Jets missed on real CBs like DRC ...

Clementi49

All about matchups in GB. Allen has to cover Jordy and Miiliner has to cover Cobb. Wilson covers Boykin. It won't be as bad as people think. James Starks won't go anywhere vs our front 7. We will see. GB is terrible vs the run. Lot of advantages for us this week. GB has to be one dimensional. Plus The a Packers run and pass D isn't that good.

I had this great idea to post about John Idzick's idiotic decision to pass on DRC. I should have known that there would be 2 pages of post already haha. How dumb was Idzdick, DRC is a beast he's obviously playing like sh*t on purpose so that teams underestimate him and throw at him. Not only is he a super talented CB, he's also a master strategist. Idzdick and the Jets suck so much why do we always fail so hard...

Sarcasm for you slower folk. Lets go Jets were taking over this city.

• Upvote 1

Johnson is probably the most physically gifted WR to ever play in the NFL so I'm not sure exactly what the point is.  the only CB I have ever seen cover C Johnson was Revis in 2010 when he completely shut him down. 

You all are fellating Idzik for giving Dimitri Patterson a $3M contract and not properly addressing the CB situation.... I just don't get it. 

The Jets beat a bad Raiders team, at home, with a rookie QB and you all are acting like they won the super bowl.   The Jets aren't going 16-0 and Idzik had plenty of room to improve this team further.  It's ok to be a Jet fan and disagree with some of the moves the GM makes - especially when that ends up being the difference b/w making and not making the playoffs.    

• Thumb Down 2

Do you think this secondary would be better with DRC? Yes or no?

Whether he's an upgrade or not is only half the story. They wanted to go with their own guy in the draft, ideally, because of how over-inflated the CB market was. Sucks that he got injured, sucks even more that Milliner got injured at the same time, and sucks even more than THAT that in addition to that Patterson looked like he never played the position before (followed by walking out on the team like a pouty bitch).

I think it's obvious Idzik was willing to take a shot on DRC, but not willing to bet more than just the upcoming season on him performing. For all you over-exaggeration about Idzik making no effort to bring in anyone at the position, which is patently false as everyone knows, Idzik DID make DRC an offer. It was the amount he was willing to pay, because there was such a high risk of him being crap. It's not accidental that he's now playing for his 4th team in 5 years. The Giants outbid us and overpaid; it's not smart job to outbid someone who's already made an overpayment offer themselves.

And so far tonight DRC looks worse than our converted linebacker/safety, playing the position for the first time in his life.

Fact is that for all DRC's natural ability, which he's got plenty of, most seasons he has been a bad CB. That he only shows up (again) when he's playing for a new deal is justifiable cause to be conservative in extending a new contract to him.

• Upvote 1

Johnson is probably the most physically gifted WR to ever play in the NFL so I'm not sure exactly what the point is.  the only CB I have ever seen cover C Johnson was Revis in 2010 when he completely shut him down. 

You all are fellating Idzik for giving Dimitri Patterson a $3M contract and not properly addressing the CB situation.... I just don't get it. 

The Jets beat a bad Raiders team, at home, with a rookie QB and you all are acting like they won the super bowl.   The Jets aren't going 16-0 and Idzik had plenty of room to improve this team further.  It's ok to be a Jet fan and disagree with some of the moves the GM makes - especially when that ends up being the difference b/w making and not making the playoffs.

No one is acting like we just won the superbowl.

No one is or has been fellating Idzik for signing Dimitri Patterson.

What else have you got?

Indeed. John Idzik doesn't make stupid investments like that, he signs proven winners like Dimitri Patterson instead.

And clearly our secondary is no concern at all, given the way they handled that powerhouse Raiders passing game.

Signing Patterson as part of a secondary for small money makes a hell of a lot more sense than paying huge bucks for DRC over the years he got if this is the kind of play DRC would have given us.

This isn't even close to being debatable.

