What was the hampur?

Maxman

Picture High School on a message board where you're picked on by guys who post weird video's of themselves and others who post their odd life stories on the internet only to disappear and come back as a jew for jesus or something.  Weird, I agree with Sar for a change.  

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do NOT want a The Hangar here. You know how you read about homeschooled triplets who are isolated from other babies and how they develop their own language, their own way of communicating and they block everyone else out? That's what the The Hangar was like. The worst clique of Jets fans ever, Jets fans with no friends and no lives acting like 7th graders at the cool-kids table. Now, you could say that's not a bad thing and, hey, it's contained in its own forum, but that's not what actually happened. After only a few months, that inside-joke cliquey group got bored in there and couldn't keep their alter-ego's in the The Hangar and unleashed it on the Landing Strip. Compounding matters, the site owner allowed his mods to spend 90% of their time in there and so his bread-and-butter message board was left practically unmoderated and overrun by inside-jokes and pile-on's by the friends of the mods found in the The Hangar.

I've been doing the discussion forum gig for 20 years, since 1994. Trust me on this one.

SAR I

A forum and sub-forum is by definition a clique: people with same interests shooting the sh*t. Inside jokes bother you? You think JN/The Lounge will be any different? It’s just as loaded with history, insider jokes, fat people and ghey mods.

The only people who were ever rudely greeted in the Hangar were people w/baggage from past posting (ie: you). I never had a problem directly with you and tbh some of the OT threads from the past where you played a role (Africa cam and some of your barbs with SBIII) were part of the reason I started posting: because I wanted to be a part of it. 

Good luck here.

Thanks for proving SAR's point.

A forum and sub-forum is by definition a clique: people with same interests shooting the sh*t. Inside jokes bother you? You think JN/The Lounge will be any different? It’s just as loaded with history, insider jokes, fat people and ghey mods.

The only people who were ever rudely greeted in the Hangar were people w/baggage from past posting (ie: you). I never had a problem directly with you and tbh some of the OT threads from the past where you played a role (Africa cam and some of your barbs with SBIII) were part of the reason I started posting: because I wanted to be a part of it. 

Good luck here.

It may be of interest to note that two of the folks here decrying the Hampur Off-Topic Forum (SAR and cr) were all but universally disliked (SAR) actively, or ignored (cr) passively.  One a main board troll, one a politics board troll, IMO and in the opinion of many others.

Haters gon hate when they're not part of the club for this reason or that.

At the end of the day, the Hampur was nothing more than an Off-Topic forum with an active core of 20-30 off-topic posters who created a community.  Like any community, some folks felt (or were) excluded, for various reasons, and some choose to exclude themselves, or didn't like the core group, or didn't enjoy the commedy, etc.

Want it or not, you don't really have a choice.  If enough folks start posting at JN Off-Topic, the same thing will happen, a community will form, and some will be included and some will be excluded, for the same variety of reasons as happened at JI.  Frankly, gieven the differences between JI and JN, I don't see a Hampur (or an active thriving Off-Topic forum) here at JN happening anyway.

Community Moderation will occur no matter what Admin wants.  Like in any social group.

For some reason, the menu bar does not appear when I access the site on my ipad.

I have the same problem when trying to post using an iPad.

I generally post on an iPad, too. I get around this stuff by typing in HTML codes for emphasis, adding pics, etc., but I'll talk to Max about seeing what we can do about getting the full version to work better on iOS. It'll make my life easier, too. :)

It hasn't happened here. Gee I wonder why?

It may be of interest to note that two of the folks here decrying the Hampur Off-Topic Forum (SAR and cr) were all but universally disliked (SAR) actively, or ignored (cr) passively.  One a main board troll, one a politics board troll, IMO and in the opinion of many others.

At the end of the day, the Hampur was nothing more than an Off-Topic forum with an active core of 20-30 off-topic posters who created a community.  Like any community, some folks felt (or were) excluded, for various reasons, and some choose to exclude themselves, or didn't like the core group, or didn't enjoy the commedy, etc.

Want it or not, you don't really have a choice.  If enough folks start posting at JN Off-Topic, the same thing will happen, a community will form, and some will be included and some will be excluded, for the same variety of reasons as happened at JI.  Frankly, gieven the differences between JI and JN, I don't see a Hampur (or an active thriving Off-Topic forum) here at JN happening anyway.

