White out on Sunday

Maxman

attend_zps31125c03.jpg

I respect that sentiment, but you're wrong.  Even in a brutal year, the Jets are #1 in attendance in the AFC, there are 5,000 more fans per Sunday on average than the best seasons in Giants Stadium, and we dwarf the Patriots they'd need a 9th regular season home game just to match us.

Are we the equivalent of Seattle with their tiny upright stadium?  No.  But we've got a 12th man in MetLife.  Always have, always will.

SAR I

I'm not arguing attendance. I'm saying that jets fans aren't that great. I've been to almost every game in MetLife and many at Giants stadium and while numbers say that we turn out well, I think as a fan base we suck. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not arguing attendance. I'm saying that jets fans aren't that great. I've been to almost every game in MetLife and many at Giants stadium and while numbers say that we turn out well, I think as a fan base we suck. 

You suck. My fandom is fierce. I'm the 12th through 26th man.

Same here, season tickets since '01 at Giants Stadium and Day 1 at MetLife.  There are two reasons why we are subdued at times:

1.  No NFL fanbase has been as close to a Super Bowl for the past 18 years than the Jets.  While most don't realize it, we've just had our 'golden era'.  With a healthy quarterback, we averaged 9.5 wins a season from 1997-2011, subtract the Pennington injuries (3 seasons) and the Testaverde injury (1) and we were a consistent playoff threat or postseason participant.  No other NFL team was that close for so long without getting to the Super Bowl.

2.  Rex Ryan's style produces boring football that frustrates fans.  Ground & Pound and a stifling D wins a lot of close games but it's maddening most times.  Even our most exhillerating home wins of the Ryan era we'd sit there, furious at how badly we were playing, then boom, we go and beat Houston and are almost angry that the team got rewarded for such a terrible showing.

SAR I

attend_zps31125c03.jpg

I respect that sentiment, but you're wrong.  Even in a brutal year, the Jets are #1 in attendance in the AFC, there are 5,000 more fans per Sunday on average than the best seasons in Giants Stadium, and we dwarf the Patriots they'd need a 9th regular season home game just to match us.

Are we the equivalent of Seattle with their tiny upright stadium?  No.  But we've got a 12th man in MetLife.  Always have, always will.

SAR I

And when the Niners, Steelers and Cowboys came to town the past few years, the 12th man was kind enough to wear their jersey.

I didn't realize how high Jet fan attendance was, as SAR I said, Jets seem to be top in the AFC year in and year out pretty much.

But when it comes to stadium noise, things have changed with the new stadium and I think a lot of it has to do with the $$$ pushing the loud, die hard fans out of the stadium in favor of docile corporate types. The loudest I've ever heard a Jets crowd which also happens to be the loudest thing I've ever heard was the crowd at the 2009 home opener against the Pats in the old giants stadium. I've been to a few games since then and nothing has matched that noise level.

And when the Niners, Steelers and Cowboys came to town the past few years, the 12th man was kind enough to wear their jersey.

Happens in every NFL stadium throughout the league.  Stubhub changes everything.  Tons of Jets fans easily get tickets in New England, Miami, you'll see tons in Green Bay.

I'm as diehard a fan as they come and I can't make every game every season, too many soccer games, dance recitals, holidays.  Remember, even though there are 78,000 sold seats there are only 26,000 season ticket holders (at the last published average of 3 seats per account) so if, say, 10% of those holders can't attend 2 games a year, that's 7,800 seats up for grabs.  Old days, you'd have no way to get paid for them so you'd give 'em to your next door neighbor.  Today, put 'em on Stubhub and they're gone in a few hours, usually to an enemy fan.

Again, nothing different about MetLife or the Jets fanbase.  It's this way with every team now.

SAR I

Happens in every NFL stadium throughout the league.  Stubhub changes everything.  Tons of Jets fans easily get tickets in New England, Miami, you'll see tons in Green Bay.

