Geno Smith...

ARodJetsFan

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the most important thing.  His throws look great.  Great ball placement, decisions.  He was a little reckless running the ball, though.

That's a lot easier to fix than someone whose throws are all over the place. Having refs and receivers undo another 100+ would-be yards (not to mention a TD) didn't help his numbers any, and he still finished with decent numbers even with all that.

He's a young QB and made mistakes that a young QB makes, in his first action of the season.

I think he'll have an ok season: couple of great games, couple of stinkers, and the balance a little above or a little below average; an ok season. But he can throw and he can be dangerous with his legs as well. He's still putting it together.

I thought Geno was ok today. Made some boneheaded young player mistakes but also did enough to win, get a 98 QB rating. Kudos to the Oline. Geno looks like a lower mid pack QB on the ascent.

Our running game and defense will keep us in most games. Anyone who can't see that Geno has vastly improved isn't a jets fan IMO.

I believe the team I saw today is better than last years team by a significant margin.

Geno is good not great the problem is when we have to score 30 how can we when we can't score against the raiders .

If the Raiders D sucked you might have a point. They don't and the fumble wasn't a fumble,Salas should have caught the TD, penalties weren't on Geno.

I thought Geno was ok today. Made some boneheaded young player mistakes but also did enough to win, get a 98 QB rating. Kudos to the Oline. Geno looks like a lower mid pack QB on the ascent.

Our running game and defense will keep us in most games. Anyone who can't see that Geno has vastly improved isn't a jets fan IMO.

I believe the team I saw today is better than last years team by a significant margin.

The OL looked better than it was because Smith made it look so effortless to avoid pressure when one guy broke through the protection. Happened a bunch of times today.

The OL looked better than it was because Smith made it look so effortless to avoid pressure when one guy broke through the protection. Happened a bunch of times today.

Absolutely. Geno had to have saved at least 4 sacks. The problem becomes when he thinks he can get out of EVERY sack and ends up running backwards and out of FG range. Needs to learn when he can and can't take those risks. 

I liked what Geno did with his legs today too. Showing more confidence with just tucking the ball and running with it. Obviously the fumble was the one dark spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely. Geno had to have saved at least 4 sacks. The problem becomes when he thinks he can get out of EVERY sack and ends up running backwards and out of FG range. Needs to learn when he can and can't take those risks. 

Could be. Again, I think some of this is Vick's influence, especially the way Geno used to or does idolize his game. On the other hand, it's his first game of the season and he's just a young, inexperienced QB.

Overall I thought he looked good. Clearly not perfect, but my #1 concern is the throwing accuracy (especially considering he didn't do nothing but just dink & dunk all game long).

Could be. Again, I think some of this is Vick's influence, especially the way Geno used to or does idolize his game. On the other hand, it's his first game of the season and he's just a young, inexperienced QB.

Overall I thought he looked good. Clearly not perfect, but my #1 concern is the throwing accuracy (especially considering he didn't do nothing but just dink & dunk all game long).

This is what scares me about Geno not sliding. I know Vick is a mentor and all but dude is gonna get hurt. He needs to slide more.

His accuracy was spot on today. That Cumberland pass was a little high but still catchable. Salas (who I do like) has to make that cathe for td.

Geno is good not great the problem is when we have to score 30 how can we when we can't score against the raiders .

It was nothing the Raiders did.  The Jets had plenty of opportunities, but blew them.  Salas dropped a TD pass, Vick missed Decker, Geno fumbled on the two yard line.  Guys were getting open easily and moving the ball up and down the field at will.

If the Raiders D sucked you might have a point. They don't and the fumble wasn't a fumble,Salas should have caught the TD, penalties weren't on Geno.

