2014-2015 New York Islanders

Big L

Some interesting line pairings at camp today - Iknow its still only TC, but roster and pairings should start to take shape this week.  

Looks like Pulock may be ahead of Reinhart.  Conacher paired with JT & KO. Viz apparently left the ice with leg injury this AM, and CdH is also day-to-day.  Curious to see how the defense pairings shake out -- I assume if healthy, CdH would be paired up with Hamonic.

#Isles 1st group lines today: Conacher-Tavares-Okposo, Grabovski-Nelson-Kulemin, Lee-Nielsen-McDonald, Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck.

#Isles 1st group D/G: Hickey-Visnovsky, Donovan-Hamonic, Strait-Pulock. Halak and Johnson the goalies.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After one, isles had a 2 goal lead. Outshot the devs 11-3. Now tied in the third, isles with 19 shots, devils with 24.

Clueless Cappy at work again?

yes Capuano is part of it, but this is exactly why they needed veteran defensemen this offseason. one or two guys (they didn't have to be superstars, just older, solid guys) who know how to grab the puck and stop the bleeding and could teach the younger guys to do the same, lead by example. it was an absolute must, and garth whiffed.

yes Capuano is part of it, but this is exactly why they needed veteran defensemen this offseason. one or two guys (they didn't have to be superstars, just older, solid guys) who know how to grab the puck and stop the bleeding and could teach the younger guys to do the same, lead by example. it was an absolute must, and garth whiffed.

I agree completely. After we flirts with Boyle at the beginning of the offseason, I really expected to see a veteran d-man added to the roster. With the glut of forwards that we have, I was certain that we would move one or two to bring in a defenseman. I have heard that Nick Leddy was available from Chicago and that Torrey Krug was available from Boston - both young guys but with a ton of big game experience.

Still have a week before the season starts, so maybe something will still happen, but I would have thought a move would have been made by now. I am not going to kill Garth, as I still think he had a good offseason, but a vet D-man could have made it great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC, Garf was on the radio a few months ago with Joe and Evan.  They were on for Mike at the time.  I thought they said Garf would be on weekly.  Anyone heard if Garf will be on, and when, with Joe and Evan?

Thanks, I have the DVR set. 

For a pre-season game, I don't know if that says more about me as a fan or that I need to get a life

If you saw tonight's lines compared to the Bruins I doubt you'll watch it. It is that bad......but at least we get Poulin. :sign0182:

From Newsday.com.  Tonights game-

Here is the roster for Thursday night's Islanders-Devils game in Newark:

Forwards

Josh Bailey-Alan Quine-Colin McDonald

Anders Lee-Frans Nielsen-Ryan Strome

Cory Conacher-Mikhail Grabovski-Nikolay Kulemin

Eric Boulton-Kael Mouillierat-Mike Halmo

Defensemen

Thomas Hickey-Travis Hamonic

Aaron Ness-Scott Mayfield

Griffin Reinhart-Brian Strait

Goalies: Jaroslav Halak/Chad Johnson

What does it all mean?

The Lee-Nielsen-Strome line could be one to watch. If Strome can find some chemistry on Nielsen's right, that bodes well for him earning a spot out of camp. That would mean Strome has to do some physical work along the walls and show the sort of "battle level" that Jack Capuano always likes to see.

If Strome can do that, and if he can form a solid two-way tandem with Nielsen, then Strome could very well find himself on that presumptive third line opening night.

Lee has a shot to impress as well, and he too could earn an opening-night spot with a strong showing. He's had a middle-of-the-road camp, which is never good for a player that doesn't need waivers. He wouldn't be hurt by bouncing around the left side if the Isles needed him in different spots.

Bailey is not exactly getting a prime-time look Thursday night, which seems to be yet another example of the staff trying to light a fire under him. If Lee shines and Bailey does not tonight in what one would assume is their last preseason game, Lee could take Bailey's spot on the third line opening night.

The Conacher-Grabovski-Kulemin trio gets a second look. Its first look, last week at the Coliseum, was a bit of an eyesore, but Conacher played a feisty game on Tuesday in Boston and has earned another crack at this top nine spot. We'll see what he does with it.

As for who's not in, it's quite clear that Capuano will have Brock Nelson with John Tavares and Kyle Okposo on Friday night against the Bruins in Bridgeport. Without any evidence that there's a better option to work with Tavares and Okposo, this likely will be the first line on the ice in Raleigh a week from Friday.

Hickey and Hamonic are missing their regular partners, so it's worth a look to see how they play together in case it's a needed pairing later on.

Reinhart gets another chance to face an opponent's NHL regulars -- the Devils are starting what may closely resemble their opening-night forward group -- and thus try to win a spot that seemed to be his when camp began.

