Antonio Allen can play fantastic (merged)

Matt39

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He definitely played well. The best part about his game yesterday was definitely his tackling. That will be especially important for us because it seems like the game plans for all these teams will be short quick passes due to the pressure that our front seven can generate. If Allen can make a tackle and allow no YAC that will kill the short pass plan. I'm hoping he can really step in at corner and play well because I think I would feel comfortable with him and Milliner as our top two CBs this year.

He's going to be versatile as hell for us. He's the best open field tackler on the team other than Landry.

Also liked him calling out the dline for playing dumb and trying to jump the snap count.

he looked great this week ... i'm trying to hold off on getting Full Er*ction excited until at least seeing how he does against Rodgers ... but am very hopeful!

I agree with both comments.  He looked real good yesterday -- made some great plays in the open field that could have been big plays for the Raiders.  But yesterday was the dress rehearsal -- he will be on the big stage on Sunday when Aaron Rodgers is on the other side of the line of scrimmage.  

I thought he was great, fantastic tackling in the open field. The only thing that worries me is the distance he sets up off the line. He may be doing it to mitigate stiff hips, but if he keeps lining up as deep as he did today, there's going to be a lot of quick stuff thrown to his man, underneath for short gains. A good WCO can dink and dunk all day on that.

totally amazed by AA.   CB is one of the hardest positions in the NFL and Allen made the transition look easy.   

When Milliner comes back Rex may be able to slide Walls inside and put an end to the Kyle Wilson experiment once and for all.    If Walls and Allen are solid and it will also allow them to draft something other than DB in rd 1 next year.  

Did Rex develop a player? Pretty amazing that a LB/S hybrid taken with a supplemental seventh rounder was out there playing NFL caliber CB, and doing it well. He definitely offers some solid versatility going forward.

In general, the CB's had very good coverage all game long.  Even the Jones TD, Walls was there, Jones just made an incredible play on the ball.

Carr was only completing pass when they were at the LOS or 2-3 yards past.  It was pretty strong coverage from all the CB's.  Even everyone's favorite, Kyle Wilson, had great coverage all game long.

Strong effort from the secondary but yeah, Allen might be a special player.  Excited to see him match up to Jordy.  He might be just long and physical enough to really disrupt him at the LOS.

he looked great this week ... i'm trying to hold off on getting Full Er*ction excited until at least seeing how he does against Rodgers ... but am very hopeful!

**** it. I've got boner pants for AA. He is the epitome of how you are supposed to grow your own talent in this league. 

He's going to be versatile as hell for us. He's the best open field tackler on the team other than Landry.

Also liked him calling out the dline for playing dumb and trying to jump the snap count.

Did you just say Landry ?? The faster Milliner gets back the better, so Allen, who can really tackle and run, pushes that pile of sh*t Landry to the sidelines. Its going to be nice to see Allen and Pryor at safety.

Allen can surely tackle and is a damn good football player IMO but as to whether he can be a very good cover corner certainly did not get tested yesterday but it will next week for sure and against Rogers.

He definitely played well. The best part about his game yesterday was definitely his tackling. That will be especially important for us because it seems like the game plans for all these teams will be short quick passes due to the pressure that our front seven can generate. If Allen can make a tackle and allow no YAC that will kill the short pass plan. I'm hoping he can really step in at corner and play well because I think I would feel comfortable with him and Milliner as our top two CBs this year.

yup---keep your man in front of you and knock his ass down.

totally amazed by AA.   CB is one of the hardest positions in the NFL and Allen made the transition look easy.   

When Milliner comes back Rex may be able to slide Walls inside and put an end to the Kyle Wilson experiment once and for all.    If Walls and Allen are solid and it will also allow them to draft something other than DB in rd 1 next year.  

Kyle Wilson may be a complete idiot making boneheaded plays and such but he's not a bad cover guy and hes not afraid to tackle which is a nice commodity when covering in the slot.  If anything I would like to see Landry warming his ass when Allen returns to Safety. Allen and Pryor have the talent to develop into one of the better Safety tandems in the NFL

Did you just say Landry ?? The faster Milliner gets back the better, so Allen, who can really tackle and run, pushes that pile of sh*t Landry to the sidelines. Its going to be nice to see Allen and Pryor at safety.

Allen can surely tackle and is a damn good football player IMO but as to whether he can be a very good cover corner certainly did not get tested yesterday but it will next week for sure and against Rogers.