I'm as diehard a fan as they come and I can't make every game every season, too many soccer games, dance recitals, holidays.  Remember, even though there are 78,000 sold seats there are only 26,000 season ticket holders (at the last published average of 3 seats per account) so if, say, 10% of those holders can't attend 2 games a year, that's 7,800 seats up for grabs.  Old days, you'd have no way to get paid for them so you'd give 'em to your next door neighbor.  Today, put 'em on Stubhub and they're gone in a few hours, usually to an enemy fan.

Again, nothing different about MetLife or the Jets fanbase.  It's this way with every team now.

SAR I

That is true to an extent. But what happened two years ago I think against the Niners was embarrassing. That doesn't happen in every NFL stadium.

And if you are missing games, you aren't as "diehard as they come". It doesn't make you a bad person. Just saying there are people that don't miss games. My daughter isn't allowed to do dance because the recitals are on Sunday. None of my kids are allowed to play travel soccer because of the Sunday conflict. We go to mass on Saturday night. If someone gets married on a Sunday for whatever reason, we won't be there.  :)

I didn't realize how high Jet fan attendance was, as SAR I said, Jets seem to be top in the AFC year in and year out pretty much.

But when it comes to stadium noise, things have changed with the new stadium and I think a lot of it has to do with the $$$ pushing the loud, die hard fans out of the stadium in favor of docile corporate types. The loudest I've ever heard a Jets crowd which also happens to be the loudest thing I've ever heard was the crowd at the 2009 home opener against the Pats in the old giants stadium. I've been to a few games since then and nothing has matched that noise level.

The stadium is quiet, I think it has to do in part with the design and also in part because of the boxes int he middle, there is no noise coming from there at all imo.

This myth about the "rich guys pushing out the loud guys" has to stop as its simply not true.

The typical PSL was $4,000 or $13 a game over the course of the 30 year commitment.  That's a beer and a hot dog.  For fans used to spending $150 for tickets and parking and food, what's another $13?  And that's the 2008 average.  By 2009 the Jets had lower corner PSL's for as little as $2,000 or $6.50 a game. 

The rich guys didn't push out the loud guys; the loud guys used PSL's as an excuse to try out the PSL-free upper deck and then when the Jets stopped making the playoffs they bailed completely.  I love all Jets fans, hard to say a bad word about my brothers, but the people who usually complain the most about the noise level and passion in the stadium are the ones who quit on the team.  Its their voices that are missing.  Can't blame those of us who stuck it out here during the tough times.

SAR I

That is true to an extent. But what happened two years ago I think against the Niners was embarrassing. That doesn't happen in every NFL stadium.

And if you are missing games, you aren't as "diehard as they come". It doesn't make you a bad person. Just saying there are people that don't miss games. My daughter isn't allowed to do dance because the recitals are on Sunday. None of my kids are allowed to play travel soccer because of the Sunday conflict. We go to mass on Saturday night. If someone gets married on a Sunday for whatever reason, we won't be there.   :)

The Niners game was a special circumstance, I didn't attend that game, here's why:

The NFL scheduled the Jets an unprecidented three straight home games.  SF, HOU, IND

Additionally, the 2012 season was one of the weakest home schedules ever, the only non-division game that would draw any interest from fans on the aftermarket would have been the Niners.  The others-  Colts, Cardinals, Texans, Chargers, very lame.

So if you're a season ticket holder and you can't attend every home game because of the kids and you have to pick one home game to miss, it was the 49ers game.  We were not going to win, it was the first of three consecutive home games, it was the only game that on the aftermarket you were guaranteed to get your money back on.

SAR I

The rich guys didn't push out the loud guys; the loud guys used PSL's as an excuse to try out the PSL-free upper deck and then when the Jets stopped making the playoffs they bailed completely.  I love all Jets fans, hard to say a bad word about my brothers, but the people who usually complain the most about the noise level and passion in the stadium are the ones who quit on the team.  Its their voices that are missing.  Can't blame those of us who stuck it out here during the tough times.