Community Moderation will occur no matter what Admin wants.  Like in any social group.

Universally disliked on the internet by grown men.  That's pretty awesome no?  Universally disliked on the internet by guys they might turn around and high five at the game without knowing their online "persona".  The community was created as a place for regulars to talk then after a while it got to a point of a "click", and ended with guys singing and universally ganging up on people they don't like (as achieved through private message conversation).  At the end of the day it's all quite pathetic. 

The Hampur, generally speaking was a section of misfits, political junkies, jocks etc. where  some liked the Jets, but deep down most love the Jets, but were also somewhat tired, or even done with the Jets. Some traveled from far as France, and Cali. The Hampur was a place to gather round and poke fun at a player, the team, and more often than not at one another, it was a release not just revolving around football, but life.

Universally disliked on the internet by grown men.  That's pretty awesome no?  Universally disliked on the internet by guys they might turn around and high five at the game without knowing their online "persona".  The community was created as a place for regulars to talk then after a while it got to a point of a "click", and ended with guys singing and universally ganging up on people they don't like (as achieved through private message conversation).  At the end of the day it's all quite pathetic. 

People interact with the people they like, be it in person, or online, and avoid the people they don't. 

Yes, grown men.  Young men too.  Women as well.  How many close personal friends do you have ,in the real or online, that you don't like or enjoy interacting with?  Exactly. 

The fact the interaction is online is irrelevant, people are people, interaction is interaction.  Human nature is what it is.

I'll say it again, it happens on every forum, everywhere, every time.  It's happening here on JN as we speak and always has, only at JN it happens in the main forum (which borders on Off-Topic a goodly portion of the time anyway), not in a subforum like the Hampur.

You appear to have alot of anger over being dismissed/ignored at JI.  Thats pretty lame for a "grown man" isn't it, why do you care if a bunch of chuckleheads on an Off-Topic forum at a Jets site didn't like you as much as you wanted, didn't someone else you liked, if thats the case?  Given your quote above, it should be water off a ducks back anyway, since you're a grown man.  Clearly, it's not tho.

You posted in the Hampur kinda regularly for a while.  When or why you stopped posting, I don't know.  But now you just drop a few insults and leave.  Doesn't that seem...pathetic?  For a grown man?  

You posted in the Hampur kinda regularly for a while.  When or why you stopped posting, I don't know.  But now you just drop a few insults and leave.  Doesn't that seem...pathetic?  For a grown man?  

Like I said above, it was what it was until it became to quote SAR above "the cool kids wanna be lunch table".  I had a kid got busy and stopped posting as regular.  I'm not insulting just calling it like I see it, but if that isn't the popular opinion you get trampled.  It's all good, this site is what it is, and unfortunately the other site turned in to aol 1.0, sad to see that happen. 

Like I said above, it was what it was until it became to quote SAR above "the cool kids wanna be lunch table".  I had a kid got busy and stopped posting as regular.  I'm not insulting just calling it like I see it, but if that isn't the popular opinion you get trampled.  It's all good, this site is what it is, and unfortunately the other site turned in to aol 1.0, sad to see that happen. 

I hate that you just quoted sar.  How is the kid, by the way?  I remember us PMing as we were both becoming first time fathers.  Wife and I have three now.  I hate pulling out. 

I hate that you just quoted sar.  How is the kid, by the way?  I remember us PMing as we were both becoming first time fathers.  Wife and I have three now.  I hate pulling out. 

Daughter is amazing, 4 going on 21.  Damn 3, you'll have a reality show on TLC in no time.  Wife and I are undecided on another, one day we want one day we don't...

Can someone help me understand what the hampur was? Off topic forum? 

No different then JN's lounge.  I suspect the reason your asking is to help the new JI refugees feel more at home.

No reason to start another board, if they want to reform their club I'm sure they will just go to the lounge, give it some type of insider's nick name and resume the meetings.  

Usenet is what message boards were before the sexy software. Back in 1994, you could talk Jets just like we do here in a forum called alt.sports.football.pro.ny-jets which one could access by using Outlook Express. So not only does it pre-date JI, pre-dates this place too. Many of the long-time JI posters were together in that usenet forum from 1994 to 2005 when the traffic nose dived due to the likes of vBulletin based Jets sites. Suddenly we were all alone, figured out where everyone had gone, we joined up and continued the conversation.