Capuano said Thursdat morning that Halak will play the full game Thursday night. Halak wasn't thrilled with his last full game, the 4-2 loss to Carolina last week, so he's had plenty of time to sharpen his skills.

Roster moves announced this AM -- nothing surprising:

At noon, 5 #Isles cuts go on waivers: K. Poulin, D. Leggio, H. Zolnierczyk, J. Skille, A. Ness.

#Isles made 16 cuts, 11 non-waivers: Collberg, Gallant, Halmo, Mouillierat, Persson, Quine, Sundstrom, Mayfield, Pedan, Pelech, Pokka.

Looks like they got the veteran D-man they  needed, Johnny Boychuk is now an Islander:

Breaking: #Isles have acquired D Johnny Boychuk from the Bruins for a 2015 2nd, a 2016 2nd and a conditional 2015 3rd round pick.

Not a bad afternoon for Garth, Isles acquired both Nick Leddy and Johnny Boychuk.  Its been a great offseason, now we need to make it a great season.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=733014&navid=nhl:topheads

Islanders get defensemen Boychuk and Leddy

Saturday, 10.04.2014 / 2:52 PM / News
NHL.com

The New York Islanders retooled their defense on Saturday, acquiring Johnny Boychuk from the Boston Bruins for three draft picks and Nick Leddy from the Chicago Blackhawks in a deal involving five players

The Bruins will receive second-round picks in 2015 and 2016, as well as a conditional third-round pick in 2015. They would acquire the conditional 2015 third-round choice if New York trades Boychuk during the 2014-15 season to an Eastern Conference team.

The 2015 second-round pick was acquired by the Islanders from the Philadelphia Flyers on March 4 for defenseman Andrew MacDonald.

New York will receive Leddy and goaltender Kent Simpson from the Blackhawks in exchange for defensemen TJ Brennan and Ville Pokka and the rights to goaltender Anders Nilsson, a restricted free agent who is playing in Russia this season.

The Blackhawks said Pokka and Brennan will report to the Rockford IceHogs of the American Hockey League.

Boychuk, 30, had five goals, 23 points, 45 penalty minutes and was plus-31 in 75 games for the Bruins last season. At 6-foot-2 and 225 pounds, he adds size to the Islanders' defensive corps.

He can become an unrestricted free agent after the 2014-15 season.

The trade gives Boston more salary-cap flexibility. Boychuk carries a salary-cap charge of $3,366,667 for this season, with an actual salary of $3,600,000. Before the trade, the Bruins were more than $3.6 million over the salary cap, according to CapGeek, though they can place center Marc Savard on the long-term injury list and remove his $4.027,143 salary from their cap.

Leddy, 23, had seven goals, 31 points, 10 penalty minutes and a plus-10 rating with the Blackhawks last season, his fourth with Chicago. Leddy was taken by the Minnesota Wild with the 16th pick in the first round of the 2009 NHL Draft and traded to Chicago on Feb. 12, 2010.

Brennan, the highest-scoring defenseman in the American Hockey League last season with the Toronto Marlies, was signed by the Islanders as a free agent on July 1. Pokka, a 20-year-old Finn, was taken in the second round (No. 34) of the 2012 NHL Draft. He had been assigned by the Islanders to their AHL affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, earlier in the day.

Simpson, 22, played 31 games with Rockford and one game with Chicago in 2013-14.

Great moves.  Now they just need to perform to their abilities and it'll be a fun season

I agree, the Isles now have a talented and deep set of forwards and D-men, plus two solid goalies.  Great offseason for Garth -- hopefully it leads to a great season.  I have not been this excited about the start of a hockey season in a long time.  

Looks like its all on Cappy's shoulders now. Anyone believe he's on a short leash? I believe he gets one losing streak and they start calling coaches if/when a second losing streak happens...

I wish.  Cappy has nude photos of Garf and the Wanger together wearing womens underwear.  Cappy ain't going nowhere until Garf and the Wanger are gone.

But seeing as how the Jets season is completely unwatchable, I will definitely be spending a lot of time focusing on the Isles early.

Can't wait!

I wish. Cappy has nude photos of Garf and the Wanger together wearing womens underwear. Cappy ain't going nowhere until Garf and the Wanger are gone.

But seeing as how the Jets season is completely unwatchable, I will definitely be spending a lot of time focusing on the Isles early.

Can't wait!

Let's hope they get off to a good start for our sanity.

The blue line looks better than a few days ago so the holes have been addressed on paper anyway...

Let's hope they get off to a good start for our sanity.

The blue looks better than a few days ago so the holes have been addressed on paper anyway...