And while you're at the excuse game tell us why DRC was beaten by Tata too? Is he unstoppable?

And please, explain what the hell the Jets Raider game has to do with all of this fun?

No one is acting like we just won the superbowl.

No one is or has been fellating Idzik for signing Dimitri Patterson.

What else have you got?

that's pretty much it. and frankly I am surprised we are still debating this_sh*t into the start of the regular season. 

you and I are looking at 2 sides of the same coin on how the position was handled.  I think Idzik had the chance to do more, you think he adjusted well based on where the market went.  I think Idzik mismanaged CB and the draft - you disagree.

Maybe it's nostalgia, but I liked the idea of Revis coming back.   I liked Vontae Davis as a shutdown CB and to a lesser extent I liked DRC - certainly a lot better than Patterson at $3M.   Instead the Jets have a boat load of cap space that isn't going to help this year.     

Not sure how you resolve that one, I know I'm not changing my mind and apparently neither are you.  We are still both Jet fans or we wouldn't spend so much time on this god forsaken team. 

And while you're at the excuse game tell us why DRC was beaten by Tata too? Is he unstoppable?

And please, explain what the hell the Jets Raider game has to do with all of this fun?

You like to be wrong on lots of message boards. Lets not call doc a bust because he can't cover megatron. I still would prefer him over walls or AA.

You like to be wrong on lots of message boards. Lets not call doc a bust because he can't cover megatron. I still would prefer him over walls or AA.

GFY fool. Only you would argue for DRC at his price tonight

Nice first post asswipe, I said why couldn't he cover Tate. Who last time I looked isn't Megatron.

At his price I didn't want DRC and still don't.

Edited by Jet Nut

that's pretty much it. and frankly I am surprised we are still debating this_sh*t into the start of the regular season. 

you and I are looking at 2 sides of the same coin on how the position was handled.  I think Idzik had the chance to do more, you think he adjusted well based on where the market went.  I think Idzik mismanaged CB and the draft - you disagree.

Maybe it's nostalgia, but I liked the idea of Revis coming back.   I liked Vontae Davis as a shutdown CB and to a lesser extent I liked DRC - certainly a lot better than Patterson at $3M.   Instead the Jets have a boat load of cap space that isn't going to help this year.     

Not sure how you resolve that one, I know I'm not changing my mind and apparently neither are you.  We are still both Jet fans or we wouldn't spend so much time on this god forsaken team.

So it sounds like you are in lockstep agreement with Idzik, except for Revis.

To me it's not a matter of who is the best guy we can get our hands on every season. It's what's the best way to build the team. Because in March, 2014 the Jets were not in an "all in" situation.

Renting Revis for a season is a move a team makes when it perceives it is a CB away from the SB.

Overpaying DRC by guaranteeing 2 years minimum, to fill a present/temporary hole, is a move a team makes when it perceives it is a CB away from the SB.

When a team is still building, it tries to fill high-priced positions through the draft, and brings in fallback types the month before that in free agency. In March, the team didn't even know if we had an average NFL QB. That's not an all-in situation for a GM.

I agree we don't see it the same way. Probably I'm just bitter about seeing this franchise lock itself into players who weren't nearly worth the over-bloated contracts it offered so many unworthy players. But I also agree that it's legitimate for fans of this team to be bitter about more than just one thing, and for that to shape their particular discontent.

Me? I'm just happy we have a young QB, with a strong arm, who can throw on target all over the field. The mishaps he had yesterday are among the easiest to fix, and it's reason enough for me to be happy at this point. I'm sure he'll have stinker games as well, but if we have a QB it'll go a long way to covering up a lot of these offseason misfires.

GFY fool. Only you would argue for DRC at his price tonight

Nice first post asswipe, I said why couldn't he cover Tate. Who last time I looked isn't Megatron.

At his price I didn't want DRC and still don't.

Take it easy. We're pretty tolerant here, but we don't allow personal attacks.

Please make your points without the name-calling.

