How do we feel about Geno's designed runs?

BroadwayJets

I hate them. I think he's a much better runner when he's escaping the pocket on a pass play. In my opinion he took too many big hits yesterday, and the plays that weren't a designed run ended up better than the designed qb runs. I don't think having him take big hits is going to stop him from fumbling the football...not to mention he can get injured. I think morningweig needs to be smarter about this.

Your thoughts Jetnation...

I'm fine with the read options they have him doing.  I can handle a QB draw.  The rest of that sh*t is for the birds.

He was never a running QB.  Not sure why they're trying to turn him into one.  Let him scramble, use his athleticism and pull it down and run with it when he sees some daylight, etc. but dont get him killed out there.

Geno can throw.  This is a passing league.  Lets not complicate things.  

Agree.  took too many whacks, and some of those runs (even if "designed") looked a hell of a lot like broken plays

Think the kid is a fantastic runner though, and is noticeably quicker than he was last year.  The one where he danced down the sideline for a few extra was excellent.

Agree with you there. He looked a lot smoother in his running and on that play he really impressed on me.

One thing that pissed me off yesterday was on third down when we, once again, opted for the short pass shy of the first down and got beat to many times. Why not let Geno throw the ball for a first down? He is not the same qb he was last year. The kid has taken big steps from what i´ve seen on the ps and yesterday, he is ready for bigger plays imo. At least mix it up a little bit more, it felt a bit obvious what would come.

Boy it feels good to have gone thru the first game and get answers on how the players have progressed and the additions panned out!

Now let´s hope we can play a bit smarter against Packers and get away with a W. 

Agree with you there. He looked a lot smoother in his running and on that play he really impressed on me.

One thing that pissed me off yesterday was on third down when we, once again, opted for the short pass shy of the first down and got beat to many times. Why not let Geno throw the ball for a first down? He is not the same qb he was last year. The kid has taken big steps from what i´ve seen on the ps and yesterday, he is ready for bigger plays imo. At least mix it up a little bit more, it felt a bit obvious what would come.

Boy it feels good to have gone thru the first game and get answers on how the players have progressed and the additions panned out!

Now let´s hope we can play a bit smarter against Packers and get away with a W. 

5-12 on 3rd downs for the offense, that's not very good and has to improve if they want to win in Green Bay.  They were in a lot of 3rd and longs because of penalties in which it looked like they just settled for a punt...but still, cant be converting that low on 3rd and expecting to beat better teams.

Another thing.. How great doesn´t it feel to see him play without the Sanchez "deer in headlights" expression?! :)

He is like the opposite with that.  Kid has the same blank look if he tosses a TD or throws a pick.  Most likely we will appreciate this unless he tosses more pics than TD's again this year. We will accuse him of "not caring" soon enough,. 

5-12 on 3rd downs for the offense, that's not very good and has to improve if they want to win in Green Bay.  They were in a lot of 3rd and longs because of penalties in which it looked like they just settled for a punt...but still, cant be converting that low on 3rd and expecting to beat better teams.

Yes. Instead of throwing that short hopeless (insert correct play here) pass, test them with different types of plays BEYOND the marker. Why not even go long every now and then? Just don´t play it safe every goddamn time.

He is like the opposite with that.  Kid has the same blank look if he tosses a TD or throws a pick.  Most likely we will appreciate this unless he tosses more pics than TD's again this year. We will accuse him of "not caring" soon enough,. 

I can live with that as long as he plays as he does now or better. :)

Geno can throw, please Marty let him throw.

Don't really understand the value of Vick lining up as a WR at all. Also, we also have some good power backs and some good redzone targets, why are we still running the same chicken sh*t offense that we were running when we didn't actually have those things?

The only possible reason I can come up with is that Marty doesn't wanna give too much away for Green Bay and the rest of what we have coming up. Makes no sense running this much out of the gun, those plays took way too long to develop. Not to mention that Bohanon is actually good.

I'm fine with the read options they have him doing.  I can handle a QB draw.  The rest of that sh*t is for the birds.

He was never a running QB.  Not sure why they're trying to turn him into one.  Let him scramble, use his athleticism and pull it down and run with it when he sees some daylight, etc. but dont get him killed out there.