You do NOT want a The Hangar here. You know how you read about homeschooled triplets who are isolated from other babies and how they develop their own language, their own way of communicating and they block everyone else out? That's what the The Hangar was like. The worst clique of Jets fans ever, Jets fans with no friends and no lives acting like 7th graders at the cool-kids table. Now, you could say that's not a bad thing and, hey, it's contained in its own forum, but that's not what actually happened. After only a few months, that inside-joke cliquey group got bored in there and couldn't keep their alter-ego's in the The Hangar and unleashed it on the Landing Strip. Compounding matters, the site owner allowed his mods to spend 90% of their time in there and so his bread-and-butter message board was left practically unmoderated and overrun by inside-jokes and pile-on's by the friends of the mods found in the The Hangar.

I've been doing the discussion forum gig for 20 years, since 1994. Trust me on this one.

SAR I

You're just mad because your money can't buy you any friends, even on the internet.

I fear nothing.

People interact with the people they like, be it in person, or online, and avoid the people they don't. 

Yes, grown men.  Young men too.  Women as well.  How many close personal friends do you have ,in the real or online, that you don't like or enjoy interacting with?  Exactly. 

The fact the interaction is online is irrelevant, people are people, interaction is interaction.  Human nature is what it is.

I'll say it again, it happens on every forum, everywhere, every time.  It's happening here on JN as we speak and always has, only at JN it happens in the main forum (which borders on Off-Topic a goodly portion of the time anyway), not in a subforum like the Hampur.

You appear to have alot of anger over being dismissed/ignored at JI.  Thats pretty lame for a "grown man" isn't it, why do you care if a bunch of chuckleheads on an Off-Topic forum at a Jets site didn't like you as much as you wanted, didn't someone else you liked, if thats the case?  Given your quote above, it should be water off a ducks back anyway, since you're a grown man.  Clearly, it's not tho.

51458664.jpg

You're just mad because your money can't buy you any friends, even on the internet.

I'm not mad at all. I like it here. Not sure why you feel the need for personal attacks. JI is dead, the The Hangar is dead, it's a new day, it's all very good. Time to move on.

SAR I

As someone with way too many posts in the Hampur I'll respectfully disagree with your point.  The fact is that there was and is always room at the "lunch table" for anyone over there.  It's an open group, anyone can post, but like most sub forums you end up with 20-30 high volume posters.  What made the Hampur different was that no one took themselves too seriously, you couldn't have thin skin.  It is self-deprecation, silly observations, and hijinks at it's finest and the reason it worked was because it was so different than the main JI board where too many people made proclamations and grandiose statements about the Jets or related topics that ended up going down in flames with bannings and hurt feelings.  The Hampur grew because the tightwads posting on the main board often made life unbearable over there.

I remember you from over there, Mike, and I wondered what happened to you.  Glad to hear about the kid....that's actually a great reason to stop or slow down on posting.  But the idea that the Hampur was exclusive and cliquey just doesn't ring true with me.  At least not the way I see it.

The fact that the JN culture seems to be a lot more open, joking, etc. on the main board is probably the reason that a "hampur" wasn't really needed here.  The culture of the Hampur was almost anti - JI Landing Strip, in fact, the Hampur was a place to go to just shake your head when the inevitable "Fire Rex, Fire Idzik, move the Jets to LA" threads pop up and go to 20 pages during the 4th quarter of a game, or when someone spends weeks and months antagonizing half the fanbase simply because they sit in the upper deck at home games.

There are some epic threads over there.  Sure, a lot of them are littered with "inside jokes" or things you'd have to have spent a lot of time on the board to understand, but others are just plain straightforward and funny.  Fish's funny/stupid/cool picture thread is the perfect example.  It probably rivals just about anything on the web these days...over 21,000 posts, 2.4M views???  Just a fun place to visit when you need a laugh after a Jets loss.

Good luck here.

I agree with this.  The only people I ever saw have a tough time in the Hampur were those who just weren't genuine or took themselves too seriously.  You can't be an uptight hardass and take things personally when you start a thread that can and should be laughed at.  In fact, a thread started by Klecko is the perfect example..... http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/threads/177579-The-friggin-game-isn-t-on-in-Jacksonville

Not sure if putting that link there is a no-no.  If so, I'm sure a mod can just edit it out.  But that's the perfect example of the kinds of things that happen in the Hampur IMO.

