Schlereth: Decker a 'marginal No. 2' WR

JetsFanInDenver

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- If ESPN analyst Mark Schlereth worked in the New York Jets ' personnel department, it's safe to assume they wouldn't have signed wide receiver Eric Decker as a free agent. They certainly wouldn't have given him a $15 million guarantee.

Schlereth, a guest Wednesday on ESPN New York 98.7, suggested the Jets overpaid for someone he described as a second-tier receiver.

"Decker, in my mind, was your fourth option in Denver, and that’s the talent I think he has," said Schlereth, himself a former member of the Denver Broncos. "I think he’s a marginal No. 2 at best. The worst cover guy you have on your defense is assigned to Eric Decker every week. New York will go crazy watching him be covered one-on-one and incomplete passes, throwing his arms up, begging for flags."

Schlereth also said, "I’m telling you, New York, get ready, begging for flags like, ‘I was interfered with; that’s the only reason I didn’t catch that ball’ every play and then tripping over his own feet. Going for a big play and, all of a sudden, the turf monster gets him, bam, sniper, down. It will drive you crazy. It will absolutely drive you crazy."

He predicted Decker will catch 40 to 50 passes. That, of course, would be a major disappointment.

To be fair, the Jets never have billed Decker as a true No. 1 receiver, although it's obvious they perceive him as the best receiver on the team.

Listen, Decker had to get open to catch the passes he did. I grant that Peyton found him more than an ordinary QB would have. But he still had to be open. Peyton does not possess the kind of arm strength to force completions any more. He is a big receiver with a big body and he will catch passes.

Does anyone know or care to know and acknowledge that 15 million isn't #1 WR money? Why do I have to hear about the Decker contract every time he's brought up as if it's some kind of ******* mega deal? 

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK 

Is this a bullsh!t reach of a decision based on what he actually thinks Geno Smith will provide at QB ? If so that's an easy cop out prediction. We as Jets fans are well aware Geno will have to produce if our WR's are going to have big years.  If so screw this Idiot. Decker may very well be a low end number 1 solid number 2 but he's not a bottom tier WR

He's probably not wrong. He's not getting paid like a #1. So what's the big deal?

I watched enough Denver games to know he's exaggerating just a little bit about how he performs on the field. Guy can get open and move the chains and that's a big improvement from last years receiving squad.

Pretty harsh criticism. Marginal #2 at best? For real? Ironic timing when it comes to the whole Welker story... maybe he's wishing that Decker was still in Denver.

He's butt hurt as hell about him not being in Denver now. No question about it. He still doesn't know what to do after that SB beatdown and now this Welker thing has him in a panic. 

He was the 4th option last season? OK. He was targeted the 2nd most, recorded the 2nd most receptions, had the 2nd most receiving yards and averaged the 2nd most yards per game.

Marginal 2 at best? OK, he had back to back 1,000 yard seasons. All because of Peyton Manning? OK, with Tebow and Orton in his 2nd year, he put up 612 yards. And he was productive in college. And he looked good this preseason.

I'm sure Denver fans really hated him when he was putting up back to back 1,000 yard seasons. "Sure, that's productive, but have you seen him look for flags? Ugh! Can't stand this guy; run him out of town!" LOL.

He was the 4th option last season? OK. He was targeted the 2nd most, recorded the 2nd most receptions, had the 2nd most receiving yards and averaged the 2nd most yards per game.

Marginal 2 at best? OK, he had back to back 1,000 yard seasons. All because of Peyton Manning? OK, with Tebow and Orton in his 2nd year, he put up 612 yards. And he was productive in college. And he looked good this preseason.

I'm sure Denver fans really hated him when he was putting up back to back 1,000 yard seasons. "Sure, that's productive, but have you seen him look for flags? Ugh! Can't stand this guy; run him out of town!" LOL.

Stoicsentry, on the road to recovery. 

Archived