Geno can throw.  This is a passing league.  Lets not complicate things.  

Yep its a passing league where defense and the running game reign supreme. That being said, I still think Geno can do some designed runs if they take him out of bounds or if he slides a bit sooner. He certainly is fast and when openings present themselves with players down field a lot of space opens up quick as do a lot of yards.

I'm just Happy he's fixed some of his mechanic issues the kid must have worked very hard in the offseason . I love the fact he's learned fairly quickly to step up in the pocket and stop throwing off the back foot. That alone will help him zip the ball in there and avoid Int's much better than last year. The Woodson Int was an incredible play it was obvious Geno saw Woodson he just never expected that type of play .

Another thing that will help Geno when it comes to scrambling and running is it seems this group of WR's don't give up when Geno starts scrambling like Holmes used to do regularly

This crap with getting all the way down the field and bringing Vick in as a WR or bringing him in to throw a pass or run the wildcat etc. needs to get thrown out of the playbook. It is not fooling anyone and takes away from Geno's rhythm with the offense. We've been there, done that with Sancheese and Teblow ... no thanks. The option is good from time to time but Geno needs to learn to slide and not to try to lower his shoulder into defenders. I also don't want to see Geno running up the middle in general.

Yes. Instead of throwing that short hopeless (insert correct play here) pass, test them with different types of plays BEYOND the marker. Why not even go long every now and then? Just don´t play it safe every goddamn time.

As much as I love the screen game they're running, it almost becomes too much they have such confidence in it.  Almost 90% of those 3rd and longs, they ran either a WR screen or a RB screen.  I like those plays but not at the cost of never trying to throw beyond the first down marker.

I think there were at least two yesterday that were on bad snaps/him not getting the ball cleanly.

For sure and one looked like a botched play all together...Geno expecting the RB to be somewhere he wasnt.

Don't really understand the value of Vick lining up as a WR at all. Also, we also have some good power backs and some good redzone targets, why are we still running the same chicken sh*t offense that we were running when we didn't actually have those things?

I didnt either until we saw 2 wide open receivers in the endzone on that fake end around.  He makes you account in a different fashion.  That said, I agree 100%.   3 backs who can find the endzone and 5 receivers over 6'4.  Just line up and out right beat them. That cute sh*t is for the birds.

The only possible reason I can come up with is that Marty doesn't wanna give too much away for Green Bay and the rest of what we have coming up. Makes no sense running this much out of the gun, those plays took way too long to develop. Not to mention that Bohanon is actually good.

What we can't do vs those teams coming up is run too much hurry up. We certainly don't want those QB's on the field after a quick 3 and out in the hurry up. We need to run the ball down their throats and keep guys like Rogers on the sideline while beating down their defense. That's how you break those big runs in the 4th quarter like we did Sunday and did a few times in 09 and 10 in the playoffs with Shonn Greene . Pound them into submission

What we can't do vs those teams coming up is run too much hurry up. We certainly don't want those QB's on the field after a quick 3 and out in the hurry up. We need to run the ball down their throats and keep guys like Rogers on the sideline while beating down their defense. That's how you break those big runs in the 4th quarter like we did Sunday and did a few times in 09 and 10 in the playoffs with Shonn Greene . Pound them into submission

There's a balance to be found with Geno. I get it. He's still more comfortable a couple steps back, that's fine. But you can't keep going 3-5 wide in short yardage situations. You just can't.

I think there were at least two yesterday that were on bad snaps/him not getting the ball cleanly.

The one bad snap I remember was supposed to be a handoff to Ivory. Geno did a good job and the smart thing by keeping it for a short gain. Better than trying to hand off and fumbling one the timing was ruined

Yep its a passing league where defense and the running game reign supreme. That being said, I still think Geno can do some designed runs if they take him out of bounds or if he slides a bit sooner. He certainly is fast and when openings present themselves with players down field a lot of space opens up quick as do a lot of yards.

I'm just Happy he's fixed some of his mechanic issues the kid must have worked very hard in the offseason . I love the fact he's learned fairly quickly to step up in the pocket and stop throwing off the back foot. That alone will help him zip the ball in there and avoid Int's much better than last year. The Woodson Int was an incredible play it was obvious Geno saw Woodson he just never expected that type of play .