I'm not mad at all. I like it here. Not sure why you feel the need for personal attacks. JI is dead, the The Hangar is dead, it's a new day, it's all very good. Time to move on.

SAR I

As someone with way too many posts in the Hampur I'll respectfully disagree with your point.  The fact is that there was and is always room at the "lunch table" for anyone over there.  It's an open group, anyone can post, but like most sub forums you end up with 20-30 high volume posters.  What made the Hampur different was that no one took themselves too seriously, you couldn't have thin skin.  It is self-deprecation, silly observations, and hijinks at it's finest and the reason it worked was because it was so different than the main JI board where too many people made proclamations and grandiose statements about the Jets or related topics that ended up going down in flames with bannings and hurt feelings.  The Hampur grew because the tightwads posting on the main board often made life unbearable over there.

I remember you from over there, Mike, and I wondered what happened to you.  Glad to hear about the kid....that's actually a great reason to stop or slow down on posting.  But the idea that the Hampur was exclusive and cliquey just doesn't ring true with me.  At least not the way I see it.

The fact that the JN culture seems to be a lot more open, joking, etc. on the main board is probably the reason that a "hampur" wasn't really needed here.  The culture of the Hampur was almost anti - JI Landing Strip, in fact, the Hampur was a place to go to just shake your head when the inevitable "Fire Rex, Fire Idzik, move the Jets to LA" threads pop up and go to 20 pages during the 4th quarter of a game, or when someone spends weeks and months antagonizing half the fanbase simply because they sit in the upper deck at home games.

There are some epic threads over there.  Sure, a lot of them are littered with "inside jokes" or things you'd have to have spent a lot of time on the board to understand, but others are just plain straightforward and funny.  Fish's funny/stupid/cool picture thread is the perfect example.  It probably rivals just about anything on the web these days...over 21,000 posts, 2.4M views???  Just a fun place to visit when you need a laugh after a Jets loss.

I agree with this.  The only people I ever saw have a tough time in the Hampur were those who just weren't genuine or took themselves too seriously.  You can't be an uptight hardass and take things personally when you start a thread that can and should be laughed at.  In fact, a thread started by Klecko is the perfect example..... http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/threads/177579-The-friggin-game-isn-t-on-in-Jacksonville

Not sure if putting that link there is a no-no.  If so, I'm sure a mod can just edit it out.  But that's the perfect example of the kinds of things that happen in the Hampur IMO.

js23 pretty much nailed it. 

JN pretty much has the 'hampur vibe' across all the boards, which I really like. No one here seems to take themselves very seriously, even (especially?) Max. 

js23 pretty much nailed it. 

JN pretty much has the 'hampur vibe' across all the boards, which I really like. No one here seems to take themselves very seriously, even (especially?) Max.

So far, there is no 8 person Hangar-like-hit-squad including 3 mods who allow that type of off-topic nonsense to happen here. It happens to be why I like it here. It's very much like JI circa 2009 before Sean let the inmates run the assylum. There's a nice tone here and its not mean spirited. How refreshing.

There's no bigger proponent to off-topic content than me, I find it quite fun. But when cliques form and the subject matter runs dry and the jollies start coming from attacking other posters it ruins everything. The Hangar was the match that lit the fire that ruined JI, got it sold for peanuts, is being absorbed and evaporated into the ether.

SAR I

I'm at a loss. I was not a "high volume" poster although I had days when I did post a lot, and I've got to say I truly loved the Hampur. It was always entertaining. I saw a minuscule  amount of the mean spirited content which seems to have bothered SAR so much, I also have no idea what he is talking about when he identifies a 8 man hit squad.

Hey, when people were down on SAR, after he left JI, I always said I had no problems with him. I continue to enjoy his posts, but he clearly has something up his arse where the Hampur is concerned. Perhaps he is frustrated that the unclean masses that populated the Hampur did not find him as engaging and entertaining as he believes himself to be. I really don't know. What I do know is that his characterizations of the Hampur are 100% not accurate.

Now, excuse me while I continue my search for something entertaining and lighthearted to replace the Hampur...

fat-batman-halloween-costume.jpg

The thing JN lacks, IMO, is the wide and diverse and very active numbers JI had.

