Schlereth: Decker a 'marginal No. 2' WR

JetsFanInDenver

He was the 4th option last season? OK. He was targeted the 2nd most, recorded the 2nd most receptions, had the 2nd most receiving yards and averaged the 2nd most yards per game.

Marginal 2 at best? OK, he had back to back 1,000 yard seasons. All because of Peyton Manning? OK, with Tebow and Orton in his 2nd year, he put up 612 yards. And he was productive in college. And he looked good this preseason.

I'm sure Denver fans really hated him when he was putting up back to back 1,000 yard seasons. "Sure, that's productive, but have you seen him look for flags? Ugh! Can't stand this guy; run him out of town!" LOL.

And my favorite stat: Since 2012, Eric Decker is tied (with Jimmy Graham) for most red-zone TDs, with 18. 

He was the 4th option last season? OK. He was targeted the 2nd most, recorded the 2nd most receptions, had the 2nd most receiving yards and averaged the 2nd most yards per game.

Marginal 2 at best? OK, he had back to back 1,000 yard seasons. All because of Peyton Manning? OK, with Tebow and Orton in his 2nd year, he put up 612 yards. And he was productive in college. And he looked good this preseason.

I'm sure Denver fans really hated him when he was putting up back to back 1,000 yard seasons. "Sure, that's productive, but have you seen him look for flags? Ugh! Can't stand this guy; run him out of town!" LOL.

Thanks Izdick.

He's a lot better than what we had, and the best we could reasonably do as far as upgrading the position in Free Agency.

What more do people want?

Life-long football fans and they are 100% bought-in to this "not a true #1" receiver narrative.

Meanwhile, that narrative is a derivative of fantasy football tier-based rankings. It doesn't mean sh*t. Torry Smith is a #1 WR, but he doesn't stat like Calvin or Demarius, so he's "not a true #1 WR", same for guys like Anotonio Brown, Percy Harvin, Jordy Nelson... etc.

The real "problem" with Decker is that he isn't a top 5 fantasy WR. He's not AJ, Calvin, Demarius, Dez or Brandon. When people finally turn off the stupid, they'll understand that Decker is our #1 WR, despite the fact that he may not produce like one of the 5-6 best WR in the league. It doesn't mean he can't fill the role of the 1st read amongst our receiving options. He's got the size, speed and technique for it.

Furthermore, we didn't pay him like a top 5 fantasy WR gets paid. So, why people seem to need to endlessly re-state how he "isn't a true #1" is beyond me. To me, it is quite literally the least informed ongoing discussion of this entire off-season. The critique of Idzik has more relevancy than this sh*t.

I listened to this interview live and it was painful. It was like they dragged a grumpy Schlereth out of bed who just proceeded to bash Decker while Ruocco acted like he was taking Schlereth's insight (if you can call it that) seriously and Rothenberg sounded was restraining himself from being confrontational about the Decker criticism. It was really bad radio, almost as bad as Michael Kay arguing semantics about what a "must win" game meant later that day.

Archived