How do we feel about Geno's designed runs?

BroadwayJets

Yep!  Keep Rodgers off the field.  The way Seattle ran all over them, you got to think the Jets will put on that tape and start licking their chops. The Packers look really weak upfront, on both sides of the ball.  And the Jets look really strong up front, on both sides of the ball.

The Seahawks ran the ball 37 times and threw it 28 times.   That sounds like a good ratio for the Jets in Green Bay.

The other thing they'll notice (because I just did in the box score), the Packers only had 2 WR's catch a pass, Nelson (9) and Cobb (6).  The rest was the TE Quarles (3) and both Lacy (3) and Starks (2).  If that's the depth of their playmakers, that's bodes well for the Jets.

Yep Seattle gave us the blue print . I think we can pretty much beat up on Green Bay just like we did this week with Oakland just avoid the dumb mistakes and we will be good to go :) . I say give Matthews a big dose of Ivory Run right at his ass and beat him into the ground open up play action late in the game all while looking at Rogers on the sidelines just itching to get in the game heh

The problems he had yesterday, as I mentioned a few times, are among the easiest to fix.

Sliding? Not hard at all.

Having a better sense of game situation (barely into FG range + 3rd down + late in the game + a FG makes it a 3-score game)? Easy, once he knows enough to know enough.

These aren't concepts that take QBs years to learn. More likely that they take paying a price for not playing it right. Like with many things, you have to do something wrong to be able to identify that it is wrong, before it gets fixed/addressed.

Throwing off the back foot as a matter of routine or his comfort zone was much more of a concern than being overzealous (not sliding on his fumbles & not throwing it away when he took that 19 yard sack). Every QB fumbles, every QB throws picks, every QB gets sacked, etc. He's learning and he seems way, way ahead of where he was a year ago at this time. Good news for us all.  

Even better is that in order for Smith to get smacked in the face with these learning experiences, we didn't have to lose the game or see him get seriously (or even mildly) injured. Now that's IF he uses these as learning experiences instead of doing these same things repeatedly for the rest of the season. But so far he seems a quick learner. He started sliding feet first already in the 2nd half.

No doubt Sperm there are certain things a QB should never ever do Rookie or no rookie and scrambling out of field goal range is one of those inexcusable situations.

I'm fine with the read options they have him doing.  I can handle a QB draw.  The rest of that sh*t is for the birds.

He was never a running QB.  Not sure why they're trying to turn him into one.  Let him scramble, use his athleticism and pull it down and run with it when he sees some daylight, etc. but dont get him killed out there.

Geno can throw.  This is a passing league.  Lets not complicate things.  

GROUND AND POUND!!!   Even the QB is a pounder !   :D

No doubt Sperm there are certain things a QB should never ever do Rookie or no rookie and scrambling out of field goal range is one of those inexcusable situations.

Not disputing that at all, because I agree. But he's not the first QB to do that and won't be the last.

Further, it's also one of the easiest things in the world to fix. He got a first-hand lesson as to WHY you don't do that, and we didn't have to lose the game for the point to be illustrated more colorfully. I sense he's going to hear it plenty this week, and doubtlessly he's already heard it some already.

This crap with getting all the way down the field and bringing Vick in as a WR or bringing him in to throw a pass or run the wildcat etc. needs to get thrown out of the playbook. It is not fooling anyone and takes away from Geno's rhythm with the offense. We've been there, done that with Sancheese and Teblow ... no thanks. The option is good from time to time but Geno needs to learn to slide and not to try to lower his shoulder into defenders. I also don't want to see Geno running up the middle in general.

Actually, the one they had Vicks getting the ball from the right end was a brilliant play, Vicks just missed a wide open Decker.  How can you miss a receiver that is freaking wide open 5 yards away when you are a proven veteran QB.  I hope Marty repeat that play again in the near future, It fooled the Raiders' defense yesterday. 

I'm no fan of the designed runs at all. A QB sneak for half a yard? Sure. A read-react QB draw. Okay, fine. But they should be very limited. I love when Geno sees nothing open, pulls the ball down and runs. That's smart and effective. That should also be more than 90% of the time he runs the ball. The Jets have good RBs, let them run the football.

5-12 on 3rd downs for the offense, that's not very good and has to improve if they want to win in Green Bay.  They were in a lot of 3rd and longs because of penalties in which it looked like they just settled for a punt...but still, cant be converting that low on 3rd and expecting to beat better teams.

It's not as bad as it seems.

3rd & 1 - Ivory up the gut for 3 (1st down)

3rd & 21 - Nothing open down past the 1st down marker, took the sure yardage (10 yds) to set up a 35 yard FG for Folk. That Brick made it a 45 yarder, which Folk still made, doesn't negate that it was a successful 3rd down play even if we didn't get the first down. (FG)

3rd & 8 - Pass to Kerley goes for 21 yards, ball was thrown past the marker (1st down)

3rd & 8 - Colon false start

3rd & 13 - Geno scrambles for 17 (1st down)

3rd & 9 - WR screen to Decker for 2 yards. The whole series was sucky, but the playcalling seemed even worse due to Amaro dropping the 2nd down pass that hit him in the hands in stride. (punt)

3rd & 8 - Geno scrambles for 8 yards (1st down)

3rd & 4 - Geno shovel pass to CJ (TD)

3rd & 7 - deep pass to Decker for 19 yds (1st down) called back for bullsh*t offensive PI.

3rd & 16 - dumpoff to CJ for 4 yds (punt)

3rd & 4 - Geno sacked, fumbles & recovers his own fumble (FG)

3rd & 4 - CJ for 1 yard (punt)

3rd & 3 - Geno takes a 19 yard sack, dropping us back from the 20 to the 39 (punt)

3rd & 1 - Ivory for -2 yards (Jets just running out the clock) (punt)

---

Geno running backwards out of FG range is inexcusable. He has to know where he is and the game situation (FG makes it a 2-score game in the 4th quarter). To be fair, in a 6-point game with Geno throwing bullseyes on almost every pass attempt, Oakland can't just key on the run, and the next Jets play on offense was Ivory's 71-yard run. In other words, if we took over the next possession with a 9-point lead with 8 minutes left, Oakland may have played the run all the way and then, perhaps, Ivory doesn't get that long TD. Certainly not automatic that he gets a 71-yard TD either way, as the play call might not have even been the same.

7 non-conversions out of 12.

- 2 of them were appropriate "do no harm" gains where we still put points on the board (the 2 FGs)

- 1 of them we did convert the 1st but the refs took it away and made it a low-percentage (for anyone) 3rd & 16.

- 1 of them we were just draining clock or forcing Oakland to use a TO. Not saying they weren't trying to get a 1st down, but they were only trying to get one if they could get it on the ground when the primary concern was not to turn it over or let the clock stop.

Even allowing full criticism of the last one (would have been nice to get that last conversion and drain the clock some more), 2 of the 7 misses weren't really bad outcomes and another was on the refs not on the Jets.

So the numbers don't tell the whole story.  Not a perfect game for the Jets - not close - but they caught a lot of bad breaks and made some dumb mistakes and still walked away with the "W" so I'm happy.

I think designed runs should be part of the playbook, but only used sparingly.  I'd say once per game at most, maybe even once every two games or so.  He's going to to get his carries organically.  My biggest concern coming out of the game yesterday was his prolonged health if those types of collisions are a constant.  

Archived