Landry's a good tackler.

Landry's a good tackler.

That's you're opinion Matt I don't think the guy is good at all. Part of being a good tackler is taking the proper angles and Landry looked like an Idiot on the Raiders first TD taking the inside angle on a player obviously heading for the sidelines...that was a terrible play and he does it all the time He will be losing plenty of playing time when our secondary gets more normal with Milliner back.

Landry's a good tackler.

Not really getting the hate toward Landry.  He's nothing special but he's sure tackler, he's great vs. the run and he's probably the best blitzing safety on the roster.  He's never going to be a bench warmer.  He'll be getting minutes all year long even if Milliner returns and pushes AA back to safety.  But something tells me, AA is going to stay at corner.  The Jets have some safeties to work with between Landry, Pryor and Jarrett.

Not really getting the hate toward Landry.  He's nothing special but he's sure tackler, he's great vs. the run and he's probably the best blitzing safety on the roster.  He's never going to be a bench warmer.  He'll be getting minutes all year long even if Milliner returns and pushes AA back to safety.  But something tells me, AA is going to stay at corner.  The Jets have some safeties to work with between Landry, Pryor and Jarrett.

Yeah I dont think they'll be moving Allen back just yet. He can be our Charles Woodson type guy anyways.

I agree with both comments.  He looked real good yesterday -- made some great plays in the open field that could have been big plays for the Raiders.  But yesterday was the dress rehearsal -- he will be on the big stage on Sunday when Aaron Rodgers is on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

So far so good.

He played in camp. Played really well in Cincy and even better against the Giants. Now opening day.

Looking forward to that point when we stop worrying about his next test and just accept that he,can play.

Yeah I dont think they'll be moving Allen back just yet. He can be our Charles Woodson type guy anyways.

God I hope so.  Love me some Charles Woodson.  That pick was nasty.  Geno didnt even think he had a shot at that ball when he threw it.  You could tell he wasnt lost on the play, just shocked Woodson made that play.  Decker should have come back and fought for it but what a lay out by Woodson.  Guy is a sure fire HOF'er.

That said, who are you starting over AA at corner right now?  Walls or Wilson?  I dont think so.  Rex values corners way more than he does at safety and that is where the need is.  Pryor gives them that luxury because Landry and Jarrett are decent players.  He doesnt need to have use AA as a safety.  Rex has had success with much worse safeties.  

BTW, Pryor could be special.  He closes like really fast and lays wood.  Shame he didnt hold onto that pick.  That was pick 6 all day long...would have been a nice way to start his career. 

Kyle Wilson may be a complete idiot making boneheaded plays and such but he's not a bad cover guy and hes not afraid to tackle which is a nice commodity when covering in the slot.  If anything I would like to see Landry warming his ass when Allen returns to Safety. Allen and Pryor have the talent to develop into one of the better Safety tandems in the NFL

Wilson is NOT a good cover corner.   He's usually beaten badly in the slot and even when he does manage to cover he never gets his head around to find the ball.  I'd be willing to bet $ that the Jets simply let him walk at the end of the year.  

Wilson is NOT a good cover corner.   He's usually beaten badly in the slot and even when he does manage to cover he never gets his head around to find the ball.  I'd be willing to bet $ that the Jets simply let him walk at the end of the year.  

That has nothing to do with if he can cover or not.  They've let plenty of players walk who can play. 

He was all over his WR's yesterday.  But its cool...just focus on the time he gets beat because no corners ever get beat (meanwhile QB's are throwing for 4500 yards routinely nowadays).

That has nothing to do with if he can cover or not.  They've let plenty of players walk who can play. 

He was all over his WR's yesterday.  But its cool...just focus on the time he gets beat because no corners ever get beat (meanwhile QB's are throwing for 4500 yards routinely nowadays).

I have absolutely no idea what your point is.   Are you saying that Milliner / Walls  @ CB + Wilson as nickel is better than Milliner / Allen @ CB + Walls at nickel?  If so I disagree.   The team is better with Wilson on  the bench and some combination of Allen, Milliner, Walls on the field.   

I have absolutely no idea what your point is.   Are you saying that Milliner / Walls  @ CB + Wilson as nickel is better than Milliner / Allen @ CB + Walls at nickel?  If so I disagree.   The team is better with Wilson on  the bench and some combination of Allen, Milliner, Walls on the field.   