Another thing that will help Geno when it comes to scrambling and running is it seems this group of WR's don't give up when Geno starts scrambling like Holmes used to do regularly

Agreed with all of this, even the Holmes comment. ;-)

The one thing I kept thinking about that you just cant see on the TV is, how many times when he scrambled did someone get open down field?  Because the day he starts getting confident in moving around AND throwing down field, will be a really good day in Jets land.  Simms alluded to him missing Kerley down field on the play he picked up a big 3rd and long with his feet.  Not going to kill him for it because we got the first...but the thing that makes guys like Rodgers, Big Ben, Wilson, etc. special, is their ability to keep their eyes down field when scrambling.  

It looked like he was looking down field but curious to know what he saw.

The problems he had yesterday, as I mentioned a few times, are among the easiest to fix.

Sliding? Not hard at all.

Having a better sense of game situation (barely into FG range + 3rd down + late in the game + a FG makes it a 3-score game)? Easy, once he knows enough to know enough.

These aren't concepts that take QBs years to learn. More likely that they take paying a price for not playing it right. Like with many things, you have to do something wrong to be able to identify that it is wrong, before it gets fixed/addressed.

Throwing off the back foot as a matter of routine or his comfort zone was much more of a concern than being overzealous (not sliding on his fumbles & not throwing it away when he took that 19 yard sack). Every QB fumbles, every QB throws picks, every QB gets sacked, etc. He's learning and he seems way, way ahead of where he was a year ago at this time. Good news for us all.  

Even better is that in order for Smith to get smacked in the face with these learning experiences, we didn't have to lose the game or see him get seriously (or even mildly) injured. Now that's IF he uses these as learning experiences instead of doing these same things repeatedly for the rest of the season. But so far he seems a quick learner. He started sliding feet first already in the 2nd half.

There's a balance to be found with Geno. I get it. He's still more comfortable a couple steps back, that's fine. But you can't keep going 3-5 wide in short yardage situations. You just can't.

hey I agree I was going nuts when it was 1st and goal and we didn't run it down their throats I mean we have CJ and Ivory ...with both of them on the field you get just about every option available Power Speed Hands (CJ) I mean why bring in Vick and have Geno run ? It reminded me of the Playoff game In Pittsburgh

Yep!  Keep Rodgers off the field.  The way Seattle ran all over them, you got to think the Jets will put on that tape and start licking their chops. The Packers look really weak upfront, on both sides of the ball.  And the Jets look really strong up front, on both sides of the ball.

The Seahawks ran the ball 37 times and threw it 28 times.   That sounds like a good ratio for the Jets in Green Bay.

The other thing they'll notice (because I just did in the box score), the Packers only had 2 WR's catch a pass, Nelson (9) and Cobb (6).  The rest was the TE Quarles (3) and both Lacy (3) and Starks (2).  If that's the depth of their playmakers, that's bodes well for the Jets.

Agreed with all of this, even the Holmes comment. ;-)

The one thing I kept thinking about that you just cant see on the TV is, how many times when he scrambled did someone get open down field?  Because the day he starts getting confident in moving around AND throwing down field, will be a really good day in Jets land.  Simms alluded to him missing Kerley down field on the play he picked up a big 3rd and long with his feet.  Not going to kill him for it because we got the first...but the thing that makes guys like Rodgers, Big Ben, Wilson, etc. special, is their ability to keep their eyes down field when scrambling.  

It looked like he was looking down field but curious to know what he saw.

Yep all that will come with experience and VIDEO WORK the more the kid looks at film and relates it to certain plays in the game the better he will become. It really all depends on how much of that effort he puts in cause its the same reason all those guys you mentioned are great.

Yep all that will come with experience and VIDEO WORK the more the kid looks at film and relates it to certain plays in the game the better he will become. It really all depends on how much of that effort he puts in cause its the same reason all those guys you mentioned are great.

He's got those qualities, to an extent...he just needs to put it all together.  Supposedly he's a film junkie.  Hopefully he can.  I like the kids game.

Archived