One play burned by megatron. 4-12 team over paid for a sh*tty corner. Thanks john Idzik for sticking to a plan for once and not giving into fan hysteria.

Most fans should not be allow to give their opinion.  Most of the time its useless.  Thank you Idzik for not overpaying for this guy or Revis.

Sorry, he follows me around on different boards, as he admits.

Please bring it to our attention and we'll handle it if it's a problem.

There are a lot of new faces here (to me), and the mods here don't know most of the dirty laundry brought over from other boards, so you will have to bring some of these things to our attention. 

I know it's tough sometimes, because some people just get under one's skin so effortlessly (I have this effect on many, many people). Just try to take the high road and, again, if you're getting stalked please let me or any of the moderators know.

Thanks.

And f*ck DRC.

• Upvote 1

Please bring it to our attention and we'll handle it if it's a problem.

There are a lot of new faces here (to me), and the mods here don't know most of the dirty laundry brought over from other boards, so you will have to bring some of these things to our attention. 

I know it's tough sometimes, because some people just get under one's skin so effortlessly (I have this effect on many, many people). Just try to take the high road and, again, if you're getting stalked please let me or any of the moderators know.

Thanks.

And f*ck DRC.

Not a problem. I get it.

And lol @ DRC

So it sounds like you are in lockstep agreement with Idzik, except for Revis.

To me it's not a matter of who is the best guy we can get our hands on every season. It's what's the best way to build the team. Because in March, 2014 the Jets were not in an "all in" situation.

Renting Revis for a season is a move a team makes when it perceives it is a CB away from the SB.

Overpaying DRC by guaranteeing 2 years minimum, to fill a present/temporary hole, is a move a team makes when it perceives it is a CB away from the SB.

When a team is still building, it tries to fill high-priced positions through the draft, and brings in fallback types the month before that in free agency. In March, the team didn't even know if we had an average NFL QB. That's not an all-in situation for a GM.

I agree we don't see it the same way. Probably I'm just bitter about seeing this franchise lock itself into players who weren't nearly worth the over-bloated contracts it offered so many unworthy players. But I also agree that it's legitimate for fans of this team to be bitter about more than just one thing, and for that to shape their particular discontent.

Me? I'm just happy we have a young QB, with a strong arm, who can throw on target all over the field. The mishaps he had yesterday are among the easiest to fix, and it's reason enough for me to be happy at this point. I'm sure he'll have stinker games as well, but if we have a QB it'll go a long way to covering up a lot of these offseason misfires.

very well put. 

It's refreshing to see Idzik so adamant about avoiding dead money.   They literally have almost zero dead $ going into next year.  

It will be interesting to see where Idzik ultimately makes his "big bets".   Wilkerson is really the only player coming due for a big deal and even that one can be pushed out.  The quality of the draft picks needs to improve but this team definitely has a chance to be good for a while.   As you pointed out it all comes down to Geno.     

I don't think there's one jet fan who thinks the Dimitri Patterson move was a good move, nor do I think there is one jet fan who thinks we are going 16 and 0. Look up megatrons highlights you would agree that tonight would fit right in, look up his stats per game, yes he is probably the best in the league but he has been held in check by more than just revis. He had a career day against the giants mainly DRC and it wasn't only him, golden gate got in some action making DRC look dumb. Its only one game but our corners don't look like we needed to overpay for a very average player. Green bay will be the true test but as long as our corners look average, we've upgraded since last season since our corners were rated close to last in the league last year (despite milliners late surge) and as a plus we are in a great place as far as cap goes. So yeah I think were allowed to be happy.

