy beers back when I was homebrewing. Experimenting with chinooks for flavor rather than just bitterness, northern brewers, dry-hopping with cascades. I love all that stuff. Sometimes they can get a little out of hand (like the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ales of a few years back) and taste like you're drinking a tree, but overall I find that the good brewers are finding a nice balance. Give Dogfishhead's Burton Baton a try, and try to tell me that's not a delicious beer. 

Now you fruits who put fruit in your beer...  we have an issue, there. Reinheitsgebot, ftw!

100%

Just had this discussion with my Dad who drinks beer every day for the last 50 years lol.. I think IPA's are an acquired taste, but once you do, you love them. Told him to give them a chance

Two breweries here out of Chicago that I think will be going national some time in the near future, if you come across them buy a few bombers and enjoy.

Pipeworks. Right out of the Chi, they produce some pretty wacky beers that are very interesting to try, including this White Russian Imperial Stout.

103931.jpg

And Three Floyds, which is a top notch brewery that produces some of the best IPAs and stouts in the Midwest.

This stout, which they also do a bourbon version of which is amazing:

Three-Floyds-Blot-Out-the-Sun-Imperial-S

And this APA, which legit might be the best APA in the world.

3f-zombie-dust-1024x780.jpg

Two breweries here out of Chicago that I think will be going national some time in the near future, if you come across them buy a few bombers and enjoy.

Pipeworks. Right out of the Chi, they produce some pretty wacky beers that are very interesting to try, including this White Russian Imperial Stout.

103931.jpg

And Three Floyds, which is a top notch brewery that produces some of the best IPAs and stouts in the Midwest.

I'm really jealous of the beers you have access too in the Midwest, 3 Floyds, and the 3-5 breweries in Chicago. I've heard amazing things about Pipeworks.

I'm really jealous of the beers you have access too in the Midwest, 3 Floyds, and the 3-5 breweries in Chicago. I've heard amazing things about Pipeworks.

No doubt. Local Option, Revolution...etc. They're all great. I have off on a few weekdays as well, so I'm able to go at downtimes and not deal with crowds. Beer lover's dream. Driving distance to Founders and Bells in Michigan too. We're heading up for KBS week in March, can't wait.

One of the other great things about the Midwest is that it's juuuust on the fringe of the more limited Pacific and Colorado releases geographically, so we get the best of both American craft beer worlds.

Pipeworks is an interesting brewery. I can safely say that none of their beers are the best in anything, but what they do well is think out of the box. I think over time they are going to blow some minds, because once they master the processes on some of these recipes it's going to be a fun time tasting everything.

Re: 3 Floyds, there are some state laws in Indiana that limit the production of smaller breweries. There is a campaign to change them and they will hopefully be changed soon. Once they are I would fully expect to be getting all their stuff out East within the year. They've been prepping for it for a while.

So my brother lives in Valparaiso and he came into town yesterday to visit. I had him pick me up a six-pack of Robert the Bruce from 3 Floyds so I could see what all the fuss was about. Out of all their stuff, it looked like the one I'd probably be into the most. Interestingly enough, the liquor store he got it at kept all their 3 Floyds stuff behind the counter.

Haven't tried it yet; I might crack open a couple during the Super Bowl, though.

robertthebruce.jpg

So my brother lives in Valparaiso and he came into town yesterday to visit. I had him pick me up a six-pack of Robert the Bruce from 3 Floyds so I could see what all the fuss was about. Out of all their stuff, it looked like the one I'd probably be into the most. Interestingly enough, the liquor store he got it at kept all their 3 Floyds stuff behind the counter.

Haven't tried it yet; I might crack open a couple during the Super Bowl, though.

robertthebruce.jpg

I don't know what it is, but my taste buds have still yet to jump on the scotch ale train.

pyramid-breweries.jpg

In honor of the great city of Seattle.  If your ever in Seattle the brewery is across the street from Centurylink field and has a great restaurant inside.

