Beer Snob Thread (Craft beer)

Morrissey

I hit Binny's yesterday and picked up a couple of good ones:

I decided to try the new KCCO Gold Lager since I liked the Black Lager. Really smooth; would be a good summer beer.

beer-gold.png

I also picked up some Belhaven Scottish Ale. It is also very tasty.

Scottish-Ale-1.jpg

I've been drinking Belhaven from my local pub for a few years now. I didn't realize they had changed the bottles. I have to go look now!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Wednesday night I went to Indianapolis to watch my Knicks scrubs get beat up by the Pacers. After soldiering through a Budweiser, I decided to seek out some of the craft stuff they offer at Banker's Life Fieldhouse. I tried this local brew called Sun King and was really impressed. Very smooth and goes down easy.

635508010680224164-sunkingpint.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Lines for Hopslam? Jesus I am spoiled.

The only place that got any in this town was Total Wine and they only got what they term as a "two week" supply. It sold out in one morning. 

You are spoiled. 

But not as spoiled as people in Seattle. They have access to two of my favorites that aren't even bottled - Manny's Pale Ale and Mack & Jack's Afircan Amber. 

The only place that got any in this town was Total Wine and they only got what they term as a "two week" supply. It sold out in one morning.

You are spoiled.

But not as spoiled as people in Seattle. They have access to two of my favorites that aren't even bottled - Manny's Pale Ale and Mack & Jack's Afircan Amber.

Eh, Manny's is not in the same league as Zombie Dust.

Not sure of anyone has discussed this yet, but what do you all think of this "modern" bar idea that's come about, PourMyBeer?

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/01/20/self-serve-beer-taps-coming-to-bar-near/

etertertrt54645646.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

If you hate waiting in line at a crowded bar for your next brew, Josh Goodman has got a solution for you.

Goodman, CEO of PourMyBeer -- a self-service beer system, is looking to revolutionize the way you drink.

"I was hanging out with my friends at a Baltimore sports bar before an Orioles game," the 36-year-old told CNNMoney. "We just couldn't get another beer served to us quickly."

Goodman launched PourMyBeer in Chicago in 2008 and, after a $20,000 injection of his own money, started partnering with a U.S. manufacturer to make beer tables with two or four service taps.

In 2009, a Baltimore tavern became the first bar to pick up his system and since then Goodman has grown his business to over 200 in 28 states and Canada.

Customers buy a radio-frequency identification--or RFID-enabled wristband or card to access the machine. Simply tap the access point, select a beer, and start tapping.  The units dispense only 32-ounces and no more than two beers at a time and the customer pays for exactly what they pour, kind of like pumping your own gas. 

PourMyBeer is opening this week at Chicago's O’Hare Airport and expanding internationally to locations in Brazil and Italy later this year.

Table units start at $4,000 up to $16,000 for the “beer walls” which can display multiple taps. Goodman estimates that he’ll bring in $2 million in revenue by the end of 2015—his most profitable year to date.

One big benefit to Goodman’s beer system is the excitement it generates from bar goers eager to pour their own pints.

"People take pictures of themselves using it, and tag their friends," he said. "That's great advertising for us and it's also indirectly driving more traffic to the bars and restaurants."

https://www.get-offline.com/inspiration/experience-the-downpour-at-clouds-brewing

large_10666236_1492875390960363_11523426

Clouds Brewing is a bar for all the young folk out there with new fangled smartphones and such things. Just kidding—sort of. This new Raleigh bar and brewpub has a millennial, cyber-age twist. When you walk in, you'll purchase a bracelet, add some credit to it, and then, YES, pour your own beer!

Here's the nitty-gritty, the Pour My Beer system that Clouds Brewing uses calculates how many ounces of beer that you pour and then subtracts it from the credit that you added to your bracelet. Yeah, it's pretty sweet. Actually, we're flipping out—this might be our new favorite spot.

The beer made by Clouds Brewing is primarily of a German style, and the American cuisine served is characterized by it's fusion with German flavor profiles. Come pour, drink, and celebrate this incredible city.

Cheers, we'll see you at the tap.

Not sure of anyone has discussed this yet, but what do you all think of this "modern" bar idea that's come about, PourMyBeer?

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/01/20/self-serve-beer-taps-coming-to-bar-near/

etertertrt54645646.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

If you hate waiting in line at a crowded bar for your next brew, Josh Goodman has got a solution for you.

Goodman, CEO of PourMyBeer -- a self-service beer system, is looking to revolutionize the way you drink.

