Hill: Media exaggerated how many passes I dropped

PFT
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 4, 2014, 6:45 AM EDT

Stephen Hill, the former second-round draft pick who was cut last week after just two seasons with the Jets, says he didn’t play as badly as has been suggested.

Hill, who is now on the Panthers’ practice squad, says his reputation for dropping passes was more a function of the media coverage of the Jets than an accurate reflection of the way he played.

“Well honestly that was New York Jets media that did that,” Hill said, via the Charlotte Observer. “If you really go back and look at it, there were guys at other facilities that dropped more than I did. As a receiver you’re going to drop passes. You’re going to catch footballs. Things like that happen; it’s just that the New York media – and honestly this is me talking – did all that. They can say what they want to say about me, but I really don’t care. I’m in a new place now. They tried their best to get me out of there.”

Hill is just 23 years old and is a phenomenal athlete, and he may still become an effective receiver in the NFL. But he’d be wise to stop blaming the media for his problems. Hill is gone from New York because the Jets decided he wasn’t good enough, not because of the media.

Oh, dear ...

Edited by FloridaJetsFan

Hill's best route would have been to shut up, head down, and catch lots and lots of balls everytime one was thrown to him.

Playing the "Media Martyr" card.....weak.

Maybe I was wrong, maybe cutting him was the best decision for the Jets.

He's right...he didn't have nearly as many drops as people want to believe he did, but he's  a professional athlete.  He should be doing everything he can to prove the doubters wrong, not talking about the media.

• Upvote 1

Hill,

Face it you were a bust. The media did not invent you dropping me. It just happened that you could not hold on to me. Yes, you are speedy but who cares if you CAN'T CATCH ME. Anyway, good luck in Charlotte and enjoy the food.

Your Friend,

Well Thrown Pass

• Upvote 1

PFT

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 4, 2014, 6:45 AM EDT

Stephen Hill, the former second-round draft pick who was cut last week after just two seasons with the Jets, says he didn’t play as badly as has been suggested.

Hill, who is now on the Panthers’ practice squad, says his reputation for dropping passes was more a function of the media coverage of the Jets than an accurate reflection of the way he played.

“Well honestly that was New York Jets media that did that,” Hill said, via the Charlotte Observer. “If you really go back and look at it, there were guys at other facilities that dropped more than I did. As a receiver you’re going to drop passes. You’re going to catch footballs. Things like that happen; it’s just that the New York media – and honestly this is me talking – did all that. They can say what they want to say about me, but I really don’t care. I’m in a new place now. They tried their best to get me out of there.”

Hill is just 23 years old and is a phenomenal athlete, and he may still become an effective receiver in the NFL. But he’d be wise to stop blaming the media for his problems. Hill is gone from New York because the Jets decided he wasn’t good enough, not because of the media.

Oh, dear ...

It wasn't just the drops. It was the dumb . The guy had no idea what it took to be an NFL wideout. He ran crap routes, did not know how to reach up and catch a ball over his head, and had greasy fingers. Plus, he missed time both seasons. Other than that, he was fine.

If I was his WR coach I would teach him how to catch with his eyes closed. No joke.

I would line him up in front of a jugs machine and fire footballs at his helmeted head with his eyes closed.

After 50 balls or so I'm sure he'd either "get it", or learn that open eyes make it easier.

#probowl

the real eye opener is how few targets he gets. his own QB's just don't trust him

There have been a lot of games where Sanchez or Smith didn't throw it to him even thoguh he was open.

Edited by Bugg

But neither is Alshon Jeffrey, that doesn't feel good. Cue your blood boiling.

I purposely stayed away from that fact. F'ing Tannenbaum. Til this day I simply cannot understand how he passed on dude with those hands, whats worst is that he traded up to do so. Its sickening really. 

Edited by Villain The Foe
  • Upvote 1

I purposely stayed away from that fact. F'ing Tannenbaum. Til this day I simply cannot understand how he passed on dude with those hands, whats worst is that he traded up to do so. Its sickening really.

Traded up for someone who would be sat there anyway. The Alston Whiff, and Bradway wanting us to drafting Russell Wilson and Tanny picking Hill instead was Epic, worst 2nd round Jets bust of all time.

Traded up for someone who would be sat there anyway. The Alston Whiff, and Bradway wanting us to drafting Russell Wilson and Tanny picking Hill instead was Epic, worst 2nd round Jets bust of all time.

Yeah, I forgot about that Wilson fact as well. Thought I think that Geno will make things rather fine with his performance this year. I have to admit, I'm not really concerned with the QB position. I've always liked his demeanor and disposition. He comes off as a winner.