Yep!  I am cautiously optimistic about this season.  Seems like the roster is upgraded from last year.  We'll see.  Then again, like the Jets, it could go completely down the shltter quick in November.

Yep! I am cautiously optimistic about this season. Seems like the roster is upgraded from last year. We'll see. Then again, like the Jets, it could go completely down the shltter quick in November.

Last season was a wasted year because they couldn't get the blue line help and expand the secondary scoring. They had issues stabilizing games let alone losing steaks. These haunted them..

From Newsday.com-

Johnny Boychuk, Nick Leddy excited about playing major roles with Islanders

Johnny Boychuk and Nick Leddy arrived on Long Island on Sunday, put on their gear and practice jerseys Monday morning and went right to work: Boychuk with the Islanders' first power-play unit and Leddy with the second for pre-practice special-teams duty.

It was an early indication that the Isles' two new defensemen aren't here merely to shore things up. They will be leading the way on a defense that will look vastly different when the puck drops Friday in Raleigh, North Carolina.

"We knew coming in that we need a threat up top for our power play, and he's got a big shot, a hard shot, and that can open up room for some other guys down low," coach Jack Capuano said of Boychuk. "Nick's an elite skater, very deceptive moving the puck, and we'll give him an opportunity as well. They're going to play some minutes."

Quite likely as a pair at even strength, too.

Boychuk and Leddy got to know one another when they arrived at the Long Island Marriott, then on the short walk to Nassau Coliseum.

Boychuk, 30, was quoted as being quite upset by the Saturday trade from the Bruins, for whom he played five seasons and won a Stanley Cup in 2011. But he was all smiles on the ice and in the locker room after his first practice.

"It's sad to say goodbye, but now it's a new beginning and there's some good things that'll be happening here," Boychuk said. "I know I'll be having a bigger role than I had in Boston. I'm up for the challenge and I can't wait to get in front of these fans. There's good things happening for us."

Leddy, 23, had been hearing rumors all summer that the salary cap-strapped Hawks were shopping him around. After playing a more limited role on a defense with Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook and Johnny Oduya, Leddy will get a chance to play bigger minutes as an Islander.

"It was a wild process. There were rumors for most of the summer," he said. "It kept growing and growing more toward the season. It's a relief that it's over and I'm happy to be here."

Capuano is thrilled, too, especially because of injuries to key regular defensemen. Calvin de Haan (upper body) was placed on injured reserve Monday and Ryan Pulock (lower body) and Lubomir Visnovsky (back) still are sidelined. Pulock and Visnovsky could join de Haan on IR by Tuesday.

But now the coach has two more top-four defensemen to go with Travis Hamonic and likely Thomas Hickey to start. Rookie Griffin Reinhart likely will make his NHL debut Friday if Pulock and Visnovsky are out.

"Obviously, we are banged up," Capuano said. "[Leddy and Boychuk] will alleviate some minutes from Hamonic and Hickey. We've got the depth up front now and we've got the depth on the blue line where we don't have to play a guy 27, 28 minutes."

Notes & quotes: Michael Grabner (lower body) also was placed on IR and defenseman Kevin Czuczman was sent to Bridgeport, leaving the Isles with only one forward to choose before rosters must be set Tuesday. Anders Lee appears to be the odd man out up front.

it's gross that Lee is in Bridgeport and Bailey is with the team.

I agree. I understand why Lee is the odd man out, but I loved what he brought to the team during his stint last year. I am hoping maybe they are showcasing Bailey for a trade to recoup a pick or two, but with his contract, that is going to be a longshoreman at best.

I agree. I understand why Lee is the odd man out, but I loved what he brought to the team during his stint last year. I am hoping maybe they are showcasing Bailey for a trade to recoup a pick or two, but with his contract, that is going to be a longshoreman at best.

I hope this as well, but don't expect much...although I didn't expect Leddy and Boychuk either, maybe I'll be surprised.

FYI kids...Rick DiPietro is interviewing Garth Snow on ESPN radio tonight at 8 PM. this has the potential to be the greatest interview of all time.

Anywhere to listen to this online, even though it happened last night?

Great first two games. Really played like a team. Sticking up for each other, too. Gotta get a little better on the PK though. Owed Carolina a couple beatdowns. Hopefully beat the Ramgers on Tuesday

DirecTV Center Ice question- i get MSG+, but isles games are blacked out, so i get them on Center Ice. I also get MSG, and the Rangers games (yay me.).

Center Ice usually has both the home and away feeds. Will the Islanders Center Ice feed be blacked out, so i have to watch the Rangers feed on MSG? I have to DVR the game, i wont be home until 8:30. Want to be sure to DVR the right channel. Or maybe i DVR both just in case....

Archived