Here's another beer that's a big-time staple in Seattle:

Wife and I have been wanting to take a PNW for a while now. Have you gotten down to Deschutes or Hair of the Dog down in Portland?

So my buddy brought over 3 growlers from cricket hill brewery for the super bowl

2iiwh6u.jpg

One was a combo of ale and lager. the other one was  pumpkin ale. and the last one was an ipa with like 10% alcohol. it was really good, but I got pretty ****ed up. i really like the growlers because nothing beats beer right outta the tap.

All beer does is make you fat. By the time I'm buzzed I'm full. Blah.

I remember there was a poster back on JI whose name was Hess station that sent me a really really cool Becks light. Lol remember that? That was really cool of you. I still got it

103931.jpg

OMG I want.  Zombie beer FTW.

One was a combo of ale and lager. the other one was  pumpkin ale. and the last one was an ipa with like 10% alcohol. it was really good, but I got pretty ****ed up. i really like the growlers because nothing beats beer right outta the tap.

I wish more bars would get filling machines. They're expensive as all hell, and you have to train staff extensively on how to use them, but it's pretty amazing buying a growler and letting it age or being able to let it sit until you're ready to drink it.

I wish more bars would get filling machines. They're expensive as all hell, and you have to train staff extensively on how to use them, but it's pretty amazing buying a growler and letting it age or being able to let it sit until you're ready to drink it.

Can you let that age without it going flat? It wasn't capped, it was just twisted closed. He told me it's good for 3-4 days. He owns the actual growlers and just gets them filled.

Can you let that age without it going flat? It wasn't capped, it was just twisted closed. He told me it's good for 3-4 days. He owns the actual growlers and just gets them filled.

If it's done with a filling station, yes. This is very different from the machines you have likely seen in most places, where they just poor the beer into the growler and then cap it. Filling stations clear out the growler using CO2 and then fill them from the bottom via counter-pressure filling. It's more or less a giant bottling machine.

Problem is they cost about 15-20k, so only a very small number of places nationwide have them. I have heard that they take a lot of training to learn how to use as well, so there is also that to worry about re: cost with the staff.

• 2 weeks later...

Mrs. RJF had a shift at the hospital today so we celebrated Valentines yesterday. Went to an event on the North side for a tapping of Firestone Walker's Sucaba and Goose Island BCBS Vanilla Rye. The BCBS was phenomenal as usual, but the Sucaba was something else. If you like barley wines this beer is a real treat. Not too sweet and it has just enough of an ale texture to make sure you don't confuse it with a stout, which I find to be a big problem with a lot of barley wines..

20140116-075438.jpg

Two excellent bombers of Pipeworks cracked yesterday. The cereal beer is worth trying, but definitely needed to be sweeter to live up to the name. The mint stout, however, was very good. Tasted like a glass of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

B9BfmKuIIAURUQs.jpg

10296939_648632628523387_794177266_a.jpg

And this. One of the best imperial stouts I've had in quite some time.

ten-fidy.jpg

I hit Binny's yesterday and picked up a couple of good ones:

I decided to try the new KCCO Gold Lager since I liked the Black Lager. Really smooth; would be a good summer beer.

beer-gold.png

I also picked up some Belhaven Scottish Ale. It is also very tasty. 

Scottish-Ale-1.jpg

I had several bottles of Bell's Expedition that I had been aging which we cracked last night. I do love the bitterness of Russian Imperials but the aging fits this beer so well, the bitter really settles down over time and allows for the chocolate to come through. I love this stout fresh but in terms of Russian Imperials this is the best I've ever experienced with aging. The bottles we drank last night were at 6 months, I have another 2 that I'm going to do for a full year. Most definitely my favorite brew from Bells.

Expo.PNG

Dark Horse Plead the 5th is out. If you are a fan of imperials you are going to want to start calling around for this one. It's usually quite limited but well worth tracking down. IMO this is what imperials are supposed to be, the roast and chocolate flavors really shine through and there is no aging required to get rid of the bitter, unless you like that part.

bbpt5.jpg

Archived