"I was hanging out with my friends at a Baltimore sports bar before an Orioles game," the 36-year-old told CNNMoney. "We just couldn't get another beer served to us quickly."

Goodman launched PourMyBeer in Chicago in 2008 and, after a $20,000 injection of his own money, started partnering with a U.S. manufacturer to make beer tables with two or four service taps.

In 2009, a Baltimore tavern became the first bar to pick up his system and since then Goodman has grown his business to over 200 in 28 states and Canada.

Customers buy a radio-frequency identification--or RFID-enabled wristband or card to access the machine. Simply tap the access point, select a beer, and start tapping.  The units dispense only 32-ounces and no more than two beers at a time and the customer pays for exactly what they pour, kind of like pumping your own gas. 

PourMyBeer is opening this week at Chicago's O’Hare Airport and expanding internationally to locations in Brazil and Italy later this year.

Table units start at $4,000 up to $16,000 for the “beer walls” which can display multiple taps. Goodman estimates that he’ll bring in $2 million in revenue by the end of 2015—his most profitable year to date.

One big benefit to Goodman’s beer system is the excitement it generates from bar goers eager to pour their own pints.

"People take pictures of themselves using it, and tag their friends," he said. "That's great advertising for us and it's also indirectly driving more traffic to the bars and restaurants."

https://www.get-offline.com/inspiration/experience-the-downpour-at-clouds-brewing

large_10666236_1492875390960363_11523426

Clouds Brewing is a bar for all the young folk out there with new fangled smartphones and such things. Just kidding—sort of. This new Raleigh bar and brewpub has a millennial, cyber-age twist. When you walk in, you'll purchase a bracelet, add some credit to it, and then, YES, pour your own beer!

Here's the nitty-gritty, the Pour My Beer system that Clouds Brewing uses calculates how many ounces of beer that you pour and then subtracts it from the credit that you added to your bracelet. Yeah, it's pretty sweet. Actually, we're flipping out—this might be our new favorite spot.

The beer made by Clouds Brewing is primarily of a German style, and the American cuisine served is characterized by it's fusion with German flavor profiles. Come pour, drink, and celebrate this incredible city.

Cheers, we'll see you at the tap.

Yeah, we have these in the Chi. They're cool but for crafts I don't think we'll ever see places doing this. The table units that he talks about already exist at a place called Fatpour up the block from me. They are very cool, but for limited stuff I can't ever see a restaurant owner pouring this way. People wind up overpouring constantly, which is fine when it's Sam Adams or Newcastle or whatever, but you can't use these for tappings.

Yeah, we have these in the Chi. They're cool but for crafts I don't think we'll ever see places doing this. The table units that he talks about already exist at a place called Fatpour up the block from me. They are very cool, but for limited stuff I can't ever see a restaurant owner pouring this way. People wind up overpouring constantly, which is fine when it's Sam Adams or Newcastle or whatever, but you can't use these for tappings.

Well wouldn't the rate be controlled by the fact that:  1) Typically you pay something like $30 upfront to "load" the bracelet, and 2) the craft beers are more expensive?  I would think that would even out the effects, no?

Well wouldn't the rate be controlled by the fact that:  1) Typically you pay something like $30 upfront to "load" the bracelet, and 2) the craft beers are more expensive?  I would think that would even out the effects, no?

Not exactly, you have to remember that with crafts the alcohol content is significantly higher, so the pours are much smaller. Dark Lord or Uncle Jacob's for example, you're talking 15-16% beers right there, and most places do 6-8 oz pours of those. 

In the event that it's a beer that can be poured in pints, you get two pours per bracelet, so what I've seen some people do is they pour two for themselves, or even worse, they'll order a large glass of something, keep the glass, and then just refill the big glass with two pours. It's not a matter of covering the cost, the beer is going to sell regardless. It's a matter of ensuring as many people as possible get a pour. There's kind of an unspoken agreement with tappings that everyone gets one pour and that's it.

• 2 years later...

I figured there would be a beer thread on JN- not disappointed. 

I’m sure I’m late to the party, but over the past year and half, between my own bach and ones that I’ve organized for my friends, I’ve gone to Denver, Austin and Nashville. Portland and Milwaukee are up soon. Done a whole lot of craft breweries - some which are straight up garbage, but a lot of which are phenomenal. 

Anyway, I’m looking to retroactively backfill my beer experiences, so figured I’d post here. My current favorite is Jai Alai, but I tried this recently purely for cultural aesthetics, and it was pretty good. 

breakingbud.jpg

Archived