JN is a much smaller community, and far less active (i.e. posts-per-minute).

IMO JI's flurry of posting always kept it fresh and interesting and worth reading/responding to something.

JN often I check, and little has been said new and only a few threads are active, and almost none on off-topic fun/stuff.

Just a personal thing, I like that "crowded room full of actives" posting on Jets, off-Topic, Poli-Sci, etc. vibe to keep me interested.  Sure, it comes with alot of crap to wade through, but it means they're always something worth reading/responding to as well.

Sadly, we should really get used to the idea the Hampur (and the "old JI") is gone for good now.  The members have already spread out to 3-5 different places, including some loyally staying at scout, some here, etc.

I doubt when the dust setttles most Hampurites will wind up in the same place.  Good example, I'm here, my good friend Jetworks is staying on Scout.  /shrug.

Such is the internet tho, I still remember how much it sucked when JI initiially split, and JN was formed, because so many I really liked left for JN, but so many I really liked also stayed at JI.

Meh.

Lol. We don't do the ***********.com thing around here. Besides, it's my understanding that link will be deactivating itself soon enough.

The thing JN lacks, IMO, is the wide and diverse and very active numbers JI had.

JN is a much smaller community, and far less active (i.e. posts-per-minute).

IMO JI's flurry of posting always kept it fresh and interesting and worth reading/responding to something.

JN often I check, and little has been said new and only a few threads are active, and almost none on off-topic fun/stuff.

Just a personal thing, I like that "crowded room full of actives" posting on Jets, off-Topic, Poli-Sci, etc. vibe to keep me interested.  Sure, it comes with alot of crap to wade through, but it means they're always something worth reading/responding to as well.

Sadly, we should really get used to the idea the Hampur (and the "old JI") is gone for good now.  The members have already spread out to 3-5 different places, including some loyally staying at scout, some here, etc.

I doubt when the dust setttles most Hampurites will wind up in the same place.  Good example, I'm here, my good friend Jetworks is staying on Scout.  /shrug.

Such is the internet tho, I still remember how much it sucked when JI initiially split, and JN was formed, because so many I really liked left for JN, but so many I really liked also stayed at JI.

Meh.

I signed up here and at JI around the same time, looking for a busier place than NYJetsChat, which I had helped found. And you're right, it is a personal taste, because I found the flurry of posts over at JI to just be too much. This place's posting pace had much more of the just right feel to me. It was busy, but even as a newbie to the community my posts weren't getting overrun and ignored.

What 2-4 other places are people landing? I imagine there will be another big exodus when the old JI finally goes read only.

So far, there is no 8 person Hangar-like-hit-squad including 3 mods who allow that type of off-topic nonsense to happen here. It happens to be why I like it here. It's very much like JI circa 2009 before Sean let the inmates run the assylum. There's a nice tone here and its not mean spirited. How refreshing.

There's no bigger proponent to off-topic content than me, I find it quite fun. But when cliques form and the subject matter runs dry and the jollies start coming from attacking other posters it ruins everything. The Hangar was the match that lit the fire that ruined JI, got it sold for peanuts, is being absorbed and evaporated into the ether.

SAR I

Edit:

Never mind, not worth my time.

I'm at a loss. I was not a "high volume" poster although I had days when I did post a lot, and I've got to say I truly loved the Hampur. It was always entertaining. I saw a minuscule  amount of the mean spirited content which seems to have bothered SAR so much, I also have no idea what he is talking about when he identifies a 8 man hit squad.

Hey, when people were down on SAR, after he left JI, I always said I had no problems with him. I continue to enjoy his posts, but he clearly has something up his arse where the Hampur is concerned. Perhaps he is frustrated that the unclean masses that populated the Hampur did not find him as engaging and entertaining as he believes himself to be. I really don't know. What I do know is that his characterizations of the Hampur are 100% not accurate.

First off, good to see you again, hope all is well.

Let's not make it about me, I was never comfortable with that on JI, I didn't seek the attention, it just found me. It's a new day, a new site, I'm letting bygones be byones, the Ignore feature works really well here for the few ex-JI'ers I don't want to engage with, it's peaceful and friendly here, we actually had a thread last week where we only discussed the Jets and didn't get into personal attacks (can you believe it?), you'll like it here.

SAR I

Archived