Not sure what was difficult to understand.  You're betting the Jets let Wilson walk and your stating its because he cant cover.  My point was, just because the Jets may let him walk doesnt mean he cant play.  They've let players walk who can.  Its not indictment on the player.  In terms of who's playing, I think the Jets should go with Milliner/AA and a combo of Walls and Wilson in the slot.  Truth is, Walls and Wilson are the same player, they can cover, they just dont know how to make a play when the ball is in the air.  

My point about the QB's passing for absurd amount of yards was just an overall statement.  People bitch and moan about Wilson getting beat all the time (which doesnt happen) but CB's get beat every single game.  If they didnt, the league wouldnt be setting all time passing records year after year.  Its a passing league, CB's get beat, its part of the game.  But nobody ever focuses on the good, just the bad...meanwhile, Matt Ryan threw for 450 yards yesterday...maybe the Saints could have used Wilson's cover skills?  lol  

Not sure what was difficult to understand.  You're betting the Jets let Wilson walk and your stating its because he cant cover.  My point was, just because the Jets may let him walk doesnt mean he cant play.  They've let players walk who can.  Its not indictment on the player.  In terms of who's playing, I think the Jets should go with Milliner/AA and a combo of Walls and Wilson in the slot.  Truth is, Walls and Wilson are the same player, they can cover, they just dont know how to make a play when the ball is in the air.  

My point about the QB's passing for absurd amount of yards was just an overall statement.  People bitch and moan about Wilson getting beat all the time (which doesnt happen) but CB's get beat every single game.  If they didnt, the league wouldnt be setting all time passing records year after year.  Its a passing league, CB's get beat, its part of the game.  But nobody ever focuses on the good, just the bad...meanwhile, Matt Ryan threw for 450 yards yesterday...maybe the Saints could have used Wilson's cover skills?  lol  

In all my years of watching the NFL i have never seen a player celebrate after getting beat as much as Kyle Wilson.   Just because the QB overthrows the WR does not mean it was good coverage.   

After McDougal, Patterson, and Milliner went down Wilson was not even in the discussion for playing time at CB.   I'd say that is the primary reason the Jets will let him walk - because they have no faith in him.    Not b/c Matt Ryan threw for 400+ yds - I'm not even sure how that's relevant.  

In all my years of watching the NFL i have never seen a player celebrate after getting beat as much as Kyle Wilson.   Just because the QB overthrows the WR does not mean it was good coverage.   

After McDougal, Patterson, and Milliner went down Wilson was not even in the discussion for playing time at CB.   I'd say that is the primary reason the Jets will let him walk - because they have no faith in him.    Not b/c Matt Ryan threw for 400+ yds - I'm not even sure how that's relevant.  

His penchant for celebrating over thrown balls doesnt make him bad because its frustrates you.  What makes him bad is his inability to make a play on the ball.  But his coverage skills are good which will keep him in this league for a while, even if it isnt with the Jets.  They will probably let him walk, you're right but its not because he's this terrible player the fans make him out to be.

For a team that doesnt have any faith in him, he sure saw a ton of playing time yesterday and he played well.

I don't know if that's necessarily true.  What have you seen that makes you think Walls can cover the slot?  Slot and outside are two completely different roles, and Wilson is actually pretty good at covering the slot. 

If he was playing like this as a fifth round pick from 4 years ago, we'd be doing backflips.  Get over the first round pick; that's a sunk cost and it isn't changing.  He could probably be upgraded in the slot, but Walls isn't a sure-fire upgrade there and "upgraded slot CB" is not going to be at the top of our wish list next offseason.  In fact, I could see him coming back on a "3rd CB money" deal more in line with his performance, and would have no problem with that

I don't know if that's necessarily true.  What have you seen that makes you think Walls can cover the slot?  Slot and outside are two completely different roles, and Wilson is actually pretty good at covering the slot. 

If he was playing like this as a fifth round pick from 4 years ago, we'd be doing backflips.  Get over the first round pick; that's a sunk cost and it isn't changing.  He could probably be upgraded in the slot, but Walls isn't a sure-fire upgrade there and "upgraded slot CB" is not going to be at the top of our wish list next offseason.  In fact, I could see him coming back on a "3rd CB money" deal more in line with his performance, and would have no problem with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ek5Zyzn3Avw

Archived