Here's the prob all u guys don't think penalties are a prob they had a ton in preseason it's going to happen all year . Oakland d is terriable ! I listen to this board and all I hear is how our probs aren't problems when they are . Next week the d will not play this well and the offense can't score there is the problem . We can't score on a constant basis that's how you win constantly

I liked what Geno did with his legs today too. Showing more confidence with just tucking the ball and running with it. Obviously the fumble was the one dark spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That fumble was on Marty and not Geno. Why the heck do you have two qb's on the field at the goal line and he calls a fake for Geno in the first place. What's the point of having Ivory, Johnson & Powell? The fumble was bad, however the playcall was the worst.

That fumble was on Marty and not Geno. Why the heck do you have two qb's on the field at the goal line and he calls a fake for Geno in the first place. What's the point of having Ivory, Johnson & Powell? The fumble was bad, however the playcall was the worst.

So both of them can get knocked out of the game on the same play?  Implausible?  Only with the Jets' luck...

Agree completely. I was so much angrier at that playcall, especially since Geno had been getting banged around already in the game. And having Vick line up in slot? My God.

He seems to be late on a lot of this throws still, he waits too long for them to be "open" ... that will be trouble against a better "D"

True, but on the other hand that's a result of him learning to go through his progressions, which he's actually doing now. We haven't seen a Jets QB do that in like 7 years.

Agree completely. I was so much angrier at that playcall, especially since Geno had been getting banged around already in the game. And having Vick line up in slot? My God.

Precisely. When Geno got hit and fumbled it took him a minute to get up, I thought he was hurt. The play call was just the dumbest thing. They march down the field and they decide to get "cute" for two yards? They've named Geno the starter yet you have the need to play wildcat games, put Vick in when Geno is completing over 80% of his passes for what really? 

This play calling will cost of games against teams like the ones we will play from weeks 2-7. Shape up, stop the bullsh*t and commit to the fact that Geno is the Starter and keep Vick off the field unless we ACTUALLY need him. 

True, but on the other hand that's a result of him learning to go through his progressions, which he's actually doing now. We haven't seen a Jets QB do that in like 7 years.

Noticed this. He's scanning the field as opposed to locking in on one side or a particular receiver. Probably taking too long to do it but I'm glad to see the progression.

Even so, if memory serves the Woodson INT was a lock on and late throw scenario.. I remember thinking at the time that Decker could've made more of an effort for the ball, (And Woodson made a great play) but Geno was late on the throw, 

Even so, if memory serves the Woodson INT was a lock on and late throw scenario.. I remember thinking at the time that Decker could've made more of an effort for the ball, (And Woodson made a great play) but Geno was late on the throw, 

My recollection is that Woodson was clearly in front of Decker.  Short of wrapping him up, Decker didn't really have a chance. Still, it was a great play by Woodson and one Geno will watch over and over and hopefully learn from and not repeat too often.

I didn't see Geno's second fumble.  Was it as bad as the first?

My recollection is that Woodson was clearly in front of Decker. Short of wrapping him up, Decker didn't really have a chance. Still, it was a great play by Woodson and one Geno will watch over and over and hopefully learn from and not repeat too often.

I didn't see Geno's second fumble. Was it as bad as the first?

Woodson had to dive. Decker could have messed it up by occupying the space he was diving into. It was still on Geno though.

My recollection is that Woodson was clearly in front of Decker.  Short of wrapping him up, Decker didn't really have a chance. Still, it was a great play by Woodson and one Geno will watch over and over and hopefully learn from and not repeat too often.

I didn't see Geno's second fumble.  Was it as bad as the first?

Your recollection is off.lol  If Woodson was in front of Decker, then he wouldn't had to dive for the ball.  Woodson came out of nowhere dived and amazingly came up with the ball. 

Your recollection is off.lol  If Woodson was in front of Decker, then he wouldn't had to dive for the ball.  Woodson came out of nowhere dived and amazingly came up with the ball. 

He dove in from the side, not from behind.  http://www.raiders.com/media-vault/videos/Woodson-intercepts-Geno-Smith/087cc74b-2ed3-4a37-9e40-025620248c00

I don't think Decker had any chance on that but maybe he could have come back at it and broken it up.  Not even sure he saw Woodson either.

Archived