SAR I

At the 2009 opener, we hadn't been to the playoffs since 2006, hadn't won a playoff game since 2004, and at that point in the season no one had any idea we'd end up in the AFCCG and yet it was still the loudest I ever heard. In 2010 and 2011 I went to three games, all wins, and nothing matched that noise level from 2009, and the fanbase had more of a reason to get out and make noise, in 2010 we were expected to go far, and in 2011 we had high expectations again.  Something changed when we entered the new stadium, maybe some of it is the acoustics of the building itself, but to me it feels like the composition of the crowd changed and I don't think it was fans quitting on the team while the team was doing well in 2010 and early 2011.

The stadium is quiet, I think it has to do in part with the design and also in part because of the boxes int he middle, there is no noise coming from there at all imo.

No denying that, but please keep in mind its that way in every other NFL stadium except Seattle and that's for a different reason.

I lived in New England for 14 years and attended 15 Jets/Patriots games up there, they've got the same club seat situation as we do, their stadium is simply not very loud, it's quieter than MetLife, yet they win a ton of games. 

Not saying we should think we're Rangers fans in the MSG blue seats circa 1985 here, but saying it's all relative compared to other teams, the Jets fanbase isn't any worse than 30 other NFL franchises right now.

SAR I

At the 2009 opener, we hadn't been to the playoffs since 2006, hadn't won a playoff game since 2004, and at that point in the season no one had any idea we'd end up in the AFCCG and yet it was still the loudest I ever heard. In 2010 and 2011 I went to three games, all wins, and nothing matched that noise level from 2009, and the fanbase had more of a reason to get out and make noise, in 2010 we were expected to go far, and in 2011 we had high expectations again.  Something changed when we entered the new stadium, maybe some of it is the acoustics of the building itself, but to me it feels like the composition of the crowd changed and I don't think it was fans quitting on the team while the team was doing well in 2010 and early 2011.

sanch_zps3423d4c6.jpg

I was at that game too, one of my favorite memories, my kids ordered me a photo from the Daily News of that game, framed it for me for my birthday.

Again, it was a special circumstance.  Our new head coach was a wonderful New Yorker.  We traded up to get a potential stud quarterback.  We smoked the Texans 24-7 the week before.  And here were against our rivals.  Stage was set, we were pumped up beyond belief, most definitely was a 12th man there.

The same energy was found at our 2002 home playoff game vs. Indianapolis.  Again, a really big deal, bought into a bright future with a shiny new head coach and a shiny new quarterback.  Same noise level was there during the Ravens and Cowboys openers at MetLife Stadium too.

The crowd hasn't changed.  Rex Ryan's style is boring, we spend half the game cheering for a third down stop, lucky to see a single offensive TD per week. 

SAR I

The Niners game was a special circumstance, I didn't attend that game, here's why:

The NFL scheduled the Jets an unprecidented three straight home games.  SF, HOU, IND

Additionally, the 2012 season was one of the weakest home schedules ever, the only non-division game that would draw any interest from fans on the aftermarket would have been the Niners.  The others-  Colts, Cardinals, Texans, Chargers, very lame.

So if you're a season ticket holder and you can't attend every home game because of the kids and you have to pick one home game to miss, it was the 49ers game.  We were not going to win, it was the first of three consecutive home games, it was the only game that on the aftermarket you were guaranteed to get your money back on.

SAR I

I never sell my tickets, so I don't ever think about the aftermarket.  That game was an embarrassment though. I have been to away games that were more friendly for Jets fans.

The crowd hasn't changed.  Rex Ryan's style is boring, we spend half the game cheering for a third down stop, lucky to see a single offensive TD per week. 

SAR I

The crowd has changed from the old stadium to the new stadium. That isn't really something I consider debatable. But it isn't entirely due to money, PSLs, or anything of that nature. Some of it has to do with the times.  Things are just different today.

In the old stadium back in the day a guy in my row in Section 334 would bring a portable propane space heater into the stadium.  If someone tried that today it would make the news.

There were blow up dolls, hats on fire and lots of crazy stuff that we will never see again (I am not saying any of this is good \ except maybe the blow up dolls lol).  But the crowd has changed over the years.

I never sell my tickets, so I don't ever think about the aftermarket.  That game was an embarrassment though. I have been to away games that were more friendly for Jets fans.