Man, you really can't admit when you're wrong, can you.

this comment isn't directed right at you, however I don't see where 1 game of a 16 game season can prove any side of the debate right or wrong. I don't like drc, have said as such, and didn't want idzik to sign him. doesn't make the Patterson signing or lack of a real corner signing any better. only time will tell how this corner situation shakes out. with who the jets played and who drc had to cover this week, I wouldn't exactly be throwing my hands up in absolute victory just yet.

this comment isn't directed right at you, however I don't see where 1 game of a 16 game season can prove any side of the debate right or wrong. I don't like drc, have said as such, and didn't want idzik to sign him. doesn't make the Patterson signing or lack of a real corner signing any better. only time will tell how this corner situation shakes out. with who the jets played and who drc had to cover this week, I wouldn't exactly be throwing my hands up in absolute victory just yet.

I think Patterson was a shot in the dark A mil for a guy with the hope that he might come in and play at his highest level. That would not have been bad. The guy has played well in stretches. Also thinking you were drafting a guy(who turned out to be Mc Dougle) who might replace him during the season. It was a bit of a gamble, not a costly one, and it fizzled.

I think Patterson was a shot in the dark A mil for a guy with the hope that he might come in and play at his highest level. That would not have been bad. The guy has played well in stretches. Also thinking you were drafting a guy(who turned out to be Mc Dougle) who might replace him during the season. It was a bit of a gamble, not a costly one, and it fizzled.

The team was banking on Mc Dougle -- the knee injury just came back to bite them in the ass.  Patterson was a place holder and depth signing.   Neither worked out as planned.  $hit happens and you move on.

DRC was the last of the name CBs to get signed during the offseason for a couple good reasons.

1.) He's not very good.

2.) He wanted a lot of money.

Idzik brought him in, made him an offer, and he turned it down. That's all fine. If DRC accepted his offer, though, that would've been fine, too. The Jets are still thin at the position this year. I wasn't all that unhappy about missing out on DRC as I was about missing on a long list of good CBs available this year. I certainly wouldn't've minded Davis at $10M/year. That's the guy Idzik really wanted, but wasn't able to close on.

We'll see how smart this all was at Lambeau this week, I guess.

DRC was the last of the name CBs to get signed during the offseason for a couple good reasons.

1.) He's not very good.

Idzik brought him in, made him an offer, and he turned it down. That's all fine. If DRC accepted his offer, though, that would've been fine, too. The Jets are still thin at the position this year. I wasn't all that unhappy about missing out on DRC as I was about missing on a long list of good CBs available this year. I certainly wouldn't've minded Davis at $10M/year. That's the guy Idzik really wanted, but wasn't able to close on.

You left out the part about him contemplating retirement. Giving a sh*t has got to be something that matters too.

• Upvote 1

1.) He's not very good.

Agree 100%. Its apparent to anyone who followed this that Idzik was only mildly interested in DRC. He did bring him in and for whatever reason wasn't fully interested in him or probably more to the point wasn't interested in DRC at the. Only and years he was talking. If they wanted him they wouldn't have let him leave the building without an agreement. Most fans just wanted him to sign someone and could care less about the money. For about a week, then if DRC had a game like last night bit in a jet uniform these same fans would be calling Idzik out for throwing money away on this player.

You left out the part about him contemplating retirement. Giving a sh*t has got to be something that matters too.

Which IMO is why Idzik didn't offer a deal with more than 1 year of guarantees. Long-term DRC might have made more on another 1-year deal, on Ryan's D, but it's easy for me to sit here in front of my computer and say the guy should risk another $7-9M of guaranteed money (can't remember the exact difference between Idzik's guarantee offer and the one he signed from Reese).

Just like I'm quite certain Revis could have gotten a LOT more guaranteed $ than he got from NE. He felt - correctly, if he stays healthy and has another probowl season - that a show-me deal (a 1 year/$12M show me deal, lol) would make him more overall than getting locked in for the next 2-3 years, even if he could have gotten another $10M or more guaranteed. Compared to DRC, though, Revis has a considerably larger mountain of money from past earnings. So if this ends up a flop of a decision for Revis (if he busts his ACL again) he still has more cash already than a dozen kids & grandkids should be able to spend.