Understood, but I'm talking about the average fan, 45 year old dad with a few kids, despite his desires he just can't miss 10 soccer games, 10 dance recitals, 10 football games, 2 holidays.  Typical season ticket holder, you miss 2 games a year.  If the team is really bad and the weather isn't cooperative, make it 3.

As you well know, we'll hit the road at 10, get to the stadium by 11, watch the game, leave at 4, home by 5.  That's 7 hours, a full day leaving the wife to hold the bag muttering curses as she drives the Honda Odyssey from travel game to travel game.  She comes home, makes dinner, dad walks in, not too happy that the Jets lost again and scored one measly touchdown, she thinks to herself "I just did a full day's work solo for that?"

She's not wrong.

SAR I

The crowd has changed from the old stadium to the new stadium. That isn't really something I consider debatable. But it isn't entirely due to money, PSLs, or anything of that nature. Some of it has to do with the times.  Things are just different today.

In the old stadium back in the day a guy in my row in Section 334 would bring a portable propane space heater into the stadium.  If someone tried that today it would make the news.

There were blow up dolls, hats on fire and lots of crazy stuff that we will never see again (I am not saying any of this is good \ except maybe the blow up dolls lol).  But the crowd has changed over the years.

I hear ya, and flying lawnmowers and the Gate D sprials were a blast in their own way, and yes, things have changed but I think it's deeper than that and something we don't do too often-  look at the big picture.

The Jets were an absolute yo-yo to their fans for almost a decade.  Up one year and down the next.  It was really hard on us:

1994:  Looking good, fake spike, ugh.

1995:  The Kotite abyss.  Can't get worse, right?

1996:  It got worse.

1997:  Parcells is here, playoffs!  Detroit?  Ugh.

1998:  This is it!  10 point lead in Denver!  Super....ugh.

1999:  This is it!  I mean it this time!  Testaverde achilles.  Ugh.

2000:  No team has ever missed the playoffs opening 6-1!  Ugh.

2001:  Testeverde is back!  We're winning the division,  Pats win Super Bowl.

2002:  Jets win division!  Jets win playoff game!  Pennington is the man.  Not in Oakland though.

2003:  We found our franchise QB!  Pennington hurt.

2004:  We're back!  We win playoff game!  Worst offensive coordination in playoff history.

2005:  We found our franchise QB!  Pennington hurt.

2006:  Mangini is the man!  10 wins!  Embarassed at NE.  Ugh.

2007:  We found our franchise QB!  Pennington hurt.

2008:  Brett Favre?  8-3 with a month to go!  Ugh.

2009:  What a HC!  We found our franchise QB!  Collapse in Indy, we'll get 'em next year.

2010:  What a HC!  We found our franchise QB!  A Pittsburgh loss destroys the franchise.

2011:  Disaster.

2012:  Disaster.

2013:  Whoa!  We're a playoff team, 7 games left, 6 against losing teams.  Not close to a wildcard.

Up down up down up down up down.

It takes its toll.

SAR I

PSLs changed everything. STHs who couldn't or wouldn't pay PSLs gave up their tickets. People who had money but weren't die hard fans bought STs and sell off tickets. The people who sit around me and my friends sections change from game to game. It's not the same crowd anymore.

I've sat in every stadium, every level and this is the worst crowd of them all. No one should even attempt to defend them.

I hear ya, and flying lawnmowers and the Gate D sprials were a blast in their own way, and yes, things have changed but I think it's deeper than that and something we don't do too often-  look at the big picture.

The Jets were an absolute yo-yo to their fans for almost a decade.  Up one year and down the next.  It was really hard on us:

1994:  Looking good, fake spike, ugh.

1995:  The Kotite abyss.  Can't get worse, right?

1996:  It got worse.

1997:  Parcells is here, playoffs!  Detroit?  Ugh.

1998:  This is it!  10 point lead in Denver!  Super....ugh.

1999:  This is it!  I mean it this time!  Testaverde achilles.  Ugh.

2000:  No team has ever missed the playoffs opening 6-1!  Ugh.

2001:  Testeverde is back!  We're winning the division,  Pats win Super Bowl.

2002:  Jets win division!  Jets win playoff game!  Pennington is the man.  Not in Oakland though.

2003:  We found our franchise QB!  Pennington hurt.

2004:  We're back!  We win playoff game!  Worst offensive coordination in playoff history.

2005:  We found our franchise QB!  Pennington hurt.

2006:  Mangini is the man!  10 wins!  Embarassed at NE.  Ugh.

2007:  We found our franchise QB!  Pennington hurt.

2008:  Brett Favre?  8-3 with a month to go!  Ugh.

2009:  What a HC!  We found our franchise QB!  Collapse in Indy, we'll get 'em next year.

2010:  What a HC!  We found our franchise QB!  A Pittsburgh loss destroys the franchise.

2011:  Disaster.

2012:  Disaster.

2013:  Whoa!  We're a playoff team, 7 games left, 6 against losing teams.  Not close to a wildcard.

Up down up down up down up down.

It takes its toll.

SAR I

Reading that makes me realize....the Jets gave up on Herman Edwards way too early.

Understood, but I'm talking about the average fan, 45 year old dad with a few kids, despite his desires he just can't miss 10 soccer games, 10 dance recitals, 10 football games, 2 holidays.  Typical season ticket holder, you miss 2 games a year.  If the team is really bad and the weather isn't cooperative, make it 3.

As you well know, we'll hit the road at 10, get to the stadium by 11, watch the game, leave at 4, home by 5.  That's 7 hours, a full day leaving the wife to hold the bag muttering curses as she drives the Honda Odyssey from travel game to travel game.  She comes home, makes dinner, dad walks in, not too happy that the Jets lost again and scored one measly touchdown, she thinks to herself "I just did a full day's work solo for that?"

She's not wrong.

SAR I

That's nothing. 

Here is T0mShanes gameday. 

This is my game day experience:

10:00-10:17 AM: Get in car, fill tank ($44), buy road snacks ($9).

10:17-11:00 AM: Drive south, cross George Washington Bridge, start wait in turnpike traffic.

11:00-11:50: Endure 50 minutes of traffic to travel remaining five miles.

11:50 AM-12:23 PM: Wait in line to pay $50 to park.

12:23-1:00 PM: Look for parking spot far enough away from Jagermeister-crippled bros desperate to bounce a football off of, then piss on my car.

1:00-1:26: Make the three mile walk from non-premium parking area to entry of giant air-conditioning unit/Cell Block D-inspired stadium.

1:26-1:35: Pay $48 for two non-carbonated warm beers and cold hot dog. Cringe at sight of working fireplaces in luxury boxes populated by JP Morgan execs who think Joe Willie Namath was the name of the guy who killed John Lennon.

1:35-1:45 PM: Climb stairs to seats, undoubtedly next to entitled daddy's-boy wearing a brand-new Santonio Holmes jersey, who smells like weed and Rumplemintz and vomit.

1:45-1:48: Having missed eight minutes of game action, quickly determine that I missed four Mark Sanchez incompletions. Regardless, Jets' PA announcer screams "And that will be a Jets...," and some in the crowd celebrate a FIRST DOWN, because that's what title contenders do.

1:48-1:49 PM: Listen to drunk, stoned entitled daddy's-boy next to me declare that if he hears anyone booing Mark Sanchez, he's gonna "kill 'em yo."

1:49-1:50 PM: Attempt to determine what the foreign solid entity that I just swallowed while sipping my $12 beer was. Convince myself it's a peanut shell.

1:50:36-1:50:48 PM: Pray it was a peanut shell.

1:51-1:56 PM: Entitled daddy's boy begins booing Sanchez.

1:57 PM-1:58 PM: Begin process of pretending I don't have to piss.

1:59-2:06 PM: Focus on game action. Wonder what Matt Slauson thinks he's doing out there. Wonder if Mark Sanchez blocks out sounds of booing by reminding himself that he banged some really hot chicks recently. Wonder why Shonn Greene acts like he stepped on a land mine after every run. Reminisce about the glory days of the Glenn Foley Era.

2:07-2:12 PM: Consider to what extreme the escalating hostilities between the entitled daddy's boy and the angry Hispanic Sanchez fan seated behind me will reach.

2:12-2:13 PM: Entitled daddy's boy uses the words "faggot mexican" to describe Sanchez. Elect to find bathroom.

2:13-2:55 PM: Find bathroom, wait in line, bottleneck at door, ponder how a sports arena installs bathrooms containing only three urinals. Piss. Bottleneck at exit door.

2:56-3:17 PM: Need to buy food product to get the taste of uncarbonated beer out of my mouth. Decide on pretzel ($6). Pretzel is frozen and wet. Paradox?

3:18-4:12 PM: Find seat, watch rest of game, stadium empties, entitled daddy's boy bleeding from right eye. Angry Hispanic Fan escorted out. Wonder why Tebow is fist-pumping after a three-yard gain. Consider that a portion of Jets fanbase will consider this particular Jets loss "no big deal" because "the Bills lost, too." Gain new understanding as to why Jets' business model succeeds despite lack of success. Paradox?

4:13-5:23 PM: Stare at line for bottlenecked elevator. Gain new understanding as to why every posited zombie apocalypse scenario begins with 99.7% of human race perishing within first 12 hours. Make trek across parking lot. Fans puking behind cars, throwing footballs at each other, cursing Parcells. Get to car, admire football-shaped dent in door; pool of piss around front tire.

5:24-6:17 PM: Wait in giant traffic melange to get on turnpike. Listen to postgame show. Bob Wischusen declares that loss, really, was a win. Listen to Rex consciously attempt to sound glum. Listen to Sanchez describe how well he played on the 48% of plays in which he completed a pass.

6:18-8:34 PM: Drive home. Wonder what I was thinking. Curse life. 

I kinda like the idea, raiders are wearing black and we'll be all white. Jets are handing out #whiteout towels to the fans as they enter the building. Didn't the Jets do something similar last year against the Pats at home? Green out maybe? They were serving green beer and gave out towels etc We won that game so hey maybe it works.

Yes they did do that against Pats last year at home. Oh what a game..

I truly don't want to wear my Bart Scott road authentic because, well, I hate Bart Scott but today I went to Sports Authority and Modells looking for a white t-shirt to wear to the game and they didn't have a single one.  Everything's green.

Go to the Jets website, same thing, out of 150 t-shirts I think I saw one marginally white one.

So Rex is asking us to show up in our Yankees jerseys I guess.

SAR I

Or you could just park your BMW and swing by the store at the Metlife and pick up a white t-shirt, jersey or whatever.

She's not wrong.

SAR I

See... now you're not actin a fool on some nonsense that's neither true nor funny, not to mention played out beyond belief.

It's not bad, right? And chances are you might not get destroyed on it.

I am undecided on the white out. I would have to buy white Jets gear. Everything I have is green.

I got a couple whites... Pennington and Favre authentic signed by Jason Taylor (LOL)

I wear it on special occasions. First time I wore it, I stepped outside and some douchy Pasts* fan in a Brady jersey talked some jibberish trash to me about how much Favre sucks, and I just said "Yeah, we'll see about that won't we bud!" About 2 hours later Brady tore his ACL and the Jets won the game. LOLZ. I love that shirt!

I got a couple whites... Pennington and Favre authentic signed by Jason Taylor (LOL)

I wear it on special occasions. First time I wore it, I stepped outside and some douchy Pasts* fan in a Brady jersey talked some jibberish trash to me about how much Favre sucks, and I just said "Yeah, we'll see about that won't we bud!" About 2 hours later Brady tore his ACL and the Jets won the game. LOLZ. I love that shirt!

That shirt has special powers, lol.  Much like the girl in your signature.

Or you could just park your BMW and swing by the store at the Metlife and pick up a white t-shirt, jersey or whatever.

I don't carry bags or such things inside the stadium and my manservant isn't attending this Sunday. What I put on at the estate before booting up the car is what I wear all